lxa333

Good/Decent Hotels In London For New Years

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Hey guys I am looking for a hotel to stay at while I am visiting family(they have typical small london flats so I wish to not bother them) and I am looking at some grad biz schools! Does anyone know of a "good priced hotel" close to the City of London financial district? I would be willing stay someplace else if its worth it. Even the worst Marriotts and Hiltons are overpriced. It would also help if the hotel awarded miles on BA. Thanks in advance.
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline

noelg

RE: Good/Decent Hotels In London For New Years

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:25 pm

There's a good Travelodge on Liverpool Street, close to the city. Also a nice Premier Inn at Tower Bridge, again a 5 min walk. They are the cheapest decent hotels in the area, but I guess even they will be expensive on New Years Eve. Check out travelodge.co.uk and premierinn.com, you can't really go wrong (apart from the Travelodge at Kings Cross).

Vmcavmcg

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Try www.wotif.com There are some fairly decent hoetls at good rates. However, you might have trouble getting a "deal" at New Year's Eve.
If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane!

signol

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:37 pm

lastminute.com has some rooms in London, seems like some decent quality rooms start at £130.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:35 pm

This is actually the perfect example of when to use Priceline. Learn how to bid using free rebid zones to let you rebid multiple times per session at betterbidding.com. A couple of years ago, a friend was often getting London hotels at the pound rate, but in dollars (like a £150 room would cost him $150 instead).

Also ask at your workplace (or by your profile, perhaps your parents' workplace), if their corporate travel agent could get you a room. The arrangement we have with ours is that they'll make personal hotel reservations for free, since they receive a commission, and we get the corporate discount for personal travel (helps to maintain the volume for the discount). I tested it out once, and they returned a price for a Marriott in London a good £20 less per night than the absolutely lowest rate I could find anywhere online, including the last minute sites and Kayak.

(I'd gather a good agent could swing a sweet deal at the Crowne Plaza-The City over New Year's. That area shouldn't be seeing a single business traveler of any means, but rooms still have to be rented.)
International Homo of Mystery

ozglobal

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:11 am

You do realize your asking for a golden unicorn to appear without advance planning and in the worst hotel client's market on earth?

One tip: try Club Quarters, St Paul's, right in middle of the financial district.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.