ua777222
Topic Author

Harrison Ford Speaks For Climate Change-Hypocrite?

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:44 am

Harrison Ford has been all over the news speaking with the Terminator for climate change.

Is this a bit hypocritical given his extensive use of private jets that he personally owns and flies? BTW, does anyone know if he publicly donates to offset his emissions?

Sidebar: He does own some sweet aircraft; most notably his CJ3 and Cessna C680.

Does anyone know if he owns the G450 that shares the next sequence in his unique registrations?
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

Superfly

RE: Harrison Ford Speaks For Climate Change-Hypocrite?

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:55 am

Quoting ua777222 (Thread starter):
Is this a bit hypocritical given his extensive use of private jets that he personally owns and flies? BTW, does anyone know if he publicly donates to offset his emissions?

Why scrutinize him and not all the other celebrities?
At least he can fly his own plane unlike Bono and Al Gore.  
Bring back the Concorde

KPDX

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:02 am

Just reading "to offset his emissions" makes me pissed off. What a fraud.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
At least he can fly his own plane unlike Bono and Al Gore.

Exactly.   
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

ua777222
Topic Author

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):

Because is he probably the most excessive of them all.

He should take a page out of George Clooney's book. Clooney is for climate change/reform but has stated multiple times that he will not speak out on it with an agenda because he uses private jets to travel around the world.

Superfly

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:10 am

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 3):

Hardly.
There are celebrities far more decadent than Harrison Ford. I have no problem with any of it BTW.
These people help companies like Cessna and Gulfstream stay in business and employ people.

Can lip service be used to offset emissions?  
Bring back the Concorde

lewis

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:11 am

does anyone know if he publicly donates to offset his emissions?

I don't see why that matters. It is either a case of:
1) Rich people can pollute more than others.
2) By paying, the damage you do by polluting is somehow magically reversed.

Both of these don't make any sense. Even if he did pay to offset he is still a hypocrite!

Superfly

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:18 am

Quoting lewis (Reply 5):
1) Rich people can pollute more than others.

3) Paying lip service to the environmentalist will keep him employed and get leading roles in future Hollywood films.

Considering his profession, he probably has to say these things so he doesn't get black listed.
Bring back the Concorde

MD-90

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:27 am

John Travolta's Boeing comes to mind here.

Mudboy

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:29 am

Why are we upset that famous, rich people spend their money the way they want to, since after all, they earned it? If I hit the lottery I would have the biggest gas guzzeling pasta rocket they make, and see how fast I could get it up to on the autobahn. Should we be upset that the Urban Cowboy flies a B707, instead of a more fuel efficiant B737 as well?

DiamondFlyer

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:32 am

Yup, I mean, how many other Hollywood celebs take their Bell 407 out and search for missing people? Harrison Ford is hardly the most excessive in Hollywood. Last I checked, you can only use 1 airplane at a time, but hey, if you've got a way to be in 2 places at once, more power to you.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

luckyone

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:32 am

He should take a page out of George Clooney's book. Clooney is for climate change/reform but has stated multiple times that he will not speak out on it with an agenda because he uses private jets to travel around the world.

So in other words he's saying in a very politically correct fashion I don't give a rats ass and back off.

Quoting lewis (Reply 5):
By paying, the damage you do by polluting is somehow magically reversed.

Exactly, especially when one considers that a lot of these "carbon credit" companies basically run coal factories that just sit there and spew forth noxious fumes in cities like Linfen for no other reason than to get paid to be turned off while we do our little dance called "Climate Change."

Superfly

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 am

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 9):
how many other Hollywood celebs take their Bell 407 out and search for missing people?

Excellent comment!

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 8):
Why are we upset that famous, rich people spend their money the way they want to, since after all, they earned it?

Easy targets and of course jealousy.

If I hit the lottery I would have the biggest gas guzzeling pasta rocket they make, and see how fast I could get it up to on the autobahn.

Cool.  
If I were flush with cash I'd own a Lockheed JetStar as my small private jet and a 747-100 in American Airlines / Stevenson's Corporation (Airport '77) livery.
I already have the car I want.

In a way, I have helped Harrison Ford save the planet and I personally should earn some carbon credits.
I picked up the follwing Harrison Ford movies used on LaserDisc.
The Conversation
Blade Runner
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Witness
Patriot Games
The Fugitive
Air Force One

I picked all of these up for only $1 a piece. I prevented these movies from going in to a landfill. I plan on keeping these and have no intentions of buying these movies again on DVD or BluRay.
I don't fall in to the disposable consumer society category.
So can someone tell me what kind of carbon credit I should receive for my noble act?
Can Harrison Ford and all supporting actors earn a carbon credit since their older films released on LaserDisc, Betamax, VHS and RCA CED VideoDisc has a viable 2nd. hand market among us collectors?
Bring back the Concorde

ua777222
Topic Author

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:15 am

I'm not comparing Harrison Ford with others who use jets excessively; hell, I know a company who stores their jets at one airport and has them flown to another airport 10 miles away because executives don't want to wait in traffic, at an outrageous cost to shareholders. I'm speaking directly to his being a spokesman for climate change.

I think Harrison Ford is one someone could easily idolize and I respect the additions he's brought to the aviation industry, but I'm confused as to how anyone can take him seriously when speaking of climate change given his personal preferences.

wn700driver

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):

Considering his profession, he probably has to say these things so he doesn't get black listed.

I doubt he cares. He might not look it, but the man has got to be near 70 years old. Most guys his age aren't really "looking" for work.

I agree that it's just jealousy to have a problem with his actions. I'm somewhat environmentalist by nature myself, but that would never prevent me from owning multiple aircraft, were the funds available...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

Superfly

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:34 am

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 13):
He might not look it, but the man has got to be near 70 years old. Most guys his age aren't really "looking" for work.

I'm sure he is smart with his money, however residual income is still very important to older established entertainers.
Bring back the Concorde

wn700driver

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 am

It is, fly. But I don't think he's in danger of losing it, whatever he says or does. New work may be a new question, but I don't think a very important one, is all.

PS, some trivia...

Did you know that Sean Connery, the man who played his father in Last Crusade is only 12 years older than Harrison Ford in real life? I think that's pretty funny.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

fridgmus

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:47 am

While I'm a fan of Harrison Ford and commend him for using his helo to search for those missing people, I just take with a grain of salt and ignore what any and all of those "Hollywood Types" have to say regarding things like this, things they (not all mind you) probably don't know much about. They just want to be on the bandwagon.

Besides, isn't Hollywood a planet all it's own!!!   

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

Superfly

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 am

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 15):
Did you know that Sean Connery, the man who played his father in Last Crusade is only 12 years older than Harrison Ford in real life? I think that's pretty funny.

Wow. I did not know that.

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 15):
I don't think he's in danger of losing it, whatever he says or does. New work may be a new question, but I don't think a very important one, is all.

Perhaps is a preventative measure on his part just in case there is an aggressive witch hunt against anyone who is perceived to be going against the authorities of climate change. That is not beyond the realm of a possibility.
He is just covering his arse just in case.
Bring back the Concorde

Yellowstone

Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:32 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 2):
Just reading "to offset his emissions" makes me pissed off. What a fraud.

Why? If your aircraft emits x tons of carbon dioxide, but you plant enough extra trees to absorb x tons of carbon dioxide (or pay someone else to plant those trees), then you've offset your emissions - your net effect on the environment is zero. Where's the fraud in that?

Quoting lewis (Reply 5):

Both of these don't make any sense. Even if he did pay to offset he is still a hypocrite!

Again - if you plant trees that will grow to weigh as much as the CO2 you emitted, you've basically reversed the damage caused by your CO2 release.

Quoting luckyone (Reply 10):
Exactly, especially when one considers that a lot of these "carbon credit" companies basically run coal factories that just sit there and spew forth noxious fumes in cities like Linfen for no other reason than to get paid to be turned off while we do our little dance called "Climate Change."

Citation, please?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

fridgmus

Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:41 am

Does anybody know how long it takes a tree (whatever species) to grow enough to really put out some oxygen to counter all this carbon? Yes, yes, I know it takes a large amount of trees!

Thanks,

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

KPDX

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:25 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 18):

Why? If your aircraft emits x tons of carbon dioxide, but you plant enough extra trees to absorb x tons of carbon dioxide (or pay someone else to plant those trees), then you've offset your emissions - your net effect on the environment is zero. Where's the fraud in that?

Yeahhhh!!! It's that easy! And for only 10 easy payments of 29.99 you'll also get a certificate!

View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

Superfly

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:34 am

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 19):
Does anybody know how long it takes a tree (whatever species) to grow enough to really put out some oxygen to counter all this carbon? Yes, yes, I know it takes a large amount of trees!

Several decades.
He is doing it for the children.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 20):
Yeahhhh!!! It's that easy! And for only 10 easy payments of 29.99 you'll also get a certificate!

....and if you act now, you can get a FREE slab of tree bark and a rock.  
Bring back the Concorde

Aesma

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:20 am

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 19):

Thanks,

F

Well, the wood from the tree is mostly made from the carbon in the atmosphere, so it's the growing itself that is a CO2 sink.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MadameConcorde

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:54 am

Is this a bit hypocritical given his extensive use of private jets t

Of course it is.. the same with Al Gore or Prince Albert of Monaco.

They constantly get taken to places around the world in private jets to conferences advocating a cleaner planet!!
Muwahahahahaha!!!

You will not often see them flying in commercial airliners!
They are hypocrits big time!!
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

racko

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:22 am

The problem is that people don't like the fact that they cause these harmful emissions. So the easiest solution is just to ignore the science - if you convince yourself that there isn't a problem, you don't have to think about how to do something about it. That's why you don't see such an effort to fight other scientific findings like gravity - gravity doesn't require you to reconsider the way you do things.

Now if you have a method that helps but isn't perfect (and carbon offsetting isn't perfect), their mental capacity gets spent on ways to attack the science and the methods that result from it, mostly not to convince you but to convince themselves.

On the plus side, this shows that there's human decency. Instead of just saying "Yeah, i realize that this is harmful and will have terrible effects for future generations but I don't care" they actually have a conscience and need to convince it that there isn't a problem, because otherwise it would force them to act. There's hope.  

aerorobnz

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:29 am

I don't care. If you're wealthy you can do whatever the hell you want - that is why we all secretly want to be in that position.
I vehemently defend anyone's right to a private aircraft or two if they are spending their own cash to buy it.

Hell if I had as much money as Harrison ford (around 300 million) I'd be flying around in something a whole lot more extravagant than a tiny CJ3.

I remind you that
1) There are 4x 1996 B777-21B currently for sale for 40million each
2) a number of 747-400s from 1992-1997 for sale between 18-35million
3) plenty of 757/767s out there for less, inc some already VIP config...

All of which would be a snip to someone in his position - even to kit out in a VIP interior and maintain.

Anyone who stands up for Climate change is almost by definition a hypocrite IMO. Carbon Credits are a con plain and simple...
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

windy95

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Do these companies like the one the fraud ALGre set up make a profit? Or do climate frauds like ALGore profit personally from the garbage they peddle. That is fraud.

Superfly

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 26):
Do these companies like the one the fraud ALGre set up make a profit? Or do climate frauds like ALGore profit personally from the garbage they peddle. That is fraud.

'Nobel Peace Prize' winners are probably exempt.
Bring back the Concorde

CPH-R

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 pm

ZzzZZzzz   

Another "Let's bash the climate change-advocate" thread.

For those mocking the carbon offset scheme, I'm sure the rest of the class would like to see the evidence that it's all a scam  

4holer

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 28):
For those mocking the carbon offset scheme, I'm sure the rest of the class would like to see the evidence that it's all a scam

And if you don't like what the evidence says you hit that button that blows up the person? Isn't that what the video says is the funny way to deal with those "nonbelievers"?
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

windy95

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 28):

I guess you did not see the carbon exchage shutdown here in the US last week. They tried it in Chicago and it ended with an epic failure. And of course you will not see Obamas ties to the failed exchage. But yes here in the US except amongst certain individuals it is a scam of epic proportions. Sorry we will not play the Euros silly little game.

lewis

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Why are we upset that famous, rich people spend their money the way they want to, since after all, they earned it? If I hit the lottery I would have the biggest gas guzzeling pasta rocket they make, and see how fast I could get it up to on the autobahn. Should we be upset that the Urban Cowboy flies a B707, instead of a more fuel efficiant B737 as well?

I am fine with anything they do, as long as they drop the 'hollier than thou' attitude and stop trying to be environmental spokesmen. You know, 'practice what you preach', otherwise you are a hypocrite.

So you come back to my point, rich people can pollute more than poor people. So this guy comes out and says to everyone else "don't pollute, don't drive a big car, don't do this, don't do that", unless you have enough $$ like me to "offset" the damage you do. Wouldn't a real environmental advocate support doing the least damage to the environment to begin with?

Also, unless this carbon offsetting scheme is always checked to make sure it is legit, I don't buy it. Are any of the carbon offetting services checked for where 100% of the money goes. So a person like Ford has planted enough trees to offset his private jet use, yacht, house, second house, third house etc etc. Is it only more trees that will save the planet?

I also remember reading about this famous person who was buying carbon credits from himself.

Yellowstone

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:16 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 26):

No, it's not. It's not fraud to profit by providing a service people need. Take the anti-cholesterol drug Lipitor. Pfizer has made billions of dollars off of selling the drug. They also encourage people to get their cholesterol checked, and warn of the dangers of high cholesterol. Are they frauds? Of course not. High cholesterol is a real problem, and Pfizer has come up with a solution to that problem - and given that this is a capitalist society, they can earn some profit for their efforts. Likewise, global warming is a real problem, and the people who come up with the solutions to that problem will want to make a profit. They've got the right to seek compensation for their work.

Quoting lewis (Reply 31):
So you come back to my point, rich people can pollute more than poor people.

Of course they can, but you're coming at it from the wrong direction. Most of the actions that cause pollution cost money to do in the first place. Poor people can't fly around in business jets, not because they can't afford the carbon offset, but because they can't afford the jet in the first place.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

windy95

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Wouldn't a real environmental advocate support doing the least damage to the environment to begin with?

If it was really about the environment and not Cap and tax.

windy95

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 32):
No, it's not. It's not fraud to profit by providing a service people need

But that is the point. No one needs this service. It is made up by charlatans and frauds to pay your sin tax at the altar of global warming. Global warming is a religion and carbon credits are your way of buying the favor of removing your sin.

Take the anti-cholesterol drug Lipitor. Pfizer has made billions of dollars off of selling the drug. They also encourage people to get their cholesterol checked, and warn of the dangers of high cholesterol. Are they frauds? Of course not. High cholesterol is a real problem

High Cholesterol will kill me sooner. Being 94.6 degrees tomorrow instead of 94 will not.

Likewise, global warming is a real problem

Some peoples opinion...

Yellowstone

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 34):
Some peoples opinion...

You'll pardon me if I take the word of 97% of climatologists over the claims of some random dude on the Internet.

4holer

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 35):
You'll pardon me if I take the word of 97% of climatologists over the claims of some random dude on the Internet.

97% if you throw out every scientist who disagrees since clearly they don't know what they are talking about, right?

Yellowstone

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Quoting 4holer (Reply 36):
97% if you throw out every scientist who disagrees since clearly they don't know what they are talking about, right?

Like I said, 97% of climatologists, the folks who actually have training in this area and who study it for a living. Scientists in other fields who object? Sorry, but they don't matter that much. You wouldn't consult your child's pediatrician about your own upcoming open heart surgery just because he's a doctor, would you?

I'm a chemist, and you'll notice that I've never claimed that my opinion on the global warming issue counts for much. I'm not a climatologist - on issues relating to climate, I'll defer to their conclusions.

Superfly

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:08 am

I am fine with anything they do, as long as they drop the 'hollier than thou' attitude and stop trying to be environmental spokesmen. You know, 'practice what you preach', otherwise you are a hypocrite.

See my reply #6.
Not sure I want to beat up on Harrison Ford over this. He is a good man and I respect him a lot. I suspect he is only saying this to cover his arse in case the Global Warming jihadist step up their attacks on private citizens that own aircraft and fast automobiles.

High Cholesterol will kill me sooner. Being 94.6 degrees tomorrow instead of 94 will not.

Also, fundamentalist Mu---- terrorist are a much bigger threat than any supposed 'global warming'.

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 37):
on issues relating to climate, I'll defer to their conclusions.

How is that any different than that silly Congressman that said "God" will take care of global warming?

No one needs this service. It is made up by charlatans and frauds to pay your sin tax at the altar of global warming. Global warming is a religion and carbon credits are your way of buying the favor of removing your sin.

Excellent choice of words. In some ways, In some ways, I fear the environmentalist more than the fundamentalist Christians, Ku Klutz Klan or Islamic fundamentalist terrorist. None of those groups will try to steal my car or monitor my day to day activities. If they were a fringe group, they wouldn't bother. The fact that they have allies at the highest level of government throughout the West is scary.
Bring back the Concorde

4holer

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:03 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 37):
I'm a chemist, and you'll notice that I've never claimed that my opinion on the global warming issue counts for much. I'm not a climatologist - on issues relating to climate, I'll defer to their conclusions.

I'm a chemist too, coincidentally. I work in water quality. Now I'd have to imagine that if the hysteria involved some perceived threat to the purity of the water supply and billions/trillions of dollars were going to be thrown at the people in the field of water quality, you might find a high percentage of my peers declaring their belief in the threat. Especially if there is a track record of money being cut to those who do not support the issue in question.

That said, I'd also have to see the poll that came up with the 97% number.

As for Harrison Ford, I recently saw him on one of the late night talk shows; Letterman I believe. I gotta say the man seemed a bit off mentally. Seemed confused, slow, and maybe a little touch of pre-dementia there. Not saying for sure, but that was my impression. If that is the case, I hope his flying days are behind him?

ua777222
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:08 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
Easy targets and of course jealousy.
Quoting wn700driver (Reply 13):
I agree that it's just jealousy to have a problem with his actions.

It has nothing to do with jealousy. It has to do with the fact that he is publicly speaking out against those that do exactly what he does. I have long been an advocate of private aviation as I can see the benefits it provides to its operatiors/owners. Clooney might be saying, politically correct, to screw off, but at least he's not lying about it.

I personally think that all the good that he does with aviation, from the use of his Bell in search and rescue operations to flying his Cessna Caravan down to Haiti with his contributions to EAA Young Eagles are extremely respectable. But he doesn't need to be out promoting something that he cannot follow himself. It is not like he is committing some unethical moral-violation, he is merely taking both sides of an issue publicly.

Quoting 4holer (Reply 39):
As for Harrison Ford, I recently saw him on one of the late night talk shows; Letterman I believe. I gotta say the man seemed a bit off mentally. Seemed confused, slow, and maybe a little touch of pre-dementia there. Not saying for sure, but that was my impression. If that is the case, I hope his flying days are behind him?

Far from it. He just purchased a new Citation Sovereign last year and both of his bigger aircraft are trackable, so I assume he's still jetting around.

Superfly

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:57 am

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 40):
he doesn't need to be out promoting something that he cannot follow himself. It is not like he is committing some unethical moral-violation, he is merely taking both sides of an issue publicly.

The whole global warming hysteria is a circus. There is not a single human being on the face of the earth that isn't putting out CO2.
In Hollywood, your political opinion on this issue is very important. It's a modern day McCarthyism.
Bring back the Concorde

san747

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:29 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 36):

If he discounted every scientist who disagreed, he would have said 100%.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):

How is that any different than that silly Congressman that said "God" will take care of global warming?

The scientists Yellowstone defers to exist.

Excellent choice of words. In some ways, In some ways, I fear the environmentalist more than the fundamentalist Christians, Ku Klutz Klan or Islamic fundamentalist terrorist. None of those groups will try to steal my car or monitor my day to day activities. If they were a fringe group, they wouldn't bother. The fact that they have allies at the highest level of government throughout the West is scary.

Oil companies and other special interests completely opposite of "environmentalists" have just as many people in bed with Western governments, if not more so.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):

In Hollywood, your political opinion on this issue is very important. It's a modern day McCarthyism.

Good for them. Luckily for you and I, Hollywood has little to no influence on our lives and decisions... right?
Scotty doesn't know...

Superfly

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:39 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 42):
Luckily for you and I, Hollywood has little to no influence on our lives and decisions... right?

This is a thread about Harrison Ford who is a Hollywood actor. We do have a right to make comments on what they do.
Right?

Oil companies and other special interests completely opposite of "environmentalists" have just as many people in bed with Western governments,

Yep, they provide a vital source of energy and provide millions of jobs.
The environmentalist only produce hot air and grab headlines. For the most part, they are harmless until they have political influence. That is when they become a problem.
Bring back the Concorde

san747

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:49 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 43):

This is a thread about Harrison Ford who is a Hollywood actor. We do have a right to make comments on what they do.
Right?

Absolutely! No issue there.

The environmentalist only produce hot air and grab headlines.

So research into alternative energy and greener technology produces no jobs?

For the most part, they are harmless until they have political influence. That is when they become a problem.

People who don't know what they're talking about exist everywhere. For every environmentalist talking head with political influence, there is someone with the exact opposite views with some amount of power, so it balances itself out. Which side has "control" or more power is up to the politicians- they choose which bed to crawl into.
Scotty doesn't know...

Yellowstone

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:06 am

Let me know when God publishes his data and methodology in a reputable, peer-reviewed journal.

Superfly

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:10 am

So do preachers, Preist, rabbis and imams.
They're all salesmen for a non-existent being and profiteers of fear.

Quoting san747 (Reply 44):
Absolutely! No issue there.

So why did you bring it up?

So research into alternative energy and greener technology produces no jobs?

I support those efforts 100%.
I have issue with Cap & Trade schemes and Kyoto Treaties that would raised energy rates, chase off any remaining manufacturing jobs, bankrupt our economy and make a few fat cats at Goldman Sach rich.
If they can develop a solar panel the size of compact disc to provide full power to a city the size of New York City, then I fully support their efforts.

For every environmentalist talking head with political influence, there is someone with the exact opposite views with some amount of power, so it balances itself out. Which side has "control" or more power is up to the politicians- they choose which bed to crawl into.

You can say that again and the election results on November 2nd. proved that.
I'm still a Democrat but my party deserved to lose this time around because the environmentalist wing was getting out of control. Sadly all the ecotards won re-election and the level-headed members lost.
Bring back the Concorde

san747

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:35 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):

So why did you bring it up?

Because at the end of the day, whatever we think of them, they will do what they will do. Is it hypocritical of Hollywood celebs to preach their pro-environment cause right before they walk up the steps to their G5? Yeah, but acknowledging it won't stop them.

At any rate, we're ALL hypocritical about something.
Scotty doesn't know...

Superfly

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 47):
Is it hypocritical of Hollywood celebs to preach their pro-environment cause right before they walk up the steps to their G5?

Which is no different than hopping in to a Toyota Prius.
Bring back the Concorde

racko

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:45 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):

So do preachers, Preist, rabbis and imams.
They're all salesmen for a non-existent being and profiteers of fear.

So if you're sick you value the opinions of a doctor and an Imam equally? If a loved of yours gets sick, do you call an ambulance or the nearest house of worship?

Would you rather fly in an aircraft built by Boeing based on science or by the Catholic church based on faith?

Have you ever worn a condom?

Where does the sun go at night?