Aaron747
Topic Author

CNN's Rick Sanchez Fired For Jon Stewart Comeback

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:30 pm

LOL looks like this was the excuse CNN had been looking for...apparently Rick Sanchez, who always seemed to be biting his tongue on his own show, finally let 'er rip, accusing CNN of being run by Jews and the like:

Sanchez said that Stewart is bigoted toward "everybody else that's not like him." He said Stewart "can't relate to what I grew up with," saying his family had been poor and he had seen prejudice directed at his father.

Sanchez dismisses it when Dominick points out that Stewart, who is Jewish, is also a minority.

"I'm telling you that everyone who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority?" Sanchez said, adding a sarcastic "yeah."

"I can't see someone not getting a job these days because they're Jewish," he said.

This is interesting because actually, Sanchez was pretty obviously biased about things personally important to him but always went after people on both left and right with pretty equal fervor depending on the issue. Oh well, in today's media market - you can't get away with stuff like that.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...entertainment/e153500D31.DTL&tsp=1
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

NIKV69

RE: CNN's Rick Sanchez Fired For Jon Stewart Comeback

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):
Oh well, in today's media market - you can't get away with stuff like that.

Seems like it depends on who you are calling a bigtot or racist. If a CNN employee that wasn't hispanic got caught on tape calling someone who opposed Obama a bigot or someone who opposes the mosque near the WTC a bigot would they have acted like this?

FOX may hire him. Wouldn't surprise me.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:38 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):

Not sure about that with all the hit pieces Sanchez has done on Beck, O'Reilly and other FOX personalities on his now-former CNN show.

What does being Hispanic have to do with it? Sanchez obviously has issues with Jews that have power and when you make an issue of who the bosses are and claim they are not a minority, then you're not going to last long in media - period.

On the other hand, having just listened to all of his comments on YouTube, I don't think his points were all that unfair.
They are linked here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...-sanchez-over-controverial-remarks

[Edited 2010-10-01 17:45:42]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Pyrex

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:04 am

Sanchez said that Stewart is bigoted toward "everybody else that's not like him."

Which he is. Don't see what the problem is there.

Sanchez dismisses it when Dominick points out that Stewart, who is Jewish, is also a minority.

In the Tri-State area? How is being Jewish a minority in New Jersey, where he grew up, where New York, where he works, or the entertainment business, which he is in?

"I can't see someone not getting a job these days because they're Jewish," he said.

If it is in a pork abbatoir that is only open for business on Saturdays then maybe, otherwise no.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

WarRI1

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:17 am

Somehow, I am not surprised that he went over the line. The last few times I watched him, I thought he was out there a bit. He definately had an agenda about immigrants. He seemed to be obsessed about them, and you could read very easily into his words, that a crackdown on illegals was not to his liking. He was an open border advocate as far as I am concerned. I watched him go on about how he almost blew his career before in Miami, how lucky he was to get a second chance. You can only draw the lightening so many times.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

NIKV69

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:33 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
Not sure about that with all the hit pieces Sanchez has done on Beck, O'Reilly and other FOX personalities on his now-former CNN show.

Yes but hey O'Reilly screamed right in Geraldo's face and they probably had a beer after. I kind of like Sanchez and would watch him on FOX.

Sanchez obviously has issues with Jews that have power and when you make an issue of who the bosses are and claim they are not a minority, then you're not going to last long in media - period.

Actually you mean Jews with power that don't like minorites don't you?

On the other hand, having just listened to all of his comments on YouTube, I don't think his points were all that unfair.
They are linked here:

I did too and you may be right. I don't like Stewart, he seems this way. I get the idea Sanchez was on target.

Quoting 474218 (Reply 3):
However, CNN had no problem hiring him as fleeing the scene of a accident that resulted in the death of someone is a resume (CV) enhancer for liberals

Teddy boy!

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):
In the Tri-State area? How is being Jewish a minority in New Jersey, where he grew up, where New York, where he works, or the entertainment business, which he is in?

WarRI1

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:38 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 6):
Yes but hey O'Reilly screamed right in Geraldo's face and they probably had a beer after. I kind of like Sanchez and would watch him on FOX.

I ask, why do you folks put so much faith in Theatre, all an obvious act to catch the naive watcher.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

iflykpdx

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:46 am

To me, he was by far the most self-absorbed ignoramus at that network, who seemed to be the closest example of a real life "Anchorman" on television. The man truly loves hearing himself talk, and CNN was his vehicle for self promotion. One could count on him to be completely clueless about the finer workings of whatever he was reporting on, constantly asking dumb questions that even the most mentally challenged viewers should've been able to figure out the answers to. In short, my opinion of the guy was about as low as it gets, though I do grant that he never seemed malicious about it, just incredibly pompous and naive. The fact he was fired for opening his big mouth before thinking is completely unsurprising to me.
Airport Management - UND

N1120A

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:31 am

I don't see it. Doesn't fit their right-wing extremist with "liberal" window dressing mold.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 5):
He definately had an agenda about immigrants. He seemed to be obsessed about them

Well, he is one. He understands it a bit more than many who spout off.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AKviator

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:36 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):

How so?

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 6):
They are linked here:

I did too and you may be right. I don't like Stewart, he seems this way. I get the idea Sanchez was on target.

Could you please point out your logic to me. Condemning the Daily Show as bigoted and elitist is ridiculous. For christs sake, he's a comedian!! He makes fun of everyone and anyone because that's what comedians do!

Mir

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:03 am

Yeah, he sounds like the sort of whiny self-obsessed airhead Fox loves to put on the air.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):
Sanchez said that Stewart is bigoted toward "everybody else that's not like him."

Which he is.

BS. Or are you suggesting it's bigoted to call out someone in the media when they're just not very good at their job? Because that's all Stewart does with Sanchez. He satirizes people for what they do, not who they are. And there's nothing wrong with that. This whole "he can't understand the family I come from" is missing the point - he doesn't care what family you come from, he can't understand why you're confusing the Galapagos Islands with Hawaii on a map.

Quoting iflykpdx (Reply 8):
One could count on him to be completely clueless about the finer workings of whatever he was reporting on, constantly asking dumb questions that even the most mentally challenged viewers should've been able to figure out the answers to.

All of which have nothing to do with whatever his background is. Unless, of course, you're of the mindset that immigrants from poor families are innately bad at certain jobs.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ltbewr

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:04 am

Rick Sanchez went over a line that is very clear - you never make an anti-Semitic statement. Such statements are so loaded with hate and ignorance, so offensive that they will drive away advertisers, you have to be fired promptly. Some here and elsewhere have noted that there was a growing problem in his relationship with CNN from his and the network's prospectives. One has to wonder if he intentionally did this to get fired, if he had a mental health issue that finally came out, or if he finally expressed long repressed opinions.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:31 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
This whole "he can't understand the family I come from" is missing the point - he doesn't care what family you come from, he can't understand why you're confusing the Galapagos Islands with Hawaii on a map.

Exactly   

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 5):
I don't like Stewart, he seems this way. I get the idea Sanchez was on target.

Um, I wasn't talking about Stewart I was just referring to the fact that he isn't an obvious Jew-hater from his comments. Stewart doesn't seem like anything except a sharp-as-a-tack highly successful satirist. You don't have to agree with what he says to see why he's so good at what he does - he practically invented a format.

NIKV69

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:47 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 13):
highly successful

Comedy central? He is not that highly anything many people don't even know who he is.

[Edited 2010-10-01 21:08:24]

comorin

Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:00 am

Hallelujah! First Lou Dobbs and now Rick Sanchez. It's safe to watch CNN again.

Mir

Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:08 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 14):
Comedy central? He is that highly anything many people don't even know who he is.

Not quite sure what you mean by that second thing, but let's consider:

The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are the highest watched late night talk shows among adults 18-34 (a coveted demographic). The Daily Show has won multiple Emmys. Jon Stewart took what was an average show and turned it into a big-time show for Comedy Central - arguably the network's best-known show (the other candidate being South Park), and a show that attracts some big-time guests (and some interviews that are better than anything you'd get on cable news). And he's got two books out.

If that's not successful to you, you're setting yourself up for a whole lot of disappointment in life.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

bohica

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:49 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 15):
Hallelujah! First Lou Dobbs and now Rick Sanchez. It's safe to watch CNN again.

Also Campbell Brown left CNN recently and Larry King is about to retire. Also Christianne Ammanpour left CNN for ABC. CNN has lost quite a few people lately. I think Wolf Blitzer is the only one left.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:51 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
he can't understand why you're confusing the Galapagos Islands with Hawaii on a map.

His coverage of the Chilean earthquake was HORRIBLE. That was the first time I had seen Rick Sanchez and I immediately thought he was looney.

I say good on Stewart for calling him out.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

CaliAtenza

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:32 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 14):

Comedy central? He is not that highly anything many people don't even know who he is.

u gotta admit that John Stewart is hillarious  ..come on man, where is your sense of humor???

DocLightning

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:24 am

OK, I'm Jewish (nominally, anyway) and I agree with him.

We're only the most accomplished ethnicity here and the wealthiest religion in the country. By a lot. I cannot imagine a situation in which being Jewish would in any way harm my job prospects for any job I could imagine. Even street sweeper.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

STT757

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Sanchez had his own "Worst Person in the World" everynight, he called it "the list you don't want to be on". Bill O', Beck etc were always on that list.

He's not going to Fox or MSNBC, he's probably heading for a Spanish Language network where he can say crazy things (in Spanish) and nobody would notice.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Quokka

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 21):
He's not going to Fox or MSNBC, he's probably heading for a Spanish Language network where he can say crazy things (in Spanish) and nobody would notice.

Are you saying that all Spanish speakers are crazy? I mean, they'd have to be if they don't notice that the man is saying crazy things, right? Or are you saying that 35 million US residents who use Spanish as their first language are "nobody".
Maybe in Maine, Spanish speakers are only 1.1% of the population, but in New Mexico they are about 43% and in Califirnia about 34%.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
Even street sweeper.

Sorry Doc, you're over-qualified. Who wants a street sweeper who is either a doctor or a lawyer? 

STT757

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 22):
Are you saying that all Spanish speakers are crazy? I mean, they'd have to be if they don't notice that the man is saying crazy things, right? Or are you saying that 35 million US residents who use Spanish as their first language are "nobody".

The "gotcha" media doesn't watch Spanish language tv, they tend to push the envelope on Spanish tv in the US more so than the networks. Just check out a Spanish language gameshow, makes the Price is Right Girls look like Mormons.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

MaverickM11

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 3):

Or a Puerto Rican in the Bronx  Everybody is a minority at this point. Everyone doesn't know what it was like growing up in such and such in so and so and is probably offended.

Quoting iflykpdx (Reply 7):
To me, he was by far the most self-absorbed ignoramus at that network,

He was god-awful since I used to see him on South Florida local news...good riddance

Quoting comorin (Reply 15):
First Lou Dobbs and now Rick Sanchez. It's safe to watch CNN again.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 21):
Sanchez had his own "Worst Person in the World" everynight, he called it "the list you don't want to be on". Bill O', Beck etc were always on that list.

I think it's fair to say that anyone who has that kind of segment is crap.
E pur si muove -Galileo

ArmitageShanks

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 4):
. I watched him go on about how he almost blew his career before in Miami, how lucky he was to get a second chance. You can only draw the lightening so many times.

Yeah, if I ran over and killed a man while drunk driving, which he did, I doubt I'd get off scott free, like he did.

stlgph

Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:50 pm

I suspect that Sanchez was really interested in Abbie Boudreau and after James O'Keefe's stunt failed, I wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez will go to work for Project Veritas ... or had already entertained the idea.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

NIKV69

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:06 pm

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 19):
u gotta admit that John Stewart is hillarious ..come on man, where is your sense of humor???

I will go watch Larry David he is a bit better at comedy than Stewart. Bank accounts don't lie

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 27):

I will go watch Larry David he is a bit better at comedy than Stewart. Bank accounts don't lie

Larry David's schtick (Yiddish for the unintroduced) is not political satire though - different market. In any case, the bank account argument is crap as Britney Spears still makes more in residuals than any number of guitarists who are masters of their trade and haven't made 1/10th of her career earnings.

NIKV69

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:32 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 28):
Larry David's schtick (Yiddish for the unintroduced) is not political satire though - different market. In any case, the bank account argument is crap as Britney Spears still makes more in residuals than any number of guitarists who are masters of their trade and haven't made 1/10th of her career earnings.

So once again we are not basing the success of a comedy show on how many people watch? Again it seems you only want this when it suits your argument. Fact remains when it comes to making people laugh Larry David is much better than John Stewart.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 29):
So once again we are not basing the success of a comedy show on how many people watch?

I don't base anything on meaningless figures like that. Plenty of great TV shows still endlessly syndicated now died because their network management were idiots and had them in the wrong time slot. My measure of Stewart's success is that his name is invariably dropped with respect to public figures on a weekly basis and you can find people who know what the 'The Daily Show' is around the globe. Not to mention that the few times he has gone on O'Reilly the host has kissed his ass.

aloges

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:11 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 30):
you can find people who know what the 'The Daily Show' is around the globe.

Who is Larry David?

Bank accounts don't lie

I guess that's why Mozart died a rich man.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

NIKV69

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 30):
I don't base anything on meaningless figures like that

Yes because if you did you have to admit your wrong. In TV that is how score is kept. How many people watch how many people call to get ad space.

aloges

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 32):
Yes because if you did you have to admit your wrong.

Will you admit that you're wrong about "bank accounts don't lie"?

Anyway, the point was that Larry David is a stand-up comedian (apparently, I just looked him up) while Jon Stewart's show is parody news. You're comparing apples to oranges.

[Edited 2010-10-02 11:39:48]

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 33):

Anyway, the point was that Larry David is a stand-up comedian (apparently, I just looked him up)

Well not quite - he was also largely the genius behind Seinfeld, which is by some measures the most successful comedic sitcom in US TV history.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 32):
Yes because if you did you have to admit your wrong. In TV that is how score is kept. How many people watch how many people call to get ad space.

Not wrong about anything - as usual you're limiting your thinking to what happens within the US. Jon Stewart is a huge success because he and his show are known around the globe. The fickle world of US TV viewership is not an adequate means of measurement. You didn't respond to the comment about time slots either - and I'm right about that too.

PPVRA

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Good riddance. Maybe he will be replace by Jack Cafferty.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

DocLightning

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 22):

Sorry Doc, you're over-qualified. Who wants a street sweeper who is either a doctor or a lawyer?

Having two graduate degrees probably disqualifies me from sweeping streets but I can't imagine anyone refusing to hire me just because I'm Jewish.

We're a minority, yes. And there is anti-Semitic sentiment around. But that sentiment is generally fringe and rejected by the mainstream. Hasn't really been fashionable since 1945 or so, for some reason. I think the minority issues we deal with are attempts by certain segments of population to legislate Christianity.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

OA412
Crew

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:02 pm

What a moron. I understand that some people reach their breaking point, but, as has been pointed out, John Stewart's show is based upon satirizing the news, yet others have been able to criticize him without going off on a racist tangent.

So once again we are not basing the success of a comedy show on how many people watch? Again it seems you only want this when it suits your argument. Fact remains when it comes to making people laugh Larry David is much better than John Stewart.

Instead of going around in circles and changing your criteria then attacking others for doing so, why not just admit that you don't like John Stewart and that you don't consider him a succesful comedian simply because you disagree with his politics?

Quoting aloges (Reply 31):
I guess that's why Mozart died a rich man.

Or the myriad other artists, writers, composers who are revered as masters of their craft, yet died penniless.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 3):

Proof please.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

CaliAtenza

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:11 pm

the guy behind Seinfeld and Curb your Enthusiasm. Yeah, Seinfeld was funny and still is funny, no doubt..but political satire cant be beat  .

aloges

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 38):
political satire cant be beat

You haven't heard of Russell Peters, have you? 

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 37):
John Stewart's show is based upon satirizing the news, yet others have been able to criticize him without going off on a racist tangent.

If you watch the YouTube clip though, it's not readily apparent in context that Sanchez was being inherently racist. Still, having escaped with a DUI w/vehicular manslaughter charge, no respect for the guy.

NIKV69

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 37):
Instead of going around in circles and changing your criteria then attacking others for doing so, why not just admit that you don't like John Stewart and that you don't consider him a succesful comedian simply because you disagree with his politics?

We aren't going around in circles. The criteria isn't getting changed excpet by you guys who want to love this guy because he hates the GOP. I don't find him funny at all but then again. I find Larry David hysterical and you do realize Larry doesn't like my politics right? Has nothing to do with that once again your just trying to polarize the argument by saying if you don't like someone for one thing it has to be another.

racko

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:04 pm

I just looked up what he's so upset about and it seems to be pieces like this one: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-march-1-2010/the-uninformant-

"9 meters in English is?"  

ImperialEagle

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
the wealthiest religion in the country

I think that honor goes to the Mormons.

when it comes to making people laugh Larry David is much better than John Stewart.

Yes, the success of Seinfeld is a testimony to that!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

aloges

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 41):
The criteria isn't getting changed excpet by you guys

Corking. So at first it was "bank accounts don't lie", then it was the size of the audience and by now you're at "I don't find him funny at all", all of which is supposed to prove that somebody is "better" at comedy than someone else while completely ignoring the fact that there are many different genres of comedy. So please, which is your next criterion for the quality of a comedian?   

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 41):
you guys who want to love this guy because he hates the GOP.

