bill142
Topic Author

F1 2010: Korea

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:41 am

So after all, it looks like the Korean GP will go ahead. It's getting down to the business end of the season with it looking more and more like a Red Bull Vs Alonso run to the championship. McLaren seem to be down on pace and have lost a bit of momentum needed to stay at the front and as an Australian, I'm hoping it's Webber who comes out in front of the fight at Red Bull.

MadameConcorde

RE: F1 2010: Korea

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:25 am

Thank you for opening the thread. Yes... another new racing track in a new place and there are more coming.

The newest that is being talked about is Sochi on the Black Sea in Russia. We are getting further and further away from the original tracks, Monza, Monaco, Spa, Silverstone and the old days of F1... to go where the new money is.

More night time F1 watching this coming weekend.

Hammy says: all hope not lost.
I wish him the very best. I would love to see him high up on the podium. He better get serious if he wants the title.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9090074.stm
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2010/10/11385.html

Bernie says he wants to carry on past age 80 and that is only one week away.

Wow!

Thiis one is for Kubica's fans
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9080455.stm

Pedro possibly back with HRT next season.............. Yes please!!!!!
http://en.espnf1.com/hrtf1/motorsport/story/31411.html

Two-day Grand Prix being discussed
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/31333.html

and another great race for Kamui!!!!!!!!!

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Stealthz

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):
to go where the new money is.

Sadly, With FOM(Bernie) being addicted to the $$ and the number of races reaching saturation point we are going to see events being dropped.
Expect one of the Spanish races(both would not be a huge loss as they would be soulless and empty ghost races without Alonso), perhaps Germany, maybe Australia... even the "classics" of Spa, Monaco, Monza and Silverstone should not feel too smug.
In the next few years we wll see a whole championship run at "Tilke"dromes with huge, lavish and empty grandstands.
I have no idea why these countries with no motosport background to speak of are so intent on spending hundreds of millions on events that are meaningless to their population and of little real global marketing impact.

Perhaps it is time for a new Formula "Libre" championship run on some of the classic tracks... Watkins Glen, Philip Island, are a couple that come to mind!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

sudden

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks for opening this one buddy.
We are off to totally new ground with no data stored. We know where the top teams will be, but I think we might see some fun stuff going on in the back of the mid field due to this.
Not sure if I actually look forward to this race as the new tracks are just as fun as watching paint dry. I hope I'm wrong and will get a pleasant surprise.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 2):
even the "classics" of Spa, Monaco, Monza and Silverstone should not feel too smug.

Spa will stay as it was brought back in to the calendar not long ago. Silverstone also to stay as it's undergoing major refurbishment, sort of. Also, these 2 tracks does not have emty stands like Turkey for example has.

Another weekend without being to sleep in. Life's hard for us F1 geeks.
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142
Topic Author

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:21 am

I have no idea why these countries with no motosport background to speak of are so intent on spending hundreds of millions on events that are meaningless to their population and of little real global marketing impact.

Tourism or Ego.

maybe Australia

Well if the Australian GP keeps loosing money the Victorian Government might beat Bernie to giving it the flick.

GrahamHill

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:57 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):
I wish him the very best. I would love to see him high up on the podium. He better get serious if he wants the title.

To be honest, I don't think he has any chances left.

In the next few years we wll see a whole championship run at "Tilke"dromes with huge, lavish and empty grandstands.

Perhaps it is time for a new Formula "Libre" championship run on some of the classic tracks... Watkins Glen, Philip Island, are a couple that come to mind!

That would be nice! Really really nice.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

MadameConcorde

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:04 am

I am all for Formula Libre (reminds me of CubaLibre by the way) and I like the name F1 geek. I thought of myself as a F1 night owl but F1 geek also applies.

Tilkedromes (a great name) are dead boring I agree.
Bring back Imola!!!!

na

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:15 pm

The Korean track is still a constructon site, and the accomodation situation must be horrible. Teams even had to book rooms in cheap red light hotels.

It´ll be interesting so see how it goes. This track is new for everyone, so surprises are likely. A Webber win would be the worst at Korea. I hope Alonso gives the Red Bull´s a hard time so that the year hopefully ends in a photo finish!

jush

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:29 pm

adly, With FOM(Bernie) being addicted to the $$ and the number of races reaching saturation point we are going to see events being dropped.
Expect one of the Spanish races(both would not be a huge loss as they would be soulless and empty ghost races without Alonso), perhaps Germany, maybe Australia... even the "classics" of Spa, Monaco, Monza and Silverstone should not feel too smug.

Sadly you are absolutely right. They should give up some of these fancy new tracks and reinclude some with history and spirit.
Changing the rules back to pre 1998 would be a good thing too.
I still don't see why we should not refuel the cars and why we have these stupid tyre rules to gain some fake action during the race.
I still don't get why we have this type of qualifying? it's better than the one before but the best was still 60 minutes with 12 laps for each driver.
The whole money saving crap is crap too.- Let them spent as much as they want.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

bill142
Topic Author

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:07 am

Quoting na (Reply 7):
The Korean track is still a constructon site, and the accomodation situation must be horrible. Teams even had to book rooms in cheap red light hotels.

I looked into going, but after getting to Seoul, I couldn't work out how to get even remotely close to the track.

GrahamHill

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:32 am

Quoting jush (Reply 8):
Changing the rules back to pre 1998 would be a good thing too.

Ah! I would also like this to happen. I always thought that part of the "real" F1 died when the 1998 rules were introduced.

Quoting jush (Reply 8):
I still don't get why we have this type of qualifying? it's better than the one before but the best was still 60 minutes with 12 laps for each driver.

Yes, I miss this format as well.

MadameConcorde

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:39 am

I was too ill to watch the qualifyings middle of the night. For those who watched them what are your impressions of the new-est Tilke-drome?

sudden

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:50 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 11):
I was too ill to watch the qualifyings middle of the night

You mean free practise.  

If you have access you can watch FP sessions again via BBC's website.
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:00 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 12):
You mean free practise.

If you have access you can watch FP sessions again via BBC's website.

I am not too well and feeling fuzzy so I am saying one thing for another.
I have no access to the BBC videos - for some reason we get blocked. Stupid politics and braodcasting rights.

I will do my best to watch P3 and qualifs at wee hours next coming night.
Seems that there will be a lot of changes in some of the teams, newbies coming in and drivers trading seats.

Also I see that there is more news of Spa being scrubbed in favour of a new Tilke-drome in India, Russia or the U.S.
These new tracks.... baaahhh...  Wow!

... I was told about a proxy that works rather well to access "unacessible" videos. I will have to install it and see if it works.

[Edited 2010-10-22 02:08:14]

GrahamHill

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:24 am

Apparently the track is very dustly. Many drivers spun last night.

Also, if they remove Spa for another Tilke crap, I'll stop watching F1 altogether. Anyway, there are less and less GPs in Europe, so at some point I will not be able to identify myself with this competition.

sudden

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 14):
Also, if they remove Spa for another Tilke crap, I'll stop watching F1 altogether

I find it very odd to remove a track that is so loved by both drivers and fans. Spa is one of the tracks that all drivers want to win on due to it's status. A bit like Monaco.

So,
Shall we go for that break away serie after all as I don't think there will be many teams that actually supports all these bling bling tracks in the future.
When in doubt, flat out!

GrahamHill

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 15):
I find it very odd to remove a track that is so loved by both drivers and fans. Spa is one of the tracks that all drivers want to win on due to it's status. A bit like Monaco.

For Ecclestone, money beats the opinion of the drivers.

sudden

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 16):
For Ecclestone, money beats the opinion of the drivers.

As true as it gets, but I really think this will bite him in the a$$ one day.
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 17):

I am curious to see if they will fill the grandstands tomorrow and Sunday at this new Tilke-drome in Korea. Let's see how this is going to turn out. Any idea what the prices are? Have they made it really cheap as it's a first time for F1 in that country so they can fill the seats?

Also I understand they had to house some of the teams and some of the staff in cheap hotels in the red light district (an area called Mokpo) not too far away and those who are staying there are really bothered because they cannot sleep.
http://fr.espnf1.com/korea/motorsport/story/31822.html
Only the rich teams got the usual 5 star hotels much further away as they get to ride in helicopters and chaufffeured private cars.

