fr8mech
Topic Author

To Catch A Thief?

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:22 am

I'm not sure what to think about this. Actually, I do know what to think about this.

I'm all for crime fighting and community involvement in eliminating crime, but this is a little over the top, don't you think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101005/od_nm/us_britain_surveillance_odd
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Airstud

RE: To Catch A Thief?

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 am

If the CCTV is monitoring public places, like shops, banks, and train stations, then the "privacy" hawks need to shut their yaps. For you see, public places are (everyone sitting down?) public.

The thing that worries me most about this is that it incentivizes people to sit on their butts watching a screen for a zillion hours. I'd like to see less of that sort of behavior in today's world.
Pancakes are delicious.

Quokka

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:42 am

Very interesting to think that individuals will pay up to watch hours of largely boring CCTV footage on the off chance that they actually spot somebody pilfering a tin of baked beans or an imitation mink scarf. Presumably the shopkeepers have to pay as well and the man in the middle earns money with very little outlay and no wages. I suppose the "watchers" feel they're doing something for the community, while there is always the chance they might win something.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:46 am

While I agree that there is no expectation of privacy in a public place, I find it disturbing that the general public will now be acting as a psuedo-police force, and a reward to boot. I can see all kinds of abuse from this. A whole lot of false alarms and police resources moving to these false alarms and away from possible real situations. I'm not liking this.

Braybuddy

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:46 am

Interesting idea! Can't say I see anything wrong with it. If you were actually in the shop and saw someone shoplifting would you think it wrong to tell security? I'm sure people some people objected to CCTV when it was first introduced. This just improves monitoring, that's all.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:15 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 4):
If you were actually in the shop and saw someone shoplifting would you think it wrong to tell security?

Not quite the same situation. In the, any observation would be incidental to my shopping. In this case, these folks, who have no training, yet have a cash incentive, will be looking for every little thing. Not quite Big Brother, more like little sister.

aerorobnz

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:25 am

Not worth it. Civilisation survived like 5000 years without this bullshit - why does it need it now.....thieving etc has been going on since humans became human - it's not a new thing, and it's never going to go away even with these cameras.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Braybuddy

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):
Not quite the same situation. In the, any observation would be incidental to my shopping. In this case, these folks, who have no training, yet have a cash incentive, will be looking for every little thing. Not quite Big Brother, more like little sister.

Another way of looking at this: security staff can't watch everyone, and they have their off moments too. Someone who is incentivsed will pay more attention, increasing the chances of the culprit being caught.

"Participants, who pay a fee to subscribe, press an "alert" button which relays an instant text message notifying a shop keeper of suspicious behavior. The SMS is followed up with a photographic image of the potential crime."

The person who notices the suspicious behaviour is merely passing the information on to the shopkeeper, who, I presume, will leave it his professionals. I'd say it wouldn't take long to weed-out people overreacting or causing false alarms.