2707200X
Topic Author

Things That Have Become Obsolete This Decade

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:19 pm

I have read an article on the Huffington Post on things that have become obsolete in the past decade.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1...ings-decade_n_800240.html#s2010848

Do you agree on some of the things that have become redundant like VCR's, travel agents, Encyclopedias, CD's and phonebooks you consider other things like classifieds, maps and calling a part of the future?
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

B6JFKH81

RE: Things That Have Become Obsolete This Decade

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:14 pm

Watches are obsolete? I have always loved the look of a nice watch, and I wear one every day. I own at least 3 nicer watches to go with my outfits for work, and another 2 watches to wear out and about. Has anyone else completely done away with watches here? I'm kinda curious now LOL!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

MrChips

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 1):
Watches are obsolete? I have always loved the look of a nice watch, and I wear one every day.

Agreed. Watches are an important part of any well-dressed man's wardrobe - besides, using your cellphone as a timepiece is kind of stupid and maybe even a little bit rude.

Here's a couple of things that have become obsolete, or will be shortly - the dial tone, and the "snow" on your TV.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

Tugger

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 2):
Watches are an important part of any well-dressed man's wardrobe

Well that's the point, watches are not needed anymore, they are now equivalent to cuff links, just a part of a persons wardrobe. I haven't worn a watch regularly for years (only for reasons of "show") and nowadays you don't have to because every cell phone has one.

Quoting 2707200X (Thread starter):
phonebooks

They are somewhat obsolete however I have found that I do need to keep one around as I don't always want to restart my computer to look up something (of course I bet many people never turn of their computer). The other thing related to phone books that is almost obsolete is the Address Book (physical version) but I have had instances recently where I was stuck due to a power outage and an internet outage and couldn't contact people because I couldn't "look them up".

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Jetsgo

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:12 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 3):
They are somewhat obsolete however I have found that I do need to keep one around as I don't always want to restart my computer to look up something (of course I bet many people never turn of their computer). The other thing related to phone books that is almost obsolete is the Address Book (physical version) but I have had instances recently where I was stuck due to a power outage and an internet outage and couldn't contact people because I couldn't "look them up".

Do you have a cell phone?  

Per the article, I completely disagree that calling has become obsolete. Has it been reduced? Sure, but not obsolete. I'm on the phone multiple times a day for both work and personal use despite the fact I have an Android on my hip and internet/email in front me me all day long.

In the next ten years I see TV as we know it and personal desktops becoming obsolete. Google TV and/or Apple TV will shape the future of streaming TV, as opposed to grossly overpriced and inefficient cable/satellite/fiber optics. Desktops will lose their value as portable devices such as laptops/netbooks/tablets/smartphones continue to increase in capabilities and popularity.

[Edited 2010-12-22 16:16:38]
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

photopilot

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:41 am

I simply don't understand people who don't wear watches and use their cellphone, etc to tell the time.

I can be walking along with both hands loaded up with stuff, roll my wrist over and read the time. You just can't do that with a cellphone. A cellphone is just so darn inconvenient to use as a timepiece. No class at all, IMHO.

Jetsgo

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:04 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 5):

How often are both of your hands loaded up with stuff to the point where you would actually need a watch at that exact moment to tell time? Not often at all, I would imagine. Watches are on their way out because they are redundant and cost money. There is nothing unclassy about checking the time on your phone, unless of course you're doing it at a time where checking your watch would be considered rude as well.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

LH459

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:41 am

travel agents

Nope, I'm definitely not obsolete, and the agency where I work is always busy!   
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

DocLightning

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:51 am

Agreed. Watches are an important part of any well-dressed man's wardrobe - besides, using your cellphone as a timepiece is kind of stupid and maybe even a little bit rude.

And inconvenient. I don't wear my phone on my wrist. It's hard to use my phone as a timepiece when I'm seated on a crowded train or something.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

2707200X
Topic Author

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:53 am

I am surprised they have not mentioned newspapers as the number of subscriptions has declined but I still like newspapers.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Quokka

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:02 am

Simple itineraries may best be booked online, but some tour companies still only sell their products through travel agents. Travel agents can be of immense help in organising complex itineraries involving several destinations.

A telephone call may often be more a effective way of getting things done than email. With email you have no way of knowing whether it has been read or acted upon until the addressee responds. If you are phoning someone to say that you will be late to lunch it's probably safer than relying on email. After-all the addressee may have already be in the car and driving to the restaurant.

