propilot83
Topic Author

President Obama Visits Afghanistan

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Another and the second surprise visit to Afghanistan from President Obama. Check it out!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40492083...-south_and_central_asia/?GT1=43001

windy95

RE: President Obama Visits Afghanistan

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Spends three hours and calls Karzai on the phone for 15 minutes..  

CometII

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm sure the media is spinning it already as yet another Obama vacation.

Aaron747

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 1):

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he went to personally assassinate Karzai. LOL
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Mir

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:39 pm

They wanted to do it face-to-face, but couldn't. Probably related to security, and on a trip like that, I can't fault them for calling it off if it was perceived to be too dangerous.

Of course, had Obama actually visited Karzai, I'm sure we'd be hearing complaints about how he should have spent more time with the troops.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

skyservice_330

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:08 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Of course, had Obama actually visited Karzai, I'm sure we'd be hearing complaints about how he should have spent more time with the troops.

Exactly. Hell, Obama could cure cancer tomorrow and there would be folks on this board criticizing him because he didn't cure AIDS at the same time. No reason or logic really, just good ol' fashioned partisanship.

D L X

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:23 pm

That's three hours longer than anyone else on this thread. (So far.)

What did you expect him to do there?

I swear, some people only know how to criticize.

MD11Engineer

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 6):

That's three hours longer than anyone else on this thread. (So far.)

Not me. I once spent about the same time in Kabul airport earlier this year (as ground engineer on flight duty ("Flying spanner") on a cargo B747).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

hka098

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:52 pm

More waste of taxpayer dollars. Obama could have called Karzai from Washington.

seb146

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:27 am

Quoting HKA098 (Reply 8):
More waste of taxpayer dollars.
Spends three hours and calls Karzai on the phone for 15 minutes

And when anyone in the Bush administration visited, they were doing their patriotic duty and showing how much respect they have for the troops. Sheesh, people! Get over it! It is okay for one president but not another? What happened to respecting the office? None of this sounds like respect for the office to me!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

propilot83
Topic Author

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:43 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
They wanted to do it face-to-face, but couldn't. Probably related to security, and on a trip like that, I can't fault them for calling it off if it was perceived to be too dangerous.

-Mir

From what I've heard according to the press, is that bad weather canceled his visit from Bagram to Kabul, not because of security reasons, on the last visit Obama did manage to visit Karzai in Kabul after landing in Bagram.

hka098

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:42 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 9):
And when anyone in the Bush administration visited, they were doing their patriotic duty and showing how much respect they have for the troops. Sheesh, people! Get over it! It is okay for one president but not another? What happened to respecting the office? None of this sounds like respect for the office to me!

I never claimed it would not be just as much of a waste if it were Bush doing the traveling. You assumed that. Presidents need to stay home and mind the store.

Aaron747

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:59 am

Quoting HKA098 (Reply 11):
Presidents need to stay home and mind the store.

What are you talking about dude? The VC-25 is a flying White House - there's very little the President can't do while on a trip as opposed to back in DC.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DocLightning

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:59 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Probably related to security,

I think they said it was weather. Couldn't safely fly to or from Karazi's location.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 9):

And when anyone in the Bush administration visited, they were doing their patriotic duty and showing how much respect they have for the troops.

Actually, when Bush did it, I thought it was an absolute waste of taxpayer dollars. The mission had to be classified and they also had to submit a false flight plan for AF-1 identifying the aircraft as a Citation (or something). A British pilot almost blew the whole thing because they flew right over England in broad daylight.

I've never thought it was a good idea to fly a President into a war zone.

Quoting HKA098 (Reply 11):
Presidents need to stay home and mind the store.

I disagree. A President can do a lot by traveling. The India trip (for which the costs were vastly overblown by Fox News) was important.

But this trip was not important. It was also very dangerous and could have been compromised had any pilot seen AF-1 in flight during daylight.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

BMIFlyer

Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:03 am

Good for him. Aside from everything, a visit from the president is always usually a MASSIVE morale boost for the troops on the ground  

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Quokka

Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:48 am

I see nothing wrong with the C-in-C visiting the troops on the ground. It gives him the opportunity to see (at least partially) what is going on and to talk to the officers commanding local operations. It may also help to boost morale among the troops and shows that they and their efforts are not forgotten.

Would his critics have commended Obama had he never visited Afghanistan? Personally, I have no problem with a President entering into a war zone (although I suspect if his advisers thought it too great a risk, it wouldn't happen). I believe very strongly that those who make decisions to put other people's lives at risk in the service of their country should be willing to face the same risk themselves. My father, who served with the British Army, brought me up to believe that you should never ask another man to do something that you are not prepared to do yourself.

WarRI1

Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 am

[quote=BMIFlyer,reply=14]Good for him. Aside from everything, a visit from the president is always usually a MASSIVE morale boost for the troops on the ground

I could not agree more, I say good for him also. I give the man credit for doing this for the troops. I just love the naysayers once again, dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't. The troops sure looked happy to see him, of course who cares what they and their families think?    
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Mir

Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:43 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):
I think they said it was weather. Couldn't safely fly to or from Karazi's location.

Of course they could. But they probably couldn't do it and maintain adequate levels of security. I suppose it is sort of chicken and egg question as to what was the real reason - either way, I don't have a problem with it.

-Mir

hka098

Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:17 pm

I disagree. A President can do a lot by traveling. The India trip (for which the costs were vastly overblown by Fox News) was important.

Important for whom? Presidential travel is too expensive and often unnecessary. Telephones, Telepresence technology can be used to do the same tasks. A huge morale booster for the troops would be for them to go home.

seb146

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:27 pm

I've never thought it was a good idea to fly a President into a war zone.

No, it never is a good idea. But, the president is in command of troops, so he should show up once in a while at least just to say "you are doing a good job and we have not forgotten about you."

Quoting HKA098 (Reply 18):
Important for whom? Presidential travel is too expensive and often unnecessary. Telephones, Telepresence technology can be used to do the same tasks.

It is a psychological thing. It is a morale boost and better for relations if a person shows up rather than a teleconference. Sure, it is cheaper to phone into a NATO meeting in Switzerland, but how can he be taken seriously that way?

A huge morale booster for the troops would be for them to go home.

YES!!! What many many of us have been saying for years!!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

hka098

Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 19):

It is a psychological thing. It is a morale boost and better for relations if a person shows up rather than a teleconference. Sure, it is cheaper to phone into a NATO meeting in Switzerland, but how can he be taken seriously that way?

I suppose you are right. I just can't get past the point that Pres. Obama is a politician and just another one of same crop of politicians that have been in charge for years. Pres. Obama never served in the military and I, personally, consider that mandatory for holding such an office. I felt the same about Pres. Clinton when he was in office and I was in the Army.

D L X

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Quoting hka098 (Reply 20):
Pres. Obama never served in the military and I, personally, consider that mandatory for holding such an office.

The Founders didn't.

In fact, the Founders insisted that the leader of the military be a civilian.

skyservice_330

Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:05 pm

I just can't get past the point that Pres. Obama is a politician and just another one of same crop of politicians that have been in charge for years.

....and just like politicians before him, he is visiting deployed troops.

Pres. Obama never served in the military and I, personally, consider that mandatory for holding such an office.

Too bad the US Constitution disagrees with you.

DocLightning

Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Important for whom?

For all Americans. Our President needs to be able to travel. Telepresence is no substitute.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

hka098

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 22):
....and just like politicians before him, he is visiting deployed troops.

...and just like politicians before him, he is full of it. Words from a professional politician mean little. Why does the President need to travel? Especially so extravagantly? His concerns should be at home and not abroad.

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 22):
Too bad the US Constitution disagrees with you.

Never claimed it did, was stating a personal opinion.

Mir

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Quoting hka098 (Reply 24):
His concerns should be at home and not abroad.

His concerns should be with the American public. And right now, there are a lot of American citizens overseas, risking their lives on behalf of the country. They don't get nearly the recognition that they deserve, so I have no problem with the President going over for a visit.

-Mir

star_world

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:18 pm

His concerns should be at home and not abroad.

It is insular attitudes such as yours that have resulted in the US being where it is today... Who cares about the rest of the world!

