76794p
Topic Author

I Caught Someone Cheating On A Test

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 pm

I caught someone cheating on a test and turned them in. now the kid said on facebook that if he ever saw me out of school, he would beat the f#*@ out of me. I think that would be a bad idea given i out weigh him by 3 times.. what on earth shall i do about it. My principle that i did what was right because my schools honor code is " i will not lie,cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do."
There's always money IN the banana stand.

iairallie

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:18 pm

How did the kid know it was you?
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

BMI727

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Quoting 76794p (Thread starter):
I caught someone cheating on a test and turned them in. now the kid said on facebook that if he ever saw me out of school, he would beat the f#*@ out of me

Have the police come for a little meeting in the principal's office.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

ajd1992

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Honestly - if he's threatening you because he's too stupid to pass a test - then it shows he's the dumbass, not you. I'd ignore him, the majority of people like that talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

NIKV69

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:22 pm

I caught someone cheating on a test and turned them in

Didn't get the memo huh? Though it may seem noble at the time best not to do things like this. He is only cheating himself and will spare you much agro. At this point find some friend who is big and have him talk to him and tell him that if he touches you he will be pushing up daisies somewhere.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ManuCH
Crew

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 pm

Remember - "Live and let live". Turning someone in for cheating on a test is probably not the smartest thing to do, especially if his cheating didn't influence you negatively somehow (ie. if his cheating didn't reduce your grade). After all, it's his problem.

Now, considering that it's done already, I would consider going to the principal's office and explain the situation.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

BMI727

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
Though it may seem noble at the time best not to do things like this. He is only cheating himself and will spare you much agro. At this point find some friend who is big and have him talk to him and tell him that if he touches you he will be pushing up daisies somewhere.

Yeah, it probably would have been best to leave this one alone, but he's already in so now it's just a matter of damage control.

fr8mech

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Good. more people should stand up for what is right.

There will be many around you and on this board (some will even be adults), that will say you should have minded your own business. I say, that you did mnind your own business. It is up to every one of us to uphold societies rules. When we knowingly allow those rules to be violated or turn the eye, society moves a step closer to anarchy.

By the way, why should the bastard get a leg up by cheating.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Luftfahrer

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:35 pm

honor code

Yes, reporting a classmate for cheating on his own class test (sic!) seems very honorable to me.   
What do you expect? That he wants to be your best friend now?

Anyway, don't take everything seriously that people say on the internet.
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

san747

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 7):
There will be many around you and on this board (some will even be adults), that will say you should have minded your own business. I say, that you did mnind your own business. It is up to every one of us to uphold societies rules. When we knowingly allow those rules to be violated or turn the eye, society moves a step closer to anarchy.

We may not agree on everything, especially politics, but I definitely agree with you here. The OP did the right thing here, and as for the threat by the cheater, did everyone apparently miss this?

I think that would be a bad idea given i out weigh him by 3 times..
Scotty doesn't know...

GrahamHill

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 5):
Turning someone in for cheating on a test is probably not the smartest thing to do, especially if his cheating didn't influence you negatively somehow (ie. if his cheating didn't reduce your grade). After all, it's his problem.

I totally agree with this comment. During my school years, I saw some students cheating but I could not bother one bit. What they did was wrong, but what they did was not my problem. And anyway, I knew they would pay it sooner or later. You seriously don't help yourself by cheating.

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 5):
Now, considering that it's done already, I would consider going to the principal's office and explain the situation.

Again, I agree.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

aloges

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 pm

You did the right thing. Cheating is for computer games, not for exams.

It devalues other people's honest efforts, it can easily make subsequent exams harder for everyone and it keeps precisely those people from coping with failure who have never learned how to do that. Come to think of it, it's probably guaranteed that an ***hole boss who always takes his own failures out on his subordinates was an exam cheater.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

BMI727

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 11):
You did the right thing.

But that won't keep anyone from kicking your ass.

You're not looking the other way while the Nazis run a death camp outside your town. You're not watching unsafe products roll off your employers production line. It's a test at school. Nobody's going to get hurt except for the guy that cheated. Pick you battles better next time.

[Edited 2010-10-09 16:55:55]

NIKV69

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:53 pm

Don't we have all these great teachers to do that?

Quoting san747 (Reply 9):
We may not agree on everything, especially politics, but I definitely agree with you here. The OP did the right thing here, and as for the threat by the cheater, did everyone apparently miss this?

Society's rules? Come on. No we didn't but since the school missed him cheating maybe they will be a little more proactive on this one.

aloges

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:57 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 12):
Quoting aloges (Reply 11):
You did the right thing.

But that won't keep anyone from kicking your ass.

(...) Pick you battles better next time.

What a nice lesson this is. He reported someone doing wrong, which is what the school (for cheating) and also the law (for crimes) requires him to do. Now that someone is threatening violence and people are telling 76794p that he shouldn't have done it and shouldn't do it again, hence violence wins and the cheater gets his way.

I don't really like any of these "why society is going down the toilet" statements, but this is a pretty good explanation.

Yellowstone

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:06 am

It's a test at school. Nobody's going to get hurt except for the guy that cheated.

If the kid cheated on this test, he's probably cheated on other assignments before. Which means that his grades are higher than they should be, due to his dishonesty. Which means that he might get into a decent college/job/internship/etc. instead of someone who is more skilled or knowledgable but has lower grades, due to not cheating. That's how cheating hurts others.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

BMI727

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:17 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 15):
Which means that he might get into a decent college/job/internship/etc. instead of someone who is more skilled or knowledgable but has lower grades, due to not cheating.

That is a scenario so convoluted as to be unrealistic. In my experience, students who cheat aren't going anywhere anyway.

But, if we must continue to play "what if," this kid cheats in high school to get into college, cheats in college to get to med school, and cheats through med school and kills a patient. I guess the OP saved a life then, so he's best off to get his whoopin' and soothe the pain with ice and the warm fuzzy feeling from doing the right thing.

Quoting aloges (Reply 14):
What a nice lesson this is.

Here's the lesson: Take care of yourself. Do your things right and don't worry about everyone else unless it's causing you a problem. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut and take care of business. Do that and everything else will take care of itself.

The OP in this case took something that wasn't a problem for him and made it a problem for him. All so that he might have kept this cheater from cheating his way into college, in a spot that could have gone to an honest student, who might have been able to cure cancer had they gotten that spot...

LTU932

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:19 am

I caught someone cheating on a test and turned them in.

If I was you, I would have been more discreet about it. It could have spared you some trouble. That being said, if the guy is telling you that he would kick the shit out of you because you reported the cheating, then this says lots about his character (or lack thereof).

What a nice lesson this is. He reported someone doing wrong, which is what the school (for cheating) and also the law (for crimes) requires him to do.

Since when is it a crime to get caught cheating on a test? I'm not condoning cheating, but I have not heard of any criminal law (at least in Germany) that considers simple cheating (e.g. having a Spickzettel (I don't know how to translate that), hiding an open textbook, or looking over somebody else's shoulder) a misdemeanour. Now, if it's organised mass cheating, where a group of students would try to steal the results (like what happened some time ago in Hamburg), that is criminal.

aloges

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:22 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 17):
Since when is it a crime to get caught cheating on a test?

That's why I made the distinction: the school requires him to report cheating, the law requires him to report crimes. The two are not the same.

NIKV69

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:28 am

hence violence wins and the cheater gets his way

What has gotten away with?

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 17):
I would have been more discreet about it.

In this country you have the right to know your accuser.

Yellowstone

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:31 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 16):
The OP in this case took something that wasn't a problem for him and made it a problem for him.

Grades, degrees or diplomas are worth something only if the public trusts that they accurately represent the level of effort that went into earning them. Cheating destroys that trust.

Another way to look at it - I'm currently doing graduate school at an institution with an honor code. I am given a large degree of leeway and freedom in my academic work. For instance, all exams are unproctored, and most are take-home - if I like, I can do my final exam while lounging on the beach drinking a beer. But I only have that freedom because there is an effective, self-policed system in place to catch the few people who break the honor code.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

BMI727

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:43 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 20):
Grades, degrees or diplomas are worth something only if the public trusts that they accurately represent the level of effort that went into earning them. Cheating destroys that trust.