Bookstores have some life left in them. Sometimes it is just easier to have two or more books open side by side when looking up references. Another benefit is that books don't have batteries that go flat or need to be recharged. People said books would become obsolete when the film/ movie industry grew. The reverse happened as people went out to buy the "book of the film of the book." Ordering something online is convenient but like many people I prefer to physically check out a book before I buy it.

Mir

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:33 am

I haven't worn a watch regularly for years (only for reasons of "show") and nowadays you don't have to because every cell phone has one.

A simple look down at the wrist is a hell of a lot easier and faster than reaching into a pocket, pulling out a phone, looking at it, and then putting the phone back into the pocket.

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 6):
There is nothing unclassy about checking the time on your phone, unless of course you're doing it at a time where checking your watch would be considered rude as well.

You're in a darkened theater, and you want to know the time. In order to get the time from your phone, you'd probably have to turn the backlight on, which is distracting to everyone around you. Whereas the luminescent hands on your watch are still visible, and disturb nobody.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

FighterPilot

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:34 am

I think it's a poorly written article... there are many items on that list that are still commonly used frequently in daily use. Here's just a few I think are not obsolete.

CDs: May not be used as often with the advent of the MP3 player, but almost all vehicles still have a CD player and if it doesn't have a aux input for a MP3 player you have no choice but to use CD's. From time to time I still burn, or buy a CD I really like, so I have something to listen to while driving.

Watch: They are still used everyday by millions of people. Some jobs may discourage you from having you cellphone on you while working or the job may not allow for it. ie It's in the way in your pocket etc. So the only alternative is a watch. Where I'm currently employed I don't carry my cell phone while on the job incase it gets broken or smashed when I'm working.

Maps: Probably my biggest objection. Tell any pilot that maps are obsolete and we'll just laugh at you. By law we have to have them on us while flying. But it's not just pilot who use maps everyday, geologists, surveyors... Now your probably saying well what about people who don't use maps for their profession? Do you think a hiker always has cellphone reception while out hiking?

There are some things I agree with though. They may not be 100% obsolete, but I agree with VCRs, film cameras and Faxs to a certain degree.
Anyway, that's my   .

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

Mir

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:50 am

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 12):
Maps: Probably my biggest objection. Tell any pilot that maps are obsolete and we'll just laugh at you. By law we have to have them on us while flying. But it's not just pilot who use maps everyday, geologists, surveyors... Now your probably saying well what about people who don't use maps for their profession? Do you think a hiker always has cellphone reception while out hiking?

I don't have a GPS in my car. I still manage to get where I'm going, because I look at maps, both before I go and while enroute.

They may not be 100% obsolete, but I agree with VCRs, film cameras and Faxs to a certain degree.

VCRs yes. Film cameras I'm not sure about - they've certainly moved into a market niche, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're obsolete. And strangely enough, I've had people tell me that a email with a scanned document attached isn't acceptable - they need a fax.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

tz757300

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:10 am

Maps: Probably my biggest objection.

Likewise. I can tell you from working in the industry that it is actually a growing industry, especially with online mapping.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

soon7x7

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:54 am

Watches will at no TIME disappear...they are as much a fashion statement as well as an essential tool of life. Pick up Robb report magazine, Stratos, Elite...what is the #1 item in publication ads?...watches. I can see Warren Buffet checking his cell phone to get the time...yeah...right...
Want a gorgeous scenic shot of the Grand Canyon, one that will enhance your living room wall with a 30"x40" black and white print. Go buy an "old" Victor Hasselblad medium format camera and shoot away. Quality will never become obsolete...it will always be there for those that seek it, as for the rest..."automatons"...well, my land line is ringing...gotta go!

seb146

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:22 am

aux input for a MP3 player

It irritates me that some cars have an iPod dock instead of a generic MP3 input. Not everyone has or wants an iPod.

I think radios are becoming obsolete. I have Sirius/XM sattelite radio. I listen to it way more than I listen to radio. Most people listen to their MP3s or CDs in the car or commuting.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Superfly

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:34 am

This article is poorly written.
Yes watches, film and maps are still in.
Travel agents are still widely used outside of North America.
Still the best place to get deals here in Asia.

