Airstud
Topic Author

Ads On A.net - Lots Of Moms Use This Site?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:56 am

In my apartment in St. Paul, Minnemasota earlier this afternoon (or was it yesterday? #@&! night-shift sleep schedule    ), there was an ad atop the non-av thread index that said, "We know you're a busy St. Paul mom, but..."

Uh-huh. OK; kinda creepy that they know that, while I, in my 38th year of male human existence, still haven't gotten that particular memo...but in any case...you think there are enough females, let alone moms, using this here site, a site for lovers of powerful jet-powered megamachines, to justify an ad calling the reader "a mom???"

The same ad is displaying as I type this; I am at work in Minneapolis at the moment but my company apparently has a big ol' Internet gateway in the Bay Area...you know how you pull up Yahoo and it shows a few national headlines and then some local ones? Often when I'm at work here in Minneapolis the "local" headlines are either Bay Area or Arizona (another big tech ops site for us). So right now I am apparently a "busy Belmont mom." I reeeeeaalllllly wonder how "Belmont" is getting in there - I know there's a Belmont-type-town on the San Francisco peninsula (and truly, Yahoo is showing Bay Area headlines at the moment) but I know my company ain't got no data center in Belmont. So I wonder if the ad-targeting mechanism is just messing up, or if Belmont is where our telco/ISP cloud ingress takes place? Neat to think about these things...for me anyway.

(Sorry mods if this belongs in the "site-related" section - I feel mine is more a question on how Internet ad-targeting works than how a.net works...   )
Pancakes are delicious.

Aeri28

RE: Ads On A.net - Lots Of Moms Use This Site?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 am

i see a 'shake n bake' ad on my screen right now.....
now its a 'hawaiian telcom' banner.

RedTailDTW

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:45 am

About 70% of the ads I get are for banks (Namely Wells Fargo and Bank Of America). Kind of like it is telling me something...

The funny thing is that I don't bank with Wells Fargo. Although I do bank with Bank of America...

Mason
(RedTailDTW)
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

DocLightning

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:12 am

I keep getting ads for MaxClarity acne treatment showing this fugly guy with acne as the "before" picture and the same guy without acne, but still just as fugly as the "after."

This is odd because I haven't had a pimple in years.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Springbok747

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:31 am

Firefox with adblock. Its a wonderful thing.
אני תומך בישראל

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:05 am

Doc - I've never seen an ad for an acne remedy here on a.net

Do you only/usually see it if you're logged on at your work? If so is there something in your IT rig at work that signals it's a pediatrician's office?
Pancakes are delicious.

MadameConcorde

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:20 am

I was once told that Firefox has a 'device' in it that can sniff our location from our IP address.
There is a way to debug it by getting one of the program commands out.

I am not a software/programming expert. Maybe one of you could investigate this and figure out how to suppress the line in hte program that spots our IPs.

When I look at the weather sites, they get me my area without even asking. This kind of stuff.

I don't get ads on Anet. I have been using Adblock Plus always. It's a rather efficient tool. Also anti-pop'ups.
I don't use IE ever. Way too much advertisement crap on there that is impossible to take down.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

CPH-R

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:29 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 4):

Except for the sites that live off ad revenue  
Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 6):
I was once told that Firefox has a 'device' in it that can sniff our location from our IP address.

It's not a function of the browser, but more of a function of the given website you're visiting. The website will look up the IP you're connecting with and then display content based on where it thinks you are.

BNE

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 am

My banner ad reading this thread is one from www.airasia.com
Why fly non stop when you can connect

sw733

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
We know you're a busy St. Paul mom, but...

Funny...I'm currently in the South and mine says "I know you're busy dating your brother, but..."

Yep...I'm a jerk.

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 7):
The website will look up the IP you're connecting with and then display content based on where it thinks you are.

Yep. I actually think it's kind of fun to see what they target at different locations. I travel a lot, worldwide, and it's very interesting from a business/advertising sense to see how different ads are in Chicago, LA, Toronto, Hamburg, Cape Town, Hong Kong, etc.

