Aaron747
Topic Author

Mom 'Proud' Of Her Just-Caught "Barefoot Bandit"

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 pm

By now everyone has heard of this 19 year-old kid who stole his way from WA to IN, only to end up in the Bahamas after flying himself there. A difficult feat, yes, but at last he has finally been caught.

Police captured American teenager before dawn Sunday following a high-speed boat chase in off Eleuthera, one of two sparsely populated tourist islands where he allegedly committed a string of burglaries since crash-landing a plane in the Bahamas a week earlier.

It was only the latest caper for the teen from rural Camano Island, Washington, who is suspected of stealing cars, boats and at least five airplanes during a run from the law that began with his 2008 escape from a halfway house.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...g0HuCqAC4S1vDdZDuEso6S73QD9GTONV01

Now despite the fact this young guy is obviously pretty smart to have done all this, he's also a hell of a crook. What say ye about this reaction from his mother though - who apparently is very proud of her son. She did express that she's glad he was caught since she doesn't have to worry about his safety any longer, and anyone can understand that, but she goes on to say that she's proud he was able to learn to fly by himself:

"I just want to hug him," she said. "I'm proud that he can fly planes with no lessons. You're damn right I am."

Kohler said, as a boy, Harris-Moore loved animals and dreamed of having his own airport. She also provided childhood drawings and a Mother’s Day card from her son.

Just don't know what to make of that! Sounds like quite the interesting family...truth is truly stranger than fiction.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/24008105/detail.html
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

FX772LRF

RE: Mom 'Proud' Of Her Just-Caught "Barefoot Bandit"

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:22 pm

I respect him for what he did. It took a lot of courage to do what he did. As was stated above, he must be extremely smart.

I was actually talking to my dad today, and he told me about this whole story, and he mentioned that he was flying planes that he stole. I looked at him and said "You know how he learned? Flight Simulator." It's sort of unreal how Flight Simulator can train people to fly.

Also, one of the planes he stole was from KBMG, in Bloomington, Indiana. I actually just moved from there, to where I'm currently located. From what I remember, I was actually in town when he stole the plane. The amazing thing is that BMG just recently installed 10 foot fences, with steel gates and doors, which all have combination keypads. It'll be interesting to learn how he got around that.

I don't condone what he did exactly, but I do respect him for it.

-Noah.   
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

zanl188

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:47 pm

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 1):

Why?

He's screwed up his life... perhaps with an adverse impact on his immediate family... He robbed his way across country... Committed a number of home invasions.. Threatened to shoot at least one person..

Could've ended up dead half a dozen different ways... & flight simulator might help someone learn how to manipulate the controls of an aircraft but it doesn't teach anyone how to fly....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

comorin

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Great. She can put up a sign on the back of her SUV that says "My son is a convicted felon and I'm proud of it".

ShyFlyer

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:50 pm

She can feel anyway she wants too about her son...but I think she should have just kept that "pride" to herself.

I can't respect anyone that steals from others.
I lift things up and put them down.

sw733

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Based on what I have read, had she been a better mother, her kid would not have been such a "F up" in life

I respect him for what he did. It took a lot of courage to do what he did.

Yes yes, those admirable criminals. I have so much respect for people who rob from hard working people.

FX772LRF

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 5):
Yes yes, those admirable criminals. I have so much respect for people who rob from hard working people.
Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 4):
I can't respect anyone that steals from others.
Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 2):

I think I meant to put it as I think it's sort of "cool" in a way. It's just interesting how someone can evade police for two years, at his age.

I'll agree that I don't respect anyone that steals from others. I just meant to put it as I think what he did was interesting.

-Noah.   
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

ShyFlyer

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 pm

It's not very "cool" either, especially if you were one of his victims.

FX772LRF

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 7):
It's not very "cool" either, especially if you were one of his victims.

Well, it's an opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

-Noah.   