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 9):
I am surprised they have not mentioned newspapers as the number of subscriptions has declined but I still like newspapers.

The article mentioned newspapers classifieds being taken over by Craigslist.

I guess I am the oddball because I still have a land line, use 35mm film, own a watch and still use VHS tape.
I do however have a cellphone, digital camera and have a DVD player as well.
Oh, I also have a 21" CRT computer monitor.  
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:45 am

Does anyone remember the CRT display? Haven't seen one in a while, have you? Yet as recently as five years ago, you could still buy them.

How about the floppy disk? In 2000, the 3.5" format was still in use. I don't even know if they're made anymore...

The standard incandescent bulb (not halogen or arc) is vanishing rapidly, replaced by fluorescent tubes and LED's. I predict that by 2020 we will no longer see fluorescent tubes, as the life, efficiency, and flexibility of LED's is fully realized.

In aviation, several significant obsolescences occurred. The L-1011, DC-10, 732, and 742 saw the end of passenger use in all but a few esoteric markets. GPS replaced LORAN (IIRC), too.

The CD as a means of data storage and transfer is not yet obsolete, but as a means of music playback it essentially is. Nobody carries portable CD players anymore. Any CD is immediately ripped into electronic format and played back on an MP3 player.

I think that as thumb drives get cheaper to manufacture and get higher capacity, we will see them become the dominant form of removable media. An 8GB thumb drive at Radio Shack last week was ~US$20. The cost per GB approaches that of the DVD, and a thumb drive is much more durable.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

KPDX

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:51 am

Brains. (Mine included)

View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

Cadet985

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:54 am

Watches are obsolete? I have always loved the look of a nice watch, and I wear one every day. I own at least 3 nicer watches to go with my outfits for work, and another 2 watches to wear out and about. Has anyone else completely done away with watches here? I'm kinda curious now LOL!

Within the last year, I bought 2 nice watches, and I wear one every day. It just seems weird to pull out my cell phone just to check the time. I agree with others. Watches aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Marc

Superfly

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:26 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
Does anyone remember the CRT display? Haven't seen one in a while, have you? Yet as recently as five years ago, you could still buy them.

Umm excuse me but I just bought an IBM 21" CRT monitor 3 months ago.
Ok I bought mines used but the model I bought is still in low rate production.
It coast a whopping $1,369.00 ! ! ! !

http://www.serverpartswarehouse.com/...M-FLATSCREEN-MON-BLK-P1380429.aspx

How about the floppy disk? In 2000, the 3.5" format was still in use. I don't even know if they're made anymore...

The 3.5" floppy drive is still in production.
Very few use them but they come in handy for transferring old files from a 3.5" floppy.

The standard incandescent bulb (not halogen or arc) is vanishing rapidly, replaced by fluorescent tubes and LED's.

Don't get me started on those!
That really irks me too when I see nice buildings convert to these cheap fluorescent tubes!
I had to rip the owners of the Embarcadero Center (Boston Properties) at Yelp.com for this very reason.
Bring back the Concorde

Ken777

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:52 am

Does anyone remember the CRT display?

Since replacing the CRTs and tube TVs in our house we have seen a drop in the electric bill.

The standard incandescent bulb (not halogen or arc) is vanishing rapidly, replaced by fluorescent tubes and LED's.

And that is the other major area where we have cut the electric bill.

Nobody carries portable CD players anymore.

I believe that the LEDs will be the real winners when they are available at a reasonable price.

Superfly

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:41 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 22):
Since replacing the CRTs and tube TVs in our house we have seen a drop in the electric bill.
Quoting Ken777 (Reply 22):
And that is the other major area where we have cut the electric bill.

I know CRTs and 100 watt standard incandescent bulbs cost more to run but I like the true color picture quality of my CRT and I don't like the dim light the fluorescent tubes give off.
Bring back the Concorde

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:16 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
Umm excuse me but I just bought an IBM 21" CRT monitor 3 months ago.
Ok I bought mines used but the model I bought is still in low rate production.
It coast a whopping $1,369.00 ! ! ! !

Whaaaaaa??? I just bought a 58'' plasma TV for less than that - with free shipping, no less!

Why the hell did you buy a CRT?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

bohica

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:18 am

Maps? Obsolete? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Tell that to Mapquest or Google Maps. Also on your GPS unit, what is that shown on the screen? Yes, a map.

While a VCR may be obsolete, I still have one and it does the job it was intended: Taping programs while I'm away so I can play it back later.

Watches are not going away anytime soon.

My 2.1 megapixel camera is obsolete. That thing is twice the size and twice the weight of my current 7 megapixel camera which I'm sure some will say is obsolete as well.  

Fax machines are not obsolete yet. Many businesses still give out their fax numbers.

Catalogs are not obsolete. My mom used to get tons of them in the mail while she was still alive. I'm still getting them though. 99% of them end up in the trash.

Superfly

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:34 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 24):

I'm talking about my computer monitor.
Yes I know there are a few large flat screen comouter monitors but I needed something quick when I first moved here to Bangkok.
I found a barely used IBM Thinkvision 21" CRT for only 1500THB ($45USD).
Can't get any of those new flat screens near that price.
Also I like the true color and unlimited viewing angles of the CRT versus the new flat screen monitors.
My monitor was made Dec. 2004. It sat in a corner most of it's life at some government agency.

As for television sets, I'll still stick with CRT.
I'll buy a large 35" CRT used.
Mainly because I only watch older movies which look better on CRT, even when they've been digitally remastered on DVD.
I don't need the latest & great flat screen to watch some lame @ss reality TV.
The few new movies that are good look just fine on a CRT tube. The older movies look terrible on the new flat screen TVs.
Bring back the Concorde

Stabilator

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:57 am

Instant messaging. (AIM/MSN) I think texting has taken place of that for me.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

BMI727

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:57 am

Quoting bohica (Reply 25):
Maps? Obsolete? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

They tend to come in handy when you have a rental car with a nav system in a language they don't understand. Even when using my phone to navigate I almost always eschew the turn by turn feature and use it as a map.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

NWAESC

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:34 am

Anyone that works in a time sensitive occupation (you know, like aviation) will still have a need for a watch. Many carriers don't allow phones at the gates and/or ramp...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

offloaded

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Quoting LH459 (Reply 7):
Nope, I'm definitely not obsolete, and the agency where I work is always busy!

I'd say those that survived the great internet arrival and airline commission cuts, adapted and are doing ok now. A lot of corporate biz returned to TMCs / agents in recent years and a lot never actually left.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

Revelation

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:18 pm

using your cellphone as a timepiece is kind of stupid and maybe even a little bit rude.

Stupid? LOL!

These days the right cellphone is more of a fashion statement than the right watch.

That may depress you, but hey, grandpa's pocket timepiece went out of fashion too.

BTW how fidgety are you folks that you have to keep looking at the time?

Can't you folks get the time from a fixed device (wall clock, car's clock, computer's clock, cockpit's clock, etc) and keep decent track of time in your head without having to keep looking at your watch?

The only timepiece I routinely carry is my cell phone, but I never find myself taking it out to look at the time.

I find a watch is uncomfortable to wear while typing, like I'm doing right now. Yes, this means I have poor typing style, but very few people I know actually type in the style you would have learned in a typing class.

The only time I wear a watch is when I am going hiking, where knowing the time is truly a necessity, and where one should not depend on cell signals.

phonebooks

They are somewhat obsolete however I have found that I do need to keep one around as I don't always want to restart my computer to look up something (of course I bet many people never turn of their computer).

I keep them around because I like to see the ads in the yellow pages to quickly learn about the services on offer. I find the computer services tend to bring up too many services far from my home, and tend to not really be as informative as the good old yellow pages. But that's about it.

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 9):

They mentioned that all forms of paper are becoming obsolete. As an engineer, I find I still prefer reading important technical documents on paper, so I can mark them up, and index them with postits, and keep them in a binder on my shelf. I still can find a reference in a document in a binder on my shelf much quicker than I can find a given paragraph in a PDF on my computer.

Quoting Quokka (Reply 10):
Bookstores have some life left in them.

I was just at the local Barnes and Noble and the crowd was huge. I used to read books daily, but now I find most of that time is spent surfing the web, so my spending on books is way down. But I still love to find a good book and read when on vacation etc.

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 15):
Want a gorgeous scenic shot of the Grand Canyon, one that will enhance your living room wall with a 30"x40" black and white print. Go buy an "old" Victor Hasselblad medium format camera and shoot away. Quality will never become obsolete...it will always be there for those that seek it, as for the rest..."automatons"...well, my land line is ringing...gotta go!

