futurepilot16
Topic Author

UK Teen Banned From US Over Obama E-mail

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Dunno if you guys have seen this yet.

Quote:
A British teenager who sent an email to the White House calling President Obama an obscenity was banned from America for life, The Sun reported Monday.

The FBI asked local cops to tell college student Luke Angel, 17, his drunken insult was "unacceptable."

Angel said he fired off a single email criticizing the U.S. government after seeing a TV program about the 9/11 attacks.

So what do you think? An overreaction perhaps? I personally think it's funny.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/offb...fe-over-obscene-obama-email-091310

[Edited 2010-09-13 17:08:53]
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

Blackprojects

RE: UK Teen Banned From US Over Obama E-mail

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Looks like a Knee Jerk reaction by Some one in the FBI who may have second thoughts or be overruled or the Teenager could end up never having the Chance to realise his mistake Apologize for it and eat Crow as he should due to being Banned for Life.

NIKV69

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:53 pm

Quoting Blackprojects (Reply 1):
Looks like a Knee Jerk reaction by Some one in the FBI who may have second thoughts or be overruled or the Teenager could end up never having the Chance to realise his mistake Apologize for it and eat Crow as he should due to being Banned for Life.

Doubt they made this decision hastily but probably a good idea to keep him out. I would be willing to bet his words probably warranted it.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Airport

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:08 am

The story might be hilarious if it were a joke or in a movie... If the article is true (link please), the fact that it really happened actually bothers me quite a bit.

It's one thing to get a harsh reaction back from the FBI, that I could perhaps understand... but with the consequences of being banned from the U.S.? For how long?

That seems very hypocritcal to the whole concept of freedom of speech. What was that phrase, "For a country that talks so much about freedom, the people there sure seem scared of those who actually exhibit it."

Cheers,
Anthony/Airport

fr8mech

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:09 am

A knee jerk reaction from the 'tolerant' Obama administration.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...or_life_for_offensive_email_t.html

So he called Obama a prick. So what? I find it offensive that anyone would insult our president, but to ban him for this?

I'd be interested to see what the email says.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

oly720man

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:11 am

Quoting futurepilot16 (Thread starter):
An overreaction perhaps?

Probably, but threatening POTUS isn't going to make you many friends in certain quarters.

Teenagers and alcohol. He can't even remember what he wrote in the email. But he now has his moron's 1/4 hour of fame/infamy.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

fr8mech

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:12 am

Quoting oly720man (Reply 5):
Probably, but threatening POTUS isn't going to make you many friends in certain quarters.

Unless we see the email, we'll never know if he made a threat.

Quoting oly720man (Reply 5):

Teenagers and alcohol.

By the way, what's the drinking age in the UK?

mwhcvt

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:13 am

OTT for certain, I mean who out there can honestly say that they have not done something dumb when drunk, I know that I can't. This ranks in by view people be dumb with there Facebook status and get in S%$T for it.

I think the Mr Obama is an overrated useless individual that has done little since his election, what a useless W£%^&ER.

Sits and waits for message banning me from the USofA   
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

Kent350787

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 6):
By the way, what's the drinking age in the UK?

18 to purchase alcohol. Unsure whether there are age limits on consumption......

BMIFlyer

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:29 am

I read the UK version of the story earlier....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-Brit-banned-from-US-for-life.html

What an idiot, lol......
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

BMIFlyer

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:34 am

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 8):
18 to purchase alcohol. Unsure whether there are age limits on consumption......

At the moment.

You have to look "at least" 21 now to purchase alcohol - anyone looking younger will be asked for ID.

http://www.challenge21.co.uk/pos.html

Be aware that plans are in the process of being drawn up to raise the UK legal drinking age to "21".

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:47 am

Seems fair to me, at least with a e-mail there is proof of what was said. The Brits have banned Michael Savage for something he said on his radio program. However, they refuse to say what it was he said, that caused his banning?.

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:15 am

Quoting Airport (Reply 3):
That seems very hypocritcal to the whole concept of freedom of speech.

I'd agree with you if he'd made his comments on Twitter, on a public website or forum, etc.

But he didn't.

He sent his commentary DIRECTLY TO THE WHITE HOUSE. And that's where he crossed the line.

So for example, you can say you think I'm a jerk if you like, and you can even post it on an internet forum like this one - but when you mail a letter to my home saying I'm a jerk, you're no longer exercising Freedom of Speech.

And as a sovereign nation, the U.S. does have the right to bar individuals from setting foot on its soil.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LAXintl

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:10 am

Travel and entering a foreign country is a privilege, not a right.

The US, and every other nation has a right to deem anyone they wish inadmissible. Simple as that.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

WarRI1

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 12):
That seems very hypocritcal to the whole concept of freedom of speech.

I'd agree with you if he'd made his comments on Twitter, on a public website or forum, etc.

But he didn't.

He sent his commentary DIRECTLY TO THE WHITE HOUSE. And that's where he crossed the line.

So for example, you can say you think I'm a jerk if you like, and you can even post it on an internet forum like this one - but when you mail a letter to my home saying I'm a jerk, you're no longer exercising Freedom of Speech.

And as a sovereign nation, the U.S. does have the right to bar individuals from setting foot on its soil.

Right on the mark. Let him call his Prime Minister names, I suggest that he not write directly to 10 Downing Street.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

OA412
Crew

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:27 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 4):

Yeah that's it. So tell me, what exactly does any of this have to do with tolerance?  
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 6):
Unless we see the email, we'll never know if he made a threat.

Do you honestly believe that they would have taken the extreme measure of banning him for life from this country if all he had done was called the President a "prick". Let's get real here. More likely than not, the email wasn't as innocent as the sender is making it out to be.

Quoting mwhcvt (Reply 7):
mean who out there can honestly say that they have not done something dumb when drunk, I know that I can't.

Drunkeness should never be an excuse for idiotic behavior. He made the choice to get drunk, and now he's paying the consequences.

[Edited 2010-09-13 19:39:01]
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

soon7x7

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):
Doubt they made this decision hastily but probably a good idea to keep him out. I would be willing to bet his words probably warranted it.

Then a fair share of Americans should be expelled as well...

Quoting OA412 (Reply 16):
Drunkenness should never be an excuse for idiotic behavior. He made the choice to get drunk, and now he's paying the consequences.

Me thinks the white house has larger fish to fry than spending their time with a drunken 17 year old...how thin skinned...C'mon Washington, get with the program!

Mir

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:56 am

I doubt the administration was consulted, actually.

So he called Obama a prick. So what? I find it offensive that anyone would insult our president, but to ban him for this?

There are those on this board who have come pretty close to that, and I know he's being called much worse by others. As long as he didn't make a threat in the email, banning him outright is a huge overreaction. Give him a harsh warning and leave it at that.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

OA412
Crew

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:11 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 18):
There are those on this board who have come pretty close to that, and I know he's being called much worse by others. As long as he didn't make a threat in the email, banning him outright is a huge overreaction. Give him a harsh warning and leave it at that.

Well I actually do agree with your points if all he did was call him a prick. If there were threats then who knows. What needs to be kept in mind here is that this is the "Sun" reporting so anything they say must be taken with a grain of salt. Who knows what the kid actually wrote vs what they are reporting.

Quoting Mir (Reply 18):

Agreed.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:43 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 10):

You have to look "at least" 21 now to purchase alcohol - anyone looking younger will be asked for ID.

Is that a big deal? Just curious. You're still allowed to purchase alcohol, just with valid ID.

Quoting mwhcvt (Reply 7):
OTT for certain, I mean who out there can honestly say that they have not done something dumb when drunk, I know that I can't.

See here:

Quoting OA412 (Reply 15):
Drunkeness should never be an excuse for idiotic behavior. He made the choice to get drunk, and now he's paying the consequences.

WIthout commenting on this particular reaction - you are just as responsible for stuff you do while drunk as while sober. There's no "get out of jail free" card for being drunk.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 18):
Who knows what the kid actually wrote vs what they are reporting.

I'd imagine he wouldn't be too keen to admit he threatened Obama, either.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DocLightning

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:53 am

That seems very hypocritcal to the whole concept of freedom of speech. What was that phrase, "For a country that talks so much about freedom, the people there sure seem scared of those who actually exhibit it."

Well, given that he's not a U.S. citizen and he's not on U.S. soil or under U.S. jurisdiction, I would say that he has absolutely no Constitutional rights.

Overreaction? I think so. Well within our rights? Yes. Don't send foreign governments E-mails calling the head of state an obscenity.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aeri28

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:33 am

again, we don't know what the email entailed. Even though he's a 17 year old kid (17 right?) and more than likely not a direct threat, you still just don't do this sort of thing. It's one thing writing something on twitter or even writing something on airliners.net, but sending it directly to the White House is pretty direct to me IMO. Freedom of Speech is one thing, direct threats to ANYBODY is not Freedom of Speech in my opinion. Although not a fan of Bush, I'd not change my opinion if it were directed to him either. An overreaction? Very possibly, but I don't have a problem with him being banned. It's easy to say this wont affect him in the least, or I'm sure some would say "who cares, why would he want to come to America anyway?" but one never knows how ones life will end up down the road. His employment situation, his future wife, his potential children and any of those situations who may or may not have a relationship with the US.

Anybody know if the average immigration in say, France, or Spain or Japan would be aware of this or would this 'record' follow him wherever he chooses to travel? or even in personal life?

fr8mech

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:52 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):

Whether the administration was consulted or not, DHS belongs to the administration and decisions made there can be laid at the feet of an administration appointee.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
Overreaction? I think so. Well within our rights?

Exactly. Absent a threat to The President, this is an over-reaction, but it is well within the rights of the administration/government.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 15):
Yeah that's it. So tell me, what exactly does any of this have to do with tolerance?

This president, and by extension, his administration have proven rather intolerant of those that would challenge them. And like it or not, 17 or not, foreign national or not, this email could be construed as a challenge.

LAXintl

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:03 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 21):
Anybody know if the average immigration in say, France, or Spain or Japan would be aware of this or would this 'record' follow him wherever he chooses to travel? or even in personal life?

Yes data on inadmissible person is often shared between countries, and nations like Canada which have linked databases with the US can use such information as part their own determination.

Its quite common for folks that have run afoul in other nations be subject additional scrutiny or even denial of entry to the US, so suspect same can happen in reverse.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Severnaya

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 am

Quoting futurepilot16 (Thread starter):
So what do you think? An overreaction perhaps?

As others have stated already before the DHS can decide what they think is right and this guy should clearly not have sent this email.

Anyway, one country less to visit for this guy but 202 other countries left, and besides what's really so special in the USA that can't be found anywhere else in the world?   
Всяк глядит, да не всяк видит.

PanHAM

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:22 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 22):
This president, and by extension, his administration have proven rather intolerant of those that would challenge them. And like it or not, 17 or not, foreign national or not, this email could be construed as a challenge.

It is a difference if citizens of a country insult their leaders or foreign nationals. In this particular case, the US have acted rightfully in banning that guy. May be 25 years instead of life should have served the purpose as well, at 42 people are more mature, but it was a sovereign act of the US and any country can ban anyone from entering.

