sw733
Topic Author

Best Places To Visit In The Middle East

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Everyone:

I travel to the Middle East fairly frequently, to Muscat, for work...however, I have never yet had free time to check out areas nearby, except for a stop in Dubai once. Later this year, I will have such an opportunity, as I plan to take 5-7 free days after my work in Muscat.

So I ask the experts of A.Net - where should I go? I am not looking for a ton of excitement, but places with friendly people, interesting sites (historical or modern), and a relaxed atmosphere would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for all of your help - this is one area of the world that I am fairly inexperienced with!

racko

RE: Best Places To Visit In The Middle East

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Tel Aviv/Jerusalem? It doesn't get more historical than Jerusalem. I would stay in Tel Aviv and take a day trip or two to Jerusalem.

You won't get a relaxed atmosphere in Jerusalem, but Tel aviv is the very opposite, very modern, relaxed, a great city.

PanHAM

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Tel Aviv was the immediate reaction form my side as well. I'll be there on biz from Sunday to Wednesday next week again. Great place to be. Bit problematic to get there from MCT however.

powered by Eierlikör

detroitflyer

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:32 pm

There are a ton of places to go in Oman,

check out Wahiba sands, The turtle place (near sur), and of course Sohar. There are tons of remote villages that have wadi bashing activities and such.
Boiler Up!!!

nighthawk

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Beirut is supposed to be really nice. Has anyone been there?

sw733
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I must say I am leaning towards Beirut, if I can find decent airfare out of MCT. I too have heard great things about it and would like to check it out.

Quoting detroitflyer (Reply 3):
wadi bashing

Definitely something I would like to do as well.

racko

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 2):
Bit problematic to get there from MCT however.

Somehow I forgot about that issue.   Maybe to Amman and from there by bus though?

SOBHI51

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Why not Egypt? Great history, nice places to stay and more stable than Beirut. and more flights
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 1):
Tel Aviv/Jerusalem?

I thought TLV looked like a downtrodden 70s Miami, and the Bauhaus architecture wasn't doing it any favors. The vibe/people seemed nice but I was struck how dated it looked. Jerusalem obviously is loaded with things to see.
E pur si muove -Galileo

photopilot

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:09 pm

Petra, Jordan would be my first choice.

OA260

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 4):
Beirut is supposed to be really nice. Has anyone been there?

Yep  Beirut With BMI Business Class+Lounges / Lots Pics (by OA260 Aug 5 2010 in Trip Reports)

Highly recommend Beirut.

ba6590

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:25 pm

Quoting oa260 (Reply 10):
Highly recommend Beirut.

Highly recommend it too, lived there for 4 years before moving to the UK....Great night life, friendly people, great beaches, beautiful women....what more could you ask for  

ClassicLover

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Jordan, without a doubt!

I had a brilliant time there - lovely people, great food! Petra is amazing, among all the other things to see and do. Strongly recommend looking into it!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

sw733
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Cairo, Beirut and Petra...hmmmm, wish I had more time!

Thanks for all the responses, this is going to be TOUGH!

wingman

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:11 pm

From my Jordanian friend who has been urging me to visit the region for 10 years now...Beirut, Damascus and Petra of course. I would also add Israel and Turkey if I had the time and money. Sounds like a full month minimum to hit all that. You could whirlwind the first 3 in seven days but you know how that goes, you won't remember a thing. Best to spend all seven days in one place and make it a quality visit that you'll remember for a lifetime. Have fun.

rwsea

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:25 pm

Cairo definitely does not fit the "relaxed atmosphere" criteria, but the people are friendly and the sights are amazing (I mean come on, it's the Pyramids and King Tut!). I think 5 days would be perfect to see Cairo and maybe do a day or two to Alexandria (easy by train). The prices will be cheaper than what you're used to back home as well.

I have heard that Syria, particularly Damascus and Palmyra, are absolutely amazing. I think Syria and Beirut are next on my Middle East wish list.

SurfandSnow

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Quoting sw733 (Thread starter):
Muscat

I was most impressed with Muscat, though I felt as though I was able to see almost everything in one day. Very relaxed and friendly though, and tons of historic forts, etc. to see! And the Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort was probably hands down the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at!

Dubai

Well worth a visit, if only to see the interesting modern architecture. You can easily beat the heat at Wild Wadi waterpark, or even Ski Dubai! However, it's not relaxed, nor is it friendly.

I am not looking for a ton of excitement, but places with friendly people, interesting sites (historical or modern), and a relaxed atmosphere would be ideal.

I'd say Jordan would be your best bet. Amman is a very laid-back city, and the Abdoun area is clean, safe, and very friendly. There are historical Roman ruins mixed in with modernity, and you can always escape to the Dead Sea or Petra to see some really fascinating stuff. Then you have the beach down in Aqaba.

Personally I loved Istanbul and Cairo, but it doesn't sound like those hectic metropolises would be your cup of tea.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Jasondn

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 pm

I seem to have similar interests as you and I am from South Africa living in Kuwait!

Here's our list of places to see and do before we leave the Middle East:

1 - Sharm El Sheikh (Egypt)
2 - Jordan - no so much Amman as more the Dead Sea, Petra and Aqaba (Monte Carlo of Middle East)
3 - Beirut
4 - Cairo
5 - Hurghada (Egypt)
6 - Istanbul

Also check out Wataniya Airways from Kuwait - really good and quite well priced! They fly out of the biz jet terminal and have brand new A320's.

ClassicLover

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 16):
I'd say Jordan would be your best bet. Amman is a very laid-back city, and the Abdoun area is clean, safe, and very friendly. There are historical Roman ruins mixed in with modernity, and you can always escape to the Dead Sea or Petra to see some really fascinating stuff. Then you have the beach down in Aqaba.

Everyone should visit Petra and the Dead Sea once in their lifetime. The Dead Sea is seventeen different kinds of amazing to swim in   Not been to Aqaba yet, I hear it's great though! Can't wait to go back to Jordan actually!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

sw733
Topic Author

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:52 am

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 16):
Istanbul
Quoting Jasondn (Reply 17):
Istanbul

Love Istanbul. I've been there before and plan to go back this winter. But true Middle East (and perhaps Egypt) is more what I am looking for. So, I am going to decide between Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan depending on how good of a price I can get from Muscat to there.

Thanks for everyones help!

[Edited 2010-08-18 19:52:56]

BA

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:10 am

I love Beirut and Istanbul. By far my favorite cities in the Middle East. Damascus is also nice and is a good day trip from Beirut.

Cairo is also definitely worth visiting.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

OA260

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:51 am

Quoting BA (Reply 20):
and Istanbul. By far my favorite cities in the Middle East. Damascus is also nice and is a good day trip from Beirut.

I love Istanbul also , Id love to go to Damascus. How do you get their from Beirut? Overland?

PanHAM

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:56 am

Quoting racko (Reply 6):
Somehow I forgot about that issue. Maybe to Amman and from there by bus though?

I'd take LCA or ATH to connect