novak500
Topic Author

Getting From MAD To Madrid Atocha Rail Station

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 am

Hello,

I'll be flying into Madrid in July of next year. I'm looking at flying direct from YYZ then taking the AVE from Madrid to Seville. From what I have seen I can get to the train station using the underground, does anyone know if this is relatively easy with some luggage and jetlag? In the alternative I've seen a cab runs about 30E between the airport and rail station, does anyone know if this close to the real cost?

Tx
Rich

BlueElephant

RE: Getting From MAD To Madrid Atocha Rail Station

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:51 am

Quoting novak500 (Thread starter):
In the alternative I've seen a cab runs about 30E between the airport and rail station, does anyone know if this close to the real cost?

Doable by metro, but I think you have to change lines once or twice which can be tough with bags.
I did it last year and it took about 45 minutes but I only had one carry on roller.

I don't think its 30 Euro that seems pretty low, its a fairly long distance.

DocLightning

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:01 am

It's doable but there will be line changes and at least two flights of stairs before you even get out of the metro.

Also, be aware that the Atocha station on the Metro and Puerta de Atocha (which is where AVE leaves) is not exactly the same place. Connected, but not the same.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

vandenheuvel

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:21 am

Doing this by metro is pretty easy. The Madrid subway system is very easy to navigate through. IIRC most stations have escalators bringing you to the trains. In order to get at the Atocha rail station you can probably take lines 8, 10 and 1 or 8, 6 and 1. I think you can leave the train on the Atocha RENFE station. I'm not sure about that. It's indeed a long walk if you pick the wrong one.

The taxi will probably be more expensive than 30e.

HT

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:51 am

From the airports website on www.aena.es :
There appears to be a new Express Bus service to Atocha station:

Bus
The Airport Express Line has only four stops between Atocha and the Airport (T4) so traveling between Barajas and the centre of the Capital takes only 40 minutes.

There is one train each 15 minutes in the day and one each 30 minutes at night. This line has stops at T4, T2, T1, O’Donell (at crossroad with Doctor Esquerdo), Cibeles and Atocha.

This service costs two Euros to be paid on the bus.

More information Empresa Municipal de Transportes de Madrid.

Riding a bus should be more convenient than having to drag luggage onto the Metro ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

AustrianZRH

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Estimated Fare using meter at 09:00

Distance: 16.25 km. | Duration: 20 min.

jump in the taxi 2.05 €
16.25 km. x 0.98 € per km 15.92 €
waiting in traffic (~8 min.) 2.68 €
airport surplus 5.50 €
Total 26.15 €

from www.worldtaximeter.com

Fare was pretty accurate for San Francisco and Vancouver, so the total should be around that.

Of all the choices with the jetlag in mind I'd go either for the bus or the cab. Beware of pickpockets in the Metro!
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

Stratofish

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:26 pm

It IS easy to get to Atocha even though you have to change lines once.

Take the Metro 8 from the airport to the final station (Nuevos Ministerios) then transfer into the so called CERCANIAS (operated by RENFE) take the escalator (or elevator) up one level, buy a new ticked from the Cercanias-Machine (!) take the first train that leaves from any platform to your left (take the escalator down) and the second stop is Atocha.

Minor hassle that will cost you about 4-5EUR. and takes about 15 minutes.

The bus is only a night-time option.

There was talk about extending the Cercanias to MAD but I doubt it will be operational by next July.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

N1120A

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 2):

Also, be aware that the Atocha station on the Metro and Puerta de Atocha (which is where AVE leaves) is not exactly the same place. Connected, but not the same.

Hence there is an "Atocha" station and "Atocha RENFE" station. The second one is the right one.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

novak500
Topic Author

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks for the info, its all very helpful.

R