Superfly

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:23 pm

At least he'll get to hear one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.   
Bring back the Concorde

futurepilot16

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:32 pm

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 5):
Exactly. Hell, Obama could cure cancer tomorrow and there would be folks on this board criticizing him because he didn't cure AIDS at the same time. No reason or logic really, just good ol' fashioned partisanship.

THAT IS PREPOSTEROUS....They'd probably be more pissed off at the fact that the effect of him curing cancer is that now, there's gonna be a dramatic rise in population

...and just like politicians before him, he is full of it. Words from a professional politician mean little. Why does the President need to travel? Especially so extravagantly? His concerns should be at home and not abroad.

Personally i'm just dumbfounded

Dude, I'm not sure how to respond to such an ignorant post, but i'll take a stab at it. Let me guess, you would rather him travel coach on American Airlines and take taxi cabs right? Never mind the fact that it makes him an easy target for assassination which, mind you, is the sole reason for the president to travel "extravagantly".

Why does the president need to travel? Should I answer this or refer it to a 2nd grader?
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

ronglimeng

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:38 pm

I had a close look in the accompanying article at the Jim Young/Reuters photograph of the President meeting the troops. Most of them seemed thrilled to see him but I noticed a few soldiers scattered around the background with neutral expressions on their faces.

I don't know, call me a glass-half-full kind of guy, but the idea of the Commander-in-Chief arriving after dark, unannounced, with a load of state-side reporters in the back, then spending 3 (?) hours on the ground meeting and greeting, and then leaving again in the dark....well, it smells like "photo-op" to me.

Can't we get any genuine reactions from the troops on this kind of thing? Or is all the coverage going to be from White House media sitting in the back of the plane and then turned loose in Bagram for a couple of hours? Are there no modern-day Ernie Pyle's out there who can give us the real story?

I'm also intrigued by the secrecy involved in an Air Force 1 global trip. I'm sure most people would figure Obama would be going there before Christmas so how much of a secret can it be?

I wonder how people at the White House, just outside the inner circle feel when they are intentionally deceived for security reasons. Are they told "He's going to Camp David" or is it "wink, wink, He's going to Camp David".

I see the great circle route from Andrews AFB to Bagram AFB takes you across northern Scandinavia and then Russia. I'm sure the Russians would not appreciate an aircraft with a decoy call-sign transiting through their airspace with the US President aboard. They must know, out of courtesy...if they go that way. Hard to avoid Russia I would think.

Final thought: After so many years, and the expenditure of so much blood, and so much treasure, the US President is still not safe at the main US air base in that god forsaken place?

hka098

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 28):
Personally i'm just dumbfounded

Dude, I'm not sure how to respond to such an ignorant post, but i'll take a stab at it. Let me guess, you would rather him travel coach on American Airlines and take taxi cabs right? Never mind the fact that it makes him an easy target for assassination which, mind you, is the sole reason for the president to travel "extravagantly".

Why does the president need to travel? Should I answer this or refer it to a 2nd grader?

Dumbfounded? I am not surprised...

I'd rather the President NOT travel. The Vice President can do that. If he stayed at home, maybe he would be less of a target? I am not happy, as a taxpayer, funding this type of unnecessary activity. It costs the U.S. taxpayer millions each time the President travels. We need to cut government spending and travel is a great way to start.

No need to defer to a second grader. I have a feeling you would remain dumbfounded.

Aaron747

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Quoting hka098 (Reply 30):
It costs the U.S. taxpayer millions each time the President travels. We need to cut government spending and travel is a great way to start.

A great way to start is cutting Medicare fraud and $25 billion defense contracts for stuff we'll never use in the war on terror too. Don't see you talking about that stuff. This is small potatoes.

hka098

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 31):
A great way to start is cutting Medicare fraud and $25 billion defense contracts for stuff we'll never use in the war on terror too. Don't see you talking about that stuff. This is small potatoes.

I don't know enough about health care to make a comment either way. I do think defense-spending needs to be cut substantially. If it were up to me, I would seriously consider cutting the F-35, after review. That would be just a start. The Department of Homeland Security could easily be axed, or would that be too much?

Small potatoes can easily be thrown out.

futurepilot16

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Quoting hka098 (Reply 30):
Dumbfounded? I am not surprised...

I'd rather the President NOT travel. The Vice President can do that. If he stayed at home, maybe he would be less of a target? I am not happy, as a taxpayer, funding this type of unnecessary activity. It costs the U.S. taxpayer millions each time the President travels. We need to cut government spending and travel is a great way to start.

No need to defer to a second grader. I have a feeling you would remain dumbfounded.

Never mind, i'm not surprised to see another uninformed ignorant American complaining about what makes them unhappy. You people complain about the dumbest insignificant things, yet, if you were given a choice to live in Libya or in Iran, you would turn down the offer in a hot second.

Quoting hka098 (Reply 32):
I don't know enough about health care to make a comment either way. I do think defense-spending needs to be cut substantially. If it were up to me, I would seriously consider cutting the F-35, after review. That would be just a start. The Department of Homeland Security could easily be axed, or would that be too much?

Small potatoes can easily be thrown out.

I nominate you, Mr. hka098 as a presidential candidate for the 2012 elections. Since all the answers appear to be at your finger tips, and you sir are smarter than all these dumb politicians that can't see how easy it is to cut defense spending. Of course i'm sure if cutting the defense spending was easy, they would have done so already, but apparently, they're not smart enough to figure it out.......but you are.  

hka098

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 33):
I nominate you, Mr. hka098 as a presidential candidate for the 2012 elections. Since all the answers appear to be at your finger tips, and you sir are smarter than all these dumb politicians that can't see how easy it is to cut defense spending. Of course i'm sure if cutting the defense spending was easy, they would have done so already, but apparently, they're not smart enough to figure it out.......but you are.

Thanks but no thanks... I do not think it is a great idea to argue with idiots, but you seem willing. If you need an explanation why defense spending is not cut, then you need to do some research. Hint. Follow the money. Smarts has nothing to do with it (not that you would seem to know), rather than money. People know what needs to be done, they are just powerless to do so. If voting actually changed anything, it would be illegal.

Obama's visit to Afghanistan was pointless as were many of his other jaunts around the globe. Not to mention how ridiculous it is for one man to need such an entourage, two VC-25's, a few C-17's, helicopters, and motorcade wherever he goes. What is he hoping to accomplish with this visit? Will it help end the war? Will it fix the corruption in the Karzai government? Will it stop the flow of drugs in and out of Afghanistan? I think not to any of those questions.

futurepilot16

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Quoting hka098 (Reply 34):
Thanks but no thanks... I do not think it is a great idea to argue with idiots,

WOW, name calling now. I embrace being an idiot. If by idiot you mean I don't make assumptions on domestic and foreign policy as well as monetary and spending policy when I haven't got a clue what's going (like you do) then i'm an idiot.

People know what needs to be done, they are just powerless to do so. If voting actually changed anything, it would be illegal.

As I said dude. If we as Americans know the right answer to solve all our problems wouldn't we overthrow the government and make you, Mr. hka098, our dear leader?

Obama's visit to Afghanistan was pointless as were many of his other jaunts around the globe. Not to mention how ridiculous it is for one man to need such an entourage, two VC-25's, a few C-17's, helicopters, and motorcade wherever he goes. What is he hoping to accomplish with this visit? Will it help end the war? Will it fix the corruption in the Karzai government? Will it stop the flow of drugs in and out of Afghanistan? I think not to any of those questions.

All I can do is laugh, and give thanks that you have absolutely no say in what goes on in the white house, and even with that amazing intelligence  , you probably never will.

hka098

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:04 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 35):
All I can do is laugh, and give thanks that you have absolutely no say in what goes on in the white house, and even with that amazing intelligence , you probably never will.

Great. I am glad for you, that you are amused. Dude...

Still, no one can refute any claim I have made. Some just add sarcasm and little else. I also never claimed to have wanted to be in charge. I wouldn't take the President's job for anything. As a taxpayer and veteran, I do think I get a say. If not just to voice my opinion while that is still legal. I just said that the President's latest visit was fruitless and unnecessary. I added to that notion, Presidential travel is a waste of taxpayer dollars.

[Edited 2010-12-04 15:10:01]