2707200X
Topic Author

The Worst Job You Ever Had

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:47 am

The worst job I ever had was being a flyer distributer meaning I stuck paper flyers for a cash flow symposium under the wind shield wiper of cars art a parking lot.

I found out about the job at school employment office, the title said "flyer for hire" and that it was fun it paid $10 per hour so I took the offer.

For the three days of work I did I had to distribute 3,000 flyers in as many days from three to eight to shopping center parking lots from far away, in the process I had to deal with people littering the flyer on the ground, police and mall security telling me to return the flyers and coming across irate people sitting in their cares cursing at me as I passed the flyers around.

In the end I could only distribute about half of the 3,000 and a week later after I was hired I was fired, about a year later when I returned near the office to take a look I found paper on the door saying "NOTICE OF EVICTION" by the police department and the place was vacant with trash and furniture lying around.

I guess the lesson taken is watch out for job offers that seem to good to be true or an offer that has little description or applications that only ask for your name, address and phone number. Fortunately I never had to deal with this kind of situation again.

What was your worst job?
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

wingscrubber

RE: The Worst Job You Ever Had

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:03 am

I tried a door-to-door 'window treatment' sales job once when I was a student, I quit after 1 hour because everybody got so pissed off when they answered the door.

Next worst was my first job, a paper round delivering a commercial paper to businesses in town - once I figured out nobody wanted the papers I just started recycling them instead of delivering them.

Final worst job was working at a dry-ski slope even though I couldn't ski.
Resident TechOps Troll

vikkyvik

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:03 am

Working as a (behind-the-scenes) clerk at the local Post Office.

As Newman so eloquently put it, when asked why Postal Service workers go crazy, "Because the mail never stops."

It's the kind of job where you assume that everyone who works there must be utterly crazy, or be generally miserable. And, frankly, that's not too far off the mark.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

bookishaviator

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:29 am

I used to be a support worker for intellectually and physically disabled adults which, overall, was actually quite a rewarding job, but some of the shall we say 'unsavoury' aspects of the job (cleaning faeces off clients, being urinated on when attempting to support a client to shower, being attacked by the more aggressive clients) really made you question what the hell you were doing for a living.

Credit to the amazing men and women who do such jobs on a long-term basis for an absolute pittance of a wage.
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

ual747den

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:47 am

I worked in a pet store for a day, the dogs were cute and fluffy but they shit in their cages and they expected me to clean it!

My reaction, "Oh hell no!"

Gave them back their shirt and walked out. Seriously these people expected me to clean shit!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

DocLightning

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:08 am

My fellowship after I finished residency.

*incompetent attendings who ordered me to do things that I knew would harm my patients. And then I would get reprimanded for refusing to do it.
*changing my schedule to a far worse schedule after I'd signed on.
*cutting my already paltry pay by 10% for "budgetary constraints."
*denying a vacation request I'd placed FIVE MONTHS previously once I'd already bought the tickets.
*questioning my professionalism because twice in four months I had problems with San Francisco's bus system (imagine that!) and was ten minutes late to work
*insisting, as a matter of policy, that I was not allowed to sign my own prescriptions.
*giving me zero autonomy in making medical decisions, in spite of the fact that I was (and still am) a Board-Certified pediatrician licensed to practice medicine in two states.
*general poor treatment of patients
*testily telling me to read the departmental manual (which was 400+ pages) whenever I asked for a clarification of departmental policy.
*flagrantly ignoring that very same manual when it suited their purposes.
*a policy that clinic time was "to raise revenue for the department, not to train fellows" (well then why are you running a fellowship training program, jackasses?)
*absolutely absurd hours. I'd get there at 7:30 and sometimes not leave until 11 PM. When I complained once that this was a violation of ACGME residency work hour rules, I was told that I had to manage my time better.
*constant reprimands for things that were obviously out of my control
*forcing me to do a research project in which I had no interest and for which I was unqualified

There were two and only two good things about that job: 1) my patients and 2) the view from our office, which was on a mountain in San Francisco from which you could see all the way to the Pacific and all the way to Berkely. Good thing, because while I worked there I almost never left that office.

It wasn't shoveling shit. or mail, or door-to-door stuff. But the stress of that job was awful. I endured seven months out of a planned three years before I handed in my resignation.

I love my current job. And I treat my students with dignity and respect.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

FX772LRF

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:18 am

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 4):
I worked in a pet store for a day, the dogs were cute and fluffy but they shit in their cages and they expected me to clean it!

Gave them back their shirt and walked out. Seriously these people expected me to clean shit!

So you willingly applied for a job in a pet store, and didn't expect to encounter cleaning up feces or urine from animals?

Wow.

-Noah.   
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

ual747den

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 am

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 6):
So you willingly applied for a job in a pet store, and didn't expect to encounter cleaning up feces or urine from animals?

Hell no, I though they hired people for that kind of work! Little did I know, they did, it was me!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

AirPacific747

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:39 am

I was a paper boy back when I was 13 years old. I had to wake up at 4 am and first pick up the newspapers, then deliver them at the houses on my route. Very hard job and it destroyed my weekend every time. I was so tired for the rest of the day.

TheSonntag

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:20 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 8):
I was a paper boy back when I was 13 years old. I had to wake up at 4 am and first pick up the newspapers, then deliver them at the houses on my route. Very hard job and it destroyed my weekend every time. I was so tired for the rest of the day.

Ah I remember that as well, I did that in Denmark and in Germany. Denmark was better paid  

My worst job was to work at a company doing telephone surveys, ringing random people asking them stupid questions. It was not about selling, only about customer satisfaction. But still, and you only got paid when you finished the interview. Man it sucked.

ual747den

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:59 pm

I was a paperboy too at about that age! I didn't mind it so much, the weekday papers were delivered at about 5PM so they were waiting for me after I got home from school, I had to roll them and then put then on my bike and did my route!

Good times!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

AirPacific747

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 9):
Denmark was better paid

:D

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 10):
I was a paperboy too at about that age! I didn't mind it so much, the weekday papers were delivered at about 5PM so they were waiting for me after I got home from school, I had to roll them and then put then on my bike and did my route!

After I ended my 'career' as paperboy for a newspaper, I started delivering ads during the day and also had to pick them up, take them home, roll them, put them in my trailer for my bicycle and deliver them. That was probably the hardest job of the two. Still, it didn't beat having to get up at 4 am in the morning. The problem was, that I didn't understand that going to bed past midnight was a bad idea if I had to get up just 4 hours later  

[Edited 2010-08-02 10:19:25]

na

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:11 pm

Bad jobs dont necessarily mean bad paid.

My worst job? During my last job as an employee (in lower management and well paid) I had two bosses. One said, in a sense, go left, the other go right. They didnt talk to each other and always blamed me for going the wrong way (and they were sitting in different cities which made it even worse because I had to work in both offices). It literally made me sick. Now I earn half as much but I´m much happier being my own boss.

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 3):
I used to be a support worker for intellectually and physically disabled adults which, overall, was actually quite a rewarding job, but some of the shall we say 'unsavoury' aspects of the job (cleaning faeces off clients, being urinated on when attempting to support a client to shower, being attacked by the more aggressive clients) really made you question what the hell you were doing for a living.

Credit to the amazing men and women who do such jobs on a long-term basis for an absolute pittance of a wage.

I agree. Hats off for them.

Scorpio

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:28 pm

When I was in college, during the summer I worked at a distribution center for frozen foods. We had to pick and wrap the orders for all the stores in the vicinity, at -30° Celcius ( -22°F). We had to get out of the freezer every two hours. To make matters worse, during most of the month I worked there there was a heatwave, meaning that in a matter of less than five minutes I'd go from -30° to +30° (86°F), to then ride home on my bike for 20 minutes. Needless to say, after about a week, me an every other student working there all had a cold. The money was pretty good though: we got the same gross salary the regulars got, but since were students, hardly any taxes came off, so we were actually making quite a bit more than the regulars!

AGM100

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:43 pm

I operated a fuel tanker fill station on the night shift . I sat in a control booth and monitored the load sequences and was in charge of shutting down the system in the event of valve failure , fire or other problem. I had to sit in the office for 8 hours a night with ony 2 -15 min breaks . Breaks that were taken in the office and I was still responsible to hit the shut down in case of fire.

The office sat in the center of giant "fuel farm " I was surrounded by about 25 huge fuel tanks and millions of gallons of fuel. During the night on schedule the fuel tanker would arrive at the gate and enter a code ... I would then allow them to pass though .. I would then enter there load into the station which would automatically unlock the proper tanks. The tanker would enter the dock and the driver would attach the anti static lines and begin filling his tank. At that point I just had to sit and watch for about 20 minutes , he would end his load out and push a button and the valves would all close .. I would get a green light and open the gate.

I was so freaking bored out of my mind I nearly went insane.... on a busy night we would have maybe 5-6 trucks come though. So it was hours of doing nothing but reading . I began writing my biography at that that time ... now that's bored.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Cadet57

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Oh no! Anything but dog crap!

Good god. Try cleaning shit, urine, blood, grey matter from a .45cal earthly departure and then come talk to me.

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 7):
Hell no, I though they hired people for that kind of work! Little did I know, they did, it was me!

So you took a job in a pet store and thought someone else cleans the crap?   
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

sunshine79

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Standing outside a bar trying to entice people in. I lasted one night. I got paid €15, and the taxi home was €9, so it wasn't worth my while doing it, and it was the longest 3 hours of my life.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

desertjets

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:58 pm

After graduating from high school and before moving off to college I found a job at a local movie theater. It paid minimum wage and I could barely get 20 hours a week. Which in hindsight wasn't a bad thing as the job sucked.

They'd either have me working behind the concession counter or on lobby/theater clean up. and frankly doing clean up was the better task. When working the concession counter you had to upsell, "for just 50 cents more you can get a half a gallon of coke with a free refill -- isn't that a great value." On weekends it would get pretty busy and stressful trying to get customers their food. In the downtime even if you have cleaned and restocked if the managers caught you not doing anything they'd make you do something.

One weeknight I was closing and was with one of my more worthless female employees and a manager -- who proceeded to flirt most of the evening as I was stuck with most of the closing duties. It was almost 2 by the time I got home, when I should have been out by midnight.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

LH459

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:40 pm

I suppose I've been quite lucky in this arena--I've never had a job I truly hated. There were one or two I didn't look forward to, though. When I was in college, I worked in a gourmet shop in Cambridge, Mass. The owner was....a unique character, with an unpredictable temper. There was also a rodent problem because of a nasty greasy-spoon cafe next door--there were literally mousetraps right underneath the counter where I stood   ! However, my co-workers were brilliant, and that made it tolerable.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 5):
the view from our office, which was on a mountain in San Francisco from which you could see all the way to the Pacific and all the way to Berkely. Good thing, because while I worked there I almost never left that office.

From this description, I know exactly which medical establishment it was. I'm shocked that their working conditions are so terrible--I've only had good experiences there as a patient!
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

Type-Rated

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:47 pm

My first summer job as a teen was working at a Dunkin' Doughnuts. I hired on as "kitchen help" at minimum wage, which at the time was $3.75 per hour. I soon learned that I was to keep the kitchen clean. It was un airconditioned and there were literally bags of loose flour on every surface. Then there were the roaches everywhere! I thought after 3 days, there has to be something better than this out there for minimum wage. So I was very happy to quit. Heat, flour and roaches are not for me!

I then went to work at a mail order distribution center picking orders. That job was so damn boring the minutes seemed like hours. It was totally mindless. And there were people there who had done this job for years and years!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

corinthians

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Call center. ‘nuff said

PlymSpotter

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:06 pm

I worked on a farm from my early to mid teens to get pocket money. This was alright actually in the field - long lazy days tending to the fruit crop, but other aspects to the job was effectively slave labour fr £2.50 an hour as, being fairly strong, I ended up doing more and more of the crap work. I quit after cleaning out three large chicken runs and creosoting them inside and out (with the old stuff which is now banned) for pittance.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

aviationmaster

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Quoting Corinthians (Reply 20):
Call center. ‘nuff said

I worked at a call center for four months after graduating from high school before going off to do my mandatory military service. The only thing that made call center hell tolerable were the co-workers.

ual747den

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Quoting Corinthians (Reply 20):
Call center. ‘nuff said

I did a call center job! Hired 1 week after I turned 16 and loved it! There were so many hot young college freshmen working there it was a constant party! We were interrupted every once in a while by Allstate Emergency Road Service calls but when not on a call you were figuring out who you were going to sleep with that weekend!

Damn I miss that job!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Tugger

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:58 pm

KFC. Lasted three days.

Worked in the back preparing the chicken: Take frozen chicken out of freezer, thaw chicken, get bag of "Secret Recipe of 11 Herbs & Spices" which is mostly flour, throw chicken into flour, put chicken in fryer, fry chicken, remove and drain fried chicken, put fried chicken in serving rack. In the process you were guaranteed at least one burn a day, and came home stinking of fry grease and chicken. And with the day shift I could barely arrive in time for my classes and with not enough time to change. So I tried an evening shift, you did all of the normal day work till closing... and then was the fun part.... clean up: Drain the fryers, clean the racks and counters and fryers. Clean all the cooking items in a big sink with screaming hot water. Got greasy, stinky, and burned.

I lasted three days because I had borrowed $79 from my friend to buy school books and wanted it paid. I quit as I left after my shift the third night, told the manager (who loved how hard I worked and had just complimented me on that) I wouldn't be back the next day. He was very unhappy. And that is my only regret, that I didn't give him more notice. But unfortunately it just wasn't a good enough job vs the drawbacks of staying longer.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Doona

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Quoting 2707200X (Thread starter):
I had to distribute 3,000 flyers in as many days

Doesn't sound too hard, just one flyer/day.

I did that for the summer in 2007. I worked 7 days week, and ended up making plenty of money for the summer. Working roughly 2 hours/night (and they paid us for 3 hours), I made as much money as someone working 4 hours/day 5 days a week. Sundays also paid more, and picking up an extra route (if someone was sick) paid time and a half. I got home at around 5:30 in the morning, slept into the afternoon, and enjoyed my summer (and my dorm was rent-free during the summer, so I had even more money than usual). Sure, it did put a cramp on my drinking habits (only got a total of 4 nights out of about 75). Pushing the heavy cart around, running up and down stairwells for a couple of hours every night got me into better shape as well. All in all a great summer job.

The only thing that really sucked were the other delivery people. A pretty weird bunch. And I got a bit tired of hearing the standing joke, that Dagens Industri, a financial newspaper here in Sweden, is printed by gays since it's pink, harr-harr.

Worst job I had (granted, haven't really had a lot of jobs) was probably working for my cousin's pasta business. Hand-made and all that shit. Spent my days in the sweaty back of a restaurant chopping garlic and chili peppers, without gloves (all of which amounted to quite a few health code violations, I'm sure. No worries, that place thankfully tanked a few years ago, to the relief of the rest of the family). One quickly learned to scrub properly before going to the bathroom. Unlike one of the others who worked there, I avoided that particular horror, but instead managed to, while trying to wipe off sweat with a towel, shove my finger in my eye. Hurt like a m-f. Only had to do that for a couple of weeks, though.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

trident3

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 pm

......lobsters.......................Jayne Mansfield.................

I'll get my coat  
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Quoting LH459 (Reply 18):

From this description, I know exactly which medical establishment it was. I'm shocked that their working conditions are so terrible--I've only had good experiences there as a patient!

I've had a few horrible experiences there as a patient due to the same arrogance and incompetence that made me leave. The worst experience I had there was when my partner got sick and I, being a good boy, decided to take him there rather than treat him myself (even though I knew the diagnosis).

Guess what? They totally flubbed the diagnosis and mismanaged him to the point that I am still kicking myself that I didn't get the ED doc's name and file a complaint with the Medical Board of CA.

Guess who wound up treating him (after spending a whole night in the ER with my partner in horrible pain without any treatment)?

Guess who got the diagnosis right?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

steeler83

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:11 pm

The worst job I ever had would have to be when I worked at a South Side convenience store/gas station and dealt with the absolute lowest intelligence of the Greater Pittsburgh area...

Ugh, one customer would always hang out by the pizza maker and demand that I come down there to wait on him for his pizza slices. It didn't matter to him if there were 2 people or 20 people in line right at the front of the cash register near the front of the store. You just want to say something like, "hey dumbass, ever hear of waiting in line like the rest of the civilized/educated world?"

