mirrodie
Topic Author

Titanic, Shuttle And 9-11. Only Time Will Tell.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:56 am

The Titanic was one of the biggest tragedies of its time....took less that 100 years for a Titanic inflatable slide to come out (though I dont recall any jokes bout it. http://www.fun-makers.com/titanic.html

Sometime after the Space Shuttle blew up during ascent, I remember hearing jokes as a kid such as "what does this red button do" and "What does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts."

So now of the the bigger tragedies of our time was 9-11.

I throw out this question: What is the stature of limitations on jokes with poor taste? Seriously, I feel its only a matter of time before we one day here jokes about it.

I recall seeing a 'celebrity roast' on Comdey Central that taped a few weeks after 9-11. Someone started to tell a joe about the WTC and the comedians all called out, "too soon, too soon!" how fitting that the comedians drew a line somewhere.

Its only a matter of time though....
But have you ever wondered what dictates the statue of limitations on poor taste?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

OA412
Crew

RE: Titanic, Shuttle And 9-11. Only Time Will Tell.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:01 am

Quoting mirrodie (Thread starter):
But have you ever wondered what dictates the statue of limitations on poor taste?

Not a whole lot unfortunately. I think that given the fact that 9/11 was a terrorist act while Challenger, Columbia and the Titanic were not means that people will probably remain a bit more reserved in their willingness to joke about the event many years down the road. Still, I don't put it past some idiot comedians, once they think that enough time has passed, to start telling 9/11 jokes.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Elite

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:38 am

Family Guy has touched on a 9/11 joke in one of its episodes but I can't recall any one person or show straight up making jokes regarding 9/11.

akiss20

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:13 am

I would give it another 10 years or so. The producers came out in 1968, about 20 years after WWII.

To be honest I think it is part of how society moves on and heals. No one forgets those who died, but something can't seem so terrible if you can laugh about it. If we stayed solemn and sad about every tragedy in human history the world would be quite the bleak place. I mean, how many of you can laugh about a time that you thought was the worst in your life? I know I can....
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

Flighty

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:19 am

People don't joke about Pan Am 103, 22 years later. Mostly because it's not funny.   

Pearl Harbor is another example... not funny, for either side.

Klima

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:29 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 4):

I know there's a Family Guy episode where they reference PA103.

The only "joke" I've heard relating to 9/11 is the knock, knock joke:

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
9/11.
9/11 who?
You said you'd never forget!

There is some rather obnoxious "art" floating around on the internet, though.
http://media.funlol.com/content/img/fresh-prince-of-911.gif

Airstud

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:30 am

I really believe 9/11 is in a whole separate league from those other tragedies, and not just because it's more recent. Not to diminish the loss of life in the Space Shuttle accidents, but there were only seven(?) lives lost in each of them. Whereas in 9/11 it was 3,000 people who died - and only because they got up that morning and went to their offices.

Astronauts are doing a dangerous thing by going up, I daresay even passengers on steamships are doing something dangerous (if less so). And what befell the Shuttle crews and the folks on the Titanic were all accidents; whereas 9/11 was a wilfull act by human beings.

(It took all I had just now to refer to the 9/11 planners and hijackers as -- ick "human beings"    )

I kinda hate to say this, but maybe that will prevent 9/11 jokes from being made - the fact that it happened to everyday folks. Most of us aren't astronauts, and possibly fewer of us are steamship passengers in 1912, so we know that Space Shuttley and Titanicky things can't happen to us. Whereas a terrorist attack on civilian office buildings...

*shudders*

creepy...
Pancakes are delicious.

rfields5421

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:36 am

Each generation seems to have a defining public moment of extreme emotion where the world suddenly becomes a cold, cruel place:

For my father and mother it was Pearl Harbor

For me JFK's Assassination

For my younger brothers - the Challenger

For my sister - 10/23/1983 Beirut (I think only because I was there)

For my daughter and son - 9/11

No one ever finds the event which touches them deeply and personally funny ever. Any jokes are always in bad taste and not appreciated. The wider the impact of an event - the more people who find any humor objectionable.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:53 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 2):
Family Guy has touched on a 9/11 joke in one of its episodes but I can't recall any one person or show straight up making jokes regarding 9/11.

It's the one where they go back in time to the 80s and some guy says something of the effect to Brian "I'll kick your ass - anytime, anywhere! You name it!" and Brian says "Meet me at about 830 on September 11th, 2001 on top of the World Trade Center" and the guy responds "I'll be there! I won't forget!"

[Edited 2010-09-15 20:04:07]
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Airstud

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:59 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 8):
Brian says "Meet me at about 830 on September 11th on top of the World Trade Center" and the guy responds "I'll be there! I won't forget!"

I used to lllllllllove Family Guy when it first started back in 1999. I watched it loyally, even fervently researching its shifting broadcast schedule, so I wouldn't miss it.

Then I noticed it as it got raunchier and raunchier, often just for the unfunny sake of raunch, and also watched it find new ways of being tasteless, with or without raunch. I finally just completely quit watching it.

I see I made the right decision.

Their writers have quite a bit of growing up to do.
Pancakes are delicious.

ltbewr

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:11 am

If you look at satire sites and other media like The Onion, they have done humorous/funny plays on 9/11, even a week after that terrible event. One of the most memorable articles on The Onion,was of the terrorist who carried out the 9/11 attacks suffering in hell, using references to Dante's Inferno and others. That played on wishful thinking, the thought of them suffering etertnaly, realizing they were not getting their 72 virgins, their loins in flames, etc. of painful revenge, was something almost everyone wanted to go through. Even last week on the 9th Anniversity, they did a satirical article on the '9/11 truthers', mocking them.

Sometimes tasteless humor, even about 9/11, is a mechanism to deal with such tragedies. Even I had an obscenely tasteless joke that was inappropiate by any standards as to 9/11.

flymia

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:13 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 2):
"Meet me at about 830 on September 11th, 2001 on top of the World Trade Center" and the guy responds "I'll be there! I won't forget!"

I dont remember that one. But they also had a joke. The Louise (wife) was watching news coverage of the WTC and Peter comes in looks at the TV and says "wow must of been a women pilot"

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 3):
To be honest I think it is part of how society moves on and heals.

I agree. Even though I am not one to make fun of 9/11 it is only natural. Just like how people who deal with bad situations all the time like doctors, police officer or paramedics. They need to make jokes sometimes about situations that might seem horrible. If they didnt they would go insane.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

OA412
Crew

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:28 am

It's the one where they go back in time to the 80s and some guy says something of the effect to Brian "I'll kick your ass - anytime, anywhere! You name it!" and Brian says "Meet me at about 830 on September 11th, 2001 on top of the World Trade Center" and the guy responds "I'll be there! I won't forget!"

There's also the one where Lois is running for office and is advised to just answer every question with 9/11 and each time she does so, the people in the crowd cheer.

flymia

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:10 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 13):
There's also the one where Lois is running for office and is advised to just answer every question with 9/11 and each time she does so, those in the crowd cheer and become increasingly supportive of her.

That was not making fun of 9/11. It was making fun of Ruddy Guliani.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

OA412
Crew

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:21 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 14):
That was not making fun of 9/11. It was making fun of Ruddy Guliani.

Oh OK. I don't really watch the show all that much. I just happened to remember that clip.

Fly2HMO

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:36 am

Seriously, I feel its only a matter of time before we one day here jokes about it.

Dude, there's TONS of 9/11 jokes out there already, some extremely tasteless (for average Joe standards anyways). I'd post a few but the impending flame war probably wouldn't be in my best interests.

mirrodie
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:41 am

People don't joke about Pan Am 103, 22 years later. Mostly because it's not funny.   

Well none of the events are funny. We can all agree on that. Yet after time, let's face it, people "go there."

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 7):
Any jokes are always in bad taste and not appreciated.

true but the jokes remain. I think I heard a few about JFK's assassination as well.

Thats not even funny. Its just dumb. Never saw the show but sheesh.

I always found that concept interesting during that celebrity roast that they shouted "too soon." That there is ultimately some unknown variable timeframe where the telling of such jokes is faux pas.

Come to think of it now, it was Gilbert Gottfried telling that aristocrats joke at Hugh Heffner's roast, just after 9-11. From a clip from "The Aristocrats." Youtube has clips of that joke (too risque for this forum) but not with the 9-11 portion just prior to its telling.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

4holer

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:59 am

Oddly, the only 9-11ish humor I found amusing was what you least expected; RIGHT after it happened on the first SNL aired following the event. You know, the one opened by Rudy G and a whole bunch of NY firemen which was huge at the time. They did a skit making fun of the huge displays of patriotism occurring at the time. It had an office meeting with all the staff there in various red, white, and blue clothes. And Wil Farrell shows up in a stars n stripes thong.

Like some examples given, it makes light of events of the time without actually "making fun of" the event itself. If/when that line gets crossed, who knows.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Elite

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:59 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 11):

I dont remember that one. But they also had a joke. The Louise (wife) was watching news coverage of the WTC and Peter comes in looks at the TV and says "wow must of been a women pilot"

I don't remember either, but there was one when Peter was pretending to be James Woods and he says, "It's a really funny movie, kinda like 2 pies to the face and one in a field in Pennsylvania" or something like that. Seems like FG makes a lot of 9/11 references.

flymia

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:46 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 17):
And Wil Farrell shows up in a stars n stripes thong.

I remember that and honestly that clip is very funny. It does not make fun of people dying or planes crashing etc..

EDICHC

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 2):

There are jokes out there, if you are sensitive then avoid the issue. I can only say if I were the victim in some hideous calamity, I would have no objection to someone having a laugh at my expense. Naturally I won't repeat any here.

Still suffering aftershocks down here after the recent earthquake, but the jokes are there. It's called laughter in the face of adversity.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Maverick623

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:08 am

I recall seeing a 'celebrity roast' on Comdey Central that taped a few weeks after 9-11. Someone started to tell a joe about the WTC and the comedians all called out, "too soon, too soon!" how fitting that the comedians drew a line somewhere.

Gilbert Gottfried. I forget who he was roasting (it was very shortly after 9/11)... but as soon as he realized his Empire State Building joke wasn't going to be laughed at, he immediately went into "The Aristocrats".

And people laughed. Probably the first laughter heard in the US after it happened.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Braybuddy

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:34 am

It depends on how far removed you are from the tragedy. Obviously it's going to be taboo (in public anyway) on home ground for a certain period of time, but eventually this barrier will disappear. There have been Titianic jokes going arond for as long as I can remember, and I remember hearing the OP's jokes about the Shuttle within days of the event (and that was long before the internet). Another one circulating at the time was "What do they drink at Cape Canaveral (or Kennedy, whatever it was at the time)? The answer was, of course, Coca Cola . . . because they couldn't get Seven Up.

And I remember e-mails circulating within a year of 9-11, one showing a pic of people sitting round a table in one of the towers laughing at a guy facing the windows who just said something about a plane heading towards them.

I'm sure there are jokes in a similar vein circulating about the floods in Pakistan and the earthquake in Haiti. You'll aways get someone sharp somewhere to apply a good one-liner.

noelg

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:50 am

There are loads of 9/11 jokes out there at the moment, just check out sickipedia for a boat load. Takes no more than an hour for it to be full of jokes, Pakistan and Haiti were going for weeks. Still lots of 9/11 jokes on there. I won't repeat any of them in full but the one about "Bring your Plane to Work Day" made me chuckle  

If you don't like it then don't read them, I find a lot of the jokes tasteless on there related to certain issues (jokes about children on there particularly hit a nerve, but that's because I'm a father), but I don't complain as we need humour.

