futurepilot16
Topic Author

Limbaugh's Comments Toward Michelle Obama

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 am

Really gotta like this guy. What does Michelle Obama's vacation have to do with slavery and the redistribution of wealth? Limbaugh's got the answer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztS34TI-30
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

Airstud

RE: Limbaugh's Comments Toward Michelle Obama

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:36 am

The media - liberal or conservative - made too big a damned deal about one trip to Spain.

Rush Limbaugh is here making too big a deal out of the media's reaction, or non-reaction - however he sees it.

And here's Cenk Uygur making too big a deal out of the nonsensical crap that Limbaugh spat out in this one instance.

Spitting out nonsensical crap is all that Limbaugh ever does.

Trolling the net and other media for whatever nonsensical crap he can find from conservatism's fringe elements, then presenting it on Young Turks as though it's all that any conservative in the country has to say, is all that Cenk Uygur ever does.

Substance, please?
Pancakes are delicious.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:49 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 1):
Trolling the net and other media for whatever nonsensical crap he can find from conservatism's fringe elements, then presenting it on Young Turks as though it's all that any conservative in the country has to say, is all that Cenk Uygur ever does.

That's all these idiots know how to do - and they have absolutely no shame or sense of responsibility about it. Media talking heads are out to make a buck - and Limbaugh has by far been the most successful. All they need to do is stir the pot and throw shit to the wind and they just get richer - without any regard to the consequences for public discourse. They more than likely revel in the fact that they have had so much influence on what people are saying and thinking. Nothing would make me happier than to see popular movements on both sides of the political spectrum put these attention whores out of business.

Of course that's about as likely as seeing epaulets on a pig the next time I board an airliner...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

OA412
Crew

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:24 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
Nothing would make me happier than to see popular movements on both sides of the political spectrum put these attention whores out of business.

A-freaking-men!!! People need to give these guys (all of them, left or right) the boot. Political discourse in this Country is the worst it has been in recent memory, and these men and women share a great deal of the blame for that. People need to start thinking for themselves again, and stop listening to and parroting everything that this talking heads say.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

cpd

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:41 am

Mr Limbaugh reminds me of this guy:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-electi...down-the-front-20100810-11ufj.html

Both of them seem to pride themselves on ever more outrageous and outlandish comments.

I've had enough of the extreme fringe troublemakers like these. Bring on truth in media reporting laws - where it is a criminal offence to publish unsubstantiated, or untruthful claims.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:26 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 4):

I've had enough of the extreme fringe troublemakers like these. Bring on truth in media reporting laws - where it is a criminal offence to publish unsubstantiated, or untruthful claims.

We already have laws against libel and slander - but they don't go as far as your suggestion. That would never fly in the states - it's too much of a limitation on free speech. I for one would never support that. The proper way to rid the airwaves of these people is to shout them down until nobody wants to help them make their megabucks by giving them ratings anymore.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

dxing

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:01 am

Nothing would make me happier than to see popular movements on both sides of the political spectrum put these attention whores out of business.

Good luck with that. They've always been around. From the late 80's to now it's been Limbaugh. Prior to that it was cross fire on CNN. In the 70's it was mostly local bomb throwers like Gary Dee at WHK in Cleveland and Alan Berg out in Denver who paid for his comments with his life. Back into the 60's and 50's when radio stations were still syndicated you had the Drew Pearsons of the world. So they've been there in one form or another for decades. Since they garner ratings the advertisers aren't going anywhere any time soon. Witness Glen Beck. Wasn't too long ago everyone here was predicitng his downfall because one sponsor had left. That spot was almost instantaneously filled and there was probably a bidding war for the slot.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):
People need to start thinking for themselves again, and stop listening to and parroting everything that this talking heads say.

They've been listening and reading to those people for quite awhile. Like it or not they aren't going away anytime soon, especialy with the advent of the internet.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

KFLLCFII

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 am

Quote:
futurepilot16

Joke's on you.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

slider

Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):
Political discourse in this Country is the worst it has been in recent memory, and these men and women share a great deal of the blame for that.

So the observers of the behavior are to blame for the actions of a First Lady who is tone deaf?

With 10% unemployment, no signs of economic recovery, the total economy being taken over by the government, she goes across the pond to vacation like a queen? Largely funded by taxpayers?

Hey, I’m all for presidents to vacation. None of us can comprehend the stress they endure, no matter the party designation, but a family junket like this (with TWO more planned before school starts for their daughters) is just in terribly poor taste. It think it’s especially haughty to talk about supporting the Gulf Coast and then not bother to vacation there, or in the States. Once again, the brazenness of the ruling class on display for all to see. Even the Europeans are catching on.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 8):
None of us can comprehend the stress they endure, no matter the party designation, but a family junket like this (with TWO more planned before school starts for their daughters) is just in terribly poor taste. It think it’s especially haughty to talk about supporting the Gulf Coast and then not bother to vacation there, or in the States. Once again, the brazenness of the ruling class on display for all to see.

This complaining is totally out of place. I don't see you complaining about what Lloyd Blankfein did with his $60m bonuses after Goldman walked away with TARP money. Whether you like them or not, the Obamas have millions in royalties coming in that they made of their own accord. Not millions they made from siphoning off whatever lobbyists were around like the two morons in the House currently facing ethics charges. As we have seen since the days of the robber barons, those with millions in the bank live however they please and never answer to us for it...and why should they care, really? The only reason anyone's even talking about this is because she's the First Lady - but when you strip that away, she's no different than any other millionairess.

As I previously stated in another thread, I agree that if she's going to drop this kind of coin on a vacation, it shouldn't be overseas. But it is what it is...and it's her money and her poor judgment. Just like Blankfein and his endless jaunts to the Caribbean on post-crash bonuses. She couldn't turn away the USAF transportation even if they wanted to.

dxing

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 9):
Whether you like them or not, the Obamas have millions in royalties coming in that they made of their own accord.

Then for a purely personal trip like this let her foot the bill for the aircraft. If' they are worth millions and the trip is so important to her, 187K should be worth it.

She couldn't turn away the USAF transportation even if they wanted to.

Then let her travel on the AMC lift to Naval Station Rota. Or use a smaller plane and pay for it herself. I just can't countance public figures using public funds for purely personal needs.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

mt99

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:34 pm

[/quote]

Quoting dxing (Reply 10):
Then for a purely personal trip like this let her foot the bill for the aircraft.
Then let her travel on the AMC lift to Naval Station Rota. Or use a smaller plane and pay for it herself. I just can't countance public figures using public funds for purely personal need

How many times did Laura Bush did this?
Step into my office, baby

dxing

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 11):
How many times did Laura Bush did this?

Evidently not many if any at all since the press would have made a huge deal about her doing it. But feel free to do the research and return with some facts.

[Edited 2010-08-10 12:35:15]

mt99

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 12):
Evidently not many if any at all since the press would have made a huge deal about her doing it. But feel free to do the research and return with some facts.

So you were OK with Laura Bush using Presidential planes?

Quoting dxing (Reply 12):

Evidently not many if any at all since the press would have made a huge deal about her doing it

Why would they?

Aaron747

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:55 pm

If' they are worth millions and the trip is so important to her, 187K should be worth it.

When has any President or their family members paid the government for use of 89th AW services? There's absolutely no precedent for that.

UH60FtRucker

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Thread starter):

The guy has like what, a million listeners?

When you post this junk, all you're doing is giving him more attention. I guarantee you that 95% of the people on this forum would have never known what he said, had you not given him the pleasure of more airtime.

"Don't Feed The Trolls" goes for idiots like him, also. Ignore him and he'll eventually just go away.
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

OA412
Crew

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 8):
So the observers of the behavior are to blame for the actions of a First Lady who is tone deaf?

Yeah that's exactly what I said.  . The fact of the matter is that political discourse in this country is in the toilet. The "observers" as you call them are a huge part of the problem. They don't observe and report objectively, they misconstrue, tell half-truths, and fan the flames of anger, all in the interest of lining their own pockets.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

DocLightning

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Thread starter):
Really gotta like this guy.

Who? The man who said that drug abusers should be "sent up the river"? The man who repeatedly trashed the ACLU and then enjoyed their amicus brief in the same case where he was in court for drug abuse? Sorry, I have no respect for him or his opinions. Mr. Limbaugh is a buffoon and his views (and those who take them seriously) are not to be taken seriously.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

dxing

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:00 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 13):
So you were OK with Laura Bush using Presidential planes?

I didn't say that. I said show that she did. That part is up to you since you are making the accusation that she might have.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 13):
Why would they?

