MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Sarkozy Campaign Received 'illegal' Donation

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:58 am

Nicolas Sarkozy campaign received 'illegal' donation, claim

oh no... not me!   

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ceived-illegal-donation-claim.html

France's richest woman made an illegal cash donation to the election campaign of President Nicolas Sarkozy, it has been claimed.

Lilian Bettencourt, the billionaire L'Oreal heiress currently at the centre of tax evasion allegations, was said to have provided an envelope stuffed with cash in 2007.
It amounted to €150,000 (£125,000), according to a former accountant for the 87-year-old.

Mr Sarkozy has firmly denied receiving the money directly – but his spokesman would not rule out the possibility of it having been received by other campaign staff.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ceived-illegal-donation-claim.html

Political donations in France are limited to €4,600 for individuals, and cash contributions cannot exceed €150.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Aesma

RE: Sarkozy Campaign Received 'illegal' Donation

Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:00 am

Big surprise here...NOT !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:03 am

It looks like we know only a little about what really happened. The rest will be kept under cover as all the protagonists are in the highest places. No doubt the most important facts will be hidden from the general public. Also, we are in the height of the Summer holiday season with people more concerned with the World Cup, the Tour de France and their holidays with family. We will see what happens come September. It will probably be business as usual. Sarkozy can sleep on his own two ears, the days of May 1968 revolt are long gone.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...gation-over-illegal-donations.html

Nicolas Sarkozy was at the centre of a criminal investigation today following claims that he regularly received illegal payments from France's richest woman.
She is said to have provided Mr Sarkozy with "manila envelopes stuffed with cash" following dinner parties at her mansion house in the upmarket suburb of Neuilly-sur-Seine, where Mr Sarkozy was once mayor and still keeps a home.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...gation-over-illegal-donations.html

[Edited 2010-07-08 02:08:48]

iakobos

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:24 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 2):
It looks like we know only a little about what really happened.

Even less perhaps ? but just enough apparently for some to jump on the occasion  

ManuCH
Crew

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:26 am

I think the real problem here is that there's a legal limit for political donations. Heck, if I were rich, I sure would want to donate whatever I want for whatever purpose.

[Edited 2010-07-08 04:26:32]
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Aesma

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:56 pm

It's not a problem, we don't like our politicians to be bought. Even like that Sarkozy is clearly friends with the rich and powerful.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 pm

well... the latest is that they now all deny having done anything...   
all innocents, yes... trust me!

this is on both sides...

The woman's accountant denies that they gave the money to Sarko and those from his polotical party (as if we could trust them)
the others are denying that they received any money from the uber-wealthy Mrs Bettencourt (L'Oreal heiress)

Much too easy... istn't it?