Nice.

BTW I hope you also know how to develop that medium format film.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):

Yep, I guess the article does have a NA bias.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

casinterest

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 31):
Can't you folks get the time from a fixed device (wall clock, car's clock, computer's clock, cockpit's clock, etc) and keep decent track of time in your head without having to keep looking at your watch?

I agree with Revelation here. I haven't warn a watch since High School other than to keep time while jogging (Pre Iphone) . If I am in a place where I can't find the time, then I am in a place where I don't care about the time. I sit in front of a PC all day, so that may be the difference, but a great deal of the workforce sits in front of PC's these days. As far as a fashion statement, maybe all the Metro's out there care, but as a working father I could care less about a watch making a fashion statement.

Other item on the outgoing list, albeit a proxy of the VHS, is the Video Store. I can't tell you the last time I walked into a video store. Redbox and Netflix are the way to go nowadays.

Checkbooks: I do not use written checks unless it is an absolute necessity. Most of my payments are done with Cash, debit, credit, or paypal.

Paper Account statements: For account balancing I use Mint.com which tracks all of my accounts in real time, so I don't have to wait a month to find out if I am close or have overextended my credit.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

daedaeg

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 32):
I agree with Revelation here. I haven't warn a watch since High School other than to keep time while jogging (Pre Iphone) . If I am in a place where I can't find the time, then I am in a place where I don't care about the time. I sit in front of a PC all day, so that may be the difference, but a great deal of the workforce sits in front of PC's these days. As far as a fashion statement, maybe all the Metro's out there care, but as a working father I could care less about a watch making a fashion statement.

Other item on the outgoing list, albeit a proxy of the VHS, is the Video Store. I can't tell you the last time I walked into a video store. Redbox and Netflix are the way to go nowadays.

I know few people that wear watches. I always hated them. They're uncomfortable and leave an imprint on my wrist. I get DVD's in mail, but still go to the video store. It's nice being able to exchange a DVD you got in the mail for one in the video store, rather than wait for another one to come in the mail. Plus I just like browsing the store. But it has become less common for most people to go to the video store.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

IMissPiedmont

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Has anyone else completely done away with watches here?

I quit wearing a watch when I was about 12 years old.

Watches are an important part of any well-dressed man's wardrobe

That is just silly, a watch is nothing but an affectation, totally unneccessary.

Quoting photopilot (Reply 5):
I simply don't understand people who don't wear watches and use their cellphone, etc to tell the time.

I don't understand why people don't know what time it is without looking at jewelry.

Sorry guys, this is one man that thinks watches are pretty much useless glitter. And no, I don't pull out my cell phone to tell the time, I don't even carry one of those around with me.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

cgnnrw

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:19 pm

I disagree watches, fax machines and travel agents are on their way to obscurity.

Believe or not a fax machine can be very helpful and much more convienent and quicker than scanning documents and sending them by email. What if your pc has crashed or don't have the recipient's email, or they don't have access to email or a printer? I can't imagine any business not having a fax machine even if it isn't used as much it was 10 years ago.

Yes any fool can book a roundtrip NYC-LHR flight and rent a car online but many of those same fools are suddenly helpless when something goes wrong like bad weather, a strike, etc. My expirience has shown a good travel agent can be priceless. My former employer used a travel agent to book all our student flights (over 700 a year) and they really did take a lot of work off our hands.

Watches obsolete? Yea, just like engagement rings, wedding rings and other pieces of jewelry will some day be "obsolete". At least a watch actually has a function unlike most other jewelry.
A330 man.

Superfly

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:50 pm

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 35):
just like engagement rings, wedding rings and other pieces of jewelry will some day be "obsolete"

I can't wait to see the day that those over-value useless objects become obsolete.

At least a watch actually has a function unlike most other jewelry.

Agreed!

Yes any fool can book a roundtrip NYC-LHR flight and rent a car online but many of those same fools are suddenly helpless when something goes wrong like bad weather, a strike, etc. My experience has shown a good travel agent can be priceless. My former employer used a travel agent to book all our student flights (over 700 a year) and they really did take a lot of work off our hands.

I am still finding the best deals via travel agent on premium airlines.
I've got bargain basement prices on Thai Airways, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific. Every time I've got a cheaper rate than that discount carrier Air Asia.

Yep, I guess the article does have a NA bias.

Not only that, a hipster, pin-headed, techno freak bias. I have a feeling this writer belongs to that Apple/Mac cult. Notice the placement of the Mac laptop in that home office photo?
This writer is probably thinks of themselves as a hip, too cool for school hipster that has money to go out and buy the latest fad. They probably drive a Toyota Prius too.

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 34):
I quit wearing a watch when I was about 12 years old.

Was it a Batman decoder watch?  
Quoting daedaeg (Reply 33):
I get DVD's in mail, but still go to the video store. It's nice being able to exchange a DVD you got in the mail for one in the video store, rather than wait for another one to come in the mail. Plus I just like browsing the store. But it has become less common for most people to go to the video store.

Independent video stores that specialize in cult, independent films and international films still do very well.
Bring back the Concorde

Moose135

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Maps? Obsolete? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Tell that to Mapquest or Google Maps. Also on your GPS unit, what is that shown on the screen? Yes, a map.

Apparently reading has become obsolete also. If you read the text that went along with the picture, you would have seen:

Quote:
GPS devices keep getting cheaper, smaller, and more portable. We have GPS in our cars and on our phones. We use mobile maps for everything from cross-country trips to tracking down restaurants, and employ services like Google Maps and Mapquest to give us customized routes. Asking for directions, carrying around paper maps, and even getting lost are all increasingly obsolete.

They were specifically talking about paper maps and the way they are being replaced by GPS, MapQuest and Google Maps.

Of course, I still wear a watch (to tell time, not as a fashion statement) and record television shows on a VCR...

[Edited 2010-12-23 08:14:10]
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

daedaeg

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Quoting moose135 (Reply 37):
record television shows on a VCR...

Wow, who does that in 2010? Why not use DVR like us normal people?
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

falstaff

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:24 pm

While a VCR may be obsolete, I still have one and it does the job it was intended: Taping programs while I'm away so I can play it back later.

I don't have cable or satellite so that means that DVR is not an affordable option. It is darn near impossible to get a DVR that will work off the air, there are some, but they are expensive. The good ole' VHS tape works great for recording programs, while I'm away, so I can watch later.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):
I can't wait to see the day that those over-value useless objects become obsolete.

Me too!

35mm film is still around and still has a niche market. I like it and use it a lot, I also use 120. The school where I teach added a film photography class two years ago and it is always full. The kids love film and use it as an art medium. I have a 'gallery" filled with great photos and every one of them is from film. Good lenses and good cameras make a photo every bit as good as digital. I also have a 10mp point and shoot digital and still none of my pictures are good enough for a.net. I have had dozens of film photos published in some magazines over the last few years, including three in a recent issue of the American Breweriana Journal. That always bugs me that my work is good enough for the print media, but not good enough for a.net.

I was recently taking photos at a work event with my 1968 Leica, Leicaflex SL and I was talking with the professional photographer that was there. He was young and said he never learned how to use a film SLR, let alone one that was fully manual, like my Leica, with only an electric light meter. I took him over to my office and classroom and showed him my best work, which is hanging on my wall. He was amazed at the quality and detail of the prints I had taken, some of which I took when I 14.

Nobody should talk about obsolete technology with Superfly and I. We like all the classics...

I still use a film strip projector in my classes. It is on the same cart as my data projector. I have several films that are just as good as the day they were made. My 1976 film about Auto Shop safety, by Ford Motor Company, is great. Shop safety hasn't changed, plus the kids like the thing because it has cool cars and groovy music in it. They pay attention to it because it is unusual, if it were a modern DVD, they would sleep through it. I also have a 1972 Brake theory film, that explains the principles of hydraulic and how to bend and flare brake lines. My 1963 Ford film about how a four stroke engine works is also very useful.

I have a movie from 1945 about the proper use of wrenches and screwdrivers. The kids love it and it is still just as useful today as it was in 1945. Using screwdrivers and wrenches the correct way was not changed and never will.

There is a big difference between obsolete and outmoded.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

fridgmus

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
This article is poorly written.
Yes watches, film and maps are still in.
Still the best place to get deals here in Asia.

Independent video stores that specialize in cult, independent films and international films still do very well.