Airstud

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:51 am

There was kind of a neat trend in the immediate days after 9-11, when somebody circulated an obviously doctored photo of a daft-looking tourist (he was often referred to as a "German tourist" though I've no clue what indicated his Germanity) standing on the rooftop observation deck of the World Trade Center, facing the camera, and a jetliner approaching from behind.

This pic was circulated with the usual "THIS IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE" back story, about how someone e-mailed it from their cell phone moments before impact, yadda yadda yadda.

For those of us who found this a little tasteless and opportunistic, new "photos" were created and went viral - they featured the exact same daft-looking tourist standing in a field as the Hindenburg burned behind him; or him in a lifeboat as the Titanic sank behind him...

So it was neat to see a tasteless joke become itself the butt of jokes.
Pancakes are delicious.

Maverick623

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:41 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 24):
There was kind of a neat trend in the immediate days after 9-11, when somebody circulated an obviously doctored photo of a daft-looking tourist (he was often referred to as a "German tourist" though I've no clue what indicated his Germanity) standing on the rooftop observation deck of the World Trade Center, facing the camera, and a jetliner approaching from behind.

The picture of the airplane was pulled from this site

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jonathan Derden - Jetwash Images

petertenthije

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:01 am

Humour is for many a way to deal with the most dreadful things they have to live with. Those most hardened by rough events in their lives, tend to be the first to make jokes about it. For many, as soon as the initial shock wears of, they start joking. Just go to a hospital. The staff might not make fun in front of their patients, but behind closed doors and back home, they have a very black humour. Same goes for police, fire and military personnel. They have to, if they did not they´d become clinically depressed/insane.
Attamottamotta!

connies4ever

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:41 am

For my father and mother it was Pearl Harbor

Former advertising executive Jerry Della Femina wrote a book called "From Those Wonderful People Who Brought You Pearl Harbour", which was about his early days in advertising. There was a chapter with the same name as the title, which concerned his (then) employers efforts to land the initial account with Sony back in the 1960s, as Sony sought to break into the American market. A very funny book, and the chapter about the Sony situaiton was indeed hilarious.

Generally there are two sides t every coin, and, given enough time, people can see another side to any given situaiton. After all, Attila the Hun was a monster, but we joke about him, or people we liken to him in terms of behaviour. Gengis Khan also.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

us330

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:45 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
The Onion, they have done humorous/funny plays on 9/11, even a week after that terrible event.

To be fair, the Onion isn't making fun of the event itself. The onion makes jokes about things with a connection to 9/11, but not about the event itself. As odd as it may sound, some of their comedy actually helps reinforce the notion that 9/11 is to be taken seriously and not to be made fun of.
Last week's joke was about 9/11 truthers--reinforcing the general belief that this group is just a bunch of nutcases.

sw733

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 9):

Then I noticed it as it got raunchier and raunchier, often just for the unfunny sake of raunch

Funny, I am a master of raunchy comedy and, because of this, I think Family Guy just gets better. I'm terribly incorrect with my comedy, I know, but I love it.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 12):
There's also the one where Lois is running for office and is advised to just answer every question with 9/11 and each time she does so, the people in the crowd cheer.

Haha, for some reason I've had that in my head ever since this past weekend. I keep saying it in my head every day...not really sure why.

"9"
"huhhhh"
"11"
"yeeeaaahhhhhhh"

PHLBOS

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:07 pm

IIRC, most of the related-jokes, e-mails, parody songs that were circulating shortly after 9/11/01 were directed more towards Bin Laden, the Taliban, Arabs and/or Afghanistan. While some may have been directed towards NYC or the Twin Towers (as Airstud described, another e-mail (of the Polish-joke variety) showed a pic of 2 hot-air ballons homing in on the Empire State Building under the heading "Polish Terrorists") or Boeing (one gem of an e-mail was a Thank-You note to Bin laden from Boeing with regards to his interest in the 757 & 767 and suggested that he check out their milatry craft in a Don't call us, we'll call you fashion); most jokesters and comedians alike treaded lightly in terms of what 9/11-related items were to be targeted as jokes.

