BNAOWB
Topic Author

Which New Interstate Routes Should Be Built?

Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:21 am

Assuming that someday the U.S. government will have ample funding for building new interstate highways, which routes are most needed? Certainly, many major cities need additional perimeters or spurs of existing interstates to their suburbs. But, let's discuss potential routes that would cross state lines and would connect medium-to-large cities. Some possibilities:

Las Vegas - Phoenix
Las Vegas - Reno
Memphis - Kansas City (connecting the Southeast to I-70 West)
Atlanta - Memphis (although once I-22 between Birmingham and Memphis is completed, this won't be as necessary)
Atlanta - Huntsville (the current 4 hour drive could be reduced to almost 2 hours - but the terrain would be challenging)

NIKV69

RE: Which New Interstate Routes Should Be Built?

Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:29 am

Yes on the LAS to PHX. I would also like 10 extened to run direct from PHX to DFW
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

tz757300

Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:50 am

The government should get going on the planned I-101 going from I-95 in DE, down through Delmarva, connecting to I-64 in Norfolk, and connect back to 95 somewhere in NC. I feel that would relieve so much traffic around the Baltimore, DC, and Northern VA area since most traveling around those areas are going to further points.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

casinterest

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:12 am

I'd like to see a route of RaleighNC--Columbia SC- Augusta,Ga, Macon, Ga, Dothan Ala --- I-10

Quoting tz757300 (Reply 2):
The government should get going on the planned I-101 going from I-95 in DE, down through Delmarva, connecting to I-64 in Norfolk,

This would be Nice.

connect back to 95 somewhere in NC.

Just bring it south to NC-64 using Hwy -17 to Williamstonand take US 64 ( (it already is built as an expressway). )back east to Raleigh/I=95
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

tz757300

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:19 am

Quoting casinterest (Reply 3):

Just bring it south to NC-64 using Hwy -17 to Williamstonand take US 64 ( (it already is built as an expressway). )back east to Raleigh/I=95

That works (I don't know too much about highways in that area, so pardon my ignorance haha)
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

KLASM83

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:18 am

Quoting BNAOWB (Thread starter):
Las Vegas - Phoenix

It seems with the new bridge over the Hoover Dam, all that's left is to do widen and make to interstate standard the rest of US-93/US60. I'm not too sure how Boulder City would reply to a bypass, however.
Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

seb146

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 am

Las Vegas - Reno

YES!!!! I drove between LAS and RNO when I was driving the big rigs and it was so stupid on the two-lane road. I am glad they are building an expressway between Carson City and Reno. It should be extended all the way to LAS. Carson is the capital, after all.

In Oregon, a freeway needs to be build between Bend and Portland and Bend and Eugene.
Life in the wall is a drag.

bohica

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:05 am

The government should get going on the planned I-101 going from I-95 in DE, down through Delmarva, connecting to I-64 in Norfolk, and connect back to 95 somewhere in NC. I feel that would relieve so much traffic around the Baltimore, DC, and Northern VA area since most traveling around those areas are going to further points.

NOT IN MY BACK YARD!!!     
Seriously though, I-101 would be a great idea. Then I wouldn't have to drive 100 miles to get to I-95 to go anywhere. However, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel would need to be expanded by building parallel tunnels. Currently the CBBT has 4 lanes on the bridge portions but only 2 lanes in the tunnels. Otherwise most of the highway already exists other than building the interchanges.

texan

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:07 am

The government has been planning to build the I-69 corridor for years now. The planned interstate will have three origin points in Texas: Brownsville, McAllen, and Laredo. It will continue up through Victoria on US-59, then through Houston to Carthage. There are two plans from Carthage: the main branch will split off and go east into Louisiana, Mississippi, and into Memphis on up through Tennessee and Kentucky to Evansville, Indiana and Indianapolis, where it will join with the current I-69 that runs from Indy to Port Huron, Michigan, on the US/Canada border north of Detroit. A separate branch would continue to follow US 59 north from Carthage, Texas to Texarkana.

As far as what else should be included in the interstate plan, I strongly recommend US 287 from I-35 W in Fort Worth up to Dumas, Texas, then following US 87 from Dumas to Raton, New Mexico, where it would join up with I-25. I drive the route frequently with an ever-increasing number of drivers, and the slow downs through the small towns are ridiculous.

I also think a direct interstate route should be opened between Houston and Austin. Ease the drive time a bit between the two major cities.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Alias1024

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:27 am

A few more out west.

Highway 99 in California needs to be brought up to interstate standards. The entire stretch from where it splits off of I-5 south of Bakersfield all the way up to Sacramento.

I-40 should be extended west from Barstow to connect with 99 in Bakersfield.

I'd like a NW-SE route across the four corners, starting near Albuquerque and connecting to I-70 in Utah.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

MSPNWA

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:41 am

Las Vegas - Phoenix

I was on US-93 last month from Las Vegas to Kingman, and I didn't see a need for it. The four lane they have now is plenty. Once it's all four-lane, that should be enough.

I'd like to see a route of RaleighNC--Columbia SC- Augusta,Ga, Macon, Ga, Dothan Ala --- I-10

I could see that. US-1 just doesn't cut it between Raleigh-Columbia.

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:44 am

An interstate from Charleston WV to Cincinnati or Dayton. Currently you have to go via Lexington, KY or drive on Kentucky 9 which is a pain. We do have Interstate 73/74 here in Greensboro, and the eventual master plan is that the I-74 here will eventually link up to the Interstate 74 that runs from Quad Cities through Indy and then down to Cincinnati (and when completed will parallel KY 9 then down through West Virginia to Virginia and then through the Carolinas to Mrytle Beach). Not sure what the I-73 master plan is,

An extension from Macon, GA to either Augusta or Columbia would be nice. Call it I-220 or I-675 or something.

I know my cousin's in Columbus, OH would appreciate an interstate highway between Columbus and Sandusky so they wouldn't have to take the back roads between the two.

It's just a shame for these small towns along the US Highways and State Routes that will be continue to go by the way side as more and more interstates are built.

Athens, GA needs to be connected via interstate to somewhere (most likely ATL, but even an extension to I-85 to the north or I-20 to the south would be great since it's all back roads to get there. Traffic must be fun on UGA game days...

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 9):
Highway 99 in California needs to be brought up to interstate standards. The entire stretch from where it splits off of I-5 south of Bakersfield all the way up to Sacramento.

Anything to help speed up that drive once you get over the Grapevine. Talk about bbbooorrriiinnnggg....

Quoting texan (Reply 8):
I also think a direct interstate route should be opened between Houston and Austin. Ease the drive time a bit between the two major cities.

I wonder which would be better, looking at a map: building a stretch of highway from Austin through La Grange and then connecting to I-10 near Columbus (along the current State Route 71) or a little more northern route along the current US-290

Also in Texas, a stretch of interstate from Fort Worth to Wichita Falls would be nice.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

garnetpalmetto

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:09 am

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 10):

I could see that. US-1 just doesn't cut it between Raleigh-Columbia.

I agree in principle, but I doubt you'll see much traction on this. For one, I think eventually high speed rail will be taking the Raleigh-Columbia route. For another, what you're asking for is generally already taken care of by I-40 to I-95 to I-20 (a boring route, but 3.5 hrs isn't *too* bad in terms of drive time). I wouldn't mind seeing a direct highway, though. Cas, only problem with your proposal is that I-10 already exists going from Jacksonville, FL to LA. Would your proposal be an extension of the existing I-10 or would it be a new north-south route that would eventually link in either in Jacksonville or somewhere in the FL panhandle?

The government should get going on the planned I-101 going from I-95 in DE,

The basic idea is sound, but I'm not a fan of the nomenclature. Call me anal, but 3di highways should either be spurs of existing interstate highways (3dis with an odd first digit) or loop highways (3is with an even first digit).

At any rate, my proposal would be a rather simple one - the original plan to complete the Outer Loop (currently I-540 and NC-540) as an interstate without tolls and, once its completed, it be resigned as I-640, given its loop status. Otherwise I wouldn't mind seeing I-20 extended along the current US-74 route to Wilmington, NC or along US-501 to Myrtle Beach
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

N867DA

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:50 am

A quicker connection between Denver and Salt Lake City would be nice.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

n6238p

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:08 am

I'd really like to see an Interstate of even something to highway standards running from say Davenport, IA to Springfield, MO There seems to be a lot of large towns and small cities in between. It could pass through Burlington, Quincy, even Columbia or Jefferson City.

I guess I only say this because I had to plan a trip to Kirksville from Chicago and I noticed there is absolutely no good way to get to anywhere along the Mississippi and NE Missouri. Connect 540 to Joplin and call the whole thing I-37.

I also wish Chicago would go ahead and build the crosstown expressway which would be I-494 but that's a whole different story...
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

Superfly

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:40 am

The enviornmentalist would have a fit!
Many of them are complaining about the first interstate system build in the 1950s.

Quoting texan (Reply 8):
The government has been planning to build the I-69 corridor for years now.

Also, I-69 from Indianapolis through Evansville to Memphis.
Bring back the Concorde

Adam T.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 12):
Otherwise I wouldn't mind seeing I-20 extended along the current US-74 route to Wilmington, NC or along US-501 to Myrtle Beach

Interstate to Myrtle Beach is badly needed - during the summer the stretch of highway to get there is backed up, especially when you get off I-95.

garnetpalmetto

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Quoting Adam T. (Reply 16):

Interstate to Myrtle Beach is badly needed - during the summer the stretch of highway to get there is backed up, especially when you get off I-95.

You'll get than when I-74 is completed in SC, but who knows when that will be since it's not even started yet? You've got SC-22 which will (probably) be designated part of I-73 bypassing Conway, but aside from that...not a whole lot else.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

LH459

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
I would also like 10 extened to run direct from PHX to DFW

Seems to me that I-20 fills that function pretty well, no?

But why stop there, why not all the way through to the 5?
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

Boeing1970

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:39 pm

I can think of a couple:

A North South from Canada through Minot, Bismark, North Platte, Garden City, Liberal, Amarillo. Mainly for trucking of goods.

West to East from Great Falls to the 94 in eastern Montana. Also mainly for trucking.

Maybe a more direct route from Orlando to Tallahassee or the panhandle. The drive from Pensacola to Orlando is a joke.

[Edited 2010-09-10 10:46:20]

garnetpalmetto

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Quoting LH459 (Reply 18):

Indeed. All you have to do is exit from I-10 onto I-20 in Kent. Tada. Anything more than that would require a major realignment of I-10 through Texas that would, essentially, be redundant to I-20 and I-45.

B6JFKH81

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 pm

I know it will NEVER happen because of the NIMBYs, but I would LOVE to see an alternate to get off of Long Island and over the sound. Right now if you live in the eastern portions of Long Island, your only choices if you are heading to CT and further north are to go all the way into NYC to get over a bridge...or take a long ferry ride. I know at one point it was considered to extend Rt. 135 as a bridge but was turned down. It sure would be nice not to have to deal with the Trogs Neck bottle neck. Somehow make a connection from I-495 (the L.I.E.) to I-95 (in CT). One can always dream!

~H81
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

ShyFlyer

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

I'd like a NW-SE route across the four corners, starting near Albuquerque and connecting to I-70 in Utah.

Part of that is already in place. NM44 between Bernalillo and Farmington was re-designated US550 and widened to 4 lanes (the median sucks though) a number of years ago. Should be enough demand to go further with an Interstate all the way to I-70 to provide an alternate route to SLC as apposed to going through Denver and the passes.

Quoting texan (Reply 8):
As far as what else should be included in the interstate plan, I strongly recommend US 287 from I-35 W in Fort Worth up to Dumas, Texas, then following US 87 from Dumas to Raton, New Mexico, where it would join up with I-25. I drive the route frequently with an ever-increasing number of drivers, and the slow downs through the small towns are ridiculous.
Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 11):
Also in Texas, a stretch of interstate from Fort Worth to Wichita Falls would be nice.

Raton all the way to Fort Worth? I like it!  

I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching my head over that.

My thoughts....

I've always thought that extending I-27 from Lubbock to I-10 (around Junction TX) via Lamesa, Big Spring, and San Angelo would be a good idea.

US285 from I-40 south to Roswell was upgraded a number of years ago to 4 lanes. I've always though this would be a good candidate for an Interstate route, probably all the way down to Carlsbad. Maybe all the way down to Ft Stockton TX and I-10 too.

Tucumcari NM all the way up to Wichita KS. It could follow US54 and US400, it would provide another option of connecting to the midwest.
I lift things up and put them down.

HOMER71

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:37 pm

Quoting texan (Reply 8):

Then what would become of the annual MS 150?  
building a stretch of highway from Austin through La Grange and then connecting to I-10 near Columbus (along the current State Route 71)

It's not that bad right now: SH-71 is already a four-lane highway with minimal stops.
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Alias1024

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:57 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 19):
A North South from Canada through Minot, Bismark, North Platte, Garden City, Liberal, Amarillo. Mainly for trucking of goods.

I like this idea. Maybe we can link it up with

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 22):
I've always thought that extending I-27 from Lubbock to I-10 (around Junction TX) via Lamesa, Big Spring, and San Angelo would be a good idea

Because I was only thinking about what would help me!!! You're right, going through to I-5 would make sense.

srbmod

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:07 pm

An extension from Macon, GA to either Augusta or Columbia would be nice. Call it I-220 or I-675 or something.

Most of this would be covered by the proposed I-14, which would run from either Alexandria, LA or Natchez, MS to Augusta, GA or N. Augusta, SC. The part of it proposed for Georgia is what is currently the Fall Line Freeway (GA-540), which goes from Columbus to Macon to Augusta. The proposed I-3 from Savannah to Knoxville could potentially play a role as well (One of the possible .

Athens, GA needs to be connected via interstate to somewhere (most likely ATL, but even an extension to I-85 to the north or I-20 to the south would be great since it's all back roads to get there. Traffic must be fun on UGA game days...

GA-316 as well as the Athens Loop (GA-10) does a pretty good job on game days getting traffic around. US-129 and US-441 are Athens' links to the interstate highway system as well as GA-316 and US-78. Perhaps if I-3 does get built, they'll route it from Augusta to Athens, as one of the proposed routings uses either US-129 or US-441.

4holer

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 22):
Part of that is already in place. NM44 between Bernalillo and Farmington was re-designated US550 and widened to 4 lanes (the median sucks though) a number of years ago.

Perhaps, but the 2 hours it takes to drive thru the traffic-light orgy that is Farmington, NM makes anything that involves it a useless exercise. I've had the "pleasure" of driving thru twice. I think I have some gray hairs from the experience.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

luckyone

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Las Vegas - Phoenix
Las Vegas - Reno
Atlanta - Memphis (although once I-22 between Birmingham and Memphis is completed, this won't be as necessary)
Atlanta - Huntsville (the current 4 hour drive could be reduced to almost 2 hours - but the terrain would be challenging)

Vegas - Phoenix -- YESTERDAY!!
Atlanta Huntsville -- I highly doubt there's enough traffic between the two to warrant an expressway.
Can we add Phoenix - Salt Lake City to that list.

You beat me to it. Traffic on 316 is obscene on a good day. There are simply too many traffic lights for the amount of cars trying to squeeze through there nowadays. Game days -- hahaha, don't even bother going near Athens unless you absolutely have to or are going to the game itself. Also, on Sunday mornings AFTER the game, you cannot swing a dead cat without running into three or four RVs heading out of town...it's beyond ridiculous. There is talk of removing at least some of the traffic lights off of 316 and making them overpasses. I personally am not too sure of the effectiveness of this as at the problem areas the traffic lights aren't even a mile apart. There would have to be some serious rerouting of some of the side streets to make that plan work.

ShyFlyer

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Quoting 4holer (Reply 26):
the traffic-light orgy that is Farmington, NM makes anything that involves it a useless exercise.

Oh, I'm no fan of Farmington traffic, believe me. Any interstate near that town would mean going around town, probably along the south and then over to Shiprock before going north. However, going north through Bloomfield then up to Durango would probably be the best way to go.
I lift things up and put them down.

johns624

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:46 am

Just as long as they don't build any more in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. There's nothing between I75 at the Soo and Duluth, MN. US2 and M28 are two of the most scenic highways around and I'd like to keep them that way.

N1120A

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm all for more highways. This kind.

...Now that I got that out of the way, on to the rest.

More important would be finishing I-49, which is largely done, to complete the New Orleans-Kansas City run starting at the Crescent City Connection and following US-90's alignment to Lafayette, picking up the existing portion of I-49 to Shreveport, then continuing up through Arkansas and Missouri.

10 extended? 10 goes from Santa Monica to Jacksonville. Is that not long enough?  . Seriously though, I-20 already completes this task.

Actually, the vast majority of it already is and it is planned that CA-99 will become Interstate 9 or Interstate 7 in the not-too-distant-future.

Here is a good read if you like this sort of stuff.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist6/99masterplan/docs/chapter3.pdf

Caltrans has been asking for money from the feds for this for years, and has built some piecemeal improvements to CA-58 already. Remember that I-40 basically ends right into CA-58, which then runs straight to the 101, passing through Bakersfield. That said, making it easier to get from Bakersfield to Las Vegas, which would be the big point here, isn't a huge priority.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
The enviornmentalist would have a fit!
Many of them are complaining about the first interstate system build in the 1950s.

This one likes the interstate system. The problem is the focus on roads without alternatives.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

fraspotter

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:11 am

Maybe have an Interstate that serves to "connect" I-35 and I-45 in Texas? Maybe from Georgetown/Ft. Hood through the likes of College Station, Navasota and connecting with I-45 near The Woodlands?
"Drunk drivers run stop signs. Stoners wait for them to turn green."

garnetpalmetto

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:17 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
10 goes from Santa Monica to Jacksonville. Is that not long enough?

Maybe Nik wants a causeway built from Santa Monica to Honolulu?    Seriously as others, myself included, have said in the thread, I have no clue how reroutng I-10 through DFW would do anything that I-20 doesn't currently do.

N1120A

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:23 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 31):
Maybe have an Interstate that serves to "connect" I-35 and I-45 in Texas?

Well, they already do connect at their beginning and end. There is no need for yet another long intrastate interstate when the national needs are already met. Its not like this would be a major trucking or transport route like the conversion of CA-99 will be. States need to spend their own money too. I know this is foreign in a place like Texas, but still.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:59 am

More important would be finishing I-49, which is largely done, to complete the New Orleans-Kansas City run starting at the Crescent City Connection and following US-90's alignment to Lafayette, picking up the existing portion of I-49 to Shreveport, then continuing up through Arkansas and Missouri.

The parts in Missouri should be done in the next couple of years, as the plan is to convert US-71 to Interstate standards, which a portion already meets. Should be really nice, once it gets done.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

Flyawa

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Possible interstates west of the Mississippi River:

1- Bakersfield to Red Bluff via CA99
2- Barstow to Buttonwillow via CA58
3- Phoenix to Las Vegas via US60, 93
4- Flagstaff to St. George UT via US89
5- Gallup to Spanish Fork via US491, 191, 6 (alt would be Bernalillo to Shiprock)
6- Winnemucca to Boise
7- Rawlins WY to Rapid City
8- Glendive to Regina (transborder)
9- Lubbock to Junction TX via US87
10- Junction TX to Houston via US290 (panhandle to Austin!)
11- Ft. Worth to Raton via US287
12- Shreveport to Kansas City via US71
Better than most, not as good as some.

Alias1024

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:07 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
States need to spend their own money too. I know this is foreign in a place like Texas, but still.

Speaking of states needing to spend some money, highway 41 needs to be widened to four lanes ASAP between Fresno and Oakhurst. It isn't just the Oakhurst, Coarsegold, and North Fork residents that use it, but everyone from Fresno headed to Yosemite or Chukchansi Casino. Lots of traffic and the casino and Yosemite traffic isn't real familiar with where the passing lanes are, resulting in a lot ill-advised passing attempts on a two lane road. Very dangerous.

Caltrans has been asking for money from the feds for this for years, and has built some piecemeal improvements to CA-58 already. Remember that I-40 basically ends right into CA-58, which then runs straight to the 101, passing through Bakersfield. That said, making it easier to get from Bakersfield to Las Vegas, which would be the big point here, isn't a huge priority.

Caltrans in central California has made out like thieves under the stimulus bill. They had tons of projects ready to go, just waiting for the funding. Fresno county was able to step up to the plate on their end, and now there's tons of orange barrels in and around Fresno. They're getting money that other states don't have shovel ready projects for.

As for the I-40 extension, I'm more concerned about trucking than people from Bako trying to get to Las Vegas to party. I-40 runs all the way to North Carolina, and that last little stretch to get it into the San Joaquin Valley would certainly be helpful to industry in the valley.

TSS

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:41 am

Las Vegas - Reno
Quoting seb146 (Reply 6):
YES!!!! I drove between LAS and RNO when I was driving the big rigs and it was so stupid on the two-lane road. I am glad they are building an expressway between Carson City and Reno. It should be extended all the way to LAS. Carson is the capital, after all.

Agreed.

They're getting very, very close to connecting I-22 to I-65 just North of Birmingham right now... basically one more hill and a little bit of paving to go.
And then they'll have to build the interchange, of course.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

N1120A

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:23 am

Or the 101?

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 34):
The parts in Missouri should be done in the next couple of years, as the plan is to convert US-71 to Interstate standards, which a portion already meets. Should be really nice, once it gets done.

The good thing in Louisiana is that it will have a full speed, interstate route between Lafayette and New Orleans that allows a much more direct route avoiding Baton Rouge. Will probably cut 20-30 minutes off that route.

Quoting flyawa (Reply 35):
1- Bakersfield to Red Bluff via CA99

Why to Red Bluff? I-5 goes to Red Bluff already. CA-99/I-9 doesn't need to go beyond Sacramento.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 36):

Caltrans in central California has made out like thieves under the stimulus bill. They had tons of projects ready to go, just waiting for the funding. Fresno county was able to step up to the plate on their end, and now there's tons of orange barrels in and around Fresno. They're getting money that other states don't have shovel ready projects for.

Yep. Caltrans has its faults, but it is probably the best at planning roads way ahead of the funding.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 36):
As for the I-40 extension, I'm more concerned about trucking than people from Bako trying to get to Las Vegas to party. I-40 runs all the way to North Carolina, and that last little stretch to get it into the San Joaquin Valley would certainly be helpful to industry in the valley.

The Vegas part was a joke. The reality is that CA-58 is already pretty sufficient for the task, and hooks right up with I-40.

steeler83

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:51 am

Where is that? That HSR train looks awesome!

That aside, how about they make all of NJ 55 into a super highway. I was on that stretch of road last month while going to Wildwood from Philly thinking it would be faster than US 322 to the Parkway. I found out the hard way that the highway becomes a 2 lane local road in the middle of nowhere several miles from the shore. They really need to make the southern portion of 55 that is local road into some kind of highway that either goes directly down to Wildwood or at least links up with the Parkway down there...

I think they're proposing to make US 322 into a highway from the Comm Barry Bridge to Glassboro. That would help a lot...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

casinterest

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Would your proposal be an extension of the existing I-10 or would it be a new north-south route that would eventually link in either in Jacksonville or somewhere in the FL panhandle?

Diagonal route down. It would be a kind of a parralel middle of the I-85/65 and I-95 routes, that would terminate to I-10 ior continue down to Panama City.

the original plan to complete the Outer Loop (currently I-540 and NC-540) as an interstate without tolls and, once its completed, it be resigned as I-640, given its loop status

Cmon, you southern wake folks just need to pay the toll

Seriously through, I think it will all be tolls eventually.

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 19):
Maybe a more direct route from Orlando to Tallahassee or the panhandle.

I've always thought they could extend the Turnpike through Leesburg and shoot it through Perry, but you will only shave around 50-60 miles off the I-75/10 route. The added business case is kind of minimal since there is not much Commercial or Municiplal business in that area other than farms and logging,.

TWFirst

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Quoting N6238P (Reply 14):
I'd really like to see an Interstate of even something to highway standards running from say Davenport, IA to Springfield, MO There seems to be a lot of large towns and small cities in between. It could pass through Burlington, Quincy, even Columbia or Jefferson City.

I guess I only say this because I had to plan a trip to Kirksville from Chicago and I noticed there is absolutely no good way to get to anywhere along the Mississippi and NE Missouri. Connect 540 to Joplin and call the whole thing I-37.

I also wish Chicago would go ahead and build the crosstown expressway which would be I-494 but that's a whole different story...

The 'Avenue of the Saints' (the route from St. Louis to St. Paul), i.e. US 61 along the river from St. Louis up to Keokuk is supposed to eventually one day be interstate. I-72 will also evenutally be extended west from Hannibal along US 36 to St. Joseph. SO, once that happens, you could drive 55 to 72 and go west to Macon, MO, then the short 2-lane drive north to K-ville.

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 21):
I know it will NEVER happen because of the NIMBYs, but I would LOVE to see an alternate to get off of Long Island and over the sound. Right now if you live in the eastern portions of Long Island, your only choices if you are heading to CT and further north are to go all the way into NYC to get over a bridge...or take a long ferry ride. I know at one point it was considered to extend Rt. 135 as a bridge but was turned down. It sure would be nice not to have to deal with the Trogs Neck bottle neck. Somehow make a connection from I-495 (the L.I.E.) to I-95 (in CT). One can always dream!

Robert Moses' original plan was for the LIE (I-495) to continue over the sound and connect with 95 near the CT/RI border... hence why it was badged with an even 495 (indicating a loop from main trunk route) vs an odd 395 or 195 (indicating a spur off of the main route, which it actually is). The other irony is that the current I-495 officially doesn't even link with 95 on the west side of the route in Jersey... it's NJ state route 495. It was supposed to be I-495, go through the Lincoln Tunnel and then be elevated along 30th street in Manhattan as the Mid-Manhattan Expressway (can you imagine!?), connect with the Midtown Queens Tunnel and the current LIE and then cross the chain of islands extending off the North Fork of Long Island and connect back with 95 around Westerly.

I could go on and on about Moses' plans.... for example if Lomex would have gone through (Lower Manhattan Expressway... basically I-278/I-478 connecting I-78 from the Holland Tunnel over Manhattan to both the Willamsburg and Manhattan bridges... it would have destroyed Soho, the Village, the Lower East Side... some of the most valuable and historic parts of Manhattan today.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

KPHXFlyer

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:49 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 10):
I was on US-93 last month from Las Vegas to Kingman, and I didn't see a need for it. The four lane they have now is plenty. Once it's all four-lane, that should be enough.

US-93 from Vegas to Kingman will be great once the bypass is completed. The current 35 MPH - 55 MPH no passing dance along the first 20 miles of the AZ side are no fun if you get behind a loaded RV.

Headed south from Kingman to Phoenix is fine for the most part but I really hope the US-60 expands to at least a four-lane divided highway along it's length.

Going north from Phoenix is very trying as it seems to me that the current US-60 is optimized for southbound traffic not northbound.

I think the AZDOT plan for 2025 is to turn US 60 into an interstate. Maybe it was 2050.

N312RC

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:15 pm

I vote for a new interstate connecting Jacksonville, FL with Gainesville and Ocala along the lines of US-301. Anyone that has driven this route will understand what I'm saying.
N/A

LH459

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
Or the 101?

Because I was also only thinking about what would help me!  

But you're absolutely right, of course. All the way to the 101 would make sense.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
The reality is that CA-58 is already pretty sufficient for the task, and hooks right up with I-40.

I dunno, that road is a congested mess half of the time!
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

garnetpalmetto

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 40):
Cmon, you southern wake folks just need to pay the toll

I'm Northern Wake, thank you very much! And I hope the I-540 section never goes toll. It'd be a PITA to pay a toll to go down one exit to Triangle Town Center or to go down a couple exits to Creedmoor so I can head to a 'Canes game or to the airport. Yes, alternate routes exist but they aren't as expeditious or convenient (yes I could avoid taking 540 to go to RDU, but why should I waste time, gas, and frustration going down Falls of the Neuse to I-440 and then I-40?

At any rate, another pair of 3dis I wouldn't mind seeing - redesignating SC-277 in Columbia, SC as I-177. It was built to interstate standards with controlled access and there's no doubt it's a spur into downtown Columbia. Similarly, just be done with it - designate NC-147 (the Durham Freeway) as I-185.

The only problem with such realignments/redesignations is you'd have people howling over the route change, as happened with I-40/I-85/Business-40 in Greensboro. That whole debacle still makes my head hurt.

[Edited 2010-09-13 12:57:57]

casinterest

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Quoting N312RC (Reply 43):
I vote for a new interstate connecting Jacksonville, FL with Gainesville and Ocala along the lines of US-301. Anyone that has driven this route will understand what I'm saying.

Cmon you are just trying to deprive some Waldo/starke Police officers of some much needed revenue.  

As a former college student in Gville, I know exactly what you are trying to avoid. Not to mention 301 is kind of a death trap out near the big lakes due to heavy fog issues.

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 45):
only problem with such realignments/redesignations is you'd have people howling over the route change, as happened with I-40/I-85/Business-40 in Greensboro. That whole debacle still makes my head hurt.

Yes you would, but I-185 wouldn't work since part of 147 will be toll.

bhill

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:58 pm

I-5 through downtown Seatlle...BOTH North AND South bound....4 lanes down to 2....and ANY Interstate hiway that has on-ramps and off-ramps on the LEFT side...buncha knuckleheads that "designed" that little feature...curious, are there any on ramps on the left in the Autobahn system?
Carpe Pices

AA757MIA

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:17 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 13):
A quicker connection between Denver and Salt Lake City would be nice.

Either expand US 287 between Fort Collins and Laramie or US 191/6 Between Green River and Provo, that would save at least an hour of travel.

Quoting flyawa (Reply 35):
Rawlins WY to Rapid City

There's not a whole lot of traffic of on that route, but yeah, those roads are a PITA (US287/WY789/WY220/US18), way too many miles for the short trip; Once that's done I would add Rapid City/Dickinson, ND.

N1120A

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:41 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 39):

Where is that? That HSR train looks awesome!

LOL. Really? That's the TGV in France that broke its own speed record for fastest railed passenger train.

Quoting LH459 (Reply 44):

But you're absolutely right, of course. All the way to the 101 would make sense.

Actually, the route it takes over the mountains and down to the coast is quite scenic, not heavily traveled and probably shouldn't be touched. That said, it does go all the way.

Quoting LH459 (Reply 44):

I dunno, that road is a congested mess half of the time!

That will happen no matter what, simply because roads are not an efficient form of transportation.