aa61hvy
Topic Author

Are Travel Agents Worth It?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:15 am

Hi guys,

I am in infancy stages of planning a destination wedding and or honeymoon.

I wanted to see if it's worth my time and money to get one involved.

I've planned multiple extensive trips before. I am somewhat of a control freak with everything too. But I didn't know if there is some "magic" they can work that I wouldn't be able to do using the travel sites.

I wouldn't expect the TA to help with the wedding as there is a coordinator/planner.

I guess my fear is that we would be put on a multi stop flight when it's not needed and that the hotel we get put up would suck.

Thoughts?
Go big or go home

fridgmus

RE: Are Travel Agents Worth It?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 am

While in Iraq working for another company, we got leave every four months. I used a travel agent to purchase my own tickets and was then reimbursed by my company. She was absolutely FANTASTIC! She would constantly search for ideal flight times, fares and my preferred airline, EK. And it only cost me $40.00 each time.

Now, I work for another company and they won't let us do that. While they pay for my tickets, it's hard to get them to get me flights on EK, and the flight times I prefer.

So yes, I still think they are quite useful!

Just my   
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

aerorobnz

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 am

To be honest if you're halfway decent at organizing previous trips I wouldn't bother unless it involves a particular wholesale deal only available through a franchise. I really like booking my own airfares. That way i know what's what and can organize trips based on essentials like airlines/aircraft i haven't flown before....

Things can and do go wrong with travel arrangements, but at least if you do it yourself you've got no one to blame except yourself so it's easier to get over when you do make a bad choice.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

petertenthije

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:31 am

I've used a travel agent only once. The hotel room ended being up a hostel shared with 11 others.

I'll never again use a travel agent. And I avoid anything remotely related to TUI due to above cock-up.
Attamottamotta!

Elite

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:37 am

For simple journeys I do not use a travel agent, but when it is in a place where I have no knowledge of or when it involves a couple of flights, I get a travel agent just for a peace of mind. This travel agent has been working with my parents and siblings for quite a while, so I am sure that I won't be scammed or whatnot. Personally, it just makes me feel better that there is a professional doing it and someone you can call in case of a delay, flight cancellation or other emergency.

Doona

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:54 am

I usually book everything myself, but at times I've used travel agents. When I went to Japan, for instance. I was traveling with four others, and I booked our tickets through an agent specializing in Sweden to Japan travel.

The rest of our group, about 20 others, found tickets online, which, as they were unrestricted Y, cost quite a bit more than the average 1000-1200 USD for online restricted Y fares. They paid around 1600 USD (in 2005 currency rates) for SK and OS flying CPH-VIE-NRT and back. Me and my four mates paid 1200 USD for unrestricted ticktes on SK and KE, flying CPH-LHR-ICN-NGO-ICN-FRA-CPH, which was much closer to where we were headed in Japan anyway. Also, we could change the departure point on the return trip for about 20 USD, and changing the dates was free of charge.

So that was a pretty good deal, and the KE744 to ICN, as well as the KE773 to NGO was a helluva lot more fun than an OS A340 to NRT.

Mostly though, I find that travel agents usually are more expensive, at least when I'm looking to travel. But on the other hand they have more access and more experience in finding cheap fares than the average traveller.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.