OA260

Cardinal Attacks US Over Lockerbie Bomber Reaction

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:02 pm

The leader of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland has attacked the US over the release of the Lockerbie bomber.

Cardinal Keith O'Brien said the Scottish government was right to free Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi last year on compassionate grounds.

US lawmakers want Scots politicians to explain their decision to a committee, but the cardinal said ministers should not go "crawling like lapdogs".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-10905562

MingToo

RE: Cardinal Attacks US Over Lockerbie Bomber Reaction

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:08 pm

Quoting oa260 (Thread starter):
Cardinal Keith O'Brien said the Scottish government was right to free Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi last year on compassionate grounds.

I disagree that he should have been released on compassionate grounds.

However, I also believe he was innocent

OA260

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Quoting MingToo (Reply 1):
However, I also believe he was innocent

Me also , I think he was a sacrifice and many more people were involved and there's alot more we will never know. The thing that this has shown is that some in the US dont recognise the jurisdiction of the Scottish parliament which is more of a concern IMHO. The comments made by many Scottish leaders are quite justified IMHO. I wonder if the tables were turned would we see US leaders come to European tribunals   

kaitak

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Personally, I don't believe he was innocent; however, I agree with the cardinal's view that the Scottish ministers were correct in refusing the "invitation" from the US Senate. I don't know if this was "sub poena", but I think that no foreign government should be under a sub-poena to answer questions posed by another country's legislature.

baroque

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 3):
Personally, I don't believe he was innocent;

I agree with Ming and OA and note that the return was accompanied by an insistence that he drop the appeal. Now it hardly takes a genius to wonder if that was not because the appeal would have been as intensely embarrassing as Ming, OA and I suspect it would have been. Not to mention the opinion of Dr Jim Swire who I am sure has spent more time on the case than all the rest of us put together.

MingToo

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 4):
Not to mention the opinion of Dr Jim Swire who I am sure has spent more time on the case than all the rest of us put together.

Not just Jim Swire, but a host of others such as Robert Baer the ex-CIA Middle East man (and author of the book that the film 'Syriana' was based on), the QC who organised the trial in the Netherlands, the UN observer at the trial, a number of Scottish politicians.

But perhaps most tellingly, the Israelis. For instance David Horovitz the editor of the Jerusalem Post, the largest English Language newspaper in Israel

http://www.jpost.com/Home/Article.aspx?id=78097