soon7x7
Topic Author

A Solemn Day - In Remembrance of September 11

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:34 am

Remebereing the thousands that perished at the hands of a few...
WTC, New York,...

NIKV69

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:54 am

I gave up my day tomorrow spotting at LAX. My sacrifice for the souls that sacrificed more for me.

Never forget..

R.I.P.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:06 am

The reason my A.net signature is what it is. Never Forget.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Baexecutive

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:16 am

And lets not forget the brave men and women in the armed forces who are giving up their todays so we can have our tommorows!

11Bravo

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:19 am

I'm going to go play in the park and then come home and paint the hallway. I think we've done more than enough mourning over 9/11. The terrible events of that day are part of our history and we should acknowledge that and move along. For too long in this country we have let this thing define us.
WhaleJets Rule!

soon7x7
Topic Author

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:36 am

Events such as 9/11/2001 and 12/7/1941 are the days that do define us. To sweep them under the rug would be tragic...g

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:49 am

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 5):
Events such as 9/11/2001 and 12/7/1941 are the days that do define us. To sweep them under the rug would be tragic...

As FDR said in his address to Congress following Pearl Harbor: "December 7th, 1941: a date which will live in infamy." The same can be said about September 11th. September 11th changed the US and the world and in many ways still is. While we cannot and should not stop our daily lives, it does not hurt to briefly look back and remember, even if just for a few minutes, while going about the rest of your day. I will be spending the day tomorrow watching the Ohio State - Univ. of Miami game. I do not expect any football games or any other event to be canceled due to the date, but I'll be shocked if at these events there isn't a brief moment of silence to remember the victims of 9/11.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

UAL747

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:01 am

For those who want to see how we lived the day here on A.net on 9.11.2001 see this thread:

Airplane Crashed Into The World Trade Center. (by Hustler Sep 11 2001 in Civil Aviation)
Airliners.net 9/11 Thread
Truly sad and scary to see it all unfold.

RIP to those who were killed in the air and on the ground, and may this nation continue to be blessed with it's wonderful people!

UAL

Edit: Well, that link seems to only provide a few responses to the thread. Can anyone find the entire thread?

[Edited 2010-09-10 22:04:53]
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

OA260

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:56 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 4):

True but nevertheless still must be a time to pause and reflect and to also remember the thousands who have died since in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So today we remember all who have lost their lives in terrorism and "peace missions"

I will never forget where I was that morning I was on a cruise ship docked in Corfu,Greece it was such a warm bright calm morning. After that everything just was so unreal.

RIP

richm

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:26 am

Hi all,

A number of posts were deleted from this thread due to being in violation of the forum rules.

Please ensure that your posts are written in an appropriate manner. In addition, please also avoid posting anything which may be disrespectful. (Including comments which are related to conspiracy theories.)

If you come across any posts which are in violation of the forum rules, please report them using the "Suggest Deletion" feature as opposed to responding to them. All posts which are found to be in violation of the forum rules will be removed.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Regards,
RichM

flanker

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:40 am

NEVER FORGET!!!!

RIP
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

ManuCH
Crew

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:05 am

I will spend this day making a short flight on a Piper Archer in the skies of beautiful Ticino.

Never forget... RIP

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dna

Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

LTU932

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:18 am

This day is particularly filled with mixed feelings for my parents. On the one side, it's the day of the biggest terrorist attack in history, and at the same time it's their wedding anniversary.

I hope that such an attack will never happen again. We must never forget, but we also need to show the terrorists that we're not afraid, and that we should go on with our lives, in defiance to the fear and terror groups like Al Qaeda want to spread. We did so in Germany during the heyday of domestic terrorism in the 70's, and we can all do this as well right now.

Never forget, and may the victims rest in peace.

dw747400

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:55 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 6):
While we cannot and should not stop our daily lives, it does not hurt to briefly look back and remember, even if just for a few minutes, while going about the rest of your day.

I agree entirely. It is important that we take a moment to remember the events of September 11, and those who were lost, but we also must look forward.

Personally, I'll be spending most of the day in the air, teaching students to fly only a few miles outside of Washington DC. Both of my students today have dedicated themselves to the service of their country; one is an active duty NCO in the US Army and the other is slated to attend USAF OCS next year.

In a certain way, it feels appropriate.

[Edited 2010-09-11 02:57:21]
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

lhr380

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:09 am

I will be in work early, and at the time of first impact will just stand still and think back to that time 9 years ago where the face of New York and thousands of lives changed for ever.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

BMIFlyer

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:26 am

My facebook status today.....

"From the destruction of the Twin Towers, to the devastation at the Pentagon, and the cratered field in Shanksville, we will remember them." Sept 11th 2001 will surely be noted as one of the darkest moments of the 21st Century. Rest In Peace the 2977 innocent victims of this day, 9 years ago.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Surprise

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:01 pm

There are a very few days that completely stand out in my life. The birth of my children is first and foremost among them. Sadly, the death of JFK and 9/11 are the other two. 9/11 truly changed our world forever. Today I will pray for those who lost their lives and those who must continue on without loved ones. God bless them and the men and women who are on this day fighting to preserve freedom in this world.

F9Animal

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Today is a day we should never forget. May those that lost their lives, rest in peace. May the terrorists involved, rot in hell.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Braniff747SP

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:04 pm

I'll never forget the day that I saw UA 175 hit WTC 2. I was 5... It was a traumatizing thing to see for me. I just wrote a whole story about the day I saw it happen... I'll never forget those who died, as well as those who died defending our country because of that event.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

AGM100

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:30 pm

I AM STILL ANGRY . I am still angry as hell ....

Never forget ....
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

SA7700

RE: A Solemn Day - In Remembrance Of September 11

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:29 pm

In remembrance to all those innocent victims who tragically lost their lives on September 11, 2001. May they forever rest in peace.

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

RayChuang

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:53 pm

This forum has major significance for me because I found out about the 9/11 attacks on this forum on the message thread someone referenced. As soon as I saw that message thread at 5:50 am that morning I turned on Fox News Channel and never turned off the TV until 10:30 pm that night--a truly sobering experience.  

hoons90

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:52 pm

A couple of years ago, I visited the Tribute WTC Visitor Center, a memorial located by Ground Zero. It was absolutely heart-wrenching, and I cried so much that two strangers came over to comfort me. The 'missing person' posters that were made by the victims' loved ones were the most heartbreaking.

Never forget, and may the victims rest in peace.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

YYZRWY23

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:41 pm

I have three things I would like to share.

On September 11, 2001, I was in the fourth grade. Like for many, it started off a normal day. Recess time came mid-morning, and I remember a few of my friends listening to a pocket radio. I went over and we listened to coverage of what was going on. Of course, we had no idea of the magnitude, but we knew something horrible had happened. Some of the teachers explained what happened, albeit very sensitively, as we were 10. I then remember looking up into the sky. All I could see were airplanes. As YYZ was apart of Operation Yellow Ribbon, I saw plane after plane after plane approaching YYZ (my school was in-between the approach paths of 23 and 24R). I remember asking my Dad what happened when I got home, he turned on the television, and we all watched in horror.

In August of 2006, I visited New York for the very first time. We ended up at Ground Zero. I remember looking past the fences where those two great towers stood. And looked up. Suddenly, I had the worst feelings in the world. I could see those men and women that had had enough and jumped from the top, I could see the smoke billowing from the towers, and I could see them collapse. My father, a man who doesn't really get upset, or very angry, showed an anger at that moment I had never seen before. At that moment, a FDNY rig drove by with it's lights and sirens on, and it was too much. I saw the posters of the missing, the ones that hoped they would see their loved ones again, and they didn't.

In August of 2009. I visited Washington, D.C. My mother was able to get my family a tour of the Pentagon. I was very excited to see it. The hub of the United State's defense. We were led around by two soldiers, and eventually made it to the spot where AA 77 hit the Pentagon. I remember the soldier, stopped us and said, "Look all the way down the hall to your left, and all the way down to your right. Ladies and gentleman, you are standing at the impact point of AA 77, and if you look down to the end of this hall, you can see how much of the building the aircraft destroyed. I was shocked. I was standing where it happened, where on a quiet morning in Washington (granted the WTC had already been hit), a plane came out fo the sky, and smashed into the ground right where I was standing. I could see the soldier in front of me, standing stoic and at the ready, but with a tear rolling down his cheek. At the end of the tour, when my family was gathering our belongings, I went over tot he soldier and said " Sir, I am from Canada, but I just want you to know, that everything you do to defend your nation, and its freedoms, Canada is right there with you, whether it be the Canadian Forces, or just any Canadian that supports your mission." He shook my hand and thanked me, saying that he really appreciated hearing someone from another country understand and support the cause he was fighting for. This soldier had already gone through two tours overseas.

To everyone who perished on this fateful day 9 years ago, may your rest in peace. To the emergency services that responded to the call on that day, I remember you every time a fire truck, ambulance, or police cars passes me by. And to my fellow Canadians in the Canadian Forces, and to all armed forces fighting to defend my freedoms overseas, I thank you. And hope for your safe return home.

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

D L X

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm honoring 9/11 by living my life. I'm not doing a damned thing different due to some whack-ass terrorists. It's saturday and it's fall, so I'm watching football.

I just can't live my life in the past.

DeltaB757TUS

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:59 pm

May all the innocent victims of September 11, 2001 rest in peace forever.

I personally at the time of the attacks was a ramp agent in TUS loading a B757 making up flight 308 TUS-ATL. We did not find out about the attacks until after both towers had been hit, by then we were already working on the next two morning launches of which I was working flight 1094 making up TUS-CVG and operated by a B727 tail number N512DA. We were all pulled off the ramp by our manager and told what was happening. You could have heard a pen drop from down the hall.

To all our troops THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO DAY AND DAY OUT. Without you we could not live the lives we do today. From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU.
A/C Flown: CR1, CR2, CR7, CR9, B727, B732, B733, B735, B752, B762, B764, SF3, EM2, D95, M88

Fly2HMO

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:47 pm

I'll just post something a friend from wrote on facebook that echos my sentiments to the letter (he's a pilot, FYI):

Quote:
Ok so today is 9/11/10, 9 years since THAT day. I turn on the news, and there's the usual parade of dignitaries and statesmen giving long winded speeches (as dignitaries and statesmen so often do, well, just about all the time) at the various locales we're so familiar with today. Ground Zero, the Pentagon, Pennsylvania, etc etc. Changing the channel, the History Channel is doing their usual 9/11 footage roll which I can never get through more than 30 minutes of before I have to look away (it doesn't hold much back) and NatGeo has pretty much the same thing going over there.

So like most 9/11s, I plan to spend the day with the TV off. Which I feel a bit of guilt from. I think every 9/11 I feel very conflicted on how to spend the day. Do I sit on the couch paralyzed by endless footage of an even that event 9 years later? An event that even today seems larger than life. LIke I'm watching a Jerry Bruckheimer film. It's amazing stuff, really. And it was such a tremendous event in our country's history that we're still living through the aftermath a decade later. But I also feel bad for reliving it and bringing everything back to square one with my heart filled with anger and sorrow once again.

Some say this should become a national holiday. That we should set 9/11 aside forever more so we can stop and really remember what happened. But in a way I have to dissagree. Not because I'm one of those lunatic "truthers" or even a bleeding-heart liberal who thinks somehow we are to blame for it. No, I disagree because I can think of no better way to "remember" 9/11 than marching into work (especially my work) and keep on trucking. Perhaps instead of mourning what happened and lamenting on the day the music died, we need to all dive ahead into this day.

The terrorists LOVE that we cry every year. The goal was to make us stop and be scared and, well look at us! Completely entranced in our own sadness every year now for 9 whole years. If you ask me, the best way to show them we won't be brought down is to do the exact opposite. If we're talking about a day of remembrance, at least we should make it like Memorial Day or 4th of July and make it a celebration. After all, what is more American (and therefore, anti-terrorist) than huge BBQs, fireworks, and sales on cars and mattresses? 9/11, in my mind, needs to be a day where we, as a nation, drop our drawers and moon those S.O.B.s

So I think today I'll leave the TV off. After all, I get enough 9/11 footage and commentary just about every day on the news channels. Nobody needs to remind me as I shuffle off to an industry that feels the pain of that day every day. Instead, I'm going to enjoy this beautiful Saturday, with weather that was almost identical to that fateful day 9 years ago. And I hope more people do too. Perhaps the best way to remember 9/11 is to perhaps forget about it, even if just for a day.

AGM100

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Quoting d l x (Reply 27):
I'm honoring 9/11 by living my life. I'm not doing a damned thing different due to some whack-ass terrorists. It's saturday and it's fall, so I'm watching football.

Well said ! That is what we are doing today as well ! Live on but dont let the flame go out.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Flyawa

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:25 pm

One of my most cherished aviation memories was in 1983 on arrival at LGA one morning from YUL on board an Eastern 727. As we flew south past the west-side of Manhattan, a low cloud deck covered the entire area, then there like magical palaces, only the top 5-10 floors of the WTC stood in the gleaming clear sunshine above the clouds.

As we banked left to turn east toward LGA, I marveled at these twin towers in such a surreal setting. Before long we were dropping into the clouds and fog bank, returning to a nighttime-like darkness it seemed, and down to the hustle and bustle of NYC.
Better than most, not as good as some.

Gingersnap

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:27 pm

I remember coming home from school, and just standing watching the TV in complete and utter shock.

I spent half of February 2001 in the states, including some time in NYC. I stood below those magnificent towers, and I almost felt a sense of loss and was completely in disbelief.
I returned to New York the next February, and flying into Newark looking at the skyline...the void was sobering and I must say I shed a few tears.
It's a day no-one will forget, and i'm sure future generations will always be taught what happened on that tragic day. It was like a bad dream that was impossible to wake up from.

It's just so frustrating what those tragic events have done to the world as we know it. We've lost many freedoms, and air travel (as the above poster mentioned) has become a bad experience in so many cases. I love flying, always have and always will...but I just sometimes feel the need to avoid it.
I think for many it will be impossible to move on from what happened, and it's no surprise if that is the case.

We'll never forget.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

santosdumont

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:46 pm

The towers belong to the ages, but the Lady in the Harbor still stands.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

OA412
Crew

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 pm

That's an excellent way of looking at it. What's done cannot be undone. Everyone alive and old enough to remember that day, will never forget it. But, we also have to live our lives in the present and accept that what happend on that will always be a part of our history, but that we cannot allow it to consume us.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

steeler83

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:08 pm

I spent the day in downtown Philadelphia today with my future wife. We took a carriage tour of Old City and Society Hill and learned quite a bit of where certain things were at the time of our country's founding.

Everyday citizens fought and died for our freedom today...

Freedom wasn't free then, and it's not free now...

My thoughts and prayers are still with those and the families of those who perished 9 years ago today...

God bless America!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

ajd1992

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Pretty much the same here. Yes, it was a horrible tragedy, but you can't get hung up on it. You need to move on with your life.

You should not forget your past as a nation, but you should not let it define your future.