One e-mail that circulated was titled First 9/11-Related Divorce which told the story of one WTC office worker who was fooling around with a prostitute at a motel, oblivious to the news events on T.V. and radio at the time, and called his wife around 10:30 AM on 9/11/01 (after both towers collapsed) and left a voice-message stating that he was at work. I confess, that one made me chuckle a bit.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

sw733

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 30):
One e-mail that circulated was titled First 9/11-Related Divorce which told the story of one WTC office worker who was fooling around with a prostitute at a motel, oblivious to the news events on T.V. and radio at the time, and called his wife around 10:30 AM on 9/11/01 (after both towers collapsed) and left a voice-message stating that he was at work. I confess, that one made me chuckle a bit.

Hahahahahahahaha

http://www.lostrepublic.us/Graphics/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

NAV20

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 30):
left a voice-message stating that he was at work. I confess, that one made me chuckle a bit.

Loved it, PHLBOS......  

But personally I think that it will be a very long time before 9/11 itself becomes a 'laughing matter' in any sense. The reason being that it was an absolute tragedy with no 'redeeming features' of any kind. Even world wars have their 'good side,' with tales of heroism, sacrifice, the defeat of dictators, etc. - but there was no 'good side' to 9/11.........

On a lighter note, I've always admired this marvellous scene from the British 'Yes Minister' series. The writers and actors were skilful enough to make genuine, inoffensive 'comedy' out of 500 years of incessant European warfare, including both world wars:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXH3-A8zMI

But I think that it will be many years before anyone can do anything like that with 9/11; and it may never happen. 9/11 was just too cruel, too pointless, too tragic - with no redeeming features at all.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

ManuCH
Crew

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:27 pm

My favorite clip so far that derived directly from 9/11, making fun of the Taliban, OBL, etc is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO1cDIllRo0

But making fun of the event itself will not be something happening too soon, at least not in this generation.

No one ever finds the event which touches them deeply and personally funny ever. Any jokes are always in bad taste and not appreciated. The wider the impact of an event - the more people who find any humor objectionable.

My thoughts exactly.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

ALTF4

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:46 pm

stature
statue

Well, you got it close with the different variations, but the correct spelling is "statute".     

I remember just a few weeks after 9/11 being in a bookstore and seeing a "9/11 comic" book. I thumbed through it (I was young at the time) and found it quite disgusting. The few comics I saw were of a boy crashing a toy plane into some block towers and then asking when his daddy would be home and the mom saying "remember, your daddy died" and then there was a text box under the comic poking fun at the little boy. As I said, I was fairly young then and don't remember the details, but just remember being quite put-off by the book.

Of course, losing an aunt and uncle in the Pennsylvania field could make it a little more... personal.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Airstud

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 32):
it was an absolute tragedy with no 'redeeming features' of any kind. Even world wars have their 'good side,' with tales of heroism, sacrifice, the defeat of dictators, etc.

Well hey man, there was plenty of heroism by New York rescue workers on 9/11.
Pancakes are delicious.

rfields5421

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:46 pm

My only 'good' 9/11 joke was a photo titled "United Airlines and American Airlines Announce New Flights to Afghanistan" showing two B-52's dropping bomb loads - one with an AAL tail, the other with a UAL tail.

srbmod

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 16):
Come to think of it now, it was Gilbert Gottfried telling that aristocrats joke at Hugh Heffner's roast, just after 9-11. From a clip from "The Aristocrats." Youtube has clips of that joke (too risque for this forum) but not with the 9-11 portion just prior to its telling.

Gilbert's never really been know for his tact......

Humor is how some people deal with tragedy. While for some the jokes are in bad taste, for others, that makes it all the more funny. The shocking nature of the joke can be cathartic.

I remember the various Challenger jokes, and they got recycled after the Columbia accident.

People even made jokes about the Branch Davidian siege in Waco. (What does Waco stand for? What A Cook Out.)

I don't think anyone made jokes about the OKC bombing or even the first terror attack on the WTC.

EZEIZA

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with jokes about any of these tragedies. Obviously it's plain wrong to make jokles about an event like this to family members of those who died for example, but overall making jokes and taking humour about anything really is a good defense mechanism. We need to have humour every now and then, even in tragic circumstances.
There are jokes about every single tragic event out there, from wars, to the Holocaust, to every other major event, and personally I think its fine.
I think it happens in major events as well to individual tragedies, or at least that's how I react many times. I remember being in the hospital with my mom, basically waiting for my dad to die (cancer) for days. One of the nights, my dad actually did die for a few seconds, but then "came back", and ended up being alive (can't really call that state as "alive", but medically he still was brething) for another 24 hs hours or so. Anyway, at that moment, I can't recall exactly what I said, but it a was a joke of some sort, and I even managed to get a smile out of my mom. Imagine that! It was literally the most tragic moment for my mom and myself, and yet we managed to get some humour out of it. As I said earlier, I see it as a defence mechanism.  
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

NoUFO

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:54 pm

though I dont recall any jokes bout it (the Titanic)

Google does:

A little more modern

I think there are good and bad jokes. It doesn't need a tragedy to make a thoroughly tasteless joke, though I can not imagine a nice joke poking fun at the say, the Shoah (the Holocaust) or yes: 9/11. This is because I think it's difficult to joke about 9/11 without putting the victims to ridicule.

Now I remember I was told that there had in fact been a couple of jokes during the in the 40s that where aiming at the concentration camps. One went like this:

"Oh, Mr. Mueller - you are back from the ... uh ... the camp?"
"Yes, and it was wonderful!"
"Wonderful?!"
"Yes, it was. Great food, interesting work, gym, compfortanle beds, nice landscape ..."
"But Mr. Heinz was there too, and he said it was outright horrible ..."
"Yes, that's why he went straight back."
I support the right to arm bears

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:09 pm

though I dont recall any jokes bout it

After the 2000 Election and with all the people in Florida who couldn't figure out how to vote for Al Gore using the butterfly ballot, one of the jokes that resulted was "Did you hear out of the 755 people who survived on the Titanic, 752 were Republicans? They figured out how to follow the arrows to the lifeboats."
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Aesma

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:55 pm

I recall seeing a 'celebrity roast' on Comdey Central that taped a few weeks after 9-11. Someone started to tell a joke about the WTC and the comedians all called out, "too soon, too soon!" how fitting that the comedians drew a line somewhere.

I feel that's in fact a joke about 9/11.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

EDICHC

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:59 pm

I guess the Kiwis here are a little bit self effacing. On the afternoon following Chrstchurch's earthquake, many people found it hysterically funny when a local radio DJ made the gaffe of playing "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Maverick623

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:06 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 41):

I feel that's in fact a joke about 9/11.

"Too soon" has been a running gag since, well, people have been saying "too soon".

If you watch the clip (which I suggest you do, it really is kinda funny), you'll see that the audience (made up of fellow comedians) really did think it was too soon. There was simply no joy to be had anywhere in NYC for weeks. And it reminded them of it.

So when Mr Gottfried managed to make everyone laugh with a different joke, the impact it had was much, much greater than it could have been otherwise.

Mudboy

Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:26 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 11):
I agree. Even though I am not one to make fun of 9/11 it is only natural. Just like how people who deal with bad situations all the time like doctors, police officer or paramedics. They need to make jokes sometimes about situations that might seem horrible. If they didnt they would go insane.
Quoting petertenthije (Reply 26):
Same goes for police, fire and military personnel. They have to, if they did not they´d become clinically depressed/insane.

This is true, it is called gallows humor.

DocLightning

Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:33 am

I throw out this question: What is the stature of limitations on jokes with poor taste? Seriously, I feel its only a matter of time before we one day here jokes about it.

I dunno, but I remember that when "The Day After Tomorrow" came out in ...what 2003? 2004? One of the reviews read: "We guess this means that it's officially OK to destroy New York City in movies again."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan