This is where Assange will be living if granted bail, it say's here:

http://www.ellingham-hall.co.uk/elli...am-hall.com/galleries/thehall.html

Here:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101214...-uk-wikileaks-assange-ca02f96.html

He's now on bail it seems  

hka098

RE: Wikileak's House

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:57 pm

He has been granted bail, but the Swedish prosecutors challenged the ruling. This will keep Assange in the pokey for another 48 hours, at least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11989216

gosimeon

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Wonder if they have good Wifi for him to take down the world with  

hka098

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:22 am

He is in solitary confinement and must be going mad with no Internet access for a week now.

ozglobal

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:32 pm

He is making Britain, Sweden and the US look like pariah states: in solitary confinement, refused bail and not yet charged with any crime. Whatever freedom these countries seek to protect with secrecy they have already sacrificed and sold out in their treatment of this guy. I'm sure he is no angel, but even more certainly the hypocritical states are utter frauds of democracies...
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

noelg

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm

He has not even been allowed incoming mail. The treatment this country, and the US and Sweden, are giving to this guy is absolutely appalling.

Here is what is going to happen:

1) The UK will bend over and Assange will be extradited to Sweden (incidentally on a charge that the Swedes have never once considered serious enough for extradition)
2) While in custody, the US will want him extradited to the US on espionage charges.
3) Sweden will bend over and Assange will be extradited to the US where they will finally have their hands on him.

This is already planned by the respective governments, just watch the events of the next few weeks.

It really is disgusting how, in supposedly free countries, this sort of behaviour is carried out by our governments. It's democracy, but only if you agree with them.

Also makes me wonder exactly what is coming in the next 99.5% of the documents that haven't been released yet - must be something pretty serious for this sort of treatment, what are they worried about?

Quokka

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Quoting noelg (Reply 5):

All the while, the various states will make it appear that everything is being done by the book.

Let us be honest; if the UK Government wanted to earn brownie points they would have kidnapped Assange before he could surrender to the police. That way he could have been "renditioned" or whatever the today's fashionable euphemism for taken to "justice" via Egypt or some other country that practices torture. He may have gone to Guantanamo, had the US been serious in describing him as a "terrorist". None of that has happened.

I do not doubt for a minute that the UK, Sweden and the US would like to see him "disappear" but he is in the media spotlight and that makes it difficult to resort to "covert operations" or whatever today's fashionable euphemism is.

airtran737

Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Quoting noelg (Reply 5):

I would much rather just have him shot in a public area and made an example of.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

hka098

Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 7):

For what? Sexual assault doesn't carry that type of sentence, besides Sweden doesn't have the death penalty. The U.S. has yet to file charges, release and indictment, file a law suit, or even say which law he broke. At least the government filed law suits against the NY Times and the Post for the Pentagon Papers.

janmnastami

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 6):
Let us be honest; if the UK Government wanted to earn brownie points they would have kidnapped Assange before he could surrender to the police. That way he could have been "renditioned" or whatever the today's fashionable euphemism for taken to "justice" via Egypt or some other country that practices torture. He may have gone to Guantanamo, had the US been serious in describing him as a "terrorist". None of that has happened.

None of that has happened because it's impossible to do that with a well-known person.

ozglobal

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Quoting noelg (Reply 5):

Where are American tastes for the right to due process and fair trial? This man is not even the subject of an identified infringement of any US law, nor is he a US citizen, nor has he been active in the US, nor has anyone accused him of stealing any US secrets. Yet, you are ready to have him shot as "an example". An example of what, the American taste for a 'scalp', a scapegoat for its own dirty intrigues, leaked by US citizens themselves, being shown the light of day?

hka098

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 10):
Where are American tastes for the right to due process and fair trial?

Not all Americans share the same opinion of Mr. Assange.

doug_or

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Where are American tastes for the right to due process and fair trial?

That stuff was always such a PITA anyway.

An example of what, the American taste for a 'scalp', a scapegoat for its own dirty intrigues, leaked by US citizens themselves, being shown the light of day?

Pretty much

This man is not even the subject of an identified infringement of any US law, nor is he a US citizen, nor has he been active in the US, nor has anyone accused him of stealing any US secrets.

BLOOOOOOD!!!!11 We want blooooooooooood!
When in doubt, one B pump off

jetblueguy22

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Where are American tastes for the right to due process and fair trial? This man is not even the subject of an identified infringement of any US law, nor is he a US citizen, nor has he been active in the US, nor has anyone accused him of stealing any US secrets. Yet, you are ready to have him shot as "an example". An example of what, the American taste for a 'scalp', a scapegoat for its own dirty intrigues, leaked by US citizens themselves, being shown the light of day?

In cases like this we have no desire for it. Americans hate anything that puts security at risk especially if it puts our soldiers at risk. If the only way we can stop him is by taking him out a lot of Americans will supprt it. However unfortunate it is. We will use him as an example if we have to. He with the aid of a military official stole secret documents. That is not legal and I think maybe we need to show that to people so they understand that. We aren't using him for a scapegoat. Assange isn't exactly what you call 'innocent' of any wrong doing.
On another note I found it ironic that Assange wanted the home where he would be staying kept confidential!
BLUE
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

mbmbos

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:57 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 13):
Assange isn't exactly what you call 'innocent' of any wrong doing.

And what wrong doing has he been proven guilty of?

jetblueguy22

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 14):
And what wrong doing has he been proven guilty of?

He hasn't been proven guilty in a court of law. But he has made it clear he has posted secret government documents which would be illegal.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

QANTAS077

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 15):
He hasn't been proven guilty in a court of law. But he has made it clear he has posted secret government documents which would be illegal.

precisely what the NYT has done too...

racko

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:30 pm

So have, among others, the New York Times, The Guardian, Der Spiegel, and about a million other news organizations before them.

jetblueguy22

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Quoting qantas077 (Reply 16):

They also have lawsuits against them. So its not like this is the first time this is happening.
Blue

GDB

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Why not take a trip to Iran, seems you'd like it there. Or in Afghanistan 1995-2001 when the Taliban used the Kabul football stadium to execute those they just did not like.
(Do you even KNOW what yours and Allied troops are fighting for?)

In cases like this we have no desire for it. Americans hate anything that puts security at risk especially if it puts our soldiers at risk. If the only way we can stop him is by taking him out a lot of Americans will support it.

Then they should grow up. Give ONE proven example where any of the leaks has undamaged any US forces?
(Showing some doing things like being careless with helicopter cannon fire on Iraqi civilians does not count - presumably those affected are well aware of it since it happened).
Much less leaks of diplomatic cables that so far have been little more than foreign affairs gossip, the net effect so far has not even shown the US in such a bad light.

The contents of the diplomatic cables have been in the hands of wiki-leaks and some papers for months, during that time they were vetted for any dangerous information - aside from anything else the last thing they'd want is to be implicated in causing deaths, then they really would be in trouble and rightly so.
(That's called proper scrutiny and good journalistic practice, since those are words not associated with FOX I guess that might be a new concept for some).

Maybe not allowing 3 million US citizens access to these cables, having very poor security generally, might have helped.

All this blood lust emanating from the US, including from some politicians, seems to show on the part of those espousing state sponsored murder for political reasons a very fragile ego and a deeply ingrained paranoia.

jetblueguy22

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 19):
Then they should grow up. Give ONE proven example where any of the leaks has undamaged any US forces?
(Showing some doing things like being careless with helicopter cannon fire on Iraqi civilians does not count - presumably those affected are well aware of it since it happened).
Much less leaks of diplomatic cables that so far have been little more than foreign affairs gossip, the net effect so far has not even shown the US in such a bad light.

How would you be able to prove any of the documents killed someone? They did release battle tactics several months ago and that is what is hurting. Not these cables that just say stuff most Americans knew in their guts. But just because people had a feeling doesn't mean its okay to release them.

Quoting GDB (Reply 19):
(That's called proper scrutiny and good journalistic practice, since those are words not associated with FOX I guess that might be a new concept for some).

Why bring up FOX? Like seriously just because people have a bad view on the guy they watch FOX? I watch the nightly news and the BBC.
Blue

mbmbos

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 15):

Really? Can you show me the law that makes it illegal?

jetblueguy22

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:30 pm

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 21):
Really? Can you show me the law that makes it illegal?

What he has done is said to be covered under the Espionage act of (I believe this is the year. But don't hold me to it.) 1917.
Blue

mbmbos

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:34 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 22):
What he has done is said to be covered under the Espionage act of (I believe this is the year. But don't hold me to it.) 1917.

I won't hold you to it because it is very unlikely he can be charged under the Espionage act. First, he's not an American citizen. Second, many legal scholars have weighed in on this and say it would be close to impossible to prosecute him under this act not to mention creating a terrible precedent if they tried.

There's a whole misinformation about Assange and Wikileaks. Disliking the guy or disliking what he has done does not mean he's guilty of a crime, a candidate for prosecution or deserves calls (not from you) that he be assasinated.

ozglobal

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:00 pm

In cases like this we have no desire for it. Americans hate anything that puts security at risk especially if it puts our soldiers at risk. If the only way we can stop him is by taking him out a lot of Americans will supprt it.

If so, then once again, the American public are sheep and stooges of their corrupt politicians, more than ready to tear up their constitution, sacrifice their values and fall in behind lies and acts of murder in their name...All one has to do is play the patriot card and they are reduced to mindless putty in the hands of of war criminals.

ozglobal

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:18 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 18):
Quoting qantas077 (Reply 16):

They also have lawsuits against them. So its not like this is the first time this is happening.
Blue

Being consistent and having the courage of your convictions, you will of course also insist on the public execution of the editor of the NYT as well as those of other major news agencies...?

Oh, wait. Isn't that just what the Taliban would do? Glad the US is "better" than them....

jetblueguy22

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 24):
If so, then once again, the American public are sheep and stooges of their corrupt politicians, more than ready to tear up their constitution, sacrifice their values and fall in behind lies and acts of murder in their name

Trust me we aren't sheeps of our politicians. There has been a lot of anger towards them and the midterm elections proved that people don't just do as they're told. Something the rest of the world doesn't seem to think.

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 25):
Being consistent and having the courage of your convictions, you will of course also insist on the public execution of the editor of the NYT as well as those of other major news agencies...?

Oh, wait. Isn't that just what the Taliban would do? Glad the US is "better" than them....

I think that they should be arrested and tried just like Assange. Hell try em for treason I don't care. I just wanted to see our secrets, well secret. First of all we wouldn't execute the guy. Thats a sure bet. I believe it is horrid that you compare us to the Taliban. The Taliban kills innocent people or for minor infractions. We don't want the guy because he has an outstanding parking ticket. He released secret documents, which doesn't make him an innocent man.
Blue

ozglobal

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:17 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 26):
I believe it is horrid that you compare us to the Taliban

It's the behaviour inquestion which is horrid. I'm comparing the attitude of those Americans calling for the execution without trial (many have, including on this forum) of someone who makes public your dirty intrigues to the Taliban to underline how, in this behavior, they are closer to the Taliban than their own constitution.

Yellowstone

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:46 pm

There has been a lot of anger towards them and the midterm elections proved that people don't just do as they're told.

Really? Almost every single person elected in the midterms belonged to one of the two most powerful, most deeply entrenched political factions in the nation, and that shows that people don't just do as they're told?

Sure, people are angry at their government, but as a whole they aren't doing a damn thing about it except whining.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

ozglobal

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:06 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 28):
Sure, people are angry at their government, but as a whole they aren't doing a damn thing about it except whining.

And in the case of the populist, ignorant majority, so easily manipulated by fear of fake threats to their way of life, they return the right wing nut jobs who are the very same that are calling for the assassination of Assagne without trial. Based on these appauling midterm freakshows, you got the government you deserve and you are accountable for their actions.

GDB

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 20):
How would you be able to prove any of the documents killed someone? They did release battle tactics several months ago and that is what is hurting. Not these cables that just say stuff most Americans knew in their guts. But just because people had a feeling doesn't mean its okay to release them.

No life threatening battlefield and/or intel information can be shown to have been released, if it had, I'm sure the powers that be would make this very clear rather than just releasing general statements attacking wikileaks.
If some of what has been released - such as that infamous helicopter video - makes some uncomfortable, that might be no bad thing.

I did read through - in newspaper form - a wikileak showing one day in Iraq in 2006 (hardly new then).
Listing all the combat/insurgency activities and deaths, it was horrifying, the day in question was not a good one for the US forces but it was (typically) a far worse one for Iraq civilians. Many clearly non combatants, the scale of murder against them was horrifying - mostly carried out by insurgents to be fair, however it gave a snapshot - blood splattered - of what GWB had unleashed in 2003 and what he and his government never planned for.
Again, if that makes uncomfortable reading, good.
Though I guess the average bumper sticker, flag on the porch patriot will blame the messenger, they don't give a flying one and never have done, of those caught up in that war through no fault other than where they live.

Technology made these leaks inevitable, it's like the Popes and Cardinals railing against the newly invented printing press in Europe certuries ago.

jetblueguy22

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 28):
Really? Almost every single person elected in the midterms belonged to one of the two most powerful, most deeply entrenched political factions in the nation, and that shows that people don't just do as they're told?

If people did as they were told why did people fight the healthcare bill? They were being told it was best for them. What a flock of sheep  . People vote for one of the two parties because thats basically all there is unless you want extreme views. People are doing things. The problem is all of the power is in the hands of the politicians. They don't listen. Thats why we elected new people. Thats the only place where we have power.

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 29):
And in the case of the populist, ignorant majority, so easily manipulated by fear of fake threats to their way of life, they return the right wing nut jobs who are the very same that are calling for the assassination of Assagne without trial. Based on these appauling midterm freakshows, you got the government you deserve and you are accountable for their actions.

Ah the right wing nut jobs! Those jerks that want to cut government spending and repeal a flawed healthcare bill (both though certainly unlikely to be accomplished). What politicians are calling for his assassination? Because I've only heard of charging him with a crime. Not all republicans are all ready to go and light people up, contrary to popular belief.

Quoting GDB (Reply 30):
Technology made these leaks inevitable, it's like the Popes and Cardinals railing against the newly invented printing press in Europe certuries ago.

I understand they are inevitable. But that doesn't make them right.
Blue

Mudboy

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Quoting janmnastami (Reply 9):
None of that has happened because it's impossible to do that with a well-known person.

Prisons can be dangerous places........

The man and his treasonous pawn, are enemies of the state, as far as the USA is concerned.

hka098

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 32):
The man and his treasonous pawn, are enemies of the state, as far as the USA is concerned.

As far as YOU are concerned, you mean. I support Wikileaks and their efforts to shed light on the U.S. Government's web of lies. Why should I support a government that couldn't give a rat's a$$ about me, or it's people?

janmnastami

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 32):
Prisons can be dangerous places........

The damage for the public image of the U.S.A. would be enormous.

I think that they should be arrested and tried just like Assange.

If you really believe that New York Times and other media's journalists should be arrested for doing their job, you don't deserve to live in the U.S.A.

Venezuela or Russia are perfect for you.

KPDX

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Quoting janmnastami (Reply 34):
The damage for the public image of the U.S.A. would be enormous.

I don't think the public image of the United States will ever be good again. It's unrepairable imo.

"Damn if you do, damn if you don't" comes to mind.

[Edited 2010-12-19 11:03:17]
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

jetblueguy22

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Quoting hka098 (Reply 33):
I support Wikileaks and their efforts to shed light on the U.S. Government's web of lies. Why should I support a government that couldn't give a rat's a$$ about me, or it's people?

What lies?

Quoting janmnastami (Reply 34):
If you really believe that New York Times and other media's journalists should be arrested for doing their job, you don't deserve to live in the U.S.A.

Venezuela or Russia are perfect for you.

Okay there is a difference between doing your job and breaking the law. What they are doing is breaking the law. We might as well say we can't arrest drug dealers because they are just doing there job! I am perfectly comfortable in the USA thank you very much.
Blue

janmnastami

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:57 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 36):
What they are doing is breaking the law.

What law is he breaking, in your opinion? Assange hasn't been found guilty of anything.

Perhaps you don't remember what happened in 1971 with the New York Times and the Pentagon Papers.

mbmbos

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:22 am

What they are doing is breaking the law.

You keep repeating this line even though several people on this board have challenged you. And you haven't followed through with a cogent response.

What's up with that?

hka098

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:00 am

What lies?

The war in Iraq, Guantanamo Bay, Extraordinary Rendition, "Change we can believe in", No audits for the Federal Reserve, etc...

jetblueguy22

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:31 am

Quoting janmnastami (Reply 37):
What law is he breaking, in your opinion? Assange hasn't been found guilty of anything.

Perhaps you don't remember what happened in 1971 with the New York Times and the Pentagon Papers.
Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 38):
You keep repeating this line even though several people on this board have challenged you. And you haven't followed through with a cogent response.

What's up with that?

I'm sorry I thought I did address it. I believe he violates the Espionage act of 1917. You and others seem to disagree with me but I believe he is in direct violation of the act.

Quoting hka098 (Reply 39):
The war in Iraq, Guantanamo Bay, Extraordinary Rendition, "Change we can believe in", No audits for the Federal Reserve, etc...

The war in Iraq is of course a fake. Can I ask what the lie with Gitmo and the rest is?
Blue

mbmbos

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:45 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 40):
You and others seem to disagree with me but I believe he is in direct violation of the act.