As others have outlined, there must have been more in he email than the "P" word. Whatever. He wasn't drunk enough to hack on his computer, get the right email adress typed and whatever he wrote was understood. And if that guy has some brains left, if he ever had some, he might even get the idea that after having had a few, nothing else but sobering up should be on the to-do list.
powered by Eierlikör

Quokka

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:29 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 12):

I don't understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the boy as I don't know what he actually wrote. I also accept that as a non-resident alien he has no Constitutional rights. I also accept that the USA, like every other country, may choose who to allow to enter. But are you saying that in the US freedom of speech does not extend to writing to the President? Why would the President make his email address public if people aren't allowed to write to him except to say what a cool guy he is?
I agree that threats are a different matter and may warrant investigation and possible criminal charges, but I also don't see why freedom of speech allows for people to be publicly slandered yet deny the right to say what you think directly to those people. Why should insults and lies be acceptable in a newspaper or on a website under the guise of freedom of speech, but not in a letter to the individual concerned?

Aeri28

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:42 am

Threats are not Freedom of Speech. Why is this a difficult concept to understand? Criticism is another story. You don't think Obama gets criticism sent his way? Im sure he went to whitehouse dot gov. The White House is the home of the POTUS. If he made a threat then it had to be dealt with in some capacity.

Again, we do not know what the email entailed. WE, this message board, other boards and the media are the ones fueling this. All the US secret service had to do was click a button and voila, he no longer can enter the US. Quick and easy decision, the US owes this kid nothing. They've moved on I'm sure.

I also think it's a bit more than "there are more countries in the world to visit". Strong possibility he would have never entered the US. But at 17, so much of your life is ahead of you and he has no idea what his future may entail vis a vis jobs, travel, wife, children, relatives, friends, and each of their possible relationship with the US.

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:26 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 27):
Threats are not Freedom of Speech. Why is this a difficult concept to understand? Criticism is another story. You don't think Obama gets criticism sent his way? Im sure he went to whitehouse dot gov. The White House is the home of the POTUS. If he made a threat then it had to be dealt with in some capacity.

A "threat"?
by email?
from a drunk 17 year old?
from across the Atlantic Ocean?

It is more like total paranoia to me to see this as a threat and ban him for life, whatever names he used in his email. No drunk 17 year old can be a threat to a nation as powerful as the U.S. of A.... big deal... really!

As for Barack Obama being an "open minded" person? Come on... what a joke!

Nicolas Sarkozy gets called names in public by illegal aliens in France and citizens alike - they don't get banned from the country or even get sent to court. The same with the wife Mrs. Bruni.

Talk about the U.S. being the "Land of the Free"... I hope the next coming U.S. President will un-do the 17 year old drunk lifetime ban from entering the U.S.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Aeri28

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:04 am

I think it's hilarious that people actually believe Obama read this email and called in security. Equally funny is the assumption that he was banned for calling him a name or saying something about his policies. I wish I could be so open minded that if someone threatened me, I'd shrug my shoulders, kick a can and I'd laugh it off over drinks. If you did that in my house , I'd kick you out. If you did that from your house, I'd not invite you over. Since you're so privy to what was in the email, why not fill us in?

Again, threats are not free speech. Critisizing and name callings are not the same as threatening. If your country allows someone to threaten Sarkozy, Bruni or even the Grimaldis without some investigation, then that's the law or your country. At the least i'd expect deportation and yes, bannning for threatening a President. (again, sheisse in my house, you out the door, threaten to sheisse in my house, why would I want to take the chance in inviting you over? But I do believe, initially, the US took the easy way out and simply banned the kid in the guise of "who's got time for this BS". Very easy, no fuss, no mess. One less to worry about. Again, I dont have a problem with this. The US owes him nothing.

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:27 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 29):
If your country allows someone to threaten Sarkozy, Bruni or even the Grimaldis without some investigation, then that's the law or your country.

It used to be that the Grimaldi's names could not be offended in public. Any names allowed to even be shouted in public but not the Grimaldi's. This seems to have changed a bit since Prince Albert took over from his father. In Prince Rainier days, a Grimaldi offender would be jailed right on the spot if heard by local police authorities. The old Prince was strict, yet there was nothing such as banning these individuals. They had to pay their debt by doing time with no bailout and that was it.

This seems to be no longer the case. It is quite common that the Princesses are being called names out loud when other football teams come to Stade Louis II to play the Monaco team, especially with Nice and Marseille, two teams with rather heated supporters, or PSG the team from Paris, their supporters having an even rougher reputation.