It will soon be time to have a breakaway F1 with none of these crappy new tracks.
Bring back Imola!

MadameConcorde

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:25 am

Qualifying Results

Q1
1 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
2 Germany S Vettel Red Bull
3 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
4 Australia M Webber Red Bull
5 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
6 Poland R Kubica Renault
7 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
8 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes
9 Germany N Hulkenberg Williams
10 Great Britain J Button McLaren
11 Germany N Heidfeld BMW Sauber
12 Russia V Petrov Renault
13 Brazil R Barrichello Williams
14 Japan K Kobayashi BMW Sauber
15 Germany A Sutil Force India
16 Spain J Alguersuari Toro Rosso
17 Switzerland S Buemi Toro Rosso
Out
18 Italy V Liuzzi Force India
19 Italy J Trulli Lotus
20 Germany T Glock Virgin
21 Finland H Kovalainen Lotus
22 Brazil L di Grassi Virgin
23 Japan S Yamamoto Hispania
24 Brazil B Senna Hispania

Q2

1 Australia M Webber Red Bull
2 Germany S Vettel Red Bull
3 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
4 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
5 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
6 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
7 Great Britain J Button McLaren
8 Poland R Kubica Renault
9 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes
10 Brazil R Barrichello Williams

11 Germany N Hulkenberg Williams
12 Japan K Kobayashi BMW Sauber
13 Germany N Heidfeld BMW Sauber
14 Germany A Sutil Force India
15 Russia V Petrov Renault
19 Italy J Trulli Lotus

Q3

SEBASTIAN VETTEL QUALIFIES ON POLE FOR THE KOREAN GRAND PRIX

1 Germany S Vettel Red Bull
2 Australia M Webber Red Bull
3 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
4 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
5 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
6 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
7 Great Britain J Button McLaren
8 Poland R Kubica Renault
9 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes
10 Brazil R Barrichello Williams
11 Germany N Hulkenberg Williams
12 Japan K Kobayashi BMW Sauber
13 Germany N Heidfeld BMW Sauber
14 Germany A Sutil Force India
15 Russia V Petrov Renault
19 Italy J Trulli Lotus

The Red Bulls are the fastest....

airplane   airplane 

[Edited 2010-10-22 23:07:10]

sudden

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:35 am

Again Vettel is showing what he's made of. I like the fact that despite all the negative talks about him, he raises above to the challenge, over and over again. Pretty cool.
Great job by Webber as well as Alonso looked set to take pool from middle of Q2 up until the flag dropped in Q3.

Will be interesting to see how far Barichello's complaint against Schumi goes for holding him up.
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:08 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 18):

It will soon be time to have a breakaway F1 with none of these crappy new tracks.
Bring back Imola!

No it won't. The teams are just as interested in the bottom line as Ecclestone is. As long as the teams are happy there is no chance of a breakaway.

Quoting sudden (Reply 20):
Again Vettel is showing what he's made of. I like the fact that despite all the negative talks about him, he raises above to the challenge, over and over again. Pretty cool.

That is true. But you have to remember he's only converted 2 out of 8 pole starts this year to wins. I'm hoping Webber gets the jump on him, tho I have doubts since Webber is on the very dirty side of the track and also struggled with getting good starts.

sudden

Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 20):
Will be interesting to see how far Barichello's complaint against Schumi goes for holding him up.

And here's the answer,
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/10/11421.html
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 22):

And here's the answer,
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin....html

Wha if it had happened the other way around?
Would you think Rubens would be just "reprimanded"?

Schumi seems to have it at Rubens for some particular reason...    

sudden

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 23):
Wha if it had happened the other way around?
Would you think Rubens would be just "reprimanded"?

I don't think anything would happen to Rubens. Simply cause Schumi is a far less clean driver then Barichello.
This is not the first time this season that Schumi is careless, and we all know what sort of stunts he pulled in the past.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 23):
Schumi seems to have it at Rubens for some particular reason.

Nah, Schumi is just being Schumi, and Barichello raises his voice about it. Charlie Whiting is not stupid either, so Schumi needs to watch out a bit.
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Hammy better be awake and fully concentrated tomorrow all through race time or he can just as well say goodbye to the title.

The same applies to Jenson and he may have even less chances as he has got less title points. Not sure what the two are about... Something about the boys... not about the cars.

The McLarens are just as good as the Red Bulls. They better get that win tomorrow or it will be no more question of a WDC title for this season.

sudden

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 25):
The McLarens are just as good as the Red Bulls

The only advantage the Mclaren cars have over RBR is the straight line speed. For the rest RBR is ahead.
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 26):
The only advantage the Mclaren cars have over RBR is the straight line speed. For the rest RBR is ahead.

The Red Bulls are tops I admit but the McLarens are extremely good cars. The drivers are the problem. There is something about hte two that keeps them from winning like they did in the past. The car plays some part, maybe, but the drivers play the most part.

Look at Kamui. He is getting great results with a car that is just average. The boy is an ace!! He again will have 12 drivers in his back and unless a mishap -technical or spin or other- I am sure he will win some spots again tomorrow like he did in Japan and do a good finish. Some of the cars behind him are much better than the Saubers and still he is starting in 12 place. Kamui is King!!!

Again I hope Hammy will be totally awake and concentraded from starting point to finish and get the win otherwise it will be a no-no for him in 2010. The same applies for Jenson. The title will go to another driver. It's all up to them. Tomorrow is the day.

bill142
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:00 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 27):
The drivers are the problem.

Yeah because McLaren only employs bad drivers. And both of them found their World Championships in the bottom of the cornflakes packet  
Quoting sudden (Reply 26):

Correct. The McLaren is ahead in engine performance and straight line speed. They're lacking the edge that Ferrari and RBR seem to have gained. If things go south here then they might as well go and concentrate on 2011.

LTU932

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:58 pm

I personally have given up on F1, not just because of the Tilkedromes that are becoming the standard in F1, the whole greed that is killing traditional circuits as well as the senseless expansion into Asia, and because of the constant rule changes, but also because F1 has become a procession. Hell, since returning to Germany, I hardly even watch it anymore because I'm either at work, or just outside. I do hope Vettel can clinch the title, but as far as F1 is concerned, it's no longer the ultimate in motorsports (or as we Germans call it, the Königsklasse) IMO.

MadameConcorde

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:43 am

Race about to start That Tilke-drome.. ... raining... and MUD... on the track's side ways... If the cars slide, they are going to bring that slush on the track and....

This is going to be a dangerous race. I predict a lot of crashes.... and spins and all... This is ugly.... 20 minutes to go...
Good luck to all... and I hope they will be careful... or else... spin... spin... spin...

Aesma

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:49 am

When I see this circuit, in the middle of nowhere, it is clear that Bernie screwed France big time when he said Magny Cours wasn't interesting because too far from Paris.

Now, it's raining, might make an interesting GP. Let's hope.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MadameConcorde

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:02 am

This will be a safety car departure due to the weather conditions.
They are all on full wets - a 10 minutes delay so all the teams can change their tyres.
No pre-race lap so they will go for the race once they start behind the safety car.
This is an advantage for the Red Bulls.
I bet the safety car will be out a lot...
This race is totally unpredictable. They are driving in threatcherous conditions... wow!!

[Edited 2010-10-23 23:11:51]

n6238p

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:22 am

Race red flagged. Does F1 have any kind of track drying equipment? Maybe something to at least remove the standing water?
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

bill142
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:23 am

Red Flag. They need to look at the rules for wet weather races. After canceling quali in Japan and now this..

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 32):
This race is totally unpredictable. They are driving in threatcherous conditions... wow!!

Behind the safety car, it's entirely predictable

MadameConcorde

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:26 am

They say no weather improvement for the next 40 minutes... This is from the typhoon Megie that hit the Philippines and Tahwan. Really bad... This is the trouble having races in this part of the world...

Singapore and Japan are OK but Korea gets extreme weather at times, this Tilke-drome is right by the sea and they don't know where the wet places are going to be while they are driving. Apparently they are not moving for another while...

The drivers are saying that they cannot see their own front tyres.
Is the whole race going to be under the safety car?

Bring back Imola!!!!

EZEIZA

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:37 am

this is utter BS! It's 3.35 am right now in Argentina and we have no idea what's going to happen ... yes, it was raining heavily, but now it looks like light rain, something that should allow F1 to race, but in this crap track it seems like it's too much to handle. Pathetic .. I can't even expressed how pissed off I am
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

n6238p

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:43 am

If they build a flat track on a marsh, where did they think the water was going to go?
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

MadameConcorde

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:45 am

I totally agree with you. This is pathetic. You see brushing trucks and men with brooms sweeping the slush on the sides... this is ridiculous...

Bring back Imola... The great San Marino F1 GP!!!!

DiamondFlyer

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:48 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):
I totally agree with you. This is pathetic. You see brushing trucks and men with brooms sweeping the slush on the sides... this is ridiculous...

Or just buy some jet dryers. But hey I mean, with F1 being such a technical sport, they can't do that. I mean even NASCAR with the 1950's technology has jet dryers.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

EZEIZA

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:49 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):

unbelievable! F1 2010, and they are taking the water out with BROOMS!!
If they don't make a decision in the next 10 minutes I'm going to bed. I don't know if the whta's worse; if what's happening in Corea or me being so stupid to stay up so late and give the arses that manage F1 the rating on the tv coverage.

n6238p

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:51 am

Only the worlds most technical motorsport could pull off a event like this. At least in 2002 at Surfers Paradise when CART let the field parade behind the pace car for the whole race they gave us the mother of all crashes at the start.

MadameConcorde

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:52 am

So now they don't race because of the water and later they will have to stop the race because it will be getting too dark?

Why did they have this race in Korea first of all when they knew that the racing track was still a construction site?

There is less rain now... but this does not mean that the rain will not be coming back later.

Hey maybe Algersuari will win this one!!!   

The latest news is that Schumi and Rubens have both paid $200,000 to Richard Branson's new company to be among the first people who will go for a joy ride on the Virgin Galactic space craft. I think they will be better up there than on the Korea racing track!!

OK they are now saying race will start in 10 minutes - safety car will do one lap before the action starts.

[Edited 2010-10-23 23:57:03]

photopilot

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:55 am

And now they're talking about a short or 1/2 points race because it gets dark so early in Korea. Sunset is in less than 2 hours from now so chances of a full race are getting very slim. They need 75% of full distance to get full points.

EZEIZA

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:56 am

ok it seems like the race will be resumed in 9 minutes ...

n6238p

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:58 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 42):
Why did they have this race in Korea first of all when they knew that the racing track was still a construction site?

One of my favorite pictures from about 6 weeks ago.

I'm excited that if anyone goes off track they'll need a winch and a case of Busch Light to get em out. The mud is probably a foot deep.

MadameConcorde

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:04 am

This is typhoon weather. Now it's raining again and it will keep raining off and on during the race.
And then it will be getting dark and they will have to stop and go on half points?

So are they going to race at all? Is the race going to be called off only because it is raining???
This makes no sense.

We will certainly remember the first Korean Grand Prix...

Wow!

Looks like they are ready... Go!!!!!!!!!!

Safety car 9 laps now... this is no F1 racing...
Come on!!! Let's get going!!!!

This is race-able now.

From the BBC site
And yet another one behind the safety car. Hamilton wants to get going but here's Mark Webber: "I don't see a big difference to be honest". This is getting tactical. Red Bull want to hold what they have. McLaren's 2008 world champion Hamilton is gagging for the chance to steal some points. Intrigue. Five minutes more rain forecast.

Hey finally... they are going!!!!
This is going to be a overtaking festival..

Webber and Nico???? Accident????

[Edited 2010-10-24 00:47:30]

EZEIZA

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:50 am

wowwwww Webber out! Alonso was lucky not to crash into him ... anything can happen today. After so much BS something interesting is actually happening. btw, for how long will they have enough light to race?

racko

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:53 am

It was a very exciting 2 laps.   

photopilot

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:55 am

Well, Weber has to be praying for a short race and 1/2 points. That would at least limit his losses today.

Less than an hour till sunset, and more than an hour of race time left. Whiting will have to make an interesting decision later.