stasisLAX
Topic Author

Former VP Cheney Has Heart Pump Implanted

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:01 am

Former U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney published a press release today regarding his ongoing medical condition:

“As many of you know, I have dealt with coronary artery disease for decades, suffering my first heart attack in 1978 at age 37,” Cheney said in a statement. “Over the years, excellent care from my doctors and advances in medicine and technology have allowed me to live a full and active life, for which I am very grateful. A few weeks ago, it became clear that I was entering a new phase of the disease when I began to experience increasing congestive heart failure. After a series of recent tests and discussions with my doctors, I decided to take advantage of one of the new technologies available and have a Left Ventricular Assist Device implanted. The LVAD is a small implantable pump that improves heart function and will enable me to resume an active life.”

According to cardiologists, Cheney will carry the LVAD pump with him for the rest of his life and will literally plug himself (the pump) into a wall socket every night to charge the LVAD. On another note, he will no longer have a discernible "pulse" due to this implant.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/39747.html

I wish the former Vice-President all the best.

Although, I do have the add the comment my best friend (a rabid Democrat) just remarked to me: "Who knew Cheney actually had a heart?".
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

DocLightning

RE: Former VP Cheney Has Heart Pump Implanted

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:18 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Thread starter):

I wish the former Vice-President all the best.

It's amazing that we can do this. It really is. We couldn't do this as recently as five years ago. An LVAD was a briefcase-sized object that was a temporizing measure until a donor heart could be found for transplant.

I do wonder, what the former VP's views are on the question as to whether all Americans should have access to such healthcare as he is (probably not really) enjoying right now.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aaron747

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:16 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
It's amazing that we can do this. It really is. We couldn't do this as recently as five years . An LVAD was a briefcase-sized object that was a temporizing measure until a donor heart could be found for transplant.

Who knows...by the time we're in our senior years and subject to CHF, the doctors just might be able to grow replacement heart tissue and structures right out of our own DNA.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Mir

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 am

According to cardiologists, Cheney will carry the LVAD pump with him for the rest of his life and will literally plug himself (the pump) into a wall socket every night to charge the LVAD. On another note, he will no longer have a discernible "pulse" due to this implant.

"He is more machine than man...."

Seriously, though, it is amazing what modern medicine can do, and I hope it goes well for him.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DocLightning

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):

Who knows...by the time we're in our senior years and subject to CHF, the doctors just might be able to grow replacement heart tissue and structures right out of our own DNA.

Not if we can't do stem cell research. Can't grow organs without stem cells.

Did you know that even if you transplant a kidney from one identical twin to another, the recipient will still require immunosuppressive meds?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

kaitak

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:36 pm

They found a heart?

Yes, modern medicine truly is miraculous!

EA772LR

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):

As you know I'm staunchly Conservative (not Republican) and it drives me nuts that we don't pursue Stem Cell research. The ethical questions can go on and on, but the fact is, if we can reproduce our own organs (not full clones of ourselves) then why the hell not. The body would not reject our own liver.   

Although, I do have the add the comment my best friend (a rabid Democrat) just remarked to me: "Who knew Cheney actually had a heart?".

I'm no Liberal or Democrat, but that's funny!
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

DocLightning

Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:10 am

Well, obviously I don't know any details about the case, but the device that they implanted was probably this one or something similar:

http://www.thoratec.com/medical-prof...information/heartmate-ll-lvad.aspx

An artificial heart. Pretty cool!
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Ken777

Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:54 am

I can remember in the early 60s I was in Houston when DeBakey put the first patient on a pump. There was actually a TV show that evening (about 7 PM) showing the surgery. I think the objective at that time was to allow the patient's heart to "rest" for a few weeks then go back to his own resources.

Not that long after than Christian Bernard (sp?) in South Africa performed the first actual heart transplant and I can remember seeing the patient holding his heart up in a jar. Unfortunately the knowledge on avoiding rejection was far behind the good doctor's skills.

The question now is how much of the advances in technology that Cheney benefitted from today came from taxpayer dollars funding research? Socialized medicine at its best - and a solid result that even Cheney's significant wealth couldn't pay for without taxpayer's help.

DfwRevolution

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:31 am

It's amazing that we can do this. It really is. We couldn't do this as recently as five years ago. An LVAD was a briefcase-sized object that was a temporizing measure until a donor heart could be found for transplant.

Even with these new implants, isn't the survival time usually measured in a few months?

Well, no, you didn't. But you did anyway. When Cheney does pass - which could be soon for all we know - it will be marked with far more grave dancing than is becoming of a statesman.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):

Whose stopping you? It's a common talking point that the Bush administration killed stem cell research, but they did nothing of the sort.

ER757

Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:39 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
He is more machine than man...."

That's so ironic that you posted that along with Obi Wan's photo - my very first thought when I saw the subject line was "he's more like Darth Vader every day."

mdsh00

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 9):
Even with these new implants, isn't the survival time usually measured in a few months?

It's more than a few months now as the devices are more sophisticated now. LVADs still aren't extending survival for many years. As DocLightning stated they are really meant as temporary measures until a heart transplant can be performed. However with Cheney's age and co-morbidities, transplant really isn't an option.

So...his time is quite limited.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

oldeuropean

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:38 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 10):
That's so ironic that you posted that along with Obi Wan's photo - my very first thought when I saw the subject line was "he's more like Darth Vader every day."

Exactly also my thoughts.  

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

DocLightning

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:05 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 9):

I don't know. It seems to be a device designed to last 3-5 years...
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Mudboy

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 am

t's amazing that we can do this. It really is. We couldn't do this as recently as five years ago. An LVAD was a briefcase-sized object that was a temporizing measure until a donor heart could be found for transplant.

My jaw dropped as I read this, I used to fly Pt's with LVADs on the Helo, that as you stated, were waiting on a heart transplant, and they were big and a pain in the ass.