Jon Stewart makes as much fun of Rod Blagojevich and Charlie Rangel as he makes of Republicans - and, crucially, of himself. His favourite target is currently the Fox News commentator nuthouse, with the MSNBC posse a distant second - surely you don't equate those media outlets with the Republican and Democratic parties, respectively? Before you make generalisations like the above, you might want to take a look at what the comedian in question actually does.

[Edited 2010-10-02 15:33:47]

AKviator

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 40):
The criteria isn't getting changed excpet by you guys who want to love this guy because he hates the GOP.

He doesn't hate the GOP, its just the GOP provides him with more material to work with. You should go to the dailyshow.com sometime and watch a few episodes. He makes fun of Obama quite a bit, if not more than anyone else.

OA412
Crew

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 pm

The criteria isn't getting changed excpet by you guys

Uh huh. I don't believe it was us who went from bank accounts to size of audience to wherever else.

who want to love this guy because he hates the GOP.

He also makes fun of the DNC because, let's face it, there are boobs in all parties. Regardless, by your criteria I must be someone who also enjoys watching those who hate Democrats/liberals/left-wingers since I used to watch Dennis Miller Live even though I disagree with his politics, and I actually found him to be funny sometimes.

I don't find him funny at all but then again.

That's perfectly fine and you have every right not to find him funny, but that still doesn't prove that he is not funny or that he is somehow unsuccesful at what he does.

I find Larry David hysterical and you do realize Larry doesn't like my politics right?

Right, but I also know that Larry David doesn't do political satire and Jon Stewart does so I'm not entirely convinced that your dislike of Jon Stewart isn't a result of political differences rather than any objective measure of his talent as a comedian.

DocLightning

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:59 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 42):

I think that honor goes to the Mormons.

In terms of centralized church wealth, I'd imagine that's true (probably second to the RCC, actually). In terms of personal wealth, it's Jews, with 46% of us making >$100k/y. Hindus are second with 42% >$100k. No other religion comes close. Orthodox is a distant third at 28%. On the other end only 8% of Christian (historically Black) adherents in that category (and no doubt many of those 8% are the preachers). Jehova's witnesses fare only marginally better at 9%.

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/s...ealth_distribution_by_religion.jpg

Really interesting graph.

Why, may you ask? I think that genetics figure partially into it. A few thousand years of religious persecution probably selected for Jews who can live by their wits. But there's also a huge cultural component in that most Jewish parents rank education as the most important value after food, shelter, clothes, and healthcare. My parents didn't buy me a lot of toys and they didn't spend a lot on luxuries for themselves, but when it came to my education absolutely no expense was spared. I begged and pleaded for a Nintendo and didn't get it, but all I had to do was say: "I need a new dictionary" or "I need a laptop for college" and it was mine. That value system means that the vast majority of American Jews (and by "vast majority" I'd venture >95%) go to college. It wasn't even a question in my family. You go to middle school after elementary school, high school after middle school, and college after high school. It never occurred to me that not going to college was even an option.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Pyrex

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:05 am

Quoting AKviator (Reply 9):
How so?

Like most other limousine liberals, he is intolerant of and condescending to anyone that does not think like him.

Quoting AKviator (Reply 9):
For christs sake, he's a comedian!! He makes fun of everyone and anyone because that's what comedians do!

That's the thing, he doesn't. I had a lot of respect for the guy when George W. Bush was in office because he was doing his part, that of the court jester - the one that can use comedy to talk about issues others won't and make fun of those in power without suffering the consequences. He did have a role in making media more accountable for a lot of things. However, he showed his hypocrisy once Obama got elected. No longer the role of the court jester was to make fun of the king but to try to destroy those who opposed the king - in essence emulating the behaviors he rightfully criticized so much. To this day he still tries to blame most of the problems of the country on Republicans that are not in power including some that never were (and hopefully never will - you know who I am talking about, Mrs. Palin). Jon Stewart is nothing more than a biased hypocrite (a funny one, I give you that, but nonetheless a hypocrite).
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

aloges

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:16 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 47):
Like most other limousine liberals, he is intolerant of and condescending to anyone that does not think like him.

I don't watch too many of the onterviews he does on the show, but he was neither intolerant nor condescending towards McCain and O'Reilly, unless of course you consider disagreement to be intolerance and comedy to be condescension.

OA412
Crew

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:25 am

To this day he still tries to blame most of the problems of the country on Republicans that are not in power including some that never were

Sort of like Republicans spent the eight years of George W Bush's presidency blaming Clinton for everything that was wrong with the country?   

I could use those exact words to describe most Tea Partiers and a whole host of others on the right.

[Edited 2010-10-02 17:31:09]