Max Q
Topic Author

Top Gun 2?

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:00 am

I have read this is more than a rumour. With Tom (I can jump on Oprah's couch ) Cruise reprising his role as Maverick.

Anyone have more info ?

It could be interesting, but without the mighty F14 I think it would be hard to come close to the original.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Airport

RE: Top Gun 2?

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:00 am

It is very true that Tony Scott, the original creator of Top Gun, now expresses his desire to make a sequel, after turning down the idea numerous times. My reaction was initially "No way", but then I read what it would be about...

(From ComingSoon.net)

"Scott explained that his plan for the follow-up is to chart the development of the Air Force fighter pilot into the present day, inspired partially by a young Air Force pilot he met on a flight who runs drone simulations. In contrast to Tom Cruise's character in the first film, the sequel will explore the evolution of the remote-control pilot.

Still unconfirmed is whether or not Cruise will return to his star-making role of Maverick as well as when, exactly, the sequel will move forward. As it stands, the script for the film appears to still be in the research phase (with Christopher McQuarrie approached to write the first draft) and Scott made clear that it would not be his very next production."

This and a few other things I read about it seem to indicate that Top Gun 2 would be a TOTALLY different film than the first Top Gun. Where the first Top Gun was glorious 80s fun, the second one would explore how the actual pilot aspect is going away in favor of unmanned drones and high-tech gadgets. Personally, I think there could be a really good dramatic approach to take the story if they went the right direction with it, as well as being a fun movie.

Cheers!
Anthony/Airport

dragon-wings

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:03 am

If you remember the end of the original Top Gun movie Maverick said he wanted to go back to Topgun and become a instructor there. So I guess if there was a sequel to the original they would have Maverick as a instructor on the F-18?
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

ltbewr

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 am

Please, no more remakes, 'sequels' or movies from old TV shows. Far too many of them are poorly made, have to be made more PC, overpay for actors who don't deserve it.

With Top Gun 2, I bet now Cruse's character would be an executive of a military aircraft maker or with a lobbying group for them, long retired. The position of Cruse would have to be a lesbian fearful of being booted out of the Air Force due to DADT. They would ignore the reality of drones that have killed 1000's of innocent civilians because of the disconnect of 'video game' operation of them since they remove the human element that they can see the death they cause that manned fighters can and decide they have a target that may cause more harm than good. I don't think the idea of obsoleting glamour fighter pilots will play well either with many scared about the issues of technology and more jobs lost to machines.

KevinL1011

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 am

Two threads now. IMO, both should be in Polls and Preferences.

Top Gun 2/Top Gun Sequel (by ORDFan Oct 23 2010 in Aviation Hobby)
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:27 am

According to IMDB a sequal was written immediately after Top Gun was released, but not produced for a number of reasons.

"A script for "Top Gun 2" was completed shortly after the release of the film, but it broke down in pre-production because 1) the military's technology had become updated and they didn't want camera crew anywhere near their new aircraft and 2) Tom Cruise did not want a sequel and finally agreed to star in one for a very high amount that was deemed "unaffordable." The script followed the further adventures of Maverick as an instructor at the Top Gun academy, the twist being a cocky female reminiscent of himself joining the team.
Link this trivia "

LifelinerOne

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:54 am

Top Drone!

Filled with action shots of UAV's chasing each other.

Cheers!   
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

aloges

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Please, no! The original was pathetic enough.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ANITIX87

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 7):

Careful. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this comment should get you banned. You can't be an aviation fan and not adore Top Gun.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

RussianJet

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:07 pm

How could you!!!! Hang your head in shame!

If there is a second chapter, I hope that it also has a scene at the end where the hero is hoisted onto everyone's shoulders, and in the split second his head disappears out of shot a pair of sunglasses magically appear on his face. Lovely stuff!
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

aloges

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:44 pm

A sequel to movie-length US Navy recruitment ad featuring a love story cheesier than a cheddar factory plus a couple of F-14 clips that are ruined by a constant stream of "Maverick, Maverick!" and "Goose! Goose!" blabber? No, thanks!  

photopilot

Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 8):
You can't be an aviation fan and not adore Top Gun.

Actually, YES you can.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 9):

Stand tall...... because TG was full of hype, US jingoism, poor special effects (think of the Head-to-head Mig "photo" shot), and such obvious technical mistakes as to make it comic book laughable. The ONLY pilot that could actually enjoy Top Gun are those pilots flying cargo planes full of rubber dog-feces out of Hong Kong!  Big grin

[Edited 2010-11-03 11:08:42]

aloges

Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 11):
think of the Head-to-head Mig "photo" shot

Do you mean those made-by-Northrop MiGs?   

photopilot

Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 12):

Yup.......             Didn't the black paint and red stars add to the realism?

aloges

Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 13):
Didn't the black paint and red stars add to the realism?

I was completely and utterly fooled.

I mean, they even had an extra-large red star to make sure everyone knew they were the baddies!

