OA260

USA To Charge British Tourists To Travel To US

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:23 am

US to charge £9 for Esta compulsory travel entry form

The US government is to start charging UK travellers $14 (£9) to apply for permission to enter the country.

The compulsory Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (Esta) is free at present, but from 9 September visitors to the US will have to pay for it.

It lasts for two years; people who already have a valid form will not have to pay until their current one expires.

The scheme was introduced in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10899968

So for your family of four for the Florida vacation your holiday just went up £36 / $56 gotta love the special relationship  
Should a reciprocal fee be introduced for US citizens visiting the UK?

Elite

RE: USA To Charge British Tourists To Travel To US

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:56 am

I remember the hassle when ESTA first came out, and a lot of support for it claimed that "it took 2 minutes, and it's free". So much for the "visa waiver program", seems similar to an electronic visa if you ask me.

Zentraedi

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:00 am

Quoting oa260 (Thread starter):

Absolutely. All the Visa Waiver Countries need to do this.

BMI727

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:02 am

I don't see the point of it other than to dissuade Brits from coming here.

Quoting Elite (Reply 1):
So much for the "visa waiver program", seems similar to an electronic visa if you ask me.

Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

LAXintl

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:01 am

First this does not just apply to just British, but ALL 30-odd visa-waiver countries.

Secondly, this fee when introduced has enjoyed the broadest support across the political spectrum, airlines and travel community of anything I can remember in recent years, and is meant to self support international tourism efforts without taxing any US industries or US citizens directly.

In reality a lot of European nations already have such fees, but they are built into things like hotel rates, car rental fees and not openly seen.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Kiwirob

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:09 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 4):
In reality a lot of European nations already have such fees, but they are built into things like hotel rates, car rental fees and not openly seen.

I'd like to see you prove that! There are lots of fees when hiring a car in the US and you also pay tax on hotel rental, this new fee is a double hit, I for one hope that visa waiver countries start taxing US tourists as well, what is good for one is good for all.

What next, dropping visa waiver and re-introduce visa's for everyone visitng the US?

LAXintl

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:33 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 5):
I'd like to see you prove that!

Many countries have tourism, or promotional taxes. For instance I was recently doing some business with Austria and such national fee is built into lodging rates, which after a 30-day consecutive stay is waived.
Other countries I know has such tourism a fees of the top of my head are Turkey and Mexico. In Mexico's case one buys a "tourist card" for $20 odd dollars if your are visiting beyond the "border zone" for more then 72 hours. For air travelers, this fee is built into airline tickets, but if you are in a car for instance you purchase them either at inland immigration check points, or even banks. The money for the tourist card goes to fund tourism related development and infrastructure cost.

this new fee is a double hit

Not really as all those other fees might be various local charges, such as local cities, counties, agencies or airports charge. This fee is something else being implemented on the Federal government level to international visitors with a very specific end funding use
So basically look at it this way. Instead of maybe previously paying 10-odd fees for various air travel, hotels or car rental you now pay 11. Would you prefer the fee be buried in your airline ticket instead?

[Edited 2010-08-07 03:21:53]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Gemuser

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:06 am

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 2):
Absolutely. All the Visa Waiver Countries need to do this.

Well one, Australia, already does. How many other countries do?

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

fca767

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 am

US to charge £9 for Esta compulsory travel entry form

The US government is to start charging UK travellers $14 (£9) to apply for permission to enter the country.

SUGAR! I'm going on the 24th September, does that mean I have to pay, or can I apply now for the ESTA and not get charged for the travel date which is after the 9th?

I need to go to america one last time before it closes to visitors completly

Glom

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:19 am

I think Obama is playing a game to see how much contempt for the US he can stoke in the minds of Britons.

fca767

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:21 am

When they put that Esta thing in I just thought to myself, I don't want the hassle of applying for a visa online, I prefer even to fill in a card on the plane instead and already thought "Why are they making it harder" But I came around to the idea if it's a one off time that you need to apply for it and get to keep it for years (If that's true) But then adding fee's on makes me feel they want to shut the borders. I didn't like Mexico when I found out we had to pay to get out of the country. Why can't they just put the fee's up at the tourist locations on food and put it in the final price.  

aloges

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:32 am

Quoting fca767 (Reply 8):
I'm going on the 24th September, does that mean I have to pay, or can I apply now for the ESTA and not get charged for the travel date which is after the 9th?

