oly720man
Topic Author

Industrial Scale Malware

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Interesting story about about attacking computer controlled industrial facilities

One of the most sophisticated pieces of malware ever detected was probably targeting "high value" infrastructure in Iran, experts have told the BBC.

Stuxnet's complexity suggests it could only have been written by a "nation state", some researchers have claimed.

It is believed to be the first-known worm designed to target real-world infrastructure such as power stations, water plants and industrial units.
However, Mr O'Murchu and others, such as security expert Bruce Schneier, have said that there was currently not enough evidence to draw conclusions about what its intended target was or who had written it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11388018

I presume, given that it's designed to operate on systems that aren't connected to the internet it's going to do its dirty work at a given time, or in response to some signal, for example a change in output from attacking or disabling one of the sensors. So if you want to bring down a facility you don't have to completely destroy it, you trigger it to destroy/disable itself by hijacking its control system.

Watch those USB keys on secure computers... should be standard procedure I know, if you've got any sense.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

nighthawk

RE: Industrial Scale Malware

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Quoting oly720man (Thread starter):
Watch those USB keys on secure computers... should be standard procedure I know, if you've got any sense.

should be..... but it rarely is!

All of our systems are stand alone, yet we get the occasional virus appearing on them due to operators using the same sticks at work as they use to copy films at home.

zanl188

RE: Industrial Scale Malware

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe