vikkyvik
Topic Author

Strange NYC Street Sign....

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:24 am

So I was in NYC for a wedding a few weekends ago. Wedding was in Brooklyn, and while waiting for the hotel to call us and tell us our room was ready, we wandered across the Brooklyn Bridge into Lower Manhattan.

We went by City Hall and over to Ground Zero (accidentally, actually - I didn't realize it was so close). While walking back to some subway station or other, we passed City Hall again. I happen to look up at a lightpost and see this sign:

My immediate thought was "I have no idea how to react to this, but I know I have to take a photo."

That still applies - I have no idea what to think about that sign!

So I'm opening it up to opinions.

Obviously serious diseases are a touchy subject, but I'm the kind of guy who can appreciate the seriousness of something AND appreciate joking about it as well, so....

If you're wondering where exactly it is, here you go:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...dwJgXr1ISVA&cbp=12,122.56,,2,-0.92
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NZ107

RE: Strange NYC Street Sign....

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:34 am

Zoom out and you'll see that it's next to Avenue of the Finest.. Thoughts on that?
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

Cadet985

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:06 am

There's actually a funny intersection, up in I think it's Washington Heights. The intersection of Semen and Cummings. I actually took a picture of those signs lol.

Marc

Superfly

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:27 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Thread starter):
I have no idea what to think about that sign!

It means don't 'hook up' with anyone in that plaza as they have A.I.D.S.

City of Chicago has given 2nd. names to almost every street in the city which I'm sure causes confusion or no one pays it any attention.
Bring back the Concorde

exFATboy

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:49 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 1):
Zoom out and you'll see that it's next to Avenue of the Finest.. Thoughts on that?

"New York's Finest" refers to the NYPD, and it's not far from Police HQ on Centre St, so that makes some sense. And no one uses that name anyway, that's just a ramp leading to the Brooklyn Bridge.

The blue-sign names in NYC are just commemorative but are not used in addresses (I don't think the Postal Service recognizes them). It's very easy to get a block or two of a street, or a little plaza, given one of these names, they can basically be bought (I've heard figures as low as $4000 for one- or two-sign plaza like this). Some of the designations are officially made by the city government, though.

There are a few streets in NYC that have more than one official name, the most prominent being 6th Avenue, a/k/a "Avenue of the Americas". I've never heard anyone who lives here ever call it Avenue of the Americas, though, and you can use either name on mail.

And here's a tangentially-related trivia fact - New York City street signs used to vary in color by borough.

And another trivia fact - we actually have a Federal guideline in the US now that says signs cannot be in all-capital letters, so in NYC alone we're spending $27 million to (gradually) change all the street signs. Personally, I find the capital/lower case combination harder to read, and - at least in the example here - quite ugly. The change-over won't be complete until roughly 2018.

Superfly

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:06 pm

Guy sets up first date and tells lady to meet him at the People With A.I.D.S. Plaza.   
Bring back the Concorde

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:46 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):

It means don't 'hook up' with anyone in that plaza as they have A.I.D.S.

Ha, thanks for the advice!

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 2):
There's actually a funny intersection, up in I think it's Washington Heights. The intersection of Semen and Cummings. I actually took a picture of those signs lol.

Nice! Feel free to post the photo here.

Quoting exFATboy (Reply 4):
The blue-sign names in NYC are just commemorative but are not used in addresses (I don't think the Postal Service recognizes them). It's very easy to get a block or two of a street, or a little plaza, given one of these names, they can basically be bought (I've heard figures as low as $4000 for one- or two-sign plaza like this). Some of the designations are officially made by the city government, though.

Yeah, I figured it wasn't an actual street name. Still weird as hell!

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
Guy sets up first date and tells lady to meet him at the People With A.I.D.S. Plaza.

The start of a very interesting (and perhaps short) relationship, I'm sure.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

OA412
Crew

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:56 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Thread starter):
Obviously serious diseases are a touchy subject, but I'm the kind of guy who can appreciate the seriousness of something AND appreciate joking about it as well, so....

Yeah I can definitely do that at times. It's not really surprising to see something like this in NYC. NYC, along with LA and SF was one of the hardest hit cities during the early years of the AIDS epidemic. Even today, New York still leads the nation in number of HIV/AIDS cases. For instance, San Francisco has had 1/4 the number of diagnoses since the start of the epidemic and Los Angeles has had a bit less than 1/3.

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 2):
The intersection of Semen and Cummings. I actually took a picture of those signs lol.

Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

jfk69

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:30 pm

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:08 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 7):
It's not really surprising to see something like this in NYC. NYC, along with LA and SF was one of the hardest hit cities during the early years of the AIDS epidemic. Even today, New York still leads the nation in number of HIV/AIDS cases. For instance, San Francisco has had 1/4 the number of diagnoses since the start of the epidemic and Los Angeles has had a bit less than 1/3.

Understandable. Still, the name they chose for the plaza is just so odd....and funny. They couldn't use "AIDS Awareness Plaza" or "AIDS Victims Memorial Plaza" or something? They had to use "People with AIDS Plaza"???

Man.

NZ107

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:16 am

Quoting exFATboy (Reply 4):

Oh right, I didn't have a clue that it referred to NYPD's finest.. But the name itself doesn't show much - ie if you didn't know what it meant and only saw it at face value from Google Maps for instance like me..

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):

LOL.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

OA412
Crew

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:58 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 9):
Understandable. Still, the name they chose for the plaza is just so odd....and funny. They couldn't use "AIDS Awareness Plaza" or "AIDS Victims Memorial Plaza" or something? They had to use "People with AIDS Plaza"???

Man.

LOL, I totally understand where you're coming from. Without going into too much dry and boring detail, there tended to be a lot of political correctness, especially in the early years of the epidemic as well as a lot of stigmatization. Way back then, people decided to call those dying of the disease, people with AIDS or PWAs instead of AIDS victims. Even today there are quite a few AIDS service organizations specifically geared toward PWAs in contrast to those focused both on those with the disease as well as disease prevention. I'm assuming that the naming of the plaza is directly related to all of this.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West