EMBQA

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 8):

It was a pathetic movie. I grew up in a brown and black shoe US Navy town and not one of the pilots I knew were anything close to the dope 'Maverick'. The flight scenes were lame as was most of the movie. The only thing worth looking at was a very young Meg Ryan and Kelly McGillis
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 3):
With Top Gun 2, I bet now Cruse's character would be an executive of a military aircraft maker or with a lobbying group for them, long retired.

Or perhaps, a cargo pilot for Fedex or UPS flying rubber dog sh*% out of Hong Kong? Just like the Admiral threatened to do to him after he buzzed the tower at Mirimar NAS.

BMIFlyer

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:58 pm

No, it was cheesy - in a good way - and full of male innuendo.

I concur!

Stand tall...... because TG was full of hype, US jingoism, poor special effects (think of the Head-to-head Mig "photo" shot), and such obvious technical mistakes as to make it comic book laughable. The ONLY pilot that could actually enjoy Top Gun are those pilots flying cargo planes full of rubber dog-feces out of Hong Kong!

Top Gun was produced in the "80's". For the period it was released it was everything the 80's was all about. I loved the movie, and the soundtrack  

Also, its the movie that "made" Tom Cruise.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

airportugal310

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:06 am

I was just watching it on TNT or some channel like that...the irony of it all
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

aloges

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:27 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 17):

For that alone, it deserves to be banished for eternity.

fridgmus

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:39 am

Tom who?

filler filler filler
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

wingscrubber

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:02 am

I'm going to take a different tact here and say that AIRWOLF would convert well to a modern action movie.  
Not quite sure how a Top Gun II will fair... I always thought that was just recruiting propaganda for the US Navy.
Resident TechOps Troll

Maverick623

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:02 am

Stand tall...... because TG was full of hype, US jingoism, poor special effects (think of the Head-to-head Mig "photo" shot), and such obvious technical mistakes as to make it comic book laughable.

Which is what made it so good. Classic 80s cheese.

And you have to admit it was better than Iron Eagle.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Airport

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 16):
Just like the Admiral threatened to do to him after he buzzed the tower at Mirimar NAS.

No, the Admiral threatened to do that to him if he screwed up JUST THIS MUCH. *holds up hand* 

Cheers!
Anthony/Airport

AustrianZRH

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 23):
No, the Admiral threatened to do that to him if he screwed up JUST THIS MUCH. *holds up hand*

You forgot the cigar stump in his hand. And it was after he took a plane he doesn't own, the taxpayers do back up on low fuel to bring Cougar back home to the carrier .
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

PC12Fan

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:27 pm

I just love it when people criticize the content of a movie. That's why they call it a movie kids, not a documentary.

I personally loved Top Gun as well as the sound track.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

aloges

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 25):
I just love it when people criticize the content of a movie. That's why they call it a movie kids, not a documentary.

There are a lot of movies that need to be criticised for their content. Top Gun is a rather harmless example, others are not.

PC12Fan

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 26):

True. I just had tunnel vision with Top Gun I guess.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 1):
(From ComingSoon.net)"Scott explained that his plan for the follow-up is to chart the development of the Air Force fighter pilot into the present day, inspired partially by a young Air Force pilot he met on a flight who runs drone simulations. In contrast to Tom Cruise's character in the first film, the sequel will explore the evolution of the remote-control pilot.Still unconfirmed is whether or not Cruise will return to his star-making role of Maverick as well as when, exactly, the sequel will move forward. As it stands, the script for the film appears to still be in the research phase (with Christopher McQuarrie approached to write the first draft) and Scott made clear that it would not be his very next production."This and a few other things I read about it seem to indicate that Top Gun 2 would be a TOTALLY different film than the first Top Gun. Where the first Top Gun was glorious 80s fun, the second one would explore how the actual pilot aspect is going away in favor of unmanned drones and high-tech gadgets. Personally, I think there could be a really good dramatic approach to take the story if they went the right direction with it, as well as being a fun movie.

That's not very "Top Gun", now is it? Considering the title is named after the NAVY fighter weapons school. This idea sounds like crap.

Oh no you didn't!

Please, no more remakes, 'sequels' or movies from old TV shows. Far too many of them are poorly made, have to be made more PC, overpay for actors who don't deserve it.

You know it's gone too far when they are rebooting a series in less than ten years...cough*Spder-Man*cough.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MCOflyer

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:37 am

Top Gun had a budget of 15 million and grossing 350 million, Top Gun did well despite the limited budget. I can only hope the new movie has a similar fate. I do have a feeling super hornets would be used.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Devilfish

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 12):

Quoting aloges (Reply 14):
Quoting photopilot (Reply 13):
Didn't the black paint and red stars add to the realism?

I was completely and utterly fooled.

This, at least, is about twenty years younger and born around the time of the original movie.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Axel Recke

Love the dark, menacing color.....    Guess they couldn't get their hands on one!

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 2):
So I guess if there was a sequel to the original they would have Maverick as a instructor on the F-18?
Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 29):
I do have a feeling super hornets would be used.

Why do I get that nagging thought that they would cast these instead?..... 
View Large View Medium

Photo © Saeed Ezadi
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ali Heydari

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mohammad Razzazan - Iranian Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Babak T

View Large View Medium

Photo © Babak T
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mohammad Razzazan - Iranian Spotters

[Edited 2010-11-06 10:59:29]
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

fridgmus

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Or maybe the producers could just lease a few MiG-29's from a former Warsaw Pact country?
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

Devilfish

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:27 pm

I'm guessing they'd build mockups of these.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Agustin Anaya
View Large View Medium

Photo © Max Bryansky - Russian AviaPhoto Team

.....and run computer simulations to appeal to a much younger, cyber-raised audience. But who would they have win if this was used instead?.....   

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joey Collura
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rob Tabor

RussianJet

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 19):
Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 17):

For that alone, it deserves to be banished for eternity.

Only that will I consider a fair criticism of this classic.

As for everything else, the fact that it is one of the silliest and least credible, cheesy movies ever made just makes me like it more.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

TheCommodore

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:30 pm

One of the worst Hollywood flicks ever to star the dwarf, IMHO.
Just terrible   
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

flybyguy

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 32):
and run computer simulations to appeal to a much younger, cyber-raised audience. But who would they have win if this was used instead?

You got that right. Today's Hollywood goes for spectacular explosions and larger than life effects while coming of with a profit... so if there is a Top Gun 2. It would probably end up being shot entirely in front of a green screen. They'll probably be fighting the Iranians or the North Koreans in some sort of ridiculous, overly patriotic doomsday scenario.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

LMP737

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:30 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 34):
One of the worst Hollywood flicks ever to star the dwarf, IMHO.
Just terrible

I take it you never saw Peral Harbor?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

EMBQA

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:00 am

So.. if it follows a true time line 'Maverick' would have....1) long ago been forced out with force reductions, 2) long ago been forced to leave with failure to make rank or 3) left to fly with the airlines.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

TheCommodore

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:41 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 36):

That would be my 2nd choice !!

“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

Cadet985

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:35 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 16):
Just like the Admiral threatened to do to him after he buzzed the tower at Mirimar NAS.

That wasn't an Admiral.....he was a Commander. Watch the movie and look at the rank insignia, it's a silver leaf. The highest rank I recall seeing in the movie was an Admiral or two at the inquiry.

I personally can't wait to see what they can do with a sequel. I think one should have been made long ago, and I even had some ideas for it......even wrote a script for a Top Gun sequel when I was in high school for a film class (it got an A-). The original is my favorite movie of all time, and I am proud to say that I own the movie on VHS, DVD, and on my iPod. Also, when the sequel comes out, I guarantee that I will be at the first showing at my local movie theater.

Marc

aloges

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:31 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 37):
3) left to fly with the airlines.

...for $19,000 a year...   

Airport

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:32 pm

LOL, funnily enough both were produced by the same producer, Jerry Bruckheimer, who also produced Armageddon, The Rock, Con Air, and Crimson Tide.

Cheers,
Anthony/Airport

EMBQA

Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 40):
3) left to fly with the airlines.

...for $19,000 a year...

How much do you think a Lt or CDR makes in the US Navy..?? Besides, with jet time most don't need to do the regional path. Back then most of the guys I knew were going straight to the major airlines.

MDShady

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:40 pm

As long as they include a beach volleyball scene backed by a Kenny Loggins tune, I'm all for it.

Pyrex

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:38 pm

While I don't disagree that movie was excruciatingly horrible, to say the least, Tom Cruise was not in it (I guess Jerry Bruckheimer thought he was already putting his viewers through enough and took mercy on them).
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Devilfish

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:11 pm

With Top Gun 2, I bet now Cruse's character would be an executive of a military aircraft maker or with a lobbying group for them, long retired.
So.. if it follows a true time line 'Maverick' would have....

.....his Top Gone?  

n6238p

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:19 am

Tell me I'm not alone when I though Hot Shots was waaaay better than Top Gun.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

aloges

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:56 am

Quoting N6238P (Reply 46):
Tell me I'm not alone when I though Hot Shots was waaaay better than Top Gun.

There's at least two of us.

PC12Fan

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:08 am

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 30):
This, at least, is about twenty years younger and born around the time of the original movie.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Axel Recke

Love the dark, menacing color.....    Guess they couldn't get their hands on one!

Damned shame the F-20 naver made it to service. Yeager called it the best fighter he'd ever flown.

Quoting aloges (Reply 47):

Although I disagree, that's pretty damned funny!

Devilfish

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:19 pm

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 48):
Damned shame the F-20 naver made it to service. Yeager called it the best fighter he'd ever flown.

Makes we wonder if it would have helped its cause if the Tigershark starred in Iron Eagle in turn...   ....though a "real" flying aircraft might have been required as production technology was not as cutting edge then than now.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mick Bajcar
View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Lockett

Of course, crashing during practice before an airshow and while on demonstration to prospective buyers had pretty much put a damper on everything.