For a high school diploma? The chances that one guy cheating on that test will have any real consequences for anyone other than himself are minuscule.

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 20):
But I only have that freedom because there is an effective, self-policed system in place to catch the few people who break the honor code.

And high school students do not get that freedom for a reason.

aloges

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:07 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 19):
What has gotten away with?

Just RTFP:

people are telling 76794p that he shouldn't have done it and shouldn't do it again, hence violence wins and the cheater gets his way.

Add "the next time" if it helps... add it at the end after "his way".   

cpd

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:31 am

now the kid said on facebook that if he ever saw me out of school, he would beat the f#*@ out of me.

Hi,

We have some great advice on our site regarding Cyberbullying:

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/news/technology/cybersafety/index.php

Take the time to read it. Although we aim this at school kids here in my country, it's useful advice for everyone.

It's important that you don't try to retaliate online, that makes it worse. In particular, the following article is good:

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/news/t...y/yr2009/survivingcyberbullies.php

[Edited 2010-10-09 18:34:43]

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:39 am

I caught someone cheating on a test and turned them in. now the kid said on facebook that if he ever saw me out of school, he would beat the f#*@ out of me. I think that would be a bad idea given i out weigh him by 3 times.. what on earth shall i do about it. My principle that i did what was right because my schools honor code is " i will not lie,cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do."

My be you should think about cheating off someone that is good at "puncation and capelization"?

NIKV69

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:50 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 22):
Just RTFP:

I did. He has no honor and obviously could care less about the schools code so now what has he accomplished except making himself a target?

[Edited 2010-10-09 19:14:08]

Aaron747

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:02 am

You're not looking the other way while the Nazis run a death camp outside your town. You're not watching unsafe products roll off your employers production line. It's a test at school. Nobody's going to get hurt except for the guy that cheated. Pick you battles better next time.

Couldn't disagree more - especially if there's a curve. I'll be damned if someone is going to screw me or my friends who studied hard and that's precisely why I did the same thing no less than four times back when I was in HS. Yeah I caught a little heat for it but I always made sure I wasn't alone when I did.

Take care of yourself. Do your things right and don't worry about everyone else unless it's causing you a problem.

That's a nice attitude but it's unrealistic. Part of taking care of yourself is looking out for society's cohesion because once that starts to go we all lose our quality of life. These effects are being felt by our generation more than any other's. Looking out for number one has its place, but it doesn't have only one meaning either.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

aloges

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:10 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 25):
I did. He has no honor and obviously could care less about the schools code some now what has he accomplished except making himself a target?

Oh, whatever.

NIKV69

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:16 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 27):
Oh, whatever.

I asked a question. I mean these school codes are treating like they are living things when in fact they are no better than the kids attending. If this person wanted to do the right thing he could have taken this other kid to the side and called him out without bringing the school into it. Instead he has opened pandoras box.

falstaff

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:17 am

I am a high school teacher and I would have completely ignored your report that he was cheating on the exam... Why? I have seen MANY students snitch on a student for doing something and the other student did not do anything wrong. It was just an attempt to get somebody they didn't like into trouble, or draw attention away from yourself. Also I can't fail a student on a test, quiz, assignment, or anything else without my own knowledge that they cheated. I am not allowed to just take a student's word for it. I have caught plenty of students cheating over the years and I have dealt with it, but I have caught them. In this day and age, you better have some hard evidence to back it up, or else you may be dealing with a angry parent's lawyer.

I caught someone cheating on a test and turned them in. now the kid said on facebook that if he ever saw me out of school, he would beat the f#*@ out of me

Maybe you should have thought about that before you turned the guy in for cheating. How did you know he was cheating? You probably pissed off the teacher too, because we generally don't like it when some smart ass kid tells us how to do our jobs.

My principle that i did what was right because my schools honor code is " i will not lie,cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do."

Huh? I hope that school taught you how to write a better than that.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
Have the police come for a little meeting in the principal's office.

That will just make things worse... It will make it look like you can't take care of your own problems.

All so that he might have kept this cheater from cheating his way into college, in a spot that could have gone to an honest student, who might have been able to cure cancer had they gotten that spot...

What kind of a cheating was this? If the cancer curing guy was such a smart guy he should have no problem getting into college regardless of what some other guy did. It isn't like because some guy cheated another will now have a life of poverty and never get to go to college. I have two University degrees and am working on a third and getting into college doesn't work like you described. There isn't some sort of test and only so many of the people who took the test get into college and the rest don't. There are thousands of great schools in the USA and thousands more around the globe. If you don't get into one school you will get into another. If you are a standout and destined to do great things you will do them, regardless of where you go to school.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

aloges

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:21 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 28):
I asked a question.

Did you? I thought it was a riddle. To solve it, I shall ask the following:

Who has no honour, the pupil who reported or the pupil who cheated?

Quoting falstaff (Reply 29):
I hope that school taught you how to write a better than that.

No offence, but the irony is delicious.  Wink

[Edited 2010-10-09 19:23:20]

76794p
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:25 am

HIs best friend says she is praying for me and that is he does not come back on tuesday then i am screwed. There convinced he is going to get expelled for it since he is on a scholarship. When the girl FB messaged me i quoted George Orwell the quote i used "In a time of universal deceit-telling the truth is a revolutionary act" I think in this situation it means that ratting him out was not the popular thing to do,but the right thing to do. Are there anyways i could make it up to him. My parent think that he is going to plant cigarettes, drugs or a knife on me and turn me in, is that even legal to do.

cpd

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:25 am

That will just make things worse... It will make it look like you can't take care of your own problems.

Perhaps you would like to clarify that comment, and make it very clear what you are suggesting the person should do? For the benefit of the public record of course.

I would have thought you'd be a little bit more careful with your comments given your position. I understand what you are saying, but it can be taken the wrong way too.

[Edited 2010-10-09 19:26:30]

Edited: Due to unfamiliar curved keyboard - spelling mistakes galore.

[Edited 2010-10-09 19:34:11]

aloges

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:31 am

Quoting 76794p (Reply 31):
Are there anyways i could make it up to him.

Probably not. He wants to "get even", not make amends.

My parent think that he is going to plant cigarettes, drugs or a knife on me and turn me in, is that even legal to do.

Of course it wouldn't be legal, but the whole point of it would be to incriminate you and put the burden of proof (that you didn't do anything wrong) on you. Talk to the headmaster as soon as you can.

76794p
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:32 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 33):
Talk to the headmaster as soon as you can.

I plan on talking to her on tuesday.

aloges

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:34 am

Quoting 76794p (Reply 34):
I plan on talking to her on tuesday.

OK, "headmistress" in that case.   

NIKV69

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:39 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 30):
the pupil who reported or the pupil who cheated?

Seems you should read my post I cleraly said the cheater.

There convinced he is going to get expelled for it since he is on a scholarship.

That will make things so much better

UH60FtRucker

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:58 am

From the looks of it, you need to be paying more attention in class (specially spelling/grammar class), than worrying about what other kids are doing. Seriously, that paragraph was incomprehensible at some points.   

HIs best friend says she is praying for me and that is he does not come back on tuesday then i am screwed. There convinced he is going to get expelled for it since he is on a scholarship. When the girl FB messaged me i quoted George Orwell the quote i used "In a time of universal deceit-telling the truth is a revolutionary act" I think in this situation it means that ratting him out was not the popular thing to do,but the right thing to do. Are there anyways i could make it up to him. My parent think that he is going to plant cigarettes, drugs or a knife on me and turn me in, is that even legal to do.

Hey here's a hint. Spell check isn't considered cheating!

[Edited 2010-10-09 20:00:58]
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

aloges

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 36):
Seems you should read my post I cleraly said the cheater.

Hmm...

He has no honor and obviously could care less about the schools code

"He could care less about the school code", that means the person you're referring to cares about the code, which our original poster apparently does since he kept to it by reporting the cheater. If he "had honour", he could have cared a little less and let this one slide.

so now what has he accomplished except making himself a target?

He, 76794p, has made himself a target for the bullying cheater's aggression.

Sir, that post makes it quite clear that you think 76794p has "no honour".

[Edited 2010-10-09 20:22:08]

Mudboy

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:27 am

You made a decision to turn this guy in, so stand by it and don't back down! We live and die by our decisions in life, and must learn to accept the consequences that come with taking that extra step.
You felt you were doing the right thing when you turned him in, so don't second guess yourself. If the guy wants to lay his hands on you, do what you gotta do. I sure would not back down from this guy, and I personally would contact him and confront him about it. It sounds like he is just blowing smoke, but be prepared if he is not.
When this is all over, you live and you learn, or your are destined to repeat. I do not in any way advocate fighting, but if he comes looking for one, do what you have to do.
In hindsight, if his cheating bothered me that much, I would have confronted him, before I went to the Teacher, and depending how he acted about it, would determine my next move? It is great to have morals and honor, and if you feel you did the right thing, good for you!
Stay Safe!

BMI727

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:05 am

It isn't what I'd do either, but if it really is that big of a concern for him and his parents.

If you don't get into one school you will get into another. If you are a standout and destined to do great things you will do them, regardless of where you go to school.

Which is exactly my point. There isn't really anything to gain from reporting the cheater. He should take care of his own business.

i quoted George Orwell the quote i used "In a time of universal deceit-telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

From that I'm guessing you aren't going to be able to do much to defend yourself physically. That probably wasn't the best move.

Quoting cpd (Reply 32):
Perhaps you would like to clarify that comment, and make it very clear what you are suggesting the person should do?

Because students ratting out other students just isn't done. In this case nobody was in danger. It wasn't like he heard a rumor that another student had a gun in his locker or something like that. It was a test, and the best option was to keep his mouth shut, but that is water under the bridge now.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 39):
I do not in any way advocate fighting, but if he comes looking for one, do what you have to do.

That might be what it comes down to.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:09 am

I know it could never happen with lawyers suing over just about anything but:

I suggest "mass punishment" like we had in basic training in the USAF. If one person did something wrong the entire flight was forced to endure the same punishment. You would be surprised how well we watched out for each other making sure we didn't get in trouble for someone else mistake.

In this case the entire class should have had additional homework and then be retested (with a new test). Then the next time a student thinks about cheating his fellow classmates will but a stop to it real quick.

TheCol

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:09 am

There are consequences for every decision in life. Some consequences are good, and some are bad. You made your bed and slept in it, now you have to analyze the situation and weigh your options. Successful individuals anticipate and adapt.

The naive "high road" BS doesn't really get anybody anywhere other than into serious trouble. It's time to take this seriously. The first step would be to stop drawing attention to yourself. In other words, don't air your issues out in public.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Longhornmaniac

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:12 am

i will not lie,cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do."

Sounds an awful lot like Texas A&M.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

san747

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:38 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 36):

There convinced he is going to get expelled for it since he is on a scholarship.

That will make things so much better

What do you want? The cheater is obviously going to get punished. So he's going to be pissed off about it, but its his own damn fault. The cheater is already making threats, so if he acts on them, its only going to be "so much better" for himself, not 76794p.

You felt you were doing the right thing when you turned him in, so don't second guess yourself. If the guy wants to lay his hands on you, do what you gotta do. I sure would not back down from this guy, and I personally would contact him and confront him about it. It sounds like he is just blowing smoke, but be prepared if he is not.

Definitely. You've made your decision, taken action on it, and done what you felt is right. Don't back down now, no matter how this turns out. For better or worse, these kinds of situations are learning experiences and say a lot about who you are.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 40):

Because students ratting out other students just isn't done.

We're not in first grade. This wasn't "tattling," this was reporting a serious infraction. What, is cheating apparently not a big deal in high school? I know at the high school I went to (a public non-religious charter school), you get caught cheating and you were in deep shit. If I do it in college now, I could be one and done.

As for "taking care of myself" and not worrying about others, it sounds nice, but the world doesn't work that way. Think of it from the other perspective- say you were the cheater. Believe me, if anyone could benefit in any way (psychologically, monetarily, to gain recognition, to feed their ego) from turning you in and getting you in trouble, they will.

Quoting 474218 (Reply 41):

I suggest "mass punishment" like we had in basic training in the USAF. If one person did something wrong the entire flight was forced to endure the same punishment. You would be surprised how well we watched out for each other making sure we didn't get in trouble for someone else mistake.

In this case the entire class should have had additional homework and then be retested (with a new test). Then the next time a student thinks about cheating his fellow classmates will but a stop to it real quick.

I'd agree with a system like that. The disincentive for cheating would be so strong that no one in their right mind would ever consider it, and therefore (and more importantly to most in this thread), no one would even have to tell on them!
Scotty doesn't know...

OA412
Crew

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:05 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 26):
Couldn't disagree more - especially if there's a curve. I'll be damned if someone is going to screw me or my friends who studied hard and that's precisely why I did the same thing no less than four times back when I was in HS.

While I've never turned anyone in for cheating, I fully agree with your overall sentiment that cheating is completely unfair to those of us who studied our butts off preparing for an exam. I spent many an "allnighter" in college preparing for exams, and the fact that others chose to cheat is patently unfair, especially if they affected my grade on a curve.

I am a high school teacher and I would have completely ignored your report that he was cheating on the exam... Why? I have seen MANY students snitch on a student for doing something and the other student did not do anything wrong. It was just an attempt to get somebody they didn't like into trouble, or draw attention away from yourself. Also I can't fail a student on a test, quiz, assignment, or anything else without my own knowledge that they cheated. I am not allowed to just take a student's word for it. I have caught plenty of students cheating over the years and I have dealt with it, but I have caught them. In this day and age, you better have some hard evidence to back it up, or else you may be dealing with a angry parent's lawyer.

That's an interesting perspective. So you wouldn't even bother to investigate it or to look at the students exam to see if you can detect any irregularities? I realize that kids (and adults for that matter) often tell on someone just to get back at them for something, but there are obviously those situations where the accuser is being completely honest.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 19):
In this country you have the right to know your accuser.

Not necessarily. I know of situations where the identity of your accuser is on a need to know basis.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

iairallie

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:12 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 44):
We're not in first grade. This wasn't "tattling," this was reporting a serious infraction. What, is cheating apparently not a big deal in high school? I know at the high school I went to (a public non-religious charter school), you get caught cheating and you were in deep shit. If I do it in college now, I could be one and done.

As for "taking care of myself" and not worrying about others, it sounds nice, but the world doesn't work that way. Think of it from the other perspective- say you were the cheater. Believe me, if anyone could benefit in any way (psychologically, monetarily, to gain recognition, to feed their ego) from turning you in and getting you in trouble, they will.

I'm in Law School now and my school (a Catholic Uni) takes it very very seriously. Better that the kid get caught now and learn from his mistake when the consequences are less serious than later on when he can be fired, imprisoned or sued for cheating. People who learn cheating is ok in school are more likely to cut ethical corners later on in life.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

BMI727

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:21 am

What, is cheating apparently not a big deal in high school?

Probably not.

Believe me, if anyone could benefit in any way (psychologically, monetarily, to gain recognition, to feed their ego) from turning you in and getting you in trouble, they will.

And in this case such incentive wasn't really there. So, there is no real reason to make an issue of it.

Mudboy

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:17 am

When a buddy of mine was in Med School, he said there was a student that was caught cheating early in the year, but nothing was said until the last day of the school year when the grades were posted, and when everyone got their grades, he was told he has been kicked out for cheating. OUCH!!!!

DocLightning

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:40 am

You report his facebook comment to the police and to the school administration.

Threats of violence against specific people are not taken lightly. Especially when in writing. This was very foolish.

You did the right thing and now you need to do the right thing yet again. Nobody ever said doing the right thing was easy.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan