Springbok747
Topic Author

Need Help With Marta (Atlanta)

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Hey ATL a-nutters (or anyone else who knows MARTA!) I need some help. I will be in ATL in August (7 - 15) and need to get to Georgia State University from Suwanee. I figured the best way would be to drive to Doraville station and take the train to five points, then switch over the line to Georgia State (Blue line). Is this the best way? Or would driving be better? Its on a Monday morning, I have to be there at 10am..so wondering which is better..driving or MARTA? And is there a better route to get to the University from Suwanee, GA?

Thanks in advance!  
אני תומך בישראל

srbmod

RE: Need Help With Marta (Atlanta)

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Thread starter):
I figured the best way would be to drive to Doraville station and take the train to five points, then switch over the line to Georgia State (Blue line). Is this the best way?

That's the best way if you wish to take MARTA. Gwinnett County Transit operates an express bus service from the park and ride lot at Discover Mills to Downtown Atlanta.

http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal...ttCountyTransit/RoutesandSchedules

I-85 southbound towards Atlanta is fairly heavy up until 10 am (or even later) until you get past the junction with I-285. Your best bet may to drive to the park and ride for Gwinnett Transit at Discover Mills or at I-985 and GA-20 and take the express bus to Downtown or the local route to the Doraville MARTA station.

N867DA

Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:38 pm

Check to see where your destination is located on a MARTA map--in many cases Five Points may be closer than the Georgia State transit station. Also, since Georgia State is just one stop away from Five Points and trains don't exactly run every minute you may make better time walking to your building. Just check on the screens for the next train and if it's more than 5 minutes away, you're better off walking. Each trip is $2.00, but you will have to pay for a Breeze Ticket. Your total trip will set you back $4.75 (day parking is free at Doraville).

As srbmod said, there are also buses that run from the northern suburbs to the city. If you're starting in Suwanee, the bus stop at the junction of Medlock Bridge Rd. and GA 120 may be closer to your origin.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Springbok747
Topic Author

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Cool, thanks a lot for that guys! I'll have a look at the express bus service, didn't know about that (thanks srbmod!).
אני תומך בישראל