DocLightning
Topic Author

The Pedantic Thread

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:51 am

The purpose of this thread is to be pedants.

Go ahead, corect someone's speeling.

Point out that their using the wrong homonym.

Call them on their choice to boldly split an infinitive!

And definitely don't let anyone get away with starting a sentence with a conjunction.

Or... let them get away with finding new and interesting prepositions to end sentences with.

Have fun!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Quokka

RE: The Pedantic Thread

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:46 am

One of my favourites is mixing the third person singular with the third person plural possessive pronoun due to PC. For example, the customer has lost their ticket. "The customer has" is singular but "their" is plural. Because we are no longer allowed to use "his" or "her" we mangle the language.

Airstud

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:00 am

I don't think that's about political correctness, I think that's just one of the problems posed by our language's lack of a third-person singular gender neutral pronoun for non-inanimates.

English also lacks a second-person plural pronoun (this function used to be served by "you" whilst "thou" was singular, "thou" got phased out, don't ask moi why...). So currently (yes Doc, that's how I started this sentence) we are faced with appalling constructs like "Can I get youguys's fax number?"

This is why I heartily endorse use of "y'all." It really does serve an important grammatical function.

Also Doc, FWIW, the Oxford English guide officially blesses use of split infinitives.
Pancakes are delicious.

Quokka

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:44 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 2):
I don't think that's about political correctness, I think that's just one of the problems posed by our language's lack of a third-person singular gender neutral pronoun for non-inanimates.

But why do we need to be gender neutral? PC says that we should but is inconsistent. If we wish to be gender neutral there is no reason why we can't use "its" in place of "their". That would appear more logical to me but I appreciate that language and logic are not the same.  

mbmbos

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:40 pm

It's drivel, dammit! Not dribble.

I've seen so many A-netters use dribble to call an argument silly or meaningless I'm beginning to wonder if they're having bathroom problems.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

seb146

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:07 pm

The one thing I do not like about the English language is we have to say "yous" or "y'all" if I am speaking to a group but do not want to be included in said group. I run into this all the time in other threads. In Spanish, it is classified as "ustedes."

Dangling participles and infinitives also bother me....
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

AR385

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):

And what is that?

WestWing

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:18 pm

This is the sort of arrant thread up with which we ought not put.  

I still find the the use of "was like" for "said" irritating. (e.g., She was like "OMG are you for real?" ).
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

fridgmus

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:20 pm

The purpose of this thread is to be pedants.

Go ahead, corect someone's speeling.

Point out that their using the wrong homonym.

And definitely don't let anyone get away with starting a sentence with a conjunction.

Or... let them get away with finding new and interesting prepositions to end sentences with.

Doc, I think the world of you, but, what the hell are you talking about? Maybe a translation for those of us who don't have some advanced education?   

"Y'all be sweet now, y'hear!"
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

N801NW

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:29 pm

The use of "payed" for "paid" has been irking me.

san747

Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:25 pm

I find this whole thread shallow and pedantic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QguWdSsI8S8
Scotty doesn't know...

IH8BY

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Also Doc, FWIW, the Oxford English guide officially blesses use of split infinitives.

It remains better to avoid it if at all possible. I would only split an infinitive if I thought it would prevent a more serious error of grammar or style. It particularly annoys me when people split the infinitive with many words ("to even more seriously wind me up").

Also, * is an asterisk, not an asterix. Asterix is a French cartoon character!
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

ANITIX87

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:06 pm

I've been waiting for a thread like this for a long, long, long, long time. Gives me a chance to rip on all the people who grind my gears with their awful English usage here. (And yes, I mean native English speakers, as I very often see these from them more than anyone else).

Here are the things I hate most...

1) "Could of" or "Should of.": It's COULD'VE or COULD HAVE, people!!!! I can't tell you how often I see this and it drives me absolutely bonkers. It just makes you seem uneducated (and me seem pedantic, which is the theme of this thread, after all!)

2) "For all intensive purposes.": It's "For all INTENTS AND PURPOSES." A purpose cannot be "intensive".

3) "I could care less.": It's "I COULDN'T care less!" If you could care less, that means you DO care a little bit. So you're saying the complete opposite of what you mean!

4) "Your", "You're": Please, please, please just think about this if you write it. It's one of the easiest things in English. And it makes you seem, again, uneducated if you can't do it right.

I'm sure I'll think of many more as I read these forums (and, funnily enough, this thread)...

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:18 pm

I hate when I see people, primarily from England, using the work "whilst." Drives me nuts!
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

ANITIX87

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 13):
I hate when I see people, primarily from England, using the work "whilst." Drives me nuts!

