EA CO AS
Topic Author

Opposite Of Self-gloss: Broke My Knee Today

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:17 am

Not intentionally, of course - but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn does it hurt like a bitch! Fell down and landed firmly on my right kneecap, full force, on concrete. VERY ugly, and I have to call the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to schedule the surgery.

Anyone else ever have this occur? If so, what sort of recovery time did you need, did you ever regain full range of motion, etc?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

tristanhnl

RE: Opposite Of Self-gloss: Broke My Knee Today

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:45 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Thread starter):
VERY ugly, and I have to call the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to schedule the surgery.

Anyone else ever have this occur? If so, what sort of recovery time did you need, did you ever regain full range of motion, etc?

I have not personally ever had a fractured patella, but as a medical radiographer I can answer your questions. I'm assuming that because you're getting surgey scheuled you've already had x-rays taken. What kind of fracture do you have? Most of the time simple transverse fractures or even comminuted fractures require insertion of K-wires to hold the fragments in place. Unfortunately ROM is significantly reduced due to stiffness during the healing process, and you may need to wear a splint for at least 1 1/2 to 2 months. Once callus formation is consistently seen on follow-up x-rays over time (evidence of complete healing), surgery is done to remove the wires. And naturally follow-up exams continue to ensure proper bony alignment. ROM should be fully restored after all is said and done.

Treatment ultimately depends on what is best for your situation and is agreed upon between you and the ortho doctor. I've seen a patient who like you broke her kneecap but decided to forego surgery and simply wear a cast. The cast bound her leg from mid-thigh to mid-shin, which extremely limited movement of that leg. She had the cast on for over 3 months. Bad idea in my opinion, but that's the inconvenience she was willing to put up with in order to avoid an operation.
Hong Kong: truly Asia's world city!

Thorben

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:12 am

Oh sh--

Get well soon.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

signol

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Opposite Of Self-gloss:

Maybe FML:
?

And get well soon!

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

DocLightning

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Well, silly, why'd you do that? Now you're in a world of bother. ZOMG the kids these days.

Well, it's an operation or two, which is a fascinating experience. And some time on crutches, which is a nice hit to your pride.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Type-Rated

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:17 pm

How did you manage this?
Were you skateboarding down a railing? Jumping off the top of a 3 story building with a skateboard?

Here's hoping your pain goes away soon and you start to feel better quickly!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 5):
How did you manage this?

I'd love nothing more than to say I was doing something awesome - even dangerous - to bring this about. Fact of the matter is that I was just walking on level pavement and tripped.

Yeah, I rule.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Type-Rated

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):
Fact of the matter is that I was just walking on level pavement and tripped.

Don't worry, that has happened to the best of us before....accidents can happen! Still wishing you the best for a speedy recovery.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:52 am

Thanks for the good wishes! Still haven't heard from the orthopedic surgeon, but I expect I will by Monday or Tuesday.

OA412
Crew

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:12 am

Ouch! That sucks! I'm truly sorry and wish you a speedy recovery.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):
I'd love nothing more than to say I was doing something awesome - even dangerous - to bring this about. Fact of the matter is that I was just walking on level pavement and tripped.

Yeah, I rule.

High five!   
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

AR385

Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:26 am

My two cents: Enjoy the Vicodin while it lasts.

[Edited 2010-11-20 22:32:08]

Type-Rated

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Heck with the Vicodin, go for the Tramadol!

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:41 pm

They gave me 10mg of Oxycodone. We'll see what they come back with once the surgery has been done.

DocLightning

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 12):
They gave me 10mg of Oxycodone. We'll see what they come back with once the surgery has been done.

Whatever it is, my advice is don't be the Big Man who refuses. The medicine is there to relieve your pain, so take it. Don't take more than you need, but don't be afraid to take enough. You won't get hooked from therapeutic use.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:50 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 12):

Whatever it is, my advice is don't be the Big Man who refuses. The medicine is there to relieve your pain, so take it.

The Advil has been helping me so far, and doesn't upset my stomach like the Oxycodone does. Any recommendations for a non-nausea-inducing painkiller?

Superfly

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:40 am

Opposite Of Self-gloss:

Self pity thread?  
Starting a new trend here at Airliners.net?

Get well soon.
I can only imagine the pain you are going through.
Bring back the Concorde

September11

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Fell down and landed firmly on my right kneecap, full force, on concrete. VERY ugly,

ouch! I feel the pain....... Take it easy
Airliners.net of the Future

DocLightning

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 14):

The Advil has been helping me so far, and doesn't upset my stomach like the Oxycodone does. Any recommendations for a non-nausea-inducing painkiller?

IV Demerol?  

If the motrin/advil/ibuprofen is holding the pain off, then that's fine. Some orthopedists don't like NSAIDs in fractures because NSAIDs slightly decrease bone healing in beagle puppies.

You aren't a beagle puppy (I don't think) so I'm in favor of pain control.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan