directorguy
Topic Author

IPod Nano 5th Gen Vs 6th Gen?

Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Greetings,
I've been an iPod junkie for years now, preferring the iPod nano for its compact size and mobility. I usually replace my nano every year. However, I decided to hold onto my 5th gen a I was a bit hesistant about the new 6th gen. Sadly I lost my iPod a few days ago. Question is-should I buy the 5th gen (some places still stock them) or the 6th gen? What I don't like about the 6th gen is its size (too small, easy to misplace), loss of clicker wheel, reportedly bad battery life and the fact that I can't use a cover to protect the iPod from inevitable scratches/falls etc.
As always, I turn to a.nutter conventional wisdowm on such matters.
Merry Xmas and a Happy 2011,
DG

fridgmus

RE: IPod Nano 5th Gen Vs 6th Gen?

Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:13 pm

I have a 6th Gen iPod and I'm "learning to like it. I like the "mini" touch features and really don't think the battery issues are that bad. I like the spring loaded clip too. I only use it at the gym though.

I don't know why, but Apple always takes a moth or two after a new model comes out before they put out protective covers.
I have a new iPod Touch and since it's thinner, there's no cover for it also.

Cheers,

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

mt99

Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:26 pm

I just got a 6 Gen Nano.. its OK.. there is no "Search" function, which would have been nice - but my biggest problem with it is that it is extremely small. I feel that it will be lost very easily
Step into my office, baby

Mir

Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:20 pm

I bought a 5th Gen Nano after the 6th Gen came out, because I didn't like the idea of a touch screen, I wanted to have the video camera, and mostly because I like holding it in my hand, and that's a lot easier with the 5th Gen than with the 6th Gen. I haven't used the 6th Gen, so I can't really comment on that, but I can say that I'm not at all regretting my decision.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LAXintl

Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:47 pm

I also purchased a 5th Gen after 6th was on the market.
Could not be happier with it, and prefer it over the 6th Gen touch screen which I got to try out on a friends. 5th Gen is compact enough and simply has a much nicer feel and user ergonomics for my taste.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

hka098

Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:53 pm

I'd go with a 5th gen. The 6th gen is nice, but lacks many of the features a 5th gen. has, like video camera, video playback. The use of the multitouch interface on such a small screen is tedious for folks with larger fingers (IMHO). The 6th gen. is a bit more fragile too.

TheRedBaron

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:10 am

I also think the 5 gen is better and more "manageable" than the 6 gen.

I bet Apple will relaunch the 5 form factor as they have done before.
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

directorguy
Topic Author

Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:40 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 2):
I just got a 6 Gen Nano.. its OK.. there is no "Search" function, which would have been nice - but my biggest problem with it is that it is extremely small. I feel that it will be lost very easily

This is true-already I'm forever misplacing sunglasses, USBs, iPods, my cell phone (not an issue since I can always call from another phone and find where it is). I feel the iPod nano was the perfect size anyway, able to fit into anything.

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 1):
I have a 6th Gen iPod and I'm "learning to like it. I like the "mini" touch features and really don't think the battery issues are that bad. I like the spring loaded clip too. I only use it at the gym though.

I read that it's the screen that drains away so much batt. power.

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
Quoting LAXintl (Reply 4):
Quoting hka098 (Reply 5):
Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 6):

Seems like the 5th gen. is pretty popular with a.nutters, even with the 6th gen version on the market

jwenting

Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:46 am

6th gen is too small. After having a Nano since the 1st gen, I decided on a discounted iPod Touch instead (couldn't get a 5th gen any longer).
I wish I were flying