Why? It's an accepted form of the word, and has the same meaning. It's just as common, and it's the American language that has diverged from it. It's actually the more formal literary version. That's like a British person saying he or she (happy, Quokka??) doesn't like Americans using "truck" instead of "lorry". It's just that dialect's version of the word.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

TheRedBaron

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:56 pm

I think the photo speaks for itself...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

vikkyvik

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:09 pm

These are the two mistakes that bother me the most on A.net:

Here, here! Doc has made grammatical errors a mute point!

Quoting san747 (Reply 10):
I find this whole thread shallow and pedantic!

Hmmm, yes, shallow and pedantic!

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 12):
"For all intensive purposes.": It's "For all INTENTS AND PURPOSES." A purpose cannot be "intensive".

That one is freaking hilarious. I don't know from where people got "intensive purposes."

1) "Could of" or "Should of."

Ugh.

3) "I could care less."

That one doesn't bother me at all. One could say that it is sarcastic.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Yellowstone

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
And what is that?

English infinitives consist of two words: "to run," "to be," "to write," etc. It's considered by many to be improper grammar to place other words between "to" and the verb, which is said to split the infinitive.

3) "I could care less.": It's "I COULDN'T care less!" If you could care less, that means you DO care a little bit. So you're saying the complete opposite of what you mean!

English comedian David Mitchell has a nice rant about this, pointing out that "I could care less" only means that you don't care not at all. It allows for all possible levels of caring besides the one you actually meant.

The other one he points out: it's "hold the fort," not "hold down the fort." What is it, some magical inflatable hover-fort that's going to drift away if there isn't someone there to weight it down?

Quoting WestWing (Reply 7):
I still find the the use of "was like" for "said" irritating. (e.g., She was like "OMG are you for real?" ).

Ah, but "was like" and "said" have different connotations. "Said" is the baseline, vanilla-flavored version of the word. It signals merely that the speaker is going to recount the words someone said, with no indication as to the style or manner of that repetition. "Was like" implies that the speaker is going to act out what the speaker, literally, "was like," complete with mannerisms, accent, inflection, etc.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

Hywel

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 pm

seb146

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:43 pm

"Could of" or "Should of.":

And, let's not forget "A whole nother." When did "nother" become a word?

"Your", "You're":

Their, there, they're....

Also, what about the use of contractions and apostrophies? Or the word "nuh-uh" instead of "no."

Kent350787

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Not that it happens too often here, but the use of "phase" rather than "faze" as in " I was really fazed by that" or "that doesn't faze me". Perhaps it's not misused here as most of us know what phases are?

aloges

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 19):
apostrophies

What's an apostrophy? Something you win after winning something else?   
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

BAViscount

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Oooh I could go on for hours, but it's late and I have to pack for a business trip, so:

"A lot" not "Alot". Allot is a word, alot is not.

"The proof is in the pudding". My blood boils whenever I hear people say that. It's "The proof of the pudding is in the eating", which makes so much more sense!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

Jetsgo

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:33 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 14):

That's all fine and dandy, however it's not used out here and therefore I'm not used to it. It's like the great soda/pop debate. And btw, it's SODA.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

EI320

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:58 am

English also lacks a second-person plural pronoun (this function used to be served by "you" whilst "thou" was singular, "thou" got phased out, don't ask moi why...). So currently (yes Doc, that's how I started this sentence) we are faced with appalling constructs like "Can I get youguys's fax number?"
Quoting seb146 (Reply 5):
The one thing I do not like about the English language is we have to say "yous" or "y'all" if I am speaking to a group but do not want to be included in said group. I run into this all the time in other threads. In Spanish, it is classified as "ustedes."

In Ireland, we simply use "Ye" (pronounced "Yee").

Eg. Why are ye all posting on a.net?

Much easier than "yous" or "y'all" or whatever else is used.

The obvious problem that has resulted from it's widespread oral usage in Ireland is that many people are now using it as part the written language (unaware of the fact that it's incorrect).

[Edited 2010-12-12 17:02:30]

bookishaviator

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:01 am

The abuse and misuse of apostrophes drives me mad, although not nearly as much as Textese...

For example:
C u l8er / 2nite / 2moro

Is it really all that difficult and/or time-consuming to construct grammatically sound text messages, using correct spelling? Yes, I realise we all lead 'busy' lives in this age of constant demand, but surely a few extra characters isn't going to KILL YOU?!

K. Thnx. Bye.
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

Quokka

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:19 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 14):
saying he or she (happy, Quokka??)

Yes, thank you. It's not so hard after all.  
Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 25):
but surely a few extra characters isn't going to KILL YOU?!

This could be a hangover from the 80 character limit on SMS. Messages containing more than 80 characters are (were?) split into two or more, resulting in multiple charges.

Another common mistake is using "its" in place of "it's" or "it's" where "its" should be used.

n229nw

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:46 am

WHEN PEOPLE SAY "X AND I" INSTEAD OF "X AND ME" when X and Me is actually correct:

Examples:

"A picture of my wife and I"
"Just between you and I"

Most grammar mistakes don't bother me, but for some reason this one does because it comes off as someone trying to be pretentious rather than just making an honest mistake. Like some overzealous English teacher who didn't actually understand English grammar corrected them--incorrectly--when they were little...

People seem shocked that there is a simple rule: take away the other pronoun or word, and see what is correct: A picture of ME (not I, "me" is the object of the preposition "of"), so a picture of my wife and ME, etc.

English only really has two cases, subject and object, and only for pronouns, so it shouldn't be so difficult to use them correctly.

Thanks, Doc, for letting me be pedantic!
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

CXB77L

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:52 am

Here are the things I hate most...

1) "Could of" or "Should of.": It's COULD'VE or COULD HAVE, people!!!! I can't tell you how often I see this and it drives me absolutely bonkers. It just makes you seem uneducated (and me seem pedantic, which is the theme of this thread, after all!)

2) "For all intensive purposes.": It's "For all INTENTS AND PURPOSES." A purpose cannot be "intensive".

4) "Your", "You're": Please, please, please just think about this if you write it. It's one of the easiest things in English. And it makes you seem, again, uneducated if you can't do it right.

Says it all, really. This would be my list, too.

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 25):
The abuse and misuse of apostrophes drives me mad, although not nearly as much as Textese...

For example:
C u l8er / 2nite / 2moro

I refuse to reply to text messages written like this. When the writer calls up to ask why I haven't replied, my response would be "I couldn't decipher it".

Quoting n229nw (Reply 27):
WHEN PEOPLE SAY "X AND I" INSTEAD OF "X AND ME" when X and Me is actually correct:

Examples:

"Just between you and I"

This one irks me too.

Just to clarify:

"My wife and I went to the beach today."
"Bob and I went to the pub for a drink."

However, it is more gramatically correct to end a sentence with "me" rather than "I":

"This is a picture of my wife and me."

Another thing that annoys me is the confusion of its and it's:
Its = belonging to it
It's = it is

Using apostrophes in the wrong places also appear to be quite common, unfortunately. There is never an apostrophe in the plural form of a word:

CDs, DVDs, videos, tomatoes, potatoes, buses ... etc.

To pluralise an acronym, simply add a lower case 's' at the end of the acronym.

To pluralise a word ending with a vowel, the general rule is to add -es, but 'videos' is one exception I can think of, perhaps there are others.

To pluralise a word ending with s, simply add -es: bus => buses.

To pluralise a word ending with y, change the y to an i and add -es: democracy => democracies.

[Edited 2010-12-12 22:53:26]
Boeing 777 fanboy

bookishaviator

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:09 am

I also find the use of "off of" quite irksome.

For example, why say "Freddy jumped off of the ladder" when "Freddy jumped off the ladder" is perfectly understandable? If you insist on adding words to a sentence unnecessarily, at least use "from" in place of "of".

[Edited 2010-12-12 22:10:49]
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

HSVXJ

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:56 am

I grew up all over the US but spent twenty years in Alabama, so I'm used to different dialects. In fact, although I teach English you might hear me say, "Y'all are fixin' uh git me ill," more than twice. (Translation from Southern/Appalachian- You people are making me angry.) Philippine English is really... precious. I've noticed that it seems to be closer to British English than American English. When I'm speaking to other native speakers, I have a pretty thick southern accent. When I speak to native speakers of Pilipino, I switch to the local dialect. When I'm teaching, my grammar is quite proper and is spoken with a "standard" American accent.

I agree with most of the above statements, but one that really gets me is the use of LOOSE for LOSE. Stop. Now. No more. Although losing fifty pounds may make your skin loose, you didn't loose that weight.

I try never to spit infinitives. The only time I ever do is when using an adverb to really emphasize the verb. I think it just sounds awkward when an infinitive is split while expressing negation (to not go, to never lose.)

Another thing that, well, kind of irks me is the writer forgetting to use a possessive before a gerund. A writer's using a possessive just sounds correct to me, although I know that I'm bordering on nit-picky. It's not my fault, however. It's the result of my having a complete English Grammar Nazi my senior year in high school. She wouldn't let us use the word "thing" under any circumstances.

Prepositions are funny things, and seem to confuse the hell out of native Pilipino speakers. Their language really has only one generic preposition, so they have a bit of trouble deciphering one from another. It's funny to see signs on the highway reading, "Stay On Your Lane," or being told to "Fill up this form." Fellow teachers from the Philippines would say, "Open your book ON page..." I taught them that the normal American usage would be TO, while using ON would be correct when saying, "Open your book ON the table." Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Brits tend to use AT, so I also let them know that there really is no concrete correct and incorrect when using prepositions.

Finally, as an old English professor told me, grammar or language is never wrong, it is merely incorrect.

(All grammatical errors in the preceding post were intentional.)

Chris

[Edited 2010-12-12 23:06:50]
Nature forms us for ourselves, not for others; to be, not to seem.

HSVXJ

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:45 am

Quoting Quokka (Reply 1):
One of my favourites is mixing the third person singular with the third person plural possessive pronoun due to PC. For example, the customer has lost their ticket. "The customer has" is singular but "their" is plural. Because we are no longer allowed to use "his" or "her" we mangle the language.

The reason this is used is not always due to PC. Before coming out of the closet, a lot of gay people get to be really good at being non-gender specific by using the third person plural pronoun. It sounds awkward, but it's a way to avoid letting something slip while still not telling a lie. And (yep, I know that ain't right), as was stated earlier, English doesn't have a more appropriate alternative.

Chris
Nature forms us for ourselves, not for others; to be, not to seem.

MasterBean

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:46 pm

I was going to post this in the snow snow snow thread but then realised it was quite pedantic so here we go. Road tax, it doesn't exist hasn't for about 70 or so years. You pay for a tax disc thing depending on how much CO2 your car emits, then the money goes into a big pot to pay for the bloody scots to go to uni for free. Anyhow, enough of my rant.

Quokka

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Quoting MasterBean (Reply 32):
the bloody scots to go to uni for free.

As we are being pedantic, that's "bloody Scots to go to uni free of charge."  

It occured to me that you could have posted this in the other thread on the student riots too.  

WrenchBender

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:16 pm

The plural of "Aircraft" is "Aircraft" not "Aircrafts".
You are on "Short Final" not "Short Finals".
Your aircraft is parked in a "Hangar" not a "Hanger".

Just a few that really irk me.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

IMissPiedmont

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Also, when someone says "Me and my friend....." Do you ever want to slap someone upside the head?
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

akiss20

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Love the show Topgear but what irks me to no end is when they say "RPMs" and "Torques"

RPM = RevolutionS per Minute, aka the plural is already there!!!

Also an engine doesn't "have torque" it produces torque!
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

ronglimeng

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:30 pm

I don't think I am being pedantic here by suggesting that none of the examples here are truly examples of pedantry, i.e. the narrow and often ostentatious use of rules.

It doesn't kill anybody to run spell check here but it seems so many people can't be bothered. Typographic errors can happen even amongst the educated. It used to be that the uneducated were embarrassed by their condition and I don't see what was wrong with that.

I certainly wouldn't criticise anybody here using English as a second language, and I overlook most communication mistakes of the careless and uneducated. But we should all try to be as correct and as accurate as possible -that's not really being pedantic or anal!

(I'll check this over and I hope I haven't made any mistakes.)

seb146

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:40 pm

It also bothers me that texting language has creeped it's way into everyday language. "omg becky wtf was she thinkin with that shirt here is the pic nsfw  " Uh.... what?

n229nw

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 28):
However, it is more gramatically correct to end a sentence with "me" rather than "I":

Technically, of course, it doesn't matter where in the sentence the part comes. It is about whether the pronoun is the subject or object of the phrase or sentence. So:

"For me and him, that would be better" is correct, whereas, "For he and I, that would be better" is totally incorrect and pretentious sounding on top of that...   

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 35):
Also, when someone says "Me and my friend....." Do you ever want to slap someone upside the head?

As I said, that one doesn't bother me so much, because of course, they SHOULD say "me and my firend" if they say that it is "a pticure of" me and my friend or "She bought flowers for" me and my friend. "I" would be incorrect in these situations, because the pronoun is the OBJECT of the prepositions "of" and "for" in these cases. (i.e. you say "for me" not "for I").

When people say "Me and my friend went to the store" it doesn't annoy me because it just sounds like a conversational grammar mistake, but on the other hand, when they say "Between him and I" I want to slap them upside the head because they are _trying_ to sound all fancy, but don't understand the actual rules...(Indeed, in that last example, they are even mixing cases, since him is objective and I is subjective...)

OK, I'm done...I'd apologize for being so pedantic about this, but that is the point of the thread after all...   

ANITIX87

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 36):
Love the show Topgear but what irks me to no end is when they say "RPMs" and "Torques"

I agree about the RPMs. But the use of "Torques" is intended satirically, I believe. Just like when Jeremy Clarkson once said, "This car has 700 torques. That's THIS MANY torques!" and held out his hands about 2 feet apart.

Same as when Jeremy says, "The internets" or things like that.

TIS

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:21 pm

RPM = RevolutionS per Minute, aka the plural is already there!!!

In much the same vein, it irks me when people say "ATM Machine." Glad you clarified that an Automated Teller Machine is a Machine!

Quoting HSVXJ (Reply 30):
(All grammatical errors in the preceding post were intentional.)

What about the spelling error?

Quoting HSVXJ (Reply 30):
spit infinitives

Examples:

"Just between you and I"

I think the major reason for that mistake is that, at least when I was in elementary school, using "___ and I" instead of "____ and me" in the subject of a sentence was stressed as being extremely important. The proper occasions to use "____ and me" were not discussed with nearly as much emphasis.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Yellowstone

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 39):
I want to slap them upside the head because they are _trying_ to sound all fancy, but don't understand the actual rules...

Relative pronouns are another good trap for that. For example, a lot of people might try to show off their mastery of who vs. whom with a sentence like "Give that toy to whomever wants it," thinking that "whomever" is the object of "to." It's not, of course - it's the subject of the clause "whoever wants it."
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

JBirdAV8r

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:44 pm

This is, like, totally such an awesome thread; like, it's totally awesome.

Anytime I see/hear a restaurant advertising a dish served "with au jus" it makes my skin crawl.

"That is a rule up with which I will not put." (attributed to Winston Churchill) It's not so bad to end some sentences with prepositions.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

mirrodie

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:49 pm

He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless steaming pile of cow dung, figuratively speaking.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

n229nw

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 41):
I think the major reason for that mistake is that, at least when I was in elementary school, using "___ and I" instead of "____ and me" in the subject of a sentence was stressed as being extremely important. The proper occasions to use "____ and me" were not discussed with nearly as much emphasis.

Exactly...but that is because so many teachers actually don't understand the grammar they are supposedly teaching. They are just teaching kids to "sound more educated"...somehow I find that disturbing...

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 42):
Relative pronouns are another good trap for that. For example, a lot of people might try to show off their mastery of who vs. whom with a sentence like "Give that toy to whomever wants it," thinking that "whomever" is the object of "to." It's not, of course - it's the subject of the clause "whoever wants it."

And I've seen worse: "Do you know whom will come to dinner?" etc.   

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 41):
In much the same vein, it irks me when people say "ATM Machine." Glad you clarified that an Automated Teller Machine is a Machine!

Translations can often cause funny redundancy too. In Los Angeles, everyone talks about "the La Brea tar pits" which translates to "the the tar tar pits"...I always loved that...

[Edited 2010-12-13 11:41:38]

akiss20

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:55 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 40):

I agree about the RPMs. But the use of "Torques" is intended satirically, I believe. Just like when Jeremy Clarkson once said, "This car has 700 torques. That's THIS MANY torques!" and held out his hands about 2 feet apart.

Same as when Jeremy says, "The internets" or things like that.

TIS

I agree sometimes it is used satirically but he often will use the word when simply describing stats of the car "With 500 BHP, producing 250 torques" or whatever. Even worse there is that he uses torque as if it were a unit! Use NM or if you must *shutters* ft-lbs
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

IMissPiedmont

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:58 am

Quoting n229nw (Reply 39):
they SHOULD say "me and my firend

No, you never say "me and....." anything, correct grammatical structure is to put yourself in a subordinate position. The correct saying is "That is a picture of my friend and me".
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

vikkyvik

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:14 am

Quoting n229nw (Reply 45):
Translations can often cause funny redundancy too. In Los Angeles, everyone talks about "the La Brea tar pits" which translates to "the the tar tar pits"...I always loved that...

To be fair, that is the actual name of the tar pits:

http://www.tarpits.org/

So it's not really the common Los Angeleno's fault.

san747

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:31 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 43):

"That is a rule up with which I will not put." (attributed to Winston Churchill) It's not so bad to end some sentences with prepositions.

Let Robert Stack clarify this for us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4XCZfkGF8k
Scotty doesn't know...