You can apply for free now and your permission will be valid for two years.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?language=en

Oh, and if any of the information in your passport has changed since you applied and were granted a travel permission, you need to fill in another application. Which you can still do for free.  Wink

[Edited 2010-08-07 03:40:10]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Gemuser

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:51 am

Quoting Glom (Reply 9):

I think Obama is playing a game to see how much contempt for the US he can stoke in the minds of Britons
Quoting fca767 (Reply 10):
When they put that Esta thing in I just thought to myself, I don't want the hassle of applying for a visa online
Quoting fca767 (Reply 10):
already thought "Why are they making it harder" But I came around to the idea if it's a one off time that you need to apply for it and get to keep it for years (If that's true) But then adding fee's on makes me feel they want to shut the borders

Are you both for real?

I have just travelled thru the USA, the ESTA was the easiest thing in the world to use and took 2 seconds for approval to come back. Compare that to Russia (where I am writting this from), it took two weeks to get and longer than 2 seconds to activate it at the boarder (Vyborg) and then at each city St Petersberg & Moscow (fortunately the hotels do it for you, but it takes them longer then 2 seconds).

As for a $14 dollar fee? Compared to the Russians $110 its nothing and it's valid for two years and my Russian visa is for a single entry and is valid until 22/8/10. And you Pommies (and everyone else) have been paying more than that to come here for years, why get particularly mad at the USA?

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

David_itl

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:06 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 12):
And you Pommies (and everyone else) have been paying more than that to come here for years, why get particularly mad at the USA?

We are their "special friend" and wouldn't expect this friendship to lead to that!

AirPacific747

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:16 am

In some countries in east Asia, you have to pay when you leave the country. I think Thailand and China do this if I remember correctly, and probably more.

aloges

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:37 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 14):
In some countries in east Asia, you have to pay when you leave the country. I think Thailand and China do this if I remember correctly, and probably more.

Yes, the famous "airport tax" - popular in Latin America as well. I don't know what the land borders are like, though.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

baroque

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:44 am

I for one hope that visa waiver countries start taxing US tourists as well, what is good for one is good for all.

Of course they must, how else can any country encourage tourism?  Wow! You guys did not like our Bingle (where the bloody hell are you? and you liked Australia and Bazz even less it seems), so how do you like our fees?

Gemuser

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:44 am

Quoting david_itl (Reply 13):

We are their "special friend" and wouldn't expect this friendship to lead to that

And we are not? David, you wound me!  

Gemuser

baroque

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:57 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 17):

We are their "special friend" and wouldn't expect this friendship to lead to that

And we are not? David, you wound me!

Actually that friendship is very soon going to come down to how the Kookaburra swings for the England leather flingers rather than import fees. Actually going to the UK any fees are likely to be dwarfed by the fuel levy. So what is to worry about - says he shuffling his EU and Aus passports?

us330

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Secondly, this fee when introduced has enjoyed the broadest support across the political spectrum, airlines and travel community of anything I can remember in recent years, and is meant to self support international tourism efforts without taxing any US industries or US citizens directly

Of course it enjoyed broad support--because it doesn't affect americans directly. Its easy to support a tax or added fees when you are not the one that's going to be paying for it.

Would not be surprised to see the Brits do a tit-for-tat measure.

Completely stupid if you ask me.

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 pm

Sure! I have no problem with paying for it as long as the prices match the UK price ($14USD or £9) across the board. It is only fair.......
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ltbewr

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 pm

This Esta entry 'pass' is a way to make sure of the security of the USA, especially with the growing threat of terrorism on flights or in our country using citizens or legal residents of 'visa waiver' countries. As to the fee, it does cost some amount to process the paperwork and to verify identity of persons and taxpayers no longer want to foot those costs so our Politicans decide to add these fees forgetting the potential negative affects on tourism.

Further as to the UK, there may be other factors. The UK is the home of a number of potential terrorists who are citizens and there may be additional costs as unlike any other visa waiver countries. The UK does not have a National ID card and may not have a cheap or easily accessable database to veriry identiy, we may have to use paid services who's costs have to be covered. It is a lot better and far less costly to the USA and the airlines to make sure people are pre-cleared and their paperwork processed before they board a flight then have to land in Canada or turn back to the UK to remove the questionable person with those huge costs.

I expect that the UK will start to charge a fee or add on to their already obscenely high airport fees.

par13del

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Americans are used to paying fees, they do it all the time in the Caribbean, the bulk of the countries have Departure Taxes - Airport tax - including the cruise ships, the cruise industry usually builds the fees into the package. Now where you Europeans have had it good over the rest of the world is that you do not have to fork out in excess of $100.00+ US non-refundable to get a visa, with no guarantee that you will get it, or even if it will be for one month or 10 years.
If you get a visa for 10 years it becoms a one time fee, but if given for a couple months, you pay the price again if another trip is required after it expires.

Kiwirob

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:14 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 16):
where the bloody hell are you?

God she was yummy, I loved that ad.

baroque

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 23):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 16):
where the bloody hell are you?

As they say, no thread is any good without pictures!! Bit of a Bingle in the wedding stakes though!

MD11Engineer

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 15):
Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 14):

Yes, the famous "airport tax" - popular in Latin America as well. I don't know what the land borders are like, though.

In theb Philippines they have a "Travel Tax", which is charged at the airport, additionally to the airport tax (which is basically a fee for airport use and AFAIK will go to the airport).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

OA260

Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:01 pm

We are their "special friend" and wouldn't expect this friendship to lead to that!

Very true and this special relationship is one sided but more Brits everyday are starting to realise this fact. The same with the Irish they are seeing the light also.

fca767

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Quoting gemuser (Reply 12):
As for a $14 dollar fee? Compared to the Russians $110 its nothing and it's valid for two years and my Russian visa is for a single entry and is valid until 22/8/10. And you Pommies (and everyone else) have been paying more than that to come here for years, why get particularly mad at the USA?

I'm not a pommie  I can't believe it, someone in a Hostel in Collandra said that to me too...they were being a bit funny with me though I think.

But I went to OZ in 2007 and didn't pay a penny to enter...I did a working holiday visa.

Thanks for telling me it's for 2 years as I didn't know about esta, seems ok then, though I probably not go too often

fca767

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:03 pm

I remember this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn0lwGk4u9o

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 23):

LTU932

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 15):

I'm not sure, but I believe the exit tax (impuesto de salida), as it is called in Costa Rica, also does not apply for exiting the country via its landborders. On the aviation side of things, immigration only cares about you having paid the tax and returning the filled out exit form to the people at the check-in counter (much like the US), hence exit control only consists of just looking at the passport and that's it. The departure tax can also be paid in advance at the banks Banco de Costa Rica or Bancrédito, avoiding the long lines at the airport. That being said, from what I googled, there may be an exit tax for leaving the country landside again, but the only thing I found about that is about a year old, and I don't know if the new exit tax has been implemented.

MAH4546

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Americans are already paying to visit Europe with the absolutely ridiculous taxes that Europe - the UK and France especially - charge on airfare and hotels.

And people are complaining about $14? This is hysterical.
a.

Ken777

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:42 pm

No. The Pound's exchange rate to the Dollar is sufficient punishment.

From my few trips to NZ (which I totally enjoyed, by the way) I seem to remember that they let you in for free, but charge you to leave. Think it was about NZ$40.00.

LTU932

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 30):
Americans are already paying to visit Europe with the absolutely ridiculous taxes that Europe - the UK and France especially - charge on airfare and hotels.

And beware, Germany wants to introduce a new aviation tax themselves, and the airlines (including LH) are already expressing their outrage over that.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 30):
And people are complaining about $14? This is hysterical.

The thing is that, given the strict immigration rules in the US and the formalities involved even for citizens from VWP-Countries (because ESTA is just not enough, you still need to fill out the I-94W upon arrival), those 14 dollars are perceived by many (myself included) as a fine for entering the US LEGALLY. In the case of Australia for example, since pretty much everyone has to get a visa to get in (and although that is easily done electronically via the ETA or electronic visa process), the asociated fee for it is just seen as a regular fee for a visa, not a charge that is to be paid, just to enter and/or exit the country. If, then those charges should be put into the ticket price, although I still oppose such charges in any case.

ajd1992

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 31):

It's always been bad, it's not really like it's a new thing.

The way I see it is this:

You're paying (more than likely) in excess of £1500 all in to visit the US. 9 Quid is not going to break the bank, it's about the cost of a decent meal in the US. If you complain about a £9 tax then you should probably be holidaying closer to home. As it stands, I've just registered so I have another 2 years free entry to the US 

aa61hvy

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:45 am

I paid $50 usd to enter Indonesia... Big deal.
Go big or go home

Aeroflot777

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:55 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
I don't see the point of it other than to dissuade Brits from coming here.

Come on... are you serious? $14 is going to be a deal-breaker to travel across the pond? Give me a break!

dxing

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:01 am

As a non-rever when I leave the UK I get hit for as much as $176 USD in departure taxes depending on which class I fly.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Gemuser

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:15 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 32):
The thing is that, given the strict immigration rules in the US and the formalities involved even for citizens from VWP-Countries (because ESTA is just not enough, you still need to fill out the I-94W upon arrival)

Not true! From (1 July ?) certainly by 13 July 2010 when I arrived in LAX, VWP citizens don't fill in I94W, only Customs/Quarrintine form.

Caused some confusion at checkin for AF from BOS 10 days later, checkin chick was looking for I94W, didn't realise that Australia was a VWP country. When we explained that she had to start, at least some, of the check in process over again.

Gemuser

Lufthansa411

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Quoting gemuser (Reply 38):
Not true! From (1 July ?) certainly by 13 July 2010 when I arrived in LAX, VWP citizens don't fill in I94W, only Customs/Quarrintine form.

Caused some confusion at checkin for AF from BOS 10 days later, checkin chick was looking for I94W, didn't realise that Australia was a VWP country. When we explained that she had to start, at least some, of the check in process over again.

Yes that is correct. From what I have heard, they are phasing out those horrible I-94 slips over the current summer on a rolling basis. The problem (why am I not surprised to be saying that?) is that communication seems to be insufficient, and some airline and TSA agents at airports not yet i-94less do not seem to know what is going on and why some people do not have forms (and are getting pretty angry about it). It's even more complicated at the land crossings. Where most agents don't have a clue that this has even happened.
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

baroque

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 33):
Quoting Ken777 (Reply 31):

It's always been bad, it's not really like it's a new thing.

Just as well we have not gone back to the "good old days" then! I remember well the day that it dropped from US$4.00 to the GBP to a truly dreadful 2.80.

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/dollhist-graph.htm

Just for the record as the value of the special relationship is up for discussion, here is some of the text that goes with the graph:

During the war America had helped Britain by providing a wide variety of war-related goods with the intention of recovering the cost once the war was over. Through this "lease-lend" arrangement, the Americans held Britain in a tight grip. For instance, Britain was not permitted to export any of the goods that America had provided under the lease-lend arrangement, nor anything that resembled these goods even if they were British-made.

As a part of the agreement there was to have been a transition period at the end of the war during which full repayment could be made. However, America changed its mind, terminated the agreement and demanded its money there and then, something that Britain's economy simply could not sustain. Instead, America agreed to sell Britain the goods in what was in effect a loan spread over 50 years (which, having deferred a number of payments, Britain eventually paid of on 31st December, 2006)

But this deal came with strings, one of which was that the "unconvertible" pound, fixed under Bretton Woods, had to be made fully convertible within two years. Reluctantly Britain complied and, on 15th August 1947, exchange rate controls were removed.

This compliance with America's terms created a huge run on Sterling, and Britain's already stretched economy was collapsing before everyone's eyes. The British government had to act swiftly, and exchange rate controls were reinstated in a matter of days with the £/$ stabilised at just over $4, and Britain was back on the system it had adopted at Bretton Woods.

The graph on the left doesn't show this 1947 crisis, as it happened over such a short period.

Things didn't get much better and, after immense pressure on the pound (and after nine months of continual statements that it would not happen), on 18 September 1949 Stafford Cripps devalued the pound by over 30%, giving a rate of $2.80

fca767

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Please give me $2.00 to the pound  

baroque

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Quoting fca767 (Reply 41):
Please give me $2.00 to the pound

Indeed, but for a long time 5 bob was called a dollar in slang terms. Calling 7.14 shillings a dollar somehow never seemed to catch on!

PanHAM

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm

No, they don't. You have to compare apples with apples and peaches with peaches. There is no single EU country that charges a Visa fee to US travellers. It simply does not exist, although I think under view of the ESTA fee we should start to slap that on to US travellers as well.

There is VAT on all goods and services, same as a sales tax in the US. Most if not all US cities charge a local tax on hotel rates, which is not the case in Europe. Car rental companies charge airport fees, which they may or may not share with the airport operators which are, contrary to the US, mostly private companies and not under any state / city control.

The smartest way to save is by not buying anything at the so called "duty free" shops. Frapport for instancxe takes more than 50 % of its annual trunover from retail-. At least in Germany, all that stuff is usually 15-30% more expensive than High Street prices. Except may be cigarettes, but who still smokes these days?