Mir

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Both of them should be locked up. Him for all the crap he pulled, and her for being supportive of it. Fox has gone after the rights to a movie about this whole thing - I hope that it never sees the light of day, but if it does, I hope the two of them never see a single cent of the profits before they both get their lives back in order and start contributing to society instead of taking from it.

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 6):
I think I meant to put it as I think it's sort of "cool" in a way.

I don't consider stealing and crashing airplanes to be a particularly cool thing to do. He's obviously not an idiot - how about if he did something useful with his intelligence rather than joyriding and destroying the property of others. That would be cool.

It's sort of unreal how Flight Simulator can train people to fly.

Well, he couldn't land worth a damn. Like most FS pilots (nothing against FS, or those who play it, but it is a piss-poor way to learn how to land).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

FX772LRF

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:58 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
Both of them should be locked up. Him for all the crap he pulled, and her for being supportive of it. Fox has gone after the rights to a movie about this whole thing - I hope that it never sees the light of day, but if it does, I hope the two of them never see a single cent of the profits before they both get their lives back in order and start contributing to society instead of taking from it.

I agree.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
Well, he couldn't land worth a damn. Like most FS pilots (nothing against FS, or those who play it, but it is a piss-poor way to learn how to land).

Yeah, it's not going to make anyone into a world-class pilot, but it can help people along - which might be bad thing. It sort of gives people the wrong message, and it makes it seem like if they can fly in FS, they can fly in the real world.

-Noah.   

TheCommodore

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:52 am

I respect him for what he did.

You cant be serious

So you do or you don't ?
I can't understand how you could have any respect for this moron. The cost to the community and individuals is enormous, all caused by this twit.
Lets hope they lock him up for a long time, that way he can think about the hassle he has caused so many.

And as for is mother, lock her up as well, just for being dumb !
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

BMIFlyer

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:55 am

Wow, what a story......
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

dl021

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:00 am

I have a lot of respect for his innate talents and ability. Much as I respect the grizzly bear for being a giant, territorial predator, or the murderous terrorist who's planting IEDs in roadways.....I respect their ability to hurt me, and will plan accordingly. As a person I have zero respect for this kid, but some sympathy. I don't think he's been raised right at all, and is acting out as a result of a completely undisciplined upbringing.

At some point, however, he has to take responsibility. Stealing and flying that airplane endangered people across the country. He wasn't qualified to fly it and couldn't have done the right thing if things hadn't gone smoothly.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

DocLightning

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:16 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 13):
I have a lot of respect for his innate talents and ability.

Bingo. But I'm hoping the U.S. government does, too. This kid would make a great special ops/intelligence agent. Many times, kids like this need to be shown to use their skills appropriately, and he has a lot of skills. It would be a shame to lock him up when he could actually be very useful.

He's not evil and murderous. He's not assaulted anyone or harmed anyone in any way. He is, however, obviously very smart, very under-challenged, and nobody taught him how to behave as a civilized member of society.

If someone in the CIA or DoD is smart, they will figure out how to give this kid an out of his sentence... if he works for them.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

FX772LRF

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:30 am

That's what I was going for!

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 11):
You cant be serious

I am, but I didn't phrase it right. DL021 said it the way I wanted it to come across.

I respect his abilities, but I don't respect or condone what he did with them.

I hope that makes things clear. I don't respect anyone that steals or endangers people.

-Noah.   

zanl188

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):
This kid would make a great special ops/intelligence agent.

You've been watching too many movies...

TheCommodore

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:40 am

He's not assaulted anyone or harmed anyone in any way.

Well he did endanger a lot of peoples lives by flying, when he's not entitled to do so !

What would you have said about him if he had crashed and killed someone ?
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):

They did a movie about Frank Abagnale with "Catch Me If You Can". So not as far fetched as you might think.

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):
She did express that she's glad he was caught since she doesn't have to worry about his safety any longer, and anyone can understand that

Unless he gets gang raped in the prison shower.

If someone in the CIA or DoD is smart, they will figure out how to give this kid an out of his sentence... if he works for them.