ShyFlyer

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:11 am

I was filling out some paperwork this morning and when I wrote out the date, I realized for the first time how the number 11 kinda resembles the Twin Towers. At least, they way I write my ones - just a straight line.
I lift things up and put them down.

fraspotter

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:02 am

On 9/11/2001 I was 13 years old and in the 8th grade... I was attending Kaiserslautern Middle School in Germany near Ramstein Air Base. Since Germany is 6 hours ahead of the east coast, it was after 2 in the afternoon when the planes first struck the WTC... School got out at 3PM and we all went home like normal. I hadn't heard a thing about what had happened... It wasn't until around 5 PM CET (11 AM ET) that I had heard anything about what had happened... I had gone home on the bus (lived off base in a German village) and was doing my homework (didn't watch TV after school) when my mom and sister rushed into the front door and turned on the TV. The multiple US installations around Kaiserslautern were told to evacuate all non essential personnel (aka anyone no carrying a gun) but there was a back log in trying to get everybody off base due to the increased security (Threat Con Delta, aka the worst there is) so they were delayed getting home. My dad who also worked on base was stuck trying to get out as well. I was young at the time and had never been to NYC so when the "World Trade Center" was announced, I didn't know what they were talking about... It wasn't until the images (reruns of the events by this time) of the buildings came up that I realized what they were talking about.

The TV as so many other people also mentioned didn't go off for the rest of the evening. I still have the Military Stars and Stripes Newspaper from the 11th as well as the one from the 12th that had a giant photo on the front of the WTC damaged and giant words that read "America Under Attack". I also went onto CNN.com and printed out the headline story with pictures and have that to this day.

School for the next 2 days (Wed-Thurs 12th and 13th of September) was canceled obviously and we didn't go back to school until Friday the 14th though I failed to understand why as with the school being located on a military base (one that's in a foreign country none the less) the school buses carrying the children and other traffic couldn't get on base. Security was immense. The bus ride would usually be 15 to 20 minutes to get to school which started at 8:30 AM but took closer to 4 hours and students arrived around noon. Other bus drivers gave up and just drove their students home... Everybody whether it was a car or a bus would have to exit the vehicle and be searched, patted down, have a police dog come by, etc. The older high school students were trying to act normal but the smaller elementary students were understandably scared... It also didn't help their emotions to see two humvees flanking the main gate each with a soldier manning a mounted .50 cal. machine gun. It was a scary time that I'm glad is in the past. I just hope we don't have a replay in the future...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

b707forever

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:10 am

On 9/11 I was 8 blocks from the trade centers. AA 11 overflew my office, just barely before slamming into the North Tower. I was outside when the UA 767 slammed into the South Tower and watched the starboard engine fly out of the building along with the nose wheel. I went into shock and don't think I've really come out of it since. It's a blur for me of screaming masses on the streets, observing people jumping from the Towers, screaming noises from all the emergency services and then running for my life as the first tower fell.

I couldn't tolerate the sounds of airplane engines for weeks. I couldn't sleep soundly for 2 years. I returned to work the next week to a war zone where the streets were watered down every hour because of the human remains that were burning and spreading ash throughout the neighborhood. I stopped by a Red Cross van and asked for OJ and a cookie as I walked with a colleague numb our first days back. I offered to pay the woman for the food and she said, "No honey, we are here for you..." and that's when it hit me, I was in a catastrophe beyond my understanding. She refused my money and I've been grateful for the Red Cross ever since.

Learning of those who were family and friends of those close to me and the continual sense of terror that seemed to fuse itself into my soul. I knew it was PTSD for all of us but also knew it couldn't be helped, just dealt with in time.

I awoke this morning at 8:48, about the time the first plane struck the South Tower. The day was identical today, not a cloud, pure blue sky, the perfect weather. My thoughts immediately went back and I said a prayer and tried to let go of more of the feeling that will forever reside within me watching some 3,000 murdered.

I pray for peace.

c5load

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:15 am

Since I can't edit my post anymore, I will just post another. Being the aviation and airplane fanatic that I am, I remember clear as day the eerie silence and darkness that night when I went outside and looked into the sky and there was not a single strobe light to be seen as far as the eye can see.
"But this airplane has 4 engines, it's an entirely different kind of flying! Altogether"

c5load

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:37 am

I remember I was getting ready for work when the first plane hit the WTC. I was working for a car dealership at the time. It seemed we really didn't want to do any business that day. I think along with most other people that day that it would have been better just to close up and go home to our families.

I am glad though that construction of the new WTC had finally commenced. I know there was some controversy over, A. even building a new WTC, and B. putting it at the same spot. I have this to say about that. We should not live in fear and I personally think that construction of WTC should have commenced as soon as the former WTC was cleaned up. It probably would have been completed by now.

God bless the USA. God bless our troops.   
"But this airplane has 4 engines, it's an entirely different kind of flying! Altogether"

asuflyer05

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:39 am

Folks, allow me to kindly remind you that the purpose of this thread is to serve a remembrance of the September 11th events. Where you were that day, a friend you lost, etc. are all valid points of discussion. However, your feelings on the ensuing military action, treatment of Osama bin Laden, etc. while also valid, are not appropriate for this thread. The mod team is doing our best to balance everyone's viewpoints while keeping the thread on track.

Please help us out but taking a step back before you post something and consider whether or not it is in violation of the forum rules. Thank you.

[Edited 2010-09-11 18:40:33]

cpd

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:44 am

To this day it still upsets me, probably more so than on the day it happened, where I can remember that I just had a numb sort of feeling. It didn't sink in right away.

steeler83

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:49 am

Quoting c5load (Reply 35):
I'm sorry, what is UBL?

A sub-human d-bag...

Anyway, I'll never forget where I was. I was in school, senior year of high school. I was in trigonometry when the planes hit. The next class I went to was my social sciences class which was in a class room with cable. From 9:30 am on there were virtually no classes being held anymore. It was basically just watching in horror what was unfolding. We had to go to the school library to begin research for our senior class projects. We had already seen the towers burning and wondering if we were going to go to war. We get up to the library, it's approximately 9:45 am. The librarian stormed out of there and said, "it's a terrible day, they just hit the Pentagon!"

I remember seeing part of one of the towers fall at roughly 10:00 and thought, "no, that did not just happen." Then I went to my next class and someone said that one of the towers fell, and then I heard that both towers were gone; the other one fell...

Needless to say, there is NO getting over that day!

Heh... you know what else is funny...? I was 18 then. The day before, September 10, one of the guidance councilors came into my social sciences class to discuss the importance of signing up for the selective service when you turn 18... Then that whole thing unfolds the very next day...!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

WarRI1

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:21 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 2):
The reason my A.net signature is what it is. Never Forget.

Excellant, and I agree with you as do many, many more.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

varigb707

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:05 am

Someone sent me this and i'd like to share with you all. It's about one of New York City's Bravest, a Fireman from Brooklyn. Please read and reflect.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/10/september.11.photo/index.html?ref=nf
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

fraspotter

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:15 am

Quoting varigb707 (Reply 43):

I read that story on CNN yesterday... Brought chills down my spine thinking that this man would be dead in a few hours... Indeed the most photographed event in history from so many angles and points of view...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

NAV20

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:23 am

Like most people I have piercing memories of 9/11, even though I live in Australia. It started (for me) with a radio news report that "a plane has crashed into the World Trade Centre." The time here was early evening. Thinking more or less in terms of a light aircraft, I switched on the TV, found that they already had live pictures, and realised the true scale of the tragedy.

Thing was, my daughter was living and working in NYC at the time (in an office on 57th. Street, just south of Central Park) and I knew that she frequently visited the WTC on business. I'd visited her only a few months previously and we'd treated ourselves to lunch in the 'Windows On The World.' So I immediately rang her up and got through straight away. She told me that her office was south-facing and that they were all crowded at the windows watching the tragedy.

Thing is, she knew that I'd been on many project teams designing and constructing high buildings here in Melbourne, and asked me how long it would take to get the people out of the high part of the first tower to be hit; she was worried about friends. Must confess that I avoided saying much. I knew, of course, that the impact would have wrecked all the elevators and disabled the sprinkler systems, and that the firemen would have to haul hoses up the stairs and attack the blaze from below, and that therefore (even if they could find a way of generating the sort of water pressure required) it would be many hours before they could extinguish the fires......

We were still talking when the second plane hit......

As it happened my daughter had a bad time for some months afterwards. She lived in an apartment on E. 29th. Street, just off Fifth Avenue, and was one of the few New Yorkers who could walk to work. Going home that evening she told me that she was just about the only person walking south; through crowds of people walking north to try to find trains or cabs that would take them home.

For ages after that she had to put up with the dust and fumes that smothered Lower Manhattan; and she wasn't helped by the fact that her immediate boss (who normally lived in Battery Park) pressured her into letting her stay in her tiny two-room apartment until it was safe to go back to her own place - which took many weeks.

I'll never forget the enormous shock that I felt - and I still feel that it was the cruellest thing that I have ever seen in my life. My saddest memory, which I expect is shared by many people, is recalling the squads of devoted (and, as it turned out, doomed) firemen converging on the buildings before the collapses. Even though I have some knowledge in the high buildings field, I didn't anticipate the collapses (certainly not so soon) - and it looks as if no-one else did either.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

Mudboy

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:40 am

As an American, I would like to thank those around the world, that showed us so much support, that dreadful day. As bad as we felt, I felt good to have you standing behind us; from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!!!

In traveling around, and the people I have talked to, it is always interesting to hear where they were when it happened. My Fiance from Hungary, said that everywhere she went that day, wherever there was a TV, crouds were glued to it, and she remembers people crying as they watched in horror!

Stay safe everyone!

[Edited 2010-09-11 23:00:26]

NIKV69

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:58 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 46):
As an American, I would like to thank those around the world, that showed us so much support, that dreadful day. As bad as we felt, I felt good to have you standing behind us; from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!!!

In traveling around, and the people I have talked to, it is always interesting to hear where they were when it happened. My Fiance from Hungary, said that everywhere she went that day, whereever there was a TV, crouds were glued to it, and she remembers people crying as they watched in horror

I echo the sentiments. It's refeshing to see some parts of the world were supporting us. Especially after seeing the crowds in Palestine cheering the attacks. Which was very hurtful.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

baroque

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:03 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 45):
Even though I have some knowledge in the high buildings field, I didn't anticipate the collapses (certainly not so soon) - and it looks as if no-one else did either.

NOt if you read the 2000 "What if" thread that can be found from the earlier links. The What if thread is very sobering. A number were pretty close to working out what happened.

Probably all the more reason to be angry.

The first pictures we saw were of the Pentagon, with the US news channel - presumably CNN but I forget which as within half an hour we had 4 different feeds of the developing disaster - and there was almost no comment and at first the smoke in the distance looked a bit like a "usual" attack in the ME. Then they switched to NY and the real nature of the attacks unfolded.

If we really want to honour the memory of those lost, we must prevent it happening again. Which means not letting up on security at airports, no matter how long without a problem but preferably addressing the root causes of the problem and that is far more difficult. But surely just because it is difficult should not mean that it cannot be openly discussed and addressed?

OA412
Crew

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:20 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 45):
Even though I have some knowledge in the high buildings field, I didn't anticipate the collapses (certainly not so soon) - and it looks as if no-one else did either.

I actually watched a documentary a few years ago on the History Channel (as I recall it was part of the Modern Marvels series) that specifically discussed the towers and why it is that they weren't able to sustain such an attack. It also detailed how the positioning of the elevator shafts and emergency exits actually made it so that fewer people were able to escape since their positioning meant that they were destroyed as a result of the impact. They posited that if they had been placed at different positions, they may have survived the impact allowing people from the upper floors to escape. It was all quite fascinating. Obviously, it wasn't about judgment or blame, just showing how even the best laid plans may be inherently inefficient given the perfect set of circumstances.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West