Totally agree guys, especially Fly's statement the the article was poorly written, VERY poorly written. I still use a travel agent when I get my leave from work, which is overseas and she's fantastic at finding me the best fares. I like wearing a watch, I work for a multi-billion dollar company that does a lot of Govt/Military work and when I'm in the US and go to our US office for our business unit, I'm not allowed to bring a cellphone inside most areas. And we still use fax machines a lot as well. I use a map a lot, but am gradually going to GPS, but I will always have a map as a backup. I keep plastic coated maps of whatever area I'm headed to on my Harley in my saddlebag. And sometimes transferring data on CD's is a better option for me.

While I have an Amazon Kindle and love it, sometimes I miss having an actual book or magazine to easily go back to look at something again.

And those Independent video stores are a treasure trove of hard to find movies. I'm still looking for a DVD copy of the movie "Escapade in Japan" about a shipwrecked American boy lost in Japan where he meets up with a local Japanese boy and their travels together. It's from the early 60's and I have several independent video stores trying to find it for me, so far no such luck. Any advice on that anyone?

Merry Christmas or whatever you want to call it and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

ER757

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 pm

I remember seeing a story on the news a few months ago that the largest manufacturer (Sony I think) quit production, but I think others still make them. I have a box of about 50, anyone want 'em?  
I keep them around because I like to see the ads in the yellow pages to quickly learn about the services on offer. I find the computer services tend to bring up too many services far from my home, and tend to not really be as informative as the good old yellow pages. But that's about it.

Same here - if I'm on my computer and need a phone #, I'll use Yahoo Yellow Pages etc, but sometimes I rely on the book for the reasons you state along with not wanting to start up the machine again just to do a quick ph # look up. Guess I'm old school/new school

LH459

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 30):
I'd say those that survived the great internet arrival and airline commission cuts, adapted and are doing ok now. A lot of corporate biz returned to TMCs / agents in recent years and a lot never actually left.

Exactly right. I work for a multinational TMC which focuses on small and medium sized enterprises. Our clients don't have the buying power to negotiate corporate contracts directly with the airlines, so working with us is a huge time and money saver.

I am still finding the best deals via travel agent on premium airlines.
I've got bargain basement prices on Thai Airways, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific. Every time I've got a cheaper rate than that discount carrier Air Asia.

Sounds like you've already found a good agency in BKK, but I can also recommend the company my former employer partnered with. PM me if interested.   
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 24):

I'm talking about my computer monitor.

I understand that - my point was simply that you can run your computer through any of the new flat-screen TVs.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Moose135

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Quoting daedaeg (Reply 38):
Wow, who does that in 2010? Why not use DVR like us normal people?

I'm a fossil... 
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

kanban

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:24 pm

concerning phone books.. there is a move to eliminate the white pages... and print only the yellow.. or charge for hard copy white pages. (however the 100 page directory for my county may stay around for a while since only 50% here have computers)

of course with 411.com you can find everything .. (well almost everything)

NoWorries

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:16 pm

It seems like many things obsolete at a faster rate than they used to. The incandescent light bulb lasted over 100 years -- and I still thing it's full spectrum is more eye-pleasing than CFL or LED lighting. How long will CFLs have lasted before they are completely displaced by LEDs. How long will it be before LED lighting is displaced by something else -- e.g. quantum dots, which have the potential to create a full spectrum of light.

I think wires will be around for a while. Things like blue-tooth will replace local wire clutter, fiber-optic will displace most communications wire -- but there's still good old electric power -- likely to be copper based for quite some time.

[Edited 2010-12-23 15:21:55]

ltbewr

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Some things that have become obsolete or have small sales or use from the past.:

Compact stereos and related portable 'boom boxes' with radios, CD's and cassette players.

Pre-recorded or even blank audio cassettes.

'Desktop' computers.

Conventional film cameras for most non-professionals.

Except for some public or special locations (like prisons) coin/pay phones.

Encyclopedias, dictionaries and related reference books.

Transportation coin tokens. Most replaced by magnetic cards or paper passes.

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 47):
Some things that have become obsolete or have small sales or use from the past.:

'Desktop' computers.

Hardcore gamers are going to jump your shit in 3...2...

Stabilator

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 48):
Hardcore gamers are going to jump your shit in 3...2...

Yep...I custom built my PC. Beats the snot out of an XBox and PS3, and I simply can't game on a laptop, they just aren't powerful enough. Desktops are still very relevant.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.