Probably because her last name is Bush.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 14):
When has any President or their family members paid the government for use of 89th AW services? There's absolutely no precedent for that.

You are the one that says she is worth millions. If that is true then she can afford to pay for her own transportation. I'll ask again, where do we start saving? If it isn't going to be with the big programs then where? I have a large problem with politicians using military transport for their own personal needs. You have yet to answer why an AMC lift wouldn't be good enough for her.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:23 am

Quoting dxing (Reply 18):
You are the one that says she is worth millions. If that is true then she can afford to pay for her own transportation. I'll ask again, where do we start saving? If it isn't going to be with the big programs then where? I have a large problem with politicians using military transport for their own personal needs. You have yet to answer why an AMC lift wouldn't be good enough for her.

The last few Presidents have been worth millions as well. Why didn't they pay??

I don't know the answer to your question other than the 89 AW has traditionally provided transportation for the President and First Lady regardless of the nature of their travel.

dxing

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 19):
The last few Presidents have been worth millions as well. Why didn't they pay??

That's a good question and one I've always asked. Same goes for the Speaker or any politician going on a "fact finding" junket. If it can't be fully justified they ought to be flying commercial. In this case if she wanted to go to Spain then the AMC lift was available. At least if she stays in the U.S. there can be some justification for it in that ordinary citizens get to meet the First Lady. But a trip outside the U.S., to meet up with friends? That's just not right. Part of our countries long history includes not treating the leaders as if they were royalty, this smacks of royal treatment.

AKviator

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:19 am

Rush Limbaugh is not to be taken seriously. Not even a little bit. Ever. He was born into wealth, and has done nothing his entire life except talk on the radio. He dropped out of Southeast Missouri State University after like a year after flunking just about everything. I punched his name to Wikipedia and found the following:

Limbaugh is critical of feminism, saying that "Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society."

Limbaugh has asserted that African-Americans, in contrast with other minority groups, are "left behind" socially because they have been systematically trained from a young age to hate America through a widespread movement headed by figures such as Jeremiah Wright, William Ayers, and Barack and Michelle Obama.

For a time, Dionne Warwick's song "I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again" preceded reports about people with AIDS. These later became "condom updates" preceded by Fifth Dimension's song, "Up, Up and Away (in My Beautiful Balloon).

"For two weeks in 1989, on his Sacramento radio show, Limbaugh performed "caller abortions" where he would end a call suddenly to the sounds of a vacuum cleaner and a scream. He would then deny that he had "hung up" on the caller, which he had promised not to do. Limbaugh claims that he used this gag to illustrate "the tragedy of abortion" as well as to highlight the question of whether abortion constitutes murder.

During the Clinton administration, while filming his television program, Limbaugh referred to media coverage of Socks, the Clintons' cat. He then stated, "But did you know there is also a White House dog?" and a picture of Chelsea Clinton was shown. When questioned about it, Limbaugh claimed that it was an accident and that without his permission some technician had put up the picture of Chelsea.

On October 3, 2003 the National Enquirer reported that Limbaugh was being investigated for illegally obtaining the prescription drugs oxycodone and hydrocodone. Other news outlets quickly confirmed the investigation. He admitted to listeners on his radio show on October 10 that he was addicted to prescription painkillers and stated that he would enter inpatient treatment for 30 days, immediately after the broadcast. Limbaugh stated his addiction to painkillers resulted from several years of severe back pain heightened by a botched surgery intended to correct those problems.

Before his addiction became known, Limbaugh had condemned illegal drug use on his television program, stating that "Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. ... And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up."

But then again- Wikipedia is probably just part of the liberal "drive-by media".

slider

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:04 pm

This complaining is totally out of place. I don't see you complaining about what Lloyd Blankfein did with his $60m bonuses after Goldman walked away with TARP money.

Dude, clearly you haven't been paying attention. I've been screaming about ALL government corruption, bailouts, slush funding, etc. You know, there ‘s a very sad and intellectually disingenuous tool used with great frequency on this board, especially of late.

It’s the retort to anything by saying “But you didn’t complain when ABC did XYZ” in a means of refuting or invalidating the original argument. And it’s total bullshit.

I am a constitutional conservative who rages against government fraud, waste and the omnipotent reach of Federal tentacles into every orifice of our lives (like that imagery? Haha). But if I were to enumerate each and every time that happens, I’d be living on this board and get nothing else done and STILL never scratch the surface of how big a problem it truly is.

But in this case, the utter hubris and taxpayer waste of Queen Michelle’s vacation is flabbergasting. I derided Jorge Bush for being a drunken sailor spendocrat, a man who refused to protect our borders, who grew government under the wholly specious construct of ‘compassionate conservatism’ and I took after him pretty hard and pretty damn frequently. But it’s the height of hypocrisy to see liberals who nuked Bush for going to Crawford with some frequency VS the vacationing and golfing Obamas heading to far-flung locations. The Queen may have paid for her room and dresses she bought, but not the 60+ rooms at a 5 star hotel, certainly not the massive delegation’s costs, nor the transportation and all that crap. And it speaks to the tone deaf out of touch attitude the Obamas really have to America. Visit the Gulf, don’t visit Vegas. We’re going to Spain.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 16):
The fact of the matter is that political discourse in this country is in the toilet. The "observers" as you call them are a huge part of the problem. They don't observe and report objectively, they misconstrue, tell half-truths, and fan the flames of anger, all in the interest of lining their own pockets.

If you want to talk about people lining their pockets, go to DC.They’re doing it whilst breaking the law, engaging in blackmail, bribery, payoffs right in front of our very noses, wallowing at the trough of taxpayer money, slushing around in lobbyist and campaign funds, twisting law to their advantage, and breaking the constitution on a near daily basis.

Limbaugh and any other ‘observer’ is simply exercising their free speech and not breaking any laws to do it. Don’t like him? Turn off your radio. You have a choice.

You do not, however, have as much voice, much less say, with the runaway rampant federal leviathan, corrupt and rotting, violating the will of the people, betraying their oaths.

mt99

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 22):
It’s the retort to anything by saying “But you didn’t complain when ABC did XYZ” in a means of refuting or invalidating the original argument. And it’s total bullshit.

I don't think it invalidates the argument at all. It just exposes hypocrisy, and exposes a different agenda than the original argument.

slider

Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 23):
I don't think it invalidates the argument at all. It just exposes hypocrisy, and exposes a different agenda than the original argument.

Not necessarily hypocrisy, just a lack of time sometimes!!  

mt99

Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 24):
Not necessarily hypocrisy, just a lack of time sometimes!!

Didn't have the time in 8 Years.. You sure are a busy boy  

Aaron747

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Dude, clearly you haven't been paying attention. I've been screaming about ALL government corruption, bailouts, slush funding, etc.

I started a couple threads on the Goldman CEO and how he thinks he's "doing God's work" by erasing billions of perfectly good dollars overnight and then singing its praises from a sun deck in the Hamptons...but they didn't seem to generate much interest IIRC. I could be wrong...

But it’s the height of hypocrisy to see liberals who nuked Bush for going to Crawford with some frequency VS the vacationing and golfing Obamas heading to far-flung locations.

That's all well and good, but I'm not a liberal, and I didn't rail against the trips to Crawford either. I happen to think the chief executive and their families can and should take a little downtime as conditions permit for their own sanity.

And it speaks to the tone deaf out of touch attitude the Obamas really have to America. Visit the Gulf, don’t visit Vegas. We’re going to Spain.

We are in agreement on this.

dxing

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 23):

First you have to have facts to back up your argument to even begin to validate it. We know the First Lady went to Spain on a purely personal tirp and it cost the taxpayers on the order of 100 to 120k in transportation fees. We don't know that Laura Bush made any similar trip. If you can find out that she did then I will condem it as well. But to just say that she did to try and defend Michelle Obama's trip is useless.

mt99

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 27):
We don't know that Laura Bush made any similar trip.

When she went down to Crawford, did she take a military cargo plane?

dxing

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:24 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 28):
When she went down to Crawford, did she take a military cargo plane?

Did she go by herself or was she accompanying her husband? If I recall she didn't travel all that much outside of official business. If they were traveling together, there is a budget for his travel, no matter where, no matter when. If she went by herself then that should have been paid for all the way. But all you doing is supposing at this point. As I said, find some facts and then we can discuss them. Throwing slop on the wall and hoping it sticks doesn't work.

[Edited 2010-08-11 22:25:21]

[Edited 2010-08-11 22:26:29]

Aaron747

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:26 am

Quoting dxing (Reply 29):

Did she go by herself or was she accompanying her husband? If I recall she didn't travel all that much outside of official business. If they were traveling together, there is a budget for his travel, no matter where, no matter when. If she went by herself then that should have been paid for all the way.