It matters not that I disagree with that. Read something. Anything. I repeat: you will find the majority of legal scholars in the U.S. say it would be next to impossible to successfully prosecute under this act and that it would set a terrible precedent for free speech, journalism, etc.

It's one thing to argue an issue, but to blithely ignore when others have challenged your argument makes your arguments look insubstantial to say the least.

jetblueguy22

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:57 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 41):
Read something. Anything. I repeat: you will find the majority of legal scholars in the U.S. say it would be next to impossible to successfully prosecute under this act and that it would set a terrible precedent for free speech, journalism, etc.

It's one thing to argue an issue, but to blithely ignore when others have challenged your argument makes your arguments look insubstantial to say the least.

I did read what you said. Many scholars say that it would be tough to charge him but there is also plenty saying it is possible. Even Assange said he is afraid that he is going to get charged. I haven't ignored your challenged I said what I believed he could be charged with a while ago. I think free speech is a tough topic with this though, there is a limit. Any speech that can be seen as harmful isn't protected by the first amendment.
Blue

hka098

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 40):

The war in Iraq is of course a fake. Can I ask what the lie with Gitmo and the rest is?
Blue

Gitmo: The torture and unconstitutional treatment for those detained for years without charges or trial.

Rendition: The kidnapping of folks suspected of terrorism, flying them to another country to a secret prison for captive water sports. Then, denying the whole thing. (Par for the course for the CIA).

The Fed: No audit system or practice exists for the institution that controls U.S. monetary flow. How could we even see if they are cooking the books? Some politicians are trying REAL hard to hide something in there.

Change we can believe in: Although President Obama has done a great deal in a short time, he still has yet to live up to many of his campaign promises. He swore off lobbyists in his administration. Promised to get the U.S. out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Iraq is a work in progress, but there is not sign of U.S. involvement in Iraq ending any time soon.

GDB

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 31):
I understand they are inevitable. But that doesn't make them right.
Blue

Would you want to live in a world still at the whim of Popes and Cardinals?
We would not be communicating this way for a start, wouldn't have been invented - or allowed to be as well as much else since the enlightenment.

Wikileaks have merely raised a curtain, a lot is not surprising, a lot does not make the US look so bad, some does, which leads me to wonder if the real objection is more about dispelling a simplistic view of the world some may have.

hka098, I understand the current President pledged to reinforce the US contribution to Afghanistan.

hka098

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:23 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 44):
hka098, I understand the current President pledged to reinforce the US contribution to Afghanistan.

Sweet   

jetblueguy22

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:20 pm

Quoting hka098 (Reply 43):
Gitmo: The torture and unconstitutional treatment for those detained for years without charges or trial.

I thought prisoners of war didn't have the same rights?

Quoting hka098 (Reply 43):
The Fed: No audit system or practice exists for the institution that controls U.S. monetary flow. How could we even see if they are cooking the books? Some politicians are trying REAL hard to hide something in there.

Change we can believe in: Although President Obama has done a great deal in a short time, he still has yet to live up to many of his campaign promises. He swore off lobbyists in his administration. Promised to get the U.S. out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Iraq is a work in progress, but there is not sign of U.S. involvement in Iraq ending any time soon.

Well the Fed does needed to be audited but you don't need a leak to prove that. I believe Obama's change is great on paper but just like the tea partiers that just got elected he didn't realize that some of the stuff he promised is tough or lmost impossible to deliver.
Blue

hka098

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:22 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 46):

I am quite sure the Geneva Convention prohibits torture.

Well the Fed does needed to be audited but you don't need a leak to prove that. I believe Obama's change is great on paper but just like the tea partiers that just got elected he didn't realize that some of the stuff he promised is tough or lmost impossible to deliver.

A leak may shed light on what is actually going on there. A politician not following-through on his/her promises is not an excuse. Why would the Fed or any other government branch care what we want? The U.S. Govt. fears only those benefactors that have the greatest financial impact on their re-election campaigns. We the people do not factor in to that equation.

Dreadnought

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:22 am

Assange is now complaining that somebody leaked the police report related to his arrest.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12...wikileaks-assange-im-victim-leaks/

I have soooo much sympathy.   
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Quokka

Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:27 am

The US deliberately refused to recognise the prisoners as prisoners of war and labeled them terrorists and "enemy combatants" so as not to be bound by the Geneva Convention. Had they been accepted as POWs the whole saga of challenges in the Supreme Court may have been avoided. However, if you intend to torture people you can hardly offer them the protection of the Geneva Convention.