Why? I wouldn't want to work along side this guy.   
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

NIKV69

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:11 am

If someone in the CIA or DoD is smart, they will figure out how to give this kid an out of his sentence... if he works for them

Let me guess your favorite movie is catch me if I can? From what I read he cried like a bitch when he was caught so I don't want him doing anything for this country except scrubbing the floors of his cell block after he has been passed around for smokes. What has he done that makes him so qualified to be CIA? He hid in the woods and stole from people.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:32 am

Sorry, I'm not quite sure how successful burglarizing on many occasions gives someone the necessary background for intelligence.

As a person I have zero respect for this kid, but some sympathy. I don't think he's been raised right at all, and is acting out as a result of a completely undisciplined upbringing.

Totally agree. They were showing this woman's home earlier - and she seems to be a bit of a nutcase. She has retained an attorney to advance her "entertainment interests" yet she put a sign in front of her property for the news media that reads "anyone who goes past this point will be shot". Certainly not who I'd like to have for a mother!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

JBirdAV8r

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:36 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 20):

Sorry, I'm not quite sure how successful burglarizing on many occasions gives someone the necessary background for intelligence.

Agree. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the things he's done. Boats and airplanes are a cinch to break into, hot-wire and steal. The only thing, IMHO, that's kept him on the lam for so long is extreme teenage hubris.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

TheCol

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:57 am

I respect him for what he did. It took a lot of courage to do what he did. As was stated above, he must be extremely smart.

You wouldn't be saying that if he plowed into a house after takeoff or during his decent into to paradise.

Quoting comorin (Reply 3):

Quoting sw733 (Reply 5):
Based on what I have read, had she been a better mother, her kid would not have been such a "F up" in life

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
Both of them should be locked up. Him for all the crap he pulled, and her for being supportive of it.

So, in other words, you agree with his mother.  

He won't learn by being rewarded with a government job. He made some serious mistakes and he has to suffer the consequences of his actions. Being the "obviously very smart" kid that he his, he is smart enough to know right from wrong. Maybe when he has served his time and straightens himself out, then he can apply his life skills to improve society or whatever the hell you think he's capable of.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

BlueElephant

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:59 am

This kid would make a great special ops/intelligence agent. Many times, kids like this need to be shown to use their skills appropriately, and he has a lot of skills. It would be a shame to lock him up when he could actually be very useful.

I was actually thinking this. He did everything the wrong/hard way but obviously has a talent of breaking into things.

Its not uncommon for thieves and criminals to work for the FBI/CIA...If the kid is groomed for it I bet he's got a lot of potential.

If not, I bet he's going to make a lot of money selling his life story to some producers / write a book.

Catch Me If You Can 2 anyone?

stratosphere

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:11 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 18):
They did a movie about Frank Abagnale with "Catch Me If You Can". So not as far fetched as you might think.

LOL you beat me too it. Have you ever read the book? The movie does not really do it justice. I saw the movie and read the book and the book I can assure you that you wont put it down until you read it cover to cover. It was really amazing. Of course he could never have got away with what he did with todays technology but a great read and Abagnale was hired to help catch people for bank fraud I believe.

BMI727

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:09 am

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 24):
Abagnale was hired to help catch people for bank fraud I believe.

He has now made millions as a consultant helping to design more secure documents.

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):
"I'm proud that he can fly planes with no lessons. You're damn right I am."

I wonder how proud she would be if he killed himself flying a plane with no lessons? Hell, my mom probably wouldn't want me flying planes even if I had lessons.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

KPDX

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:14 am

This.

Even though what he did was very criminal, no one can lie what he did was amazing. Now if only he didn't corner himself in the Bahamas, who knows how long it would be till he was caught.
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

fridgmus

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:29 am

Bingo. But I'm hoping the U.S. government does, too. This kid would make a great special ops/intelligence agent. Many times, kids like this need to be shown to use their skills appropriately, and he has a lot of skills. It would be a shame to lock him up when he could actually be very useful.

He's not evil and murderous. He's not assaulted anyone or harmed anyone in any way. He is, however, obviously very smart, very under-challenged, and nobody taught him how to behave as a civilized member of society.

BINGO DOC! My thoughts exactly!

Yes, he should be punished, but afterward, he should be rehabilitated and his abilities put to good use. Just imagine the good he could do if they were channeled properly!

This kid has Special Forces written all over him!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

MD-90

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:04 am

I think there are too many people responding to this thread who have watched too much TV regarding government service and who they seek as agents. I'll take Hollywood for $500, Alex.

And if he stole MY 2009 Cessna Corvalis TT that I paid good money for and ditched it I'd want his hide and full restitution.

Although I guess the moral of the story is buy an SR22TN instead of the Corvalis TT. He tried to steal an SR22 in Pella, Iowa but couldn't get in, so he stole the FBO's courtesy car instead.

KevinL1011

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:15 am

Anyone know what his A.net user name is?   
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

Maverick623

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:55 am

BMG just recently installed 10 foot fences
It'll be interesting to learn how he got around that.

A ladder, or running start?

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):

As mentioned before; Catch Me If You Can.

No, he wouldn't. His ego is way too big.

Quoting TheCol (Reply 22):

You wouldn't be saying that if he plowed into a house after takeoff or during his decent into to paradise.

Except he didn't, which automatically negates that argument.

Flying, I think, is easier than driving... which explains why you can fly solo before you can drive a car solo.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

ltbewr

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:02 am

There has probably been $500,000 or more paid in insurance claims due to this clown's actions. Various USA states and now the Country of the Bahamas have had to and further spend maybe many $100,000's in police, court, jail, social service and related costs for their respective taxpayers as well occupied their time from other important needs. He has stolen people's property in various places with the incalculable cost, emotional toll and hassles to a number of people.

His theft of aircraft, even if for 'joyrides' put him and who knows how many people at risk of death or injury had he crashed into a home or business. Think of the guy who crashed his a/c into an IRS office building in Texas or the kid who few into a building in Tampa. What if some terrorist stole similar small a/c as he did, but loaded them with high explosives and flew it into a major city center?

I hope he gets many years in jail, his mom face financial ruin and absolutly no movie or book of him made to glorify his seriously criminal behaviors or any monies from them. Some states that he did his crimes in could have limits on being able to profit on any book and movie from his crimes, the monies would have to go to victim restitution funds. Some if any funds should also got to the various government

Mir

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:02 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 18):

I'm aware of that. But the thought of the family making a profit off of his choice to be a thief is ridiculous.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 23):
If not, I bet he's going to make a lot of money selling his life story to some producers / write a book.

What sort of message does that send? People all over the country are going to go to work today trying to make an honest living for themselves and their families. Maybe they should resort to crime instead, and then sell the rights to books and movies - they'd probably make more money out of it.  

If this kid wants to do what Abagnale did and use his talents for good after he's done with prison, I have no problem with him making money doing so. But not before.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

BlueElephant

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 32):
What sort of message does that send? People all over the country are going to go to work today trying to make an honest living for themselves and their families. Maybe they should resort to crime instead, and then sell the rights to books and movies - they'd probably make more money out of it.

If this kid wants to do what Abagnale did and use his talents for good after he's done with prison, I have no problem with him making money doing so. But not before.

You're absolutely correct. I'm not condoning what this kid did....I think it was criminal and he should be punished. But as mentioned above he should be rehabilitated and use his powers for good.

I think Abagnale is now a security consultant....Which would suggest that is very possible to rehabilitate.

I think if the kid is groomed properly he could be a force for good...and then he will be making an honest living.

On a similar note, ever heard of the book Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts? (which they're making into a movie?)