A close runner-up to that would have to be when I worked at Wendy's. I had the co-worker from hell at that job...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

LH459

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 27):
Guess what? They totally flubbed the diagnosis and mismanaged him to the point that I am still kicking myself that I didn't get the ED doc's name and file a complaint with the Medical Board of CA.

Wow! You know, I'd been thinking about going elsewhere when my new insurance kicks in. You've helped me make up my mind!
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

1stfl94

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Two jobs for me

1) selling dodgy health insurance over the phone, especially when you phoned up someone to find out they had recently died

2) working for a letting agents. I took the job because I was desperate and the boss offered to match my previous salary. Within a month it had gone down by £2000 a year. I never signed a contract so had no recourse against them. I was then trying to escape and in the meantime I had to deal with midnight texts from boss deciding to change my hours, an office that looked like a bomb site and a commission scheme that effectively meant I earned nothing for any lettings I made. I was actually relieved when I was sacked!

ajd1992

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Well, the animals can't clean their own shit so somebody has to....

My worst job was probably my paper round at 13. I lost 28lbs or so but in the winter was horrible. I couldn't ever feel my hands or feet and I had the flu for 6 months solid due to the horrible weather we had that year.

I recently applied (and got) a job in a call centre, but because of my hours at college, I can't do it. Shame, as it was 6.67 an hour, and at 18 that's great.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 31):

Well, the animals can't clean their own shit so somebody has to....

my friend's dog cleans up her own poop... she eats it! With gusto!   
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

KPHXFlyer

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:04 pm

During my junior / senior year of high school, I worked for a drug store. Within the first week I was there, an "urban outdoorsman" came into the store, went into the bathroom, and threw his feces all over the bathroom. It was on the walls and even some made it to the ceiling. Me being the FNG, I was asked by my manager to clean it up. The consolation prize was that I was able to go home early with pay that day.

Jalap

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:18 pm

My very first student job, aged 15 or so, was terrible. Cleaning dishes, the machine couldn't handle the load, madame manager was drunk most of the time. Hated it, lasted only a few weekends.

Later student jobs I found inspiring. Did a few factories. Really happy to have worked quite long in a prepared vacuum food factory, a job no students wanted to do because of nightly hours, working overtime on bad days, very hard and repetitive work, often messy when stuff went wrong. All my respect to the people who worked there for a living, their dedication and their friendly, helpfull attitude towards a university student like me who they knew would get much better jobs later in his life.

AirPacific747

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Other not so great jobs that comes to my mind:

Working as a cashier in a supermarket for 2 years.

Working as a supervisor on a gas station for 1 year. Actually this job was quite OK compared to many other jobs and the pay was decent - about 20 USD an hour (mind you we have high taxes in denmark, so that's why. And actually 20USD an hour is around minimum wage when you're 18 and above, but I was exactly 18, so it was still a lot of money for me)

Working in a call center for 6 months until I got fed up and quit.

[Edited 2010-08-02 15:10:38]

ShyFlyer

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:08 pm

I worked at Wal-Mart.

Yeah, nuff said.
I lift things up and put them down.

desertjets

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 36):
I worked at Wal-Mart.

Yeah, nuff said.

Yeah I don't think I've encountered a Walmart employee that didn't look miserable.... that is when you can find one.

[Edited 2010-08-02 15:10:18]
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

larshjort

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Removing the outer mold layer from aged cheese, the smell made me throw up and I left after 1 hour.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

oakbwifella

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Two jobs:

1. Worked as a car cleaning supervisor at a rental company's airport location. Hours were long, the pay sucked, and the rental managers were always complaining about keeping cars clean and full in their lot. Even if we cleaned 40-45 cars an hour (that was our cleaning rate, best out of all the companies at the airport), I still caught crap. Plus, 95% of my coworkers were Muslim, and during Ramadan I let them have time to break their fast and pray. I cursed out a manager who didn't understand that many of my coworkers hadn't eaten all day and needed 30 minutes to break their fast. I wasn't heartbroken when I was fired!

