JakeOrion
Topic Author

Vulture Arrested For Being An Israeli Spy

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:58 am

I wish I was making this up!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ies-Saudi-Arabia-arrested-spy.html

Quote:
Vulture tagged by Israeli scientists flies into Saudi Arabia ... and is arrested for being a spy
By Michael Theodoulou
Last updated at 9:06 PM on 4th January 2011

A vulture tagged by scientists at Tel Aviv University has strayed into Saudi Arabian territory, where it was promptly arrested on suspicion of being a Mossad spy, Israeli and Saudi media reported Tuesday.
The bird was found in a rural area of the country wearing a transmitter and a leg bracelet bearing the words 'Tel Aviv University', according to the reports, which surfaced first in the Israeli daily Ma'ariv.
Although these tags indicate that the bird was part of a long-term research project into migration patters, residents and local reporters told Saudi Arabia's Al-Weeam newspaper that the matter seemed to be a 'Zionist plot.'

If convicted, will this bring whole meaning to the phrase 'tarred and defethered'???
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

Quokka

RE: Vulture Arrested For Being An Israeli Spy

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:38 am

Reminds me of the Goon Show story about the Flea

Seagoon:
[shouting again] My lord! I object! I move that the flea's nationality be proven before this case proceeds!
Lord Chief Justice Spriggs:
Ah ha, will the flea, will the flea raise his right leg, and swear to tell the truth.

DocLightning

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 am

I wonder how the vulture will plea.

Is there any other country that allows an animal to be arrested?

I don't mean captured and put in a shelter/pound, but actually ARRESTED and charged with a crime? How do you try a vulture? What's it going to plea?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

jwenting

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 am

Egypt accused a shark in the Red Sea for being an Israeli spy sent to destroy the tourist industry.
Don't know if they tried to arrest it though.
I wish I were flying

CrimsonNL

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 2):
Is there any other country that allows an animal to be arrested?

I think a while ago India "apprehended" a dove and accused it of being a Pakistani spy? (It might have been vice versa) I hope the Vulture will get a state appointed lawyer and a fair trial.

IMO news like this really ruins the credibility of a country..

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

einsteinboricua

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Wow...may we have a repeat of the Greece-Bulgaria war back in the 1920s when a stray dog crossed the border into Bulgaria? It seems a bit ridiculous that:
1. An animal is arrested
2. Just because it's from "enemy" country, it automatically means it's a spy. Let's face it, Israel could pummel Saudi Arabia to the ground if it could, except black gold flows from it and it would mean an end to the comfy way of life as we know it, not to mention a lot of unnecessary turmoil in the Middle East.

A good gesture would be to dismiss the "spy" thing, release the bird by the border, and send Israel a message (either directly or through third parties) that the next time, the animal won't return. In the mean time, either confiscate the bird's tag or make sure to reveal nothing.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Quokka

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Just been onto the Al Weeam site (Arabic only) and it states that villagers handed the bird, which appeared to be injured, over to the authorities. The article neither states that the bird has been charged with spying nor that it is going to be.

However, some of the comments posted are a bit daft and vitriolic, while a number of others point out that devices are regularly attached to birds and other animals to study them in the wild. Comments posted also point out that if Israel wishes to spy on Saudi Arabia it has far more sophisticated means that using birds.

The article was originally posted on Tuesday, 22 Muharram 1432 H - corresponding to December 28, 2010 - so this is old news.

LH526
Crew

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Quoting jwenting (Reply 3):
Egypt accused a shark in the Red Sea for being an Israeli spy sent to destroy the tourist industry.
Quoting JakeOrion (Thread starter):
Vulture tagged by Israeli scientists flies into Saudi Arabia ... and is arrested for being a spy

What the hell is wrong with these countries? Why did education and common sense did not struck them ... ACCUSE ANIMALS? I can't take these countries seriously!
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

hka098

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:09 pm

I am actually not surprised at all, given the country and what I know about it's culture. Reason and logic have been directed to the back of the bus in The Kingdom.

nonrevman

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:43 pm

I think the real problem with the trial is the need to hire an interpreter that speaks Vulture. Where is Dr. Doolittle when you need him?

GST

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Given the subject matter, shouldn't this be in the Military Aviation section?     

Especially so if it gets convicted.

NoUFO

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Quoting LH526 (Reply 7):
ACCUSE ANIMALS? I can't take these countries seriously!

They don't accuse animals.
They accuse Mossad to use animals to spy on Arab countries (vulture) or scare off tourists (shark).
I support the right to arm bears

DocLightning

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:35 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 11):

They don't accuse animals.

If the animal is not accused, then why has it been arrested?

Also, how does a vulture spy? Did they find a camera or other device? Did they expect the vulture to fly back and speak Hebrew to the Israelis?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Quokka

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:19 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
If the animal is not accused, then why has it been arrested?

Er, it wasn't arrested but handed over to the authorities after being found injured because it had electronic devices attached.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
Did they expect the vulture to fly back and speak Hebrew to the Israelis?

Why ever not? Remember Francis the Talking Mule who not only served in the navy but also joined the WACS?  

jwenting

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Quoting LH526 (Reply 7):
What the hell is wrong with these countries? Why did education and common sense did not struck them ... ACCUSE ANIMALS? I can't take these countries seriously!

Does the Quran state you should get an education and common sense?
If not, you're not allowed to have it as it's not in line with Islamic teachings.
That's how a strict Islamic society works.

Now, most of these countries aren't that strict, but all have their groups of people who do live along those lines.
In the Egyptian case, the accusation was voiced by a rather radical immam, in Saudi it apparently was a remote tribe that I doubt ever saw a schoolhouse let alone looked inside.
Of course the Saudi religious police enforce Sharia law strictly, when it doesn't interfere too much with the royal family making money.
I wish I were flying