Ken777
Topic Author

Historic Quarterback Dies

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:28 pm

It's been close to 35 years since George Blanda played professional football.

He played longer than anyone else - 26 years.

THere will be a lot of stories in the media about him - the Dallas Morning News is a pretty good one.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t/APStories/stories/D9IGHPRO3.html

WHile I was sorry to read of his death I (like a lot of people) have to smile when I remember watching him.

Two images I have of him:

In the later years George would go out on the field for a PAT or field goal and, as part of getting set, would pull his pants up over an expanding belly. They guy was in his 40s and did like to eat.

More impressive was in his role as backup quarterback. George was "different" and called his own plays. That makes it difficulty for a defense to actually prepare for him. How do you review tendencies of a 20+ year career? And he's fire up the offense - especially those players who were responsible for protecting him. For a lot of the players he was easily old enough to be their fathers. Almost their grandfathers. And they protected him.

And he won games.

And everyone get interested when he went in as the quarterback.

PSA53

RE: Historic Quarterback Dies

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:45 pm

The man was incredible! If he was on the field as a field goal kicker or quaterback,Blanda would get the job done.A rare iron man in the sport and one of the few Raiders I liked besides Lamonica , Stabler and John Madden.

R.I.P George!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:20 am

I have to say, I laughed out loud:

He also threw for 26,920 yards in his career and held the pro football record with 277 interceptions until Brett Favre passed him in 2007.

He retired 6 years before I was born, but looks like he was quite the character!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

fridgmus

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:51 am

You were one of the best George, both on the field and off. See you on the other side.   

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!