2. Was an enrollment manager at a for-profit career college (like the ones advertised when you watch Maury, Jerry Springer, etc.). The recruiters would promise potential students food, bus passes, lodging, free books, etc., then would send the students to me to do whatever to keep the student in school. Keep in mind these schools charge thousands of dollars in tuition, when a comparable community college charged $25 a credit and were more reputable. There were so many students who left after accumulating $15000 in debt and saw the local junior colleges were much better. I saw so much unethical stuff going on, I left as soon as I could find another job.
Clear for Takeoff RWY 29 contact NORCAL departure

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:18 pm

Summer camps...make sure you find a summer camp with a reputation. I worked two years at my high school summer camp. The first time I was in 10th grade and I needed the money for a trip to Europe the following month. We were told that our pay would be reduced in exchange for community service hours. That month I earned $300. It gets worse. After telling myself over and over that I would not work there again, I was convinced to work again. After all, working is better than laying in the house all day, especially when you parents come home and expect you to be the maid. This time more of my classmates made up the bulk of the staff. Fortunately I had already completed my 40 community service hours needed to graduate so I should get a higher pay, right? WRONG! Turns out that since many in the staff didn't have their hours, ALL of the juniors' salaries would be reduced. Meanwhile, the seniors got double pay since they are seniors. I asked for a raise, seeing as how I wouldn't be doing this for the hours. Denied. Nothing says summer fun like being the volleyball instructor in the summer sun. Not only that, but my break was the first hour of the day...who would think that? Wouldn't it make more sense to suspend the outdoor activities during noon-2:00pm? NO...so $300 was all I got that month too.

If we are talking about official jobs, I'd have to say Toys R Us. Let me tell you something people: NEVER EVER EVER work during the holidays in a retail shop. Taking crap out of people and managers alike is not worth the effort. The human resources director punished us if we didn't sell customer credit cards...we literally had to take the customers hostage until they agreed to the credit card. Not only that, I was trained as a cashier so I would expect to be a cashier during the time. Wrong again. I was sent to recollect the merchandise badly placed and then redistribute it and was then yelled at because I had to get things for the customers while doing what managers told me to do...one big nightmare really.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

WarRI1

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:56 am

One of mine was shoveling chicken poop out from under the roosts, thousands of chickens, plenty of poop. We had to hand shovel out into the open pens and then push it out with machine. It did not take long to hate chickens.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Fly2HMO

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:59 am

Probably my current job. I'm an aircraft purchaser turned into aircraft administrator/chief pilot of sorts (though I never get to fly), dealing with people that don't know two shits about aviation, and on the flip side I get to put up with a captain who truly believes is gods gift to aviation and makes sure you know about it. Even though he has demonstrated to me numerous times severe lack of knowledge on many areas, major indiscipline and complacency, and no crew resource management skills whatsoever. I'm scared shitless he'll kill my boss and his family soon enough. Oh and my boss tells me to "be nice to the captain cuz if we loose him we have no replacement" and he also told me how the captain said numerous times behind my back that "im useless to the company"   

[Edited 2010-08-02 22:03:56]

JBirdAV8r

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 42):
Oh and my boss tells me to "be nice to the captain cuz if we loose him we have no replacement"

If you're really the

chief pilot

then fire his ass!! Finding a King Air pilot looking for work is like looking for a nurse in a hospital. But obviously, first make sure you don't just dislike him because you're "jealous" and because you are truly afraid he'll kill himself and others.

As for my "worst job"--selling electronics in a big-box retail store. Bogged down by bureaucratic nonsense, borderline patronizing "team meetings," and incompetent supervisors/managers who had never set foot in a college classroom. I despised every day of it...but it earned me flying money. And taught me the improper way to be a boss.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Fly2HMO

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:41 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 43):

If you're really the

chief pilot

then fire his ass!!

Oh believe me I would. Thing is, I'm chief pilot behind closed doors, if you will. Captain doesn't really know that. Boss acknowledges me as such but is keeping my status as a low key "office boy" for now. It's very complicated.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 43):
But obviously, first make sure you don't just dislike him because you're "jealous" and because you are truly afraid he'll kill himself and others.

He has nothing about him that could possibly make me jealous. He's just an ass, even my boss acknowledges that too. But alas, the reason they hired him is because they couldn't find anybody else suitable, so we're pretty much stuck with him.