CrimsonNL

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:34 am

This guy has some weird priorities, whichever drunk person comes up with the idea to write a letter to the White house! I think banning is extreme though. I'd just put a remark behind his name to give him some extra trouble when trying to clear immigrations. Banning someone for insulting the president sounds like something a totalitarian state would do.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

BMIFlyer

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:20 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 19):
Is that a big deal? Just curious. You're still allowed to purchase alcohol, just with valid ID

It's designed to stop those under 18 purchasing alcohol. We have a lot of people in this country who look young for their age, myself included  

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 31):
Banning someone for insulting the president sounds like something a totalitarian state would do.

Should we all send them an e-mail and get ourselves banned? Tempting idea, but maybe it's wiser not do it just yet.  

oly720man

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:57 am

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 31):
whichever drunk person comes up with the idea to write a letter to the White house

In vino veritas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vino_veritas

He saw a tv program about 9/11, was affected, and once smashed out of his brains he acted on his thoughts.

Maybe he can be a health warning. But then again, there are enough drunken idiot copy-cats who will probably try the same to see how far they can go before they get banned from America. The White House email in-box will probably resemble a pub throw out time in (pick your city) with its sozzled philosophers putting the world right.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

offloaded

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:03 pm

We've all been teenagers, and in many ways I'm thankful that things like email and Facebook didn't exist back then. I'd hate to think I'd post even a tenth of the crap that kids wantonly post all over the place these days.

However, here we have Fox News quoting Britain's finest newspaper, The Sun. I'm sure the story is a little more indepth than both of these sources are quoting.

The kid doesn't seem very bothered about behind barred from America for life. He may feel differently in 10 years time when the company he works for wants to send him to New York for a meeting and he can't go. Or maybe with the true depth of vision that teenagers have, he's only thinking Disneyland, and there's always Paris.

There are many ways to express oneself, being offensive and threatening are two of them, and two that are considerably less likely to get your point of view any respect at all.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 35):
He may feel differently in 10 years time when the company he works for wants to send him to New York for a meeting and he can't go.

I hope the next president/government will have him un-banned. Otherwise it will be bad news for the U.S. of A. a proof that they have tunred into a Mussolinian style totalitarian State.

The Obama administration should have more important fish to fry than banning this drunk 17 year old from entering the country.

Think how many dangerously potential terrorists might be right on the U.S. soil right at this moment, maybe preparing more attacks against the country. Yes, it could very well happen again and it will not be because of the 17 year old drunk's "p***k" named emails to the White House.

Rather than bumming and banning those drunk kids who call the President "names" they should think of getting the US of A economy and finances back into shape, stop the war, and get on with real business.

Gloom as economists warn that the U.S. is 'running out of bullets' and in danger of financial apocalypse

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...e--signs-growth.html#ixzz0zVgVZRSA

PanHAM

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:59 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 36):
The Obama administration should have more important fish to fry than banning this drunk 17 year old from entering the country.

Exactöy. They could not and should not care less about a 17 year old punk who drinks too much and the next administration could not care less either.

Banning a person from travelling to a country is an administrative act which, in a state of the law, can be appealed. The guy can hire a US lawyer to handle that appeal at his expense., I doubt that he will be successful and I doubt that he is interested now. Whatever happens in 10 or 20 years when he might be send by a company outside the UK and all of a sudden realises that he cannot travel should no be our concern.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 36):
I hope the next president/government will have him un-banned. Otherwise it will be bad news for the U.S. of A. a proof that they have tunred into a Mussolinian style totalitarian State.

I am really critical about the US and the laws they invented after 9/11 and their way of making these laws applicable outside their own territory, outisde their njurisdiction. However, in this particular case , the US is exercising their sovereign right and as mentioned before, the guy can appeal. The comparison with Mussolini is rubbish, police state in many ways yes, but not Mussolini.