dxing
Topic Author

Keith Olberman Suspended Indefinitely By Msnbc

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Ooops. Gotta wonder if it was the campaign contributions or his plain old down the tubes ratings both on his show and on MSNBC's election night coverage.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ended-for-political-donations.html

Nov. 5 (Bloomberg) -- MSNBC host Keith Olbermann was suspended indefinitely without pay for making political donations in violation of the channel’s policies.

“I became aware of Keith’s political contributions late last night,” Phil Griffin, president of MSNBC, said today in an e-mail. “Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay.”

Could it be they were just looking for an excuse?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

UNCRDU

RE: Keith Olberman Suspended Indefinitely By Msnbc

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:17 pm

Love it. Olbermann is a partisan hack and this is long overdue.

NIKV69

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:19 pm

I don't get this. You let this guy rail and spew out far left crap every night but suspend him when he gives some money? Makes no sense. If you are going to go with him go with him. He already is in the tank what does giving money matter?
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

OA412
Crew

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):
I don't get this. You let this guy rail and spew out far left crap every night but suspend him when he gives some money? Makes no sense. If you are going to go with him go with him. He already is in the tank what does giving money matter?

Easy, he broke policy which is likely a terminable offense whereas making political comments on his show clearly is not.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

AGM100

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Quoting UNCRDU (Reply 1):
Olbermann is a partisan hack and this is long overdue.

I don't support him being fired for his commentary or his political views . He is just unlikable as a personality (IMO)... but I am sure many see Hannity as about the same.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Aaron747

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Quoting dxing (Thread starter):
Gotta wonder if it was the campaign contributions or his plain old down the tubes ratings both on his show

Ratings were icing on the cake but you simply can't violate your contract like that. What a jerkoff.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Ken777

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:29 pm

The guy is the flip side of Beck. Not a big deal if either disappears for a while.

PSA53

After Olberman smacked FOX's Murdoch for contributions to the Republicans,Olberman gives money to the democrats.OMG! What a nut case. Good journalistic integrity.But he's not,anyway.Just a man of tremedous hate for his political opposition.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

tristarenvy

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):
Easy, he broke policy which is likely a terminable offense whereas making political comments on his show clearly is not.

Exactly. Good call MSNC, maybe now I'll go back to watching.

I liked this network 'til it went off the left end of the pool, right into deep end. I liked it because it was more "moderate" as opposed to Fox and CNN. Then it just got to be TOO liberal. The night Olberman childishly called for Bush to resign...(and went over his shows time doing it) ... I decided I had enough.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

ltbewr

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:31 pm

I guess the right winders as well as Fox News will be celebrating this today as well as their personalities KO often bashed.
Still, KO had to know the rules, that he knew he couldn't get away with it, that Conservative groups were combing through public records as to campign contributions looking for people in the 'left wing' media like Mr. Olberman.

NIKV69

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:38 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 9):
I guess the right winders as well as Fox News will be celebrating this today as well as their personalities KO often bashed

I still think something is hinky here. Something isn't adding up. Could be he was on the block already?

AGM100

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:38 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 6):
The guy is the flip side of Beck

One small problem ... Beck slaps the GOP regularly and if you listen to him you will find that he really say;s the GOP is more of our enemy than the DNC. We know what the liberals want to do ....its the RINOS who win on conservative values and vote progressive that he hates. Olbermann sucks up to anything with a D ... not a good comparison with Beck at all.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

OA412
Crew

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 10):
Could be he was on the block already?

Maybe he was, but we don't know that. What we do know is that he violated his contract, and they had just cause to terminate him.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:03 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 9):
I guess the right winders as well as Fox News will be celebrating this today as well as their personalities KO often bashed.
Still, KO had to know the rules, that he knew he couldn't get away with it, that Conservative groups were combing through public records as to campign contributions looking for people in the 'left wing' media like Mr. Olberman.

Fox News Network (FNN) couldn't care less about who Keith Olberman gives money too or who he shells for. In the entertainment business ratings are everything and that is one thing Keith Olberman (and the rest of MSNBC) simply does not have.

Klima

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:09 pm

From Huffington:

Quote:
While NBC News policy does not prohibit employees from donating to political candidates, it requires them to obtain prior approval from NBC News executives before doing so...Griffin's statement underscores that it was Olbermann's failure to obtain approval, and not the actual political donations, that prompted the suspension.

Tsk! Tsk!, Keith. I wonder how long he'll be suspended for?

dxing
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):
Easy, he broke policy
Quoting PSA53 (Reply 7):
Good journalistic integrity
Quoting OA412 (Reply 12):
What we do know is that he violated his contract,

Number one, even the spokesman for MSNBC isn't commenting on specific policy violations. From the original link:

Chris Hayes will host “Countdown” tonight, MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines said in an e-mail. He didn’t immediately respond to requests to confirm the donations or specific MSNBC policy violations.

I could well understand a policy in place affecting actual journalists that would prohibit them from donating money to a political campaign but lets be serious, Keith Olberman is anything but a journalist. He is a commentator same as Hannity, same as Beck, same as Maddow, same as O'Reilly. They are not held to the same journalistic ethics or standard as a reporter or anchor. So I would be interested to see this "policy".

As to violating his contract, who exactly in this crowd has access to his policy? Most opinion givers, if their agent has a brain, insert clauses into their personal services contracts that would exempt them from this kind of thing. I'd be amazed if he didn't have that kind of protection. I don't think the story is being fully told or is completely over just yet.

I still think something is hinky here. Something isn't adding up. Could be he was on the block already?

Agreed, I think this is a smoke screen for low ratings and maybe a person that is hard to get along with. Maddow better watch her back, she could be next.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

PSA53

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 12):
Could be he was on the block already?

Maybe he was, but we don't know that. What we do know is that he violated his contract, and they had just cause to terminate him.

But what is a concern and the bigger picture,and why I don't like democrats holding fund raisers in SoCal,and like Murdoch and Olberman,who else is contributing behind the Hollywood sign.   
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

NIKV69

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Quoting Klima (Reply 14):
Tsk! Tsk!, Keith. I wonder how long he'll be suspended for?

I'm getting the feeling not too long.

Quoting dxing (Reply 15):
Agreed, I think this is a smoke screen for low ratings and maybe a person that is hard to get along with. Maddow better watch her back, she could be next.

Especially since the election has shown the country moving away from her fringe. She really is a hater and a person who has not intention of working with anyone. She wants the whole country to be like San Francisco and that is just not going to happen.

StuckInCA

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 6):
The guy is the flip side of Beck. Not a big deal if either disappears for a while.

Agreed. I wish we could ditch all of the news channels and talking heads altogether. We'd be better off as a country.

Lumberton

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 13):
Fox News Network (FNN) couldn't care less about who Keith Olberman gives money too or who he shells for. In the entertainment business ratings are everything and that is one thing Keith Olberman (and the rest of MSNBC) simply does not have.

MSNBC is simply no threat to Fox at all. This will provide delightful cannon fodder for O'Reilly's show tonight!

First NPR fires Juan Williams for speaking his mind, now Olberman gets **** canned for doing what comes naturally (to him). I think I'll actually have to watch Chris Matthews for once and see how he explains it.

"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

windy95

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:00 pm

And toss in the Disaster of an election night on MSNBC with their 100% biased panel and it does not add up to a good week for them.

OA412
Crew

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 18):
Agreed. I wish we could ditch all of the news channels and talking heads altogether. We'd be better off as a country.

Exactly. All of this talk of MSNBC being biased or Rachel Maddow being a hater is ridiculous. ALL of the talking heads at ALL of the networks are biased and all have come across as "haters" at one time or another. Denying such is playing into partisan politics, plain and simple.

NIKV69

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 20):
And toss in the Disaster of an election night on MSNBC with their 100% biased panel and it does not add up to a good week for them.

Their total lack of respect was overwhelming. How they treated Bachmann was disgusting and I am surprised Matthews didn't get reprimanded. Only to jump all over Malkin when she mocked Pelosi while she wasn't talking to her. It's just status quo for a company who is has one purpose. To further the George Soros agenda.

StuckInCA

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
Their total lack of respect was overwhelming. How they treated Bachmann was disgusting and I am surprised Matthews didn't get reprimanded. Only to jump all over Malkin when she mocked Pelosi while she wasn't talking to her. It's just status quo for a company who is has one purpose. To further the George Soros agenda.

Then don't watch it   

Fox is no better.

That's why I don't watch either one.

CPH-R

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:47 pm

Funny thing is, if you look at the MSNBC ruleset, the rule he is alleged to have broken, doesn't really sounds like it fit Olbermann anyway:

"Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest. Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the President of NBC News or his designee."

Keith Olbermann being impartial? That'd be the day.

us330

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:33 am

And today's worst person in the in the world is.....

dxing
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:01 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 24):
Funny thing is, if you look at the MSNBC ruleset, the rule he is alleged to have broken, doesn't really sounds like it fit Olbermann anyway:

Agreed, which is why I question if it is the real reason he is suspended or just a convenient excuse for a non-producer in the ratings.

Aphonic

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:14 am

Their total lack of respect was overwhelming. How they treated Bachmann was disgusting

Indeed, he wasn't much better with Sharron Angle either. I know some on the far left like to claim FOX is equally as vile or worse than Chris Matthews but that's just not true. Bill O'Reilly on the other hand has his heated debates but he is far more respectful and even handed when compared to the obnoxious tool Chris Matthews and most if not of all on the left.

I am surprised Matthews didn't get reprimanded.

I'm not surprised. That's what he gets paid to do! I would even venture to say he gets browny points for being so politically wretched.

t's just status quo for a company who is has one purpose. To further the George Soros agenda.

Bingo   

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 23):
Fox is no better.

Sure it is and far more truthful as well.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 23):
Then don't watch it   

Now's the best time to watch msnbc. It's great watching these out of touch, ignorant hacks become unhinged. It's obvious matthews' hasn't slept well since Tuesday, he looks haggard.
I'm not racist you ANUS. Obama's spending is heinous

BMI727

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:24 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):
he broke policy which is likely a terminable offense whereas making political comments on his show clearly is not.

It is policy and he broke it. But, why have that policy? Olberman is a biased guy working at a biased network. I don't see why it is so evil for him to support off screen the the same things he supports on screen.

[Edited 2010-11-05 18:24:30]
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Ken777

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 am

Quoting us330 (Reply 25):
And today's worst person in the in the world is.....

The idiot who suspended a guy making the network good money. Probably more profitable for MSNBC than the idiot who fired him under the assumption that he was a journalist.         

DocLightning

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:28 am

Quoting dxing (Thread starter):

Ooops. Gotta wonder if it was the campaign contributions or his plain old down the tubes ratings both on his show and on MSNBC's election night coverage.

But I thought MSNBC was part of the Vast Liberal Media Conspiracy.

How's THAT square?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

EA CO AS

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:33 am

This is a no-brainer - most corporations have ethics policies that state you cannot accept or give anything to/from someone that may put you in a position of or even give the appearance of compromising your decisionmaking on behalf of the company. While I've always liked Olbermann but disagreed with his politics, he clearly stepped over the line and MSNBC has an obligation to take action in the interest of preserving their standing as an unbiased, objective news organization.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Aaron747

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:41 am

FWIW, Mathews was much more moderate before Olbermann and Maddow dragged the network to the left. I'd bet a fair amount that he turned Olbermann in  
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

dxing
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:48 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 31):
MSNBC has an obligation to take action in the interest of preserving their standing as an unbiased, objective news organization.

Again, while that may be true for their journalists, it should have no bearing on commentators like Olberman. No one watching him, Maddow, Hannity, or Beck could possibly come away with the idea that they are unbiased or objective in their analysis.

NIKV69

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:56 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 32):
FWIW, Mathews was much more moderate before Olbermann and Maddow dragged the network to the left

Oh yea I bet he was real moderate when he worked for Carter.

Mir

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:21 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 4):
He is just unlikable as a personality (IMO)... but I am sure many see Hannity as about the same.

He is. Getting Olbermann off the air is a good first step - the next one is to get Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly, Maddow and Matthews off as well. Or at least get rid of their shows - I'd have no problem with them appearing as commentators here and there. But the strictly opinion shows have taken far too much of a role in the media, and it's not doing us any good.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

NIKV69

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:41 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
Or at least get rid of their shows -

Sure sounds a lot like censorship to me. Now we are going to decide what shows are allowed to be broadcast?

Mir

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:49 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 36):
Sure sounds a lot like censorship to me. Now we are going to decide what shows are allowed to be broadcast?

It's what I'd like to see the networks do of their own volition - have the focus be on the news, and have the commentary as a supplement, rather than the other way around.

I wouldn't want the government to enforce such a thing, because that would be censorship, as you said.

-Mir

us330

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:53 am

No, the problem isn't that the shows are on the air. The problem is that when people watch opinion type shows, they tend to turn their brains off and believe what these talking heads say. We shouldn't ban these shows from airing--there is, after all, such thing called a remote control and an off switch--we should encourage more Americans to use critical thinking.

Aphonic

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:58 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):

He is. Getting Olbermann off the air is a good first step - the next one is to get Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly, Maddow and Matthews off as well.

Then that would leave places like NBC,ABC, CBS and NYT to get one's news. Those elite liberals live in their own liberal cocooned universe. Charlie Gibson from ABC didn't even know about the massive ACCORN sting a year ago and he was a news anchor. And you say FOX is bad? Get real buddy.

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/15...rlie-gibson-and-the-ostrich-media/

Aphonic

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:33 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
Or at least get rid of their shows -

Sure sounds a lot like censorship to me.

It sure does.

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
and it's not doing us any good.

It's not doing "liberals" any good. Things were fine and dandy for liberals prior to the advent of Foxnews when the media was monopolized by liberals. But now that FOX has taken that monopoly away, the Republican side told and democrats being called out and confronted by their opposition. Uncompromising folks now claim the media's all screwed up, Fox and republicans are racists yadda yadda yadda.