It's based on his life story of Escaping from prison in Australia, moving to India and became a medic in a Bombay slum (with help from the Indian mafia) He was captured at some point, and spent 10-15 years in jail only to come out with a book on his life. He has also used his forces for good.

dl021

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 pm

ingo. But I'm hoping the U.S. government does, too. This kid would make a great special ops/intelligence agent.

I was thinking along those same lines. Perhaps there's some ways he can compensate his victims and move on to be productive with his life. It does sound like a movie in the making. He'll have to build some character and moral judgment first.

[Edited 2010-07-13 06:46:43]

dl021

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 16):

You've been watching too many movies...

Not really...the kid has displayed resourcefulness, determination, stamina and a certain insouciance that has enabled him to get away with this crap for a while now. Imagine the damage this person could do with training and good judgment (although good judgement would probably preclude actually doing alot of the more daring stuff)

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 20):
They were showing this woman's home earlier - and she seems to be a bit of a nutcase. She has retained an attorney to advance her "entertainment interests" yet she put a sign in front of her property for the news media that reads "anyone who goes past this point will be shot". Certainly not who I'd like to have for a mother!

She seems to be a major source of the problem.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 26):
Now if only he didn't corner himself in the Bahamas, who knows how long it would be till he was caught.

He did fly himself to an ISLAND!!! Maybe he could have thought out an escape plan better than he did. But he was looking for boats. If he'd been able to secure a decent boat he could be flitting between islands right now buying gas and food at marinas and enjoying a Caribbean holiday.

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 27):
This kid has Special Forces written all over him!

If he turns himself around there could be uses for him.

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 29):
Anyone know what his A.net user name is?

HAH! I was thinking the same thing!  

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 30):

No, he wouldn't. His ego is way too big.

This kid has resorted to crime and has shown he only puts himself first and doesn't give a damn about anyone else. This kid is NOT someone I would want beside me in a combat zone or serving under/above me.

Quoting Mir (Reply 32):

I think that sums up this thread pretty well.

canoecarrier

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:17 pm

I still can't believe some of you still like this guy. I live in the Seattle area and have heard about this kid since his life of crime became public locally in 2008. If he had stayed on Camano Island stealing the occasional candy bar from a grocery store I might chalk it up to bad parenting and give the guy another chance.

Wake up call: He is suspected in the theft of at least five small aircraft, several boats and cars, and in the burglaries of at least 100 homes in various locations around the Pacific Northwest. One of the planes he stole was a 182 owned by a local radio personality in the Seattle area which he crashed. It was a total loss. If you think he was only "robbing from the rich" at the very least insurance companies have been paying for his escapades for years and that is directly reflected in the cost of insurance premiums.

I know it's tempting for some to dismiss Colton's crimes as "just property crimes", but ask anyone who's been the victim of a break-in or had property damaged or vandalized to tell you it's "no big deal". The reality is that Moore's crimes, while fun and games for him, hurt a lot of hardworking people who were probably put in a serious bind trying to pay for the damage he caused. Any hardworking person who thinks this guy deserves admiration is an idiot.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

F9Animal

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Alright, does anyone know what kind of aircraft he stole to get to the Bahamas? Must have had an impressive range!
I Am A Different Animal!!

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 38):
Alright, does anyone know what kind of aircraft he stole to get to the Bahamas? Must have had an impressive range!

Not if he stole it in Florida. The islands of the Bahamas are a very short hop from Southern Florida.

ER757

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:52 pm

He's not assaulted anyone or harmed anyone in any way.

Doc, I usually see pretty much eye to eye with things you post, but we're going to have to part ways on this one.
If you've ever been a victim of a burglary you'd know about being hurt by that. There are other forms of harm than physical. To all those idiots who paint this punk as a folk hero on Facebook, they need to get a grip on reality. He stole from people who came by their posessions and cash honestly. And don't give me that "well, they have insurance" line either because anyone who's ever had to deal with a claim on stolen property know you never come out ahead.
He's a CRIMINAL, plain and simple and should not be romantized

4holer

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:37 pm

I think it is ironic that the mother takes boundaries and law so seriously when it comes to her own property (threatening sign), but when it comes to the victims of her son, these concepts elude her.
In short, we can see the source of this kid's sociopathic behavior.

He's not to be admired, he's to be made an example of.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

dl021

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 36):

This kid has resorted to crime and has shown he only puts himself first and doesn't give a damn about anyone else. This kid is NOT someone I would want beside me in a combat zone or serving under/above me.

Ego and Id both play a part in the drive necessary to be a soldier. If the kid ever learns ethics and consequence and refines his displayed skillset he'd probably be a decent soldier.

I know plenty of good soldiers with checkered pasts. Soldiers aren't any less susceptible to poor judgement in the civilian world prior to their enlistment than anyone else. Some don't do stupid stuff, some don't get caught. It doesn't make it right, and for them to succeed they have to learn to place other people over themselves.

ShyFlyer

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 38):
Alright, does anyone know what kind of aircraft he stole to get to the Bahamas?

I've only seen the type mentioned once as a Cessna 400 Corvalis (nee Columbia 400).

Quoting DL021 (Reply 42):
If the kid ever learns ethics and consequence and refines his displayed skillset he'd probably be a decent soldier.

In theory, yes, it is possible that he can become a productive member of society. I'm very skeptical that he will be able to, largely due to the time I've spent working in Corrections. As I see it, the odds are not in his favor.

zanl188

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 35):
Not really...the kid has displayed resourcefulness, determination, stamina and a certain insouciance that has enabled him to get away with this crap for a while now. Imagine the damage this person could do with training and good judgment (although good judgement would probably preclude actually doing alot of the more daring stuff)

Not really.... I suspect nobody made a concerted effort to stop this guy. The lack of good judgement you mention is what makes him a poor choice for spec ops.

MD-90

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Quoting Ltbewr (Reply 31):
There has probably been $500,000 or more paid in insurance claims due to this clown's actions.

The 2009 Cessna Corvalis TT that he stole and destroyed alone was worth more than that. Cessna.com's minimum price for a new Corvalis TT is $644,500.

FX772LRF

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 45):
The 2009 Cessna Corvalis TT that he stole and destroyed alone was worth more than that. Cessna.com's minimum price for a new Corvalis TT is $644,500.

He stole the Corvalis from BMG, correct?

If so, I've probably seen the plane. Sort of a weird feeling, actually.

-Noah.   

TheCol

Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 am

Except he didn't, which automatically negates that argument.

I doubt the FAA would agree with you.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

JBirdAV8r

Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:46 am

Flying, I think, is easier than driving... which explains why you can fly solo before you can drive a car solo.

Eh? You can do either at approximately the same time.

Maybe I just have life backwards. Maybe engineering is easier than handling baggage.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

RottenRay

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:14 am

Not to pick fault, but a scoff-law nonetheless. If he had any respect for aviation, he would have done what other respected pilots have done time and time again. Study, get a license, maybe suffer a bit and eat cheap food.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 42):

I know plenty of good soldiers with checkered pasts. Soldiers aren't any less susceptible to poor judgement in the civilian world prior to their enlistment than anyone else.

Soldiers are allowed to have checkered pasts, at least everywhere but in the US.

Pilots are not, and stealing a plane is never a good idea. Best to steal a car or a ship - crashing those usually have less consequences for people nearby.

(Of course, that's my opine, and I will not be drawn into citing stats or sources.)

I'll be honest - I don't see the fascination with this kid. He's a thief, plain and simple. It may be cute when some kid steals his dad's Lexus and gets caught, but this little boy has caused insurance premiums to go up.

For no other reason than to "prove" his media-called "skills."

This would be a back-page story save for the cost of the items he has stolen.

Yes, I can appreciate the sense of adventure, of being young. But a thief is a thief nonetheless, and this boy didn't really have an opinion-altering mission. He did it simply because he could.

Woe on the society which thinks this sort of proving one's self is acceptable.

RR