It still would have been irrelevant in that case too as the 89 AW states plainly that they provide transportation for the First Lady.

mt99

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Did she go by herself or was she accompanying her husband? If I recall she didn't travel all that much outside of official business.

So all you need is proof that she (or any her daughters) use the services of the 89 AW just one time to go to Crawford by themselves?

What will you do if I can find one occasion?

dxing

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 30):
It still would have been irrelevant in that case too as the 89 AW states plainly that they provide transportation for the First Lady.

Big deal. Just because they say that has no real meaning. The DOD could change their mission tomorrow and they would have not a single thing to say about it. We're stretching now.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 31):

Do you ever bother to read the posts? Or are you just here to start fights?

Quoting dxing (Reply 27):
If you can find out that she did then I will condem it as well.
If she went by herself then that should have been paid for all the way

mt99

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 32):

Quoting mt99 (Reply 31):

Do you ever bother to read the posts? Or are you just here to start fights?

All i'm saying is that i find it hard to believe that Laura Bush did not set foot inside a "government" transport (be it a plane, a car, a motorcycle, a bicycle) by herself for leisure purposes.

Aaron747

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 32):

Big deal. Just because they say that has no real meaning. The DOD could change their mission tomorrow and they would have not a single thing to say about it.

I don't see how really when their mission has been relatively unchanged in the last three decades.

PSA53

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 1):
The media - liberal or conservative - made too big a damned deal about one trip to Spain.

Rush Limbaugh is here making too big a deal out of the media's reaction, or non-reaction - however he sees it.

I heard his statements.Those comments were just uncalled for.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

mt99

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:01 am

Did she go by herself or was she accompanying her husband?
But all you doing is supposing at this point. As I said, find some facts and then we can discuss them.

Discuss away.. No mention of Military Cargo Flights per your suggestions...

http://www.correntewire.com/separate_vacations_north_and_south

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/upl...20Annual%20Report%2007_06FINsm.pdf

"First Lady Laura Bush and two childhood friends visited the park in late July, continuing the First Lady’s annual tradition of visiting national parks with some or all of a group of women who have known each other since grade school. The First Lady and her party were guests at Camp Denali for five days. The National Park Service and its partners hosted a luncheon for the First Lady and her friends at the end of her visit."

nyc2theworld

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 pm

So lets say Ms. Obama did fly a military flight, with a raise of hands, who here would be complaining that she and her staff, daughters and SS agents displaced needed supplies and armed forces personnel for her vacation? Who here would complain that she displaced badly needed military gear and men from a flight. (If you think any VIP would fly space available you're wrong.)

As for those who say we elected her husband and not her therefore she shouldn't get the same privildges as him, you're conviently forgetting the flip side of the coin, she also lives in the same bubble as him even though she wasn't elected BECAUSE she is one of his closet family members. With his family and wife being an equally high value target, he needs to be sure his family is safe so that he can do his job to the best of his ability and make decisions as a PRESIDENT not a FATHER and HUSBAND. That (the fact she is now a high value target) is something she cannot control so why should she have to pay for the extra costs associated with that?
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

bjorn14

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Of course that's about as likely as seeing epaulets on a pig the next time I board an airliner...

Well we did have Swine Flu awhile back.   

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 5):
We already have laws against libel and slander

The Supreme Court settled along time ago that Public Officials cannot sue for libel or slander.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 15):
The guy has like what, a million listeners?

According to A.C Nielsen says Limbaugh has 15-20 million weekly listeners.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

dxing

Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 36):
No mention of Military Cargo Flights per your suggestions...

No mention of how she got there, save a train, period. Despite that I'll repeat, for the third time, what I've already said, if she used public transport for a private vacation that was wrong. Now do you feel better?

Quoting nyc2theworld (Reply 37):
that she and her staff, daughters and SS agents displaced needed supplies and armed forces personnel for her vacation? Who here would complain that she displaced badly needed military gear and men from a flight. (If you think any VIP would fly space available you're wrong.)

They wouldn't since those supplies and personnel would be traveling under orders. If you think that all the big wigs at airline I work for travel POS when they travel on their own time you're wrong.

As for those who say we elected her husband and not her therefore she shouldn't get the same privildges as him, you're conviently forgetting the flip side of the coin, she also lives in the same bubble as him even though she wasn't elected BECAUSE she is one of his closet family members

My wife and kids didn't ask to be part of the airline business. Yet when they travel, just like the big wigs families, they travel at a lower pass classification than if they were traveling with me.

That (the fact she is now a high value target) is something she cannot control so why should she have to pay for the extra costs associated with that?

That just doesn't fly. If the person who ran for President was so concerned about his families welfare, they shouldn't have run in the first place, or , as in the reported case of Colin Powell, the family members shouuld have spoken up and said we don't want to live like that and we don't want to chance losing you. Former first ladies and former Presidents children fly commercial all the time. Lots of high value VIP's travel commercial all the time. A government owned 757, used for a strictly private vacation, with only a pittance of the operating cost being reimbursed is simply wrong IMO. There have got to be other, cheaper, ways that are just as good for them to get around if they so desire on their own time.

ltbewr

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:16 pm

I have no problem with critizism of politicans and governemnt policies, that is fully protected by our Freedom of Speech parts of our Constitution and part of a healthy society. Where I do have a problem is how far too many who critizise, on all parts of the social and political spectrum, rarely offer any realistic constructive ideas, but rather just bash certain persons or beliefs using mocking and silly stunts, comments, using code words or terms or just going to the gutter of racism, sexism and otherwise disrespectable attitutes.

We have seen some commentators who went too far face being fired for racist comments, for examples shock jock 'Greaseman' a number of years ago, more recently Don Imus. In some ways the comments of Limbraugh, Beck and his similar shock commentators are not too far removed from those of these once better known commentators and they need to face some conquence for their actions and comments.

mt99

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 39):
if she used public transport for a private vacation that was wrong. Now do you feel better?

Know what will? Go back to your original thread

First Lady's Vacation In Spain (by dxing Aug 6 2010 in Non Aviation)#113

And awknoldege that Laura Bush did this terrible thing herself.

It doesnt make me feel any better, because it exposes you for what you are. You are not concerned about the money are you? you are concerned to make it an issue about one particular person.

If you want to keep your arguments honest, then take of those blinders for a second make sure you look around.

Maybe it does make me feel better - it is this type of dishonesty that will keep haunting the GOP.

nyc2theworld

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:45 pm

They wouldn't since those supplies and personnel would be traveling under orders. If you think that all the big wigs at airline I work for travel POS when they travel on their own time you're wrong.

And what does your airline have to do with this? The "big wigs" at your airline do not have to deal with anywhere near the logistics of security a first family does.

My wife and kids didn't ask to be part of the airline business. Yet when they travel, just like the big wigs families, they travel at a lower pass classification than if they were traveling with me.

And how many threats against their families do they receive on a daily basis?

As for the most rildlicious statement of all I have to break it down.

That just doesn't fly. If the person who ran for President was so concerned about his families welfare, they shouldn't have run in the first place, or , as in the reported case of Colin Powell, the family members shouuld have spoken up and said we don't want to live like that and we don't want to chance losing you.

I'm quite positive that Ms. Obama and her daughters had many a talk with Barack about the pros and cons of running for President. You're now attacking that family's decision, that yes, we support his run for president, and on the specific topic of security we (as in Barack, Michelle, Malia, Sasha) believe that the United States Secret Service will provide sufficent protection. Now you're attacking the fact he and his family decided he should run for President? Would you like a constitutional amdendment that no married person or person with kids should run for President due to the extra security costs?

Former first ladies and former Presidents children fly commercial all the time. Lots of high value VIP's travel commercial all the time.

Since when did Ms. Obama become a former fist lady?
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

dxing

Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 41):
And awknoldege that Laura Bush did this terrible thing herself

I have already said, this is the fourth time now, that no first lady, or any public official, save the President himself for which a travel budget exists, should be using public transport for private events. Now you want me to be first lady specific? What part of all doesn't cover Laura Bush? Read reply 81 in that thread.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 41):
You are not concerned about the money are you? you are concerned to make it an issue about one particular person.

No, I said all. You are the only one insisting on Laura Bush.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 41):
Maybe it does make me feel better - it is this type of dishonesty that will keep haunting the GOP.

Perhaps this kind of intellectual revenge (It's all the Bushes fault) will be the downfall of this adminsitration. It certainly seems to be headed that way.

Quoting nyc2theworld (Reply 42):
And what does your airline have to do with this? The "big wigs" at your airline do not have to deal with anywhere near the logistics of security a first family does.

You are the one that brought up VIP's bumping ordinary people. I gave you the example where it sometimes does not happen.

due to the extra security costs?

So you are saying that no military aircraft save ones from the 89th are secure? Or that a commercial airplane can't be made secure?

Since when did Ms. Obama become a former fist lady?

Didn't says she had. So as soon as somene leaves office their threat level diminishes to the point they can safely take commercial aircraft?

[Edited 2010-08-15 16:50:01]

[Edited 2010-08-15 16:50:51]

nyc2theworld

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 43):
So you are saying that no military aircraft save ones from the 89th are secure? Or that a commercial airplane can't be made secure?

I'm saying that those in the 89th go through a more thorough background process. In fact, all the people in support roles of the Office of the President (including but not limited to the 89th airborne) must have yankee-white security clearance.
Again, a commercial plane cannot be made secure enough for the first family. Its as simple as that.

Didn't says she had. So as soon as somene leaves office their threat level diminishes to the point they can safely take commercial aircraft?

Her threat level in respect to the decision making ability of the President, yes. The Secret Service doesn't provide the first family security just for fun. They provide it so that the president can be focused on his job at all times. How would you like if the President was constantly worried about his family which affected his decision making? That's the purpose of the Secret Service in respect to the first family. The President and their family trust the Secret Service so that the President can make decisions as the President of the United States...not as a mother/father/husband/wife.

windy95

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Or that a commercial airplane can't be made secure?

How much more secure can you feel with a TSA inspected Plane? But as we see with this administration what is good enough for us commoners may well not be good enough for them.

Vio

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Rush Limbaugh is an IDIOT... I don't even know why people still listen to this racist, extremist redneck. The America and Americans we look up to are better than this. I'm glad to actually experience it first hand and I can tell you that the majority of Americans (at least the ones I know) are disgusted by this moron!
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

bjorn14

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 46):
Rush Limbaugh is an IDIOT

And how do you know this? Is this hearsay since you live in Canada? Have you ever listened to him for more than thirty seconds? Sounds like you are just hanging out with Rush Haters (i.e., liberals who have never listened to him either)
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

soon7x7

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 46):

Quite frankly, Americans have no one to voice their interests anymore...while the ratings moguls (talk show entertainers) talk about this administration and the adminstration talks about the talking heads...Americans are quickly sinking without survival suits (jobs). Real Americans don't want government handouts...they want to work. The real issues that are the foundation of this country are crumbling under the weight of government apathy. This country has always been a good strong country, its population, innovative and hard working, perhaps too hard, but this administrations agenda is not an American agenda and I'm tired of hearing talk show hosts telling us to WAKE UP. We are all ears! We are awake! While they (talking heads) hang their hats on the November elections, believe me, not much will change.
Americans are surrounded by morons that are steering our futures straight into the ground.      

Vio

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 47):
And how do you know this? Is this hearsay since you live in Canada? Have you ever listened to him for more than thirty seconds? Sounds like you are just hanging out with Rush Haters

That's quite a statement to make, considering you don't even know me. I did listen to him, to Glenn Beck and other colorful characters that need no mention. I will let you know, I'm very involved in politics, both at home and of course, I have an interest in American politics, since they're right next door and everything Americans do affects Canadians as well.

I've travelled to more than 20 US States spanning from Florida to Alaska. I've dated an American girl for more than a year and I spent a lot of time in the US, including Boston and Chicago. I worked for an American company and I was there quite often for meetings, conventions, etc. So yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 48):
Real Americans don't want government handouts...they want to work

That's understandable, but without divergin too much from the current topic, I also realise that Americans are always quick to judge their gouvernment and blame all their problems on the gouvernment's intervention. Fact is there are a lot of countries that have a very socialist system and the standard of living is very high. An example of this is a country I used to live in, for about a year, Finland, which I still visit quite often. Anyway, America is different so we can't compare, but Americans need not be scared of the world "socialism". They automatically associate it with communism.

Another thing that one should mention is that the current situation in America is something that has been in the making for a long time. Most Americans live beyond their means, with new cars, new tvs, new houses and a lot of debt. They of course, are also hard working people, no doubt about that. The problem is that in this new world economy, Americans are no longer competitive in the market. The labour costs are too great here...

Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.