Look, American is a right leaning country and gets turned off by excessive liberalism. Such talk IMHO is nothing but frivolous partisan sniveling. Fox is here to stay, the Right will continue to be heard, sorry.

StuckInCA

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:48 am

Quoting Aphonic (Reply 27):
Sure it is and far more truthful as well.

LOL. Whatever blows your hair back, bub.

Quoting Aphonic (Reply 27):
It's obvious matthews' hasn't slept well since Tuesday, he looks haggard.

Maybe he's tired from, you know, covering the elections? Who knows? Who cares?

CometII

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:03 am

Not that far, but there SHOULD be a broadcast requirement for a disclaimer at the start of shows like Beck, Hannity, Maddow and Countdown, written and spoken saying:

''The following program is an opinion broadcast by a current affairs COMMENTATOR. The viewpoints expressed and news selection presented by the host or hosts are not subject to third party fact checking or equal time rebuttal. Some of the comments on this program may be based on political, ideological or party affiliation. Any segment presented during the following hour as a news report is not unbiased. Viewer discretion is encouraged.''

WarRI1

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:21 am

Quoting us330 (Reply 38):
--we should encourage more Americans to use critical thinking.

As has been seen and heard on here from the devotee's of Fox and their talking heads who pass on, and preach the policy of hate and mis-information, that is not going to happen. It is one thing to listen to talking heads like KO and Hannity it is quite something else to swallow the drivel. That is what surprises and saddens me, the gullibility of people. Sad.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Mir

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:39 am

Quoting Aphonic (Reply 39):
Then that would leave places like NBC,ABC, CBS and NYT to get one's news.

It would also leave Fox and MSNBC. Unless you're suggesting that all the people I mentioned are the only sources of news on said networks.

-Mir

dxing
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:54 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
Or at least get rid of their shows - I'd have no problem with them appearing as commentators here and there. But the strictly opinion shows have taken far too much of a role in the media, and it's not doing us any good.

Soon as they get ride of shows like Survivor, American Idol, Chasing the Kardasians, and Dancing with the Stars....oh, check that, I can change the channel and get rid of them myself!

ltbewr

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:51 pm

The factor that probably got KO suspended is that he gave contributions to candidates for office who also appeared on his 'Countdown' show.

Two were candidates in Arizona who opposed the recent state law expanding of the duties of local and state police there to check for the citizenship or legal status to be in the USA of persons they come into contact with. The third was opposing Rand Paul, the controversial radical-Tea Party canidatate who did win the US Senate race in Kentucky.

Something like this looks like 'checkbook journalism' which is generally prohibited by most media outlets for good and sound reasons. What should happen here is that the persons who got his monies should give it back to KO, they should be banned from any further appearances on NBC/MSNBC news programs, the policies of NBC/MSNBC should be clearer to ban any donations to anyone who appears on their shows. All political parties also ought to have internal rules to ban contributions from anyone in the media. Perhaps too the Federal Elections Commission should also have rules banning contributions from anyone connected as regular employees of media companies (including Rupert Murdoch of News Corp/Fox/NY Post).

I have been a fan of KO from ESPN and often watched his 'Countdown' show. He helped bring Rachael Maddow, to me one of the best true liberal commentators on TV now. He also helped to raise millions including an substantial contributions from his own pocket, to the health clinic program that helps those without health insurance and not qualified for Medicaid/Medicare in at least 8 sessions in the past year, saving dozens of lives and improving the lives of 1000's with health problems. I do hope he returns after a proper time in purgatory, that his show has better management by MSNBC/NBC to make sure situations like this don't happen again

STT757

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):

He is. Getting Olbermann off the air is a good first step - the next one is to get Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly, Maddow and Matthews off as well. Or at least get rid of their shows - I'd have no problem with them appearing as commentators here and there. But the strictly opinion shows have taken far too much of a role in the media, and it's not doing us any good.

Absolutely,

These shows are marketed as "News", when in reality they are op/Ed. They should not be marketed as op/ed, not news.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Boeing4ever

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Good. Now if only Hannity, Beck, Maddow, O'Reilly, and Matthews would go away too. Our country could finally drop the hyperpartisan atmosphere.

It's not their fault though. They spew what they're paid to spew. We need regulations that state if your network is mostly commentary, then it can't be called a "News Network".

I miss the old CNN Headline News format. Just news, no bullshit. I used to watch that all the time before they went switched to celebrity crap.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers  

NIKV69

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 48):
We need regulations that state if your network is mostly commentary, then it can't be called a "News Network".

How do you do this when the network also covers the news?