CPH-R
Topic Author

The Ghosts Of WW2 - Amazing Photo Art

Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:09 am

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/the-ghosts-of-world-war-iis

I saw this linked on another side, and my own reaction was pretty much  Wow!

In short, it's a Russian photographer who takes photos from World War 2 and carefully interegrate them into photos of the same locations as they look today. The effect is quite impressive, especially in the Reichstag/Bundestag photos.

ETA: Found the photographers personal website with more of the same, including some small descriptions: http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/

[Edited 2010-08-05 23:15:35]

Jetsgo

RE: The Ghosts Of WW2 - Amazing Photo Art

Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:21 am

Those are some fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing them with us.   
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

iliribdl

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:14 pm

Greats photos, thanks for showing us.  
delta.com

matt727

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:21 pm

WOW, amazing photos. Thanks for sharing  

AGM100

Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:08 pm

What a great Idea ! Thanks for sharing ... incredible how Berlin and other war torn cities have rebuilt.

Amazing .
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

TheSonntag

Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:38 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 4):

Indeed. In fact inside the Reichstag during the restauration some old drawings by russian soldiers were found and preserved.

Unfortunately most cities of Germany were not rebuild nicely, one reason was that after the war many cities weren't rebuild according to the old plans, but rather according to new urban concepts like "car friendly cities" (Autogerechte Stadt). Many times those old houses not being destroyed in the war were destroyed after the war. Thus cities like Cologne, Hanover and Mannheim are not really beautiful today, and only recently it is tried to replace some of the cheap architecture of the 1950s with something more interesting.

Berlin is special, because it was rebuilt Soviet - Style in the East, Western Style in the west, and in fact a lot of old buidlings survived until the 1990s in order to be restored then. This makes the city very interesting.

I think sometimes we should acknowledge the hard work many people in Europe did in the years after the war in order to bring the European countries back to normality. Without the ERP programme of the US, it would have been much harder.

AGM100

Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 5):
This makes the city very interesting.

I walked the city a bit on my first visit in 1993. Having grown up in some ways living in a vivid imaginary world of the great battles between the soviets and German armies; I was able to imagine the city in those times. My mother was a history study so being home schooled my reading regiment was allot of WWII history. I am not a scholar and am limited on my retaining power ..but as I walked about in Berlin I was able to imagine scenes like the photographer shows in these pictures.

Well done
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

HAWK21M

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:19 pm

Fantastic Link.
Thanks.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

TheSonntag

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 6):
ut as I walked about in Berlin I was able to imagine scenes like the photographer shows in these pictures.

True. There are few other cities where the wounds of WW2 are that visible as they are in Berlin.

aloges

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 5):
Thus cities like (...) Mannheim are not really beautiful today

Oi! I lived there for a couple of years and liked it a lot - all you need to do is look for the beautiful spots... which then illustrate how much was lost in the war.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

OA412
Crew

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Those are some amazing photos. Thanks for sharing.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

waterpolodan

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:57 pm

Brilliant work by that guy. It must have taken him forever for each of those photos to figure out exactly where it was taken in '44 or '45 and then get a photo that matches the angles of the original camera perfectly. He probably took dozens of photos from each location before he lined it up just right. Great work blending the images, some of them are particularly haunting like this image of bodies strewn across the ground where people now quietly go about their business-
http://pics.livejournal.com/sergey_larenkov/pic/0000eww5/s320x240

dxing

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:13 am

That is a neat link and it looks as if there are a fair amount of people that are trying to do the same thing on different levels. There was a program on NGC no so long ago about the San Francisco earthquake and they did something similar transposing from a shot of what the city looked like in a particular area right before the earthquake in 1906, then right after, to what it looks like today. Amazing how areas that were totally destroyed have been built on again.

Same with the pictures from Berlin. No longer do you have to imagine the destruction as it relates to today, this gentleman is making the leap for us.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Springbok747

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 am

Wow..amazing!

Thanks for sharing!
אני תומך בישראל