Cadet57

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Umm, most browsers/ isp's can.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

oly720man

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 8):
My banner ad reading this thread is one from www.airasia.com

Adobe Creative Suite for me.

Down the side I could join Shaadi.com and get matchmaked.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Revelation

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Airstud

Yes, Airstud, Airliners.Net mails all your postings to your mom, so you better watch what you say here, or no ice cream for you!

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 7):
It's not a function of the browser, but more of a function of the given website you're visiting. The website will look up the IP you're connecting with and then display content based on where it thinks you are.

Correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation says:

Quote:

Geolocation usually works by automatically looking up an IP address on a WHOIS service and retrieving the registrant's physical address.[1]

And you can find out more about WHOIS at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHOIS#WHOIS_servers

There is a way to debug it by getting one of the program commands out.

Sorry, can't be done. You need an IP address to talk to the web site, and once it has that IP address, it can trace the route that leads to that IP address to find a domain name for your computer or the furthest one on the route to your computer, and then it can give that name to the whois service to try to figure out where you are.

There are some ways to limit the impact, for instance by using an internet service provider that uses network address translation at the border of their network, but those all involve more complexity for them, and thus more cost.

Note the ISPs in general want to help advertisers as a part of keeping this whole internet ecosystem afloat.

On the other hand, some corporations and/or governmental entities really do want to be as anonymous as possible, so they do use things like session border controllers to hide the insides of their networks from the rest of the world.

So I wonder if the ad-targeting mechanism is just messing up, or if Belmont is where our telco/ISP cloud ingress takes place?

Yes, the only thing it has to go by is the last IP address that it can resolve to a domain name, and chances are that IP address resolves to a device on the edge of your network, either at the service provider side (because most ISPs use addresses that can be resolved) or on your company's side.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

DocLightning

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 5):
Doc - I've never seen an ad for an acne remedy here on a.net

Do you only/usually see it if you're logged on at your work?

I never log on at work. I'm always logged on my laptop. And they may know I'm a pediatrician, but it's the only pediatric-associated ad I ever get. In fact, right now I'm looking at TWO identical MaxClarity ads with a fugly girl with pimples on the "before" pictures and the same fugly girl without pimples (small improvement) on the "after" picture. Why can't they use attractive models?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

desertjets

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:17 pm

I don't pay too much attention to banner ads but right now I have four on-screen.

One for Honda certified used cars, one for the new Nissan Versa, one for some resort in Australia, and one for AMEX.

I suppose if I cleared out my cookies/history that would change things. but I had been looking at getting a new car (decided not to buy anything FWIW) so that explains the Honda and Nissan ads. I think I was on Kayak and Southwest.com the other day looking up airfares for my GFs sisters and I was logged into my student loan accounts the other day making a payment.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

sw733

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 14):
I suppose if I cleared out my cookies/history that would change things

Indeed. I have been looking at nutritional values a lot lately (more than usual), and 2 of my ads are Weight Watchers. Note, I am not trying to lose weight...just eat healthier! Jeez...how offensive.  

iairallie

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm

The ads are targeted to the individual. I notice the ads usually relate to things I've been doing online especially when I've been doing research for purchases. Like when I looked up couch slipcovers for my roomated I got ads on here about slip covers. And I have one up right now for college students and another for deals in chicago.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Go3Team

Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:20 pm

It's fairly easy to come up with a way to determine location from IP.

I created a site based on that.

Here is an example image that should be pretty close to where you are:
Yay Pudding!

fca767

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:03 pm

OH WAIT! I can tell you why! Recently the ad's are like this:

You have clear Cookie, and history, but you type in something like KLM.com into the address bar and then go to airliners.net and suddenly all the ads are klm...Nothing to do with typing a thread about klm but just strangely what you put directly into the address bar or more specific going straight to another website with no linking from here or to here. Must just be a lot of mums at your place  

vhqpa

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:20 am

Thats really interesting because according to this site females are grossly under represented here.

I now use Safari plus Adblock but before then I got mostly Australian target ads ie. Air New Zealand inviting me to a Gillard/Abbott free zone although occasionally a US targeted ad would slip through including a public service announcment "Dial 911 at the first sign of a stroke" as well as various dating sites of unknown origins.

If I temporally allow ads right now I have

Air Asia X advertising low fares Gold Coast > KL and low fares onto various Air Asia destinations.
Calvin Klein Jeans
Banyan Tree Resort in Samui, Thailand
Another Banyan Tree ad although this time in Phuket
Daily deals from living social "Do Brisbane Cheap"
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

andz

Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:28 am

Wow it looks like I am really missing out on things by being a First Class member.

Er.... no.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

BMI727

Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:54 am

Quoting andz (Reply 20):
Wow it looks like I am really missing out on things by being a First Class member.

You mean besides your money?  
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Virginblue4

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 17):

Thats creepy that you did that for someone else, I live only a 2 minute walk from there, other side of my house  

If i scroll up and down I have 5 ads:

Southern Trains
Quick Credit Score
Eayjet
eHarmony
Panasonic

Jordan  
The amazing tale of flight.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Quick Credit Score? As in, FICO score; or a UK-type credit score?

Yeah my "example image" says St. Paul (which is indeed where I am at the moment) but in Minneapolis a few hours ago it said "San Francisco!" tee hee hee

Minneapolis has better deep-dish pizza.
Pancakes are delicious.

Virginblue4

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 23):
Quick Credit Score? As in, FICO score; or a UK-type credit score?

A UK type, one of those things that checks your credit rating  
The amazing tale of flight.

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:15 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):
I'm looking at TWO identical MaxClarity ads with a fugly girl with pimples on the "before" pictures and the same fugly girl without pimples (small improvement) on the "after" picture. Why can't they use attractive models?

OK, now I've seen the Max Clarity ads - not here but while listening to AccuBroadway. There's a guy in that ad and he's really not much more attractive in the after picture. Maybe they really do mean Max Clarity, even in cases like his where a little less clarity might be called for...
Pancakes are delicious.

Birdwatching

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:00 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 20):
Quoting BMI727 (Reply 21):
You mean besides your money?

Nice!   

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

PPVRA

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:22 pm

https://www.maxclarity.com/tv/?uid=BN1_PSD1

http://www.singaporeairlinesvacation.../packages/special-malaysia-package

The two I get. My guess the acne one has to do with my age data contained in my profile, but I don't know anything in specific for the Singapore Airlines one aside from, well, this IS airliners.net. . .

[Edited 2010-09-20 10:23:55]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Kiwirob

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 20):

Hmm I didn't think there was any other option, I only get the first class member option when I renew my subscription, I just did it today.

vhqpa

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:01 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 17):

LIAR!!!!!!  

Although it was displaying the correct location of Brisbane the other day.

Vhq.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

einsteinboricua

Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:37 am

Quoting fca767 (Reply 18):
You have clear Cookie, and history, but you type in something like KLM.com into the address bar and then go to airliners.net and suddenly all the ads are klm

I've noticed that. In my campus we use the Tell Me More software. I wanted to find out more so I typed in Tell Me More in the search bar. Needless to say I had Tell Me More ads plaguing every page I visited.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bill142

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 7):
The website will look up the IP you're connecting with and then display content based on where it thinks you are.

And it's quite often wrong. I get lots advertising for Adelaide based businesses and I live 1000km away from Adelaide. Oddly enough, Adelaide is where my ISP is based.

SAHSA

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Just downloaded the Adblock add-on for Firefox and all I can say is THANK YOU! Surfing in peace   

Jetsgo

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:03 am

On the PC I enjoy Firefox + AdBlock Plus + NoScript.

However, on the iPad, I'm currently seeing ads from Vanguard, Verizon, and Wells Fargo. The Vanguard ads have been appearing for months now and I have never once visited their site.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!