Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Best Company/method To Ship A Car Across The US?

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:54 am

Long story short, I moved to VA from AZ but I left my car behind. I flew to VA as it would be much much cheaper than driving the car myself once you figure in gas and hotel costs (close to $1000). But now I REALLY need the car and shipping it is apparently still cheaper than driving myself.

Doing TONS of online searches I cant find anything other than shady websites saying "FREE 7 Instant Quotes!" and similar spam-like websites that ask for everything about you and even your grandma's dog's name. I can't seem to find a legitimate dedicated shipping website for a single company.

Advice much appreciated

[Edited 2011-01-05 17:57:16]

Okie

RE: Best Company/method To Ship A Car Across The US?

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:22 am

I know there are a several companies that move "collector" cars around the country you might inquire with a collector club in your area for references.
Also might see if someone like AAA recommends a shipper, usually military personnel have some contacts as well.

Okie

ShyFlyer

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 am

These guys seem reputable:

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

I see their trucks from time to time so they do exist, though I can't vouch for them as I've never used them.
I lift things up and put them down.

asuflyer05

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:00 am

I paid $900 to ship my car on an open carrier from Scottsdale to Chantilly last May. I booked the carrier using CentralDispatch which is a website for auto dealers and brokers to book shipping space. I believe they have a separate website for consumers to submit a vehicle for shipping, then get bids from different trucking companies.

Just make sure the carrier is licensed, bonded and insured. Make sure they give you a timeframe for the delivery of the vehicle. These car haulers aren't like FedEx especially if you're looking to move a car on the cheap. They'll generally say 7-10 days for AZ to VA and call you a couple of hours before they deliver.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:44 am

So far the average prices I've been quoted have been well above my limit. I haven't gotten quotes under $900. The cheapest solution Ive come up with is having my dad drive halfway of the trip to DFW in my car, then I fly in to DFW and meet him there, then pick up my car and drive back the rest of the way.

[Edited 2011-01-05 20:45:07]

RJLover

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:56 am

I'm moving from YYJ to YHZ sometime later this month and will be driving my car, via the US. To send a car by train YVR -> YHZ I was told $1,200, so I figured screw it, I'll do the drive. I'm estimating it'll be ~$1,000 to do the drive.

It should be fun!
Last Flight(s): YHZ-YYZ//YYZ-YHZ Next Flight(s): YHZ-YHM//YHM-YUL-YHZ

rlwynn

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:37 pm

My father has shipped thousands of cars with them over the past 30 years. He said the only problem he has ever was twice whn the truck crashed.
I can drive faster than you

airtrainer

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Would love to do the drive (with gas and hotels at my own expense) but I'm not sure I will be able to fly to the US soon  
Life is short : eat dessert first !

ALTF4

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 6):
My father has shipped thousands of cars with them over the past 30 years. He said the only problem he has ever was twice whn the truck crashed.

Did they cover any damage done to the cars, or did they say "sorry, not out fault"?
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 7):
Would love to do the drive (with gas and hotels at my own expense)

Hmm, buying you a ticket out here may just be cheaper than shipping it 
Quoting RJLover (Reply 5):
It should be fun!

Indeed, I'm no stranger to extremely long solo drives and I always enjoy road trips, but the costs are just way out of my league right now, I'm extremely broke and still jobless.   

Superfly

Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Thread starter):

Two years ago, I used All America Auto Transport to ship my 1977 Lincoln Town Car from a small farm town in rural Wisconsin to Los Angeles (KevenL1011's shop).
The car weights 5410 pounds and was not running at the time it was shipped.
They were able to pinpoint the exact time of delivery to the minute and they were accurate and kept me updated throughout the journey across the US.
It cost me $950.00.

http://www.aaat.com/

Do you have friends in middle-America along I-10, I-40 and I-70 that would let you crash at their place overnight?
That is one way to keep cost down.
Driving solo can be fun because you can listen to your tapes & CDs as loud as you want without having to concern yourself with weather or not your passenger likes it or not.
Bring back the Concorde

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):
Do you have friends in middle-America along I-10, I-40 and I-70 that would let you crash at their place overnight?

Possibly... I'd have to make some calls.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):

Driving solo can be fun because you can listen to your tapes & CDs as loud as you want without having to concern yourself with weather or not your passenger likes it or not.

I actually like to cruise with no music. Call me crazy, but I rather hear the engine and road noise, even though it's a brand new car, I like to listen for mechanical-noise warning signs before things go awfully wrong.

airtrainer

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 am

Quoting Fly2hmo (Reply 9):

Man, this is really tempting  
Life is short : eat dessert first !

N1120A

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:04 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Thread starter):
I flew to VA as it would be much much cheaper than driving the car myself once you figure in gas and hotel costs (close to $1000).

Don't you have a rather fuel efficient car? I doubt it would cost that much, especially if you keep your hotel cost to $60 or less (very doable at decent places in middle America).
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Geezer

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 am

This probably won't help because i don't think you have considered it; but I'll explain it anyway; you will see many ads where people are "going someplace", and they advertise for someone wanting to get a car shipped; so, they drive your car, you buy the gas, and they get free transportation. Sometimes they even buy the gas.

This setup is just as good, or just as bad, as the guy doing the driving. I had a friend who had this guy drive his Porsche from Ohio to Florida. What a nightmare ! The car got trashed, and the guy driving it got in jail. ( That was 20 yrs ago; let's hope he's still in jail ! )

Actually, it used to be pretty common, but everything has changed in the last 10 years or so.

Someone to look at, all the big household movers haul cars; half the Global, Bekins, etc. you see have a car in the trailer, and actually it's quite safe; but it's definitely not cheap. Safe yes, cheap no.

A very close friend of mine moved from Phoenix to Panama City Fla back in May, and shipped two of his cars in the moving van; then moved again to NYC; again, no problemo; he drove his SUV with his wife and 3 Chiwawas; (Sp?)
It worked just fine, mainly because a big airline was footing all the bills, including his food and motels. I guess that's a good reason to work up to a good job with an airline ! They need your "talent" !

If I were in your place, I would definitely find a way to drive the car myself, even if I had to hitch-hike to Arizona to start the trip.

But whatever you do........don't let an "un-known" drive your car, hoping to "save"; it's the worst option.

Good luck;
Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Molykote

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:38 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 2):

These guys seem reputable:

I see their trucks from time to time so they do exist, though I can't vouch for them as I've never used them.
Quoting rlwynn (Reply 6):

I've used these guys. The car arrived before the (conservatively) quoted time.

A few notes from my experience (2 years ago):
- Prices varied heavily depending on which day of the week/truck you wanted your car sent on.
- They offer "extras" like insurance, "we'll put your car on the top of the truck", etc for extra money.
- Depot to depot price is the base rate. Door to door on either end of the journey is about an extra $100.
- The receiving depot supposedly washes the car, though mine was really done half-assed. I don't care if the car is dirty but not being able to see out the windows is another matter. Had I not picked up the car near closing time I might have (1) noticed the filth in better light and (2) made them at least clean the windows. Fortunately, the depot was only 25 minutes from home for me. I'd also suspect that some sort of powered brush was used to wash the car - after seeing it in the next day's light, it appeared that the massive amount of dirt that had accumulated on the vehicle ended up abrading the finish during the washing process (though I had no real recourse for this as I had bought a used car unseen and couldn't firmly establish where it may have happened).

All told, I have no real complaints from my transaction. I shipped a small/medium (3 series) car from Houston to Pittsburgh for a base rate of $440. I paid for a $100 "door to door" charge from the dealer in Houston but that might have been unnecessary given the number of cars that this dealer sells. I think I ended up biting on the "top of the truck" option for $20, though I had no rational reason for doing so.

$560 to get a car from the dealer in Houston to the depot in Pittsburgh was worth it for me. Even given a free airline ticket to Houston, avoiding the ~1,300mi/23hr trip, lodging, food, etc was reason enough to ship the car rather than drive. In my case I was also dealing with driving to Pittsburgh on 225/245mm summer tires in January on a newly purchased (uninspected) used car. Obviously, your circumstances are a bit different but shipping was a slam dunk for me.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

DocLightning

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:54 am

Quoting Molykote (Reply 15):
- The receiving depot supposedly washes the car, though mine was really done half-assed.

Really? The one time I used such a service (and I don't remember who it was) the car showed up filthy. I sprayed the windshield with the washer so that I could drive it and then went to a car wash. $5 and 5 min. later, I had a shiny clean car.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Molykote

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:16 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 16):
Really? The one time I used such a service (and I don't remember who it was) the car showed up filthy. I sprayed the windshield with the washer so that I could drive it and then went to a car wash. $5 and 5 min. later, I had a shiny clean car.

My experience was as you described. I chalked it up to freezing January temperatures making a better wash impractical and shrugged it off.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):

Don't you have a rather fuel efficient car?

HA! I wish... I get 20mpgs on the city if i'm lucky. It's a guzzler, but I blame that mostly on the crappy Pemex gas, the fact that the engine is virtually unchanged since it first was introduced 40 years ago, and my lead foot syndrome.  
Quoting Geezer (Reply 14):
Chiwawas

Chihuahuas

Quoting Geezer (Reply 14):
This probably won't help because i don't think you have considered it;

My mom mentioned something like that, and I know there's websites for that, but hell no I'm not getting any stranger in my car.

Now I'm caught in between buying a beater car here or driving mine up, I REALLY want my car though, it all depends whether my dad will have a business trip to DFW and if that's the case he'll drive there, and I'll fly in and pick it up and drive the rest of the way.

Superfly

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Quoting Fly2hmo (Reply 18):
I get 20mpgs on the city if i'm lucky. It's a guzzler,

20 in the city?
That is good mileage and hardly a "guzzler".
If anything, that is about average.

Have you checked in to the rates of the company I posted?
Bring back the Concorde

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:26 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):

I shouldve said that's on a good day. The last tank only gave me 17mpgs. Which for a 2.0L 4 banger is quite thirsty, for todays standards at least.

Have you checked in to the rates of the company I posted?

Yeah they wanted $930ish, nobody has quoted me anything under $905, which is quite a stretch for my wallet, or lack thereof

Superfly

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:44 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 20):
The last tank only gave me 17mpgs. Which for a 2.0L 4 banger is quite thirsty, for todays standards at least.

Yes that is thirsty. I didn't know your car had a small engine. What kind of car is it again?
Those numbers is the same as my 1987 Chrysler Lebaron convertible. It got horrible mileage for such a gutless car. It was rated at 146HP but felt more like 90HP. The turbo added some power but made the exhaust loud, run hot and drink lots of gas.

That mileage you're getting is what some V8s are getting. A Ford Mustang GT get's the same numbers.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 20):
Yeah they wanted $930ish, nobody has quoted me anything under $905, which is quite a stretch for my wallet, or lack thereof

That is the going rate.
I can at least testify that their service is good and extremely professional. Your car will get to it's destination without a scratch at the time they promise. They'll keep you updated along the journey as well.
Another important thing to consider is the trucks they use. This company doesn't use chains that hang from the above rack. Some companies still use those and they can fall and hit your car if parked on the bottom.
Just something to consider.

On the highway, you should get close to 30MPG and hotels & restaurants are cheaper in middle-America. You might be able to do this trip for less than $930.
If you have friends & family along the way that you can crash with, you can do this journey very cheap.
Bring back the Concorde

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:57 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
What kind of car is it again?

SEAT (that's say-at) Ibiza 2010, think Ford Fiesta, but better (well, minus the guzzler part  )

But I bought it for how well it drives and quality, don't really give a damn about MPGs or eco-niceness when buying cars, because f-you, Greenpeace.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
You might be able to do this trip for less than $930.
If you have friends & family along the way that you can crash with, you can do this journey very cheap.

I've done the math. Best case scenario I've figured at the very least is $800. Mind you, I'm also crossing the US/Mexico border with it.

I just hope that if I bring it over to the states I don't have any problems with the law, AZ cops are used to seeing cars with Mexican plates all the time, but I hear cops in VA are as Nazi as they get, not to mention radar detectors are illegal. But in my mind the only people that have a say on whether my car can be here or not is the CBP, and their only restriction is that foreign cars can only be temporarily imported for a year, at which point I'd just drive to Canada to export it then back down again to reset the yearly requirement 

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:15 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 22):
SEAT (that's say-at) Ibiza 2010, think Ford Fiesta, but better (well, minus the guzzler part  )

I was going to ask how you only get 17 MPG out of a 2.0, but then I realized its the 2.slow, not the 2.0T. Such a shame, but its still a sweet car.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

Superfly

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 22):
I hear cops in VA are as Nazi as they get,

Lot's of small cities in Virginia with cops that are board. Yes they'll harass you and ask you tons of questions.
Make sure you always park the car indoors and out of view of the street. That way the police can't always see your license plate.
Bring back the Concorde

KevinL1011

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 24):
Lot's of small cities in Virginia with cops that are board. Yes they'll harass you and ask you tons of questions.
Make sure you always park the car indoors and out of view of the street. That way the police can't always see your license plate.

Only small cities in VA. Huh?
I think I remember you and I getting rolled in a city with a population of 170,000 by not one, but two police units under similar circumstances.

Quote: Superfly, "Officers, you can see I have a brand new license plate frame on the car because I have new license plates that I was just going to install and they're right here in the .......uh, where are they?"

Quote: Police Officer, Please step out of the car Sir.   
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

Superfly

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:30 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 25):
Only small cities in VA. Huh?
I think I remember you and I getting rolled in a city with a population of 170,000 by not one, but two police units under similar circumstances.

170,000 population is still small enough for cops to concern themselves with petty stuff like this.
It's the larger cities of 1 million or larger where cops are focused on more important things besides vehicle registration.
No one city in Virginia is that large.
Bring back the Concorde

KevinL1011

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:07 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
It's the larger cities of 1 million or larger where cops are focused on more important things besides vehicle registration.

You lived in the bay area long enough to know there's a separate police force of it's own called "Parking Enforcement".
Probably the largest revenue generator in the entire SFPD.

BTW, Besides Falstaff and I, how many other A.netters have you almost been arrested with?

Superfly

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 27):
"Parking Enforcement".
Probably the largest revenue generator in the entire SFPD.

Ugh, that is one elemnt of San Francisco I do not miss!   
You should read my Yelp.com review of San Francisco Department of Traffic.
Despite their deconian measures, they don't bother with out of state and out of country license plates. So many tourist here and transplants in SFO so they don't bother. They only look at parking meters and drive around with the street sweepers.

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 27):
BTW, Besides Falstaff and I, how many other A.netters have you almost been arrested with?

...and successfully talked our way out of it.
Bring back the Concorde

KevinL1011

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
and successfully talked our way out of it.

Yes, and also the ones that weren't successful.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 23):
but then I realized its the 2.slow

Yup, good 'ole 1970's 8v LOL. It's horrid in the Jettas, but in the Ibiza it feels so much more punchy, and it has a great tranny too, very short ratios. Also they did some tuning to the intake so it kinda sounds like a GTI, instead of making that nasty screechy whiny tone the MKIV Jettas made.

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 23):
Such a shame, but its still a sweet car.

Very much so. Man, this thing would do warp speed with an 2.0T FSI, weighs only 2300lbs.   

Hmmm... maybe I could find a totalled GTI/GLI remove, the engine and then convert the Ibiza to a 2.0T 

N1120A

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Quoting Fly2hmo (Reply 18):

HA! I wish... I get 20mpgs on the city if i'm lucky. It's a guzzler, but I blame that mostly on the crappy Pemex gas, the fact that the engine is virtually unchanged since it first was introduced 40 years ago, and my lead foot syndrome.

That's shocking, because my car does that for me, and is 1.2l larger.

Good mileage relative to one of those land yachts you tool around in.

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 25):

Did you guys file a complaint?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:09 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 30):
Yup, good 'ole 1970's 8v LOL. It's horrid in the Jettas, but in the Ibiza it feels so much more punchy, and it has a great tranny too, very short ratios. Also they did some tuning to the intake so it kinda sounds like a GTI, instead of making that nasty screechy whiny tone the MKIV Jettas made.

You know they put that engine in the MkVI Jetta now too, right? But yeah, swap a 2.0T in that car, and it would be wicked fast. Heck, if you are willing to go that far with modifications, forget the 2.0T, and just put the 3.6 VR6 in it. That would be the meanest sounding compact car ever, for sure. But, I suppose there are a lot more totaled GTI/GLI/Wolfsburg's out there that have been totaled than B6 3.6 VR6 Passats.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

IMissPiedmont

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:12 am

I had a car driven by someone from FL to AZ about 30 years ago and as I recall he was found through AAA, cost me nothing and gave a retiree wheels and 2 weeks of travel. You just need to be willing to let them drive pretty much as they wish and yes, they are screened.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 am

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 32):

You know they put that engine in the MkVI Jetta now too, right?

Yeah, at least from what I hear they have (the sticks at least) the same short ratio 5 speed tranny my Ibiza has, which fits the 2 point slow rather well, though the Jettas are a heck of a lot heavier.

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 33):
I had a car driven by someone from FL to AZ about 30 years ago and as I recall he was found through AAA, cost me nothing and gave a retiree wheels and 2 weeks of travel. You just need to be willing to let them drive pretty much as they wish and yes, they are screened.

Interesting concept.

pwm2txlhopper

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 am

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned shipping by rail. I know people who've shipped their cars long distance, cross county this way. It can be cheaper than shipping by truck.

http://autolog.net/car-shipping-by-auto-trains.html

http://www.carshippingquote.com/shipping-a-car-by-train/

http://www.autos.com/car-buying/car-...s-truck-haulers-a-comparison-guide

asuflyer05

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:39 am

What part of VA are you in? Do you even want to bother with parking and paying personal property tax?

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 35):

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned shipping by rail. I know people who've shipped their cars long distance, cross county this way. It can be cheaper than shipping by truck.

I got quotes from all those a week ago. All those websites are phony, sort of. When you ask for a quote, even if you used or requested a train shipping method, they just give you a truck quote regardless and if you ask them to refer you to someone that will do it by rail they refuse to tell you.

I also checked rail companies directly like union pacific but they're not interested if you don't ship a million cars a year with them.

Quoting asuflyer05 (Reply 36):
What part of VA are you in? Do you even want to bother with parking and paying personal property tax?

Ashburn. But I don't have to bother with the ridiculous vehicle laws in VA if I keep the foreign plates   

[Edited 2011-01-13 08:43:42]

RJLover

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 pm

I got to my interm destination, YXU, yesterday. It look 4 days, 3 nights to go from YYJ to YXU, via the US (on I-90 most of the way). I was spending around $100/day on gas, and an average of $40/night on hotels.

I'll leave in about a week to do the YXU to YHZ portion.
Last Flight(s): YHZ-YYZ//YYZ-YHZ Next Flight(s): YHZ-YHM//YHM-YUL-YHZ

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:29 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 37):
I got quotes from all those a week ago. All those websites are phony, sort of. When you ask for a quote, even if you used or requested a train shipping method, they just give you a truck quote regardless and if you ask them to refer you to someone that will do it by rail they refuse to tell you.

I also checked rail companies directly like union pacific but they're not interested if you don't ship a million cars a year with them.

I see. I just came up with those sites after a quick search. I didn't spend a lot of time investigating, but I'm sure you can ship by rail. I once knew a guy who did it, and I''ve heard of others, too. I just don't know anything about doing it! When you import a specialty car from overseas, that's often how it's delivered. It's put in a shipping container, loaded onto a ship and comes into an East coast or West coast port. From there the container is loaded onto intermodel rail and transported inland.

You might want to check with a shipper like Hapag-Lloydd, Maersk, or one of those outfits that are already registered shipping agents with the railroads, and shipping companies (Like actual maritime ships) That way you just deal with them, and in turn they take care of the logistics of dealing with the railroad, ship company, truck company, etc.

Maybe you could even find an Internet forum or message board where you could talk to military personal or their family who've had experience moving overseas? A lot of times they bring their cars with them, and they are sent via container ships with shippers such as Hapag-Lloyd, Maersk, and others. They might know more about the process of shipping an auto than any of us on here know?

http://www.maerskline.com/link/?page...hure&path=/our_services/containers

http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/fleet/general_cargo_containers.html

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 39):
I just don't know anything about doing it!

Yeah, been searching like crazy how to do it directly via rail, but there's not much info out there. However what little I've found seems to indicate that rail is about equally expensive.

ual747den

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:23 am

I find it hard to believe it would cost you more than $900 to just drive it from AZ to VA. Your young its not like you need to stop at a hotel every 8 hours. I would imagine you could make it with only one night in a hotel. When I was in college a friend and I drove from Denver to VA to visit a friend in the Navy, I don't remember how many days it took us but we just stayed with the women we met along the way! Gas stations and malls are a great place to meet hot women and when you tell them that your just passing through and ask them where you should stay their bed always seems to be open!

Quoting Fly2hmo (Reply 11):
I actually like to cruise with no music. Call me crazy, but I rather hear the engine and road noise, even though it's a brand new car, I like to listen for mechanical-noise warning signs before things go awfully wrong.

I will call you CRAZY for sure! I HATE driving anywhere but especially long distances, I will do anything to distract me from the fact that I am driving! I am a talk radio junkie when I'm in the car, being a Democrat I mostly just yell back at the radio! If nothing good is on I will listen to the ipod or if I'm really bored ill read Anet on the laptop while I'm driving home from Denver along I-25.

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 12):
Quoting Fly2hmo (Reply 9):

Man, this is really tempting  

Can you say "Buddy Pass"! There are plenty of airline employees on here and it looks like airtrainer has some extra time on his hands......
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:51 am

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 41):
I would imagine you could make it with only one night in a hotel

I know people who've done the drive. The one guy told me he did in fact do it in just one day. But by the time he arrived he had hallucinations and nearly killed himself a few times due to the onset of exhaustion. I'm no stranger to super long drives, but I have my limits. I only like driving between sunrise and a couple of hours after sunset. Any later or earlier and I don't trust myself staying awake at the wheel.

So If I were to drive starting from TUS, I'd overnight at the very least at DFW or ABI, then BNA. Not exactly equal distances but close.

And I've used the same cost calculation techniques for this road trip and all the ones before it as I would use for any of my flight plans, they're very accurate. As I said, my car is a quite the guzzler for a brand new 4 banger.

if I'm really bored ill read Anet on the laptop while I'm driving home from Denver along I-25.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's things like this why US roads are so dangerous and have such high accident rates    

[Edited 2011-01-13 18:53:45]

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:52 am

I find it hard to believe it would cost you more than $900 to just drive it from AZ to VA. Your young its not like you need to stop at a hotel every 8 hours. I would imagine you could make it with only one night in a hotel. When I was in college a friend and I drove from Denver to VA to visit a friend in the Navy, I don't remember how many days it took us but we just stayed with the women we met along the way! Gas stations and malls are a great place to meet hot women and when you tell them that your just passing through and ask them where you should stay their bed always seems to be open!

I don't know about that? Expenses add up. That's why it's become cheaper to fly. For me to drive 1,200 over two days, it would cost me about $250 in gas. Maybe $60 in food. $30 in tolls before even getting out of New England! $70 for one night in the hotel. Plus any other things that might come up? And that's driving a small sedan half the distance of AZ-VA. Yet I could fly that in 2.5 hours for about $150 one-way.

Can't understand why people still drive long distance, or god-forbid, take Greyhound coast to coast! *shutters* But if you've got to get your car somewhere, it might be the only rational option?

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 42):

I know people who've done the drive. The one guy told me he did in fact do it in just one day. But by the time he arrived he had hallucinations and nearly killed himself a few times due to the onset of exhaustion.

About ten years ago I saw a Dateline special about long-haul truckers falsifying their logs. They followed one guy from Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine. He did it non-stop in 48 hours with the help of cigarettes, coffee, and methamphetamine! Completely floored me even thinking about it!

[Edited 2011-01-13 18:58:14]

ual747den

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:09 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 42):
Ladies and gentlemen, it's things like this why US roads are so dangerous and have such high accident rates

Only one accident in my life and I was not at fault.

I do agree however that most people should not and cannot do this, I just happen to be a better driver with my knees than most people are with both hands! It drives my friends crazy when I drive down the interstate going 90mph talking on my phone and writing notes while using my knees to hold the car on the road! I do this all the time and after a long day at work I will often stop at Fazoli's and order the sampler platter with breadsticks, set my cruise control to 90mph, and eat my lasagna while talking on the phone or screaming at Dr. Laura on the radio! I know most people will cringe at the thought of my SUV being on the same road as you but really, i'm a good driver!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

PITingres

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:36 am

I would imagine you could make it with only one night in a hotel.

I used to do Pgh to Denver in 35+ hours in a car. Leave at midnight, take a short nap past Indianapolis at 5-6+ hours, and a longer (3-4) hour sleep past St Louis. But, I was 20 years old then.   When our oldest went to college, we did Pgh to Vegas in 42 hours (ok, 3 drivers), a 6 hour sleepover in Vegas at a $50 roach motel, with the rest of the way to USC in (if I recall correctly) 5 more hours.

So no, you don't need to stop at a $50-$100 hotel every 8 hours. On the other hand, the driving is nontrivial, and if you aren't used to distance driving you're better off limiting to 6 to 8 hours driving per day.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

comorin

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 pm

I used Horseless Carriage to ship my car back from SFO to NYC after a cross-country. They did a really good job - $1K.

www.horselesscarriage.com

rlwynn

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:55 pm

How are you going to insure a Seat (Americans would say, Say-ott) Ibiza in America? There are no Seat's and that car would not be to American standard to get registered.
I can drive faster than you

DiamondFlyer

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 47):
How are you going to insure a Seat (Americans would say, Say-ott) Ibiza in America? There are no Seat's and that car would not be to American standard to get registered.

Probably the same way people insure and register kit cars. I know of a guy who has a mid 70's VW Beetle, converted to a dune buggy, that is nothing more than a frame, and a Porsche 944 turbo engine in it. You find the right DMV, and they'll let you register whatever you want. May cost some money, but I'm sure its possible.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:01 am

How are you going to insure a Seat (Americans would say, Say-ott) Ibiza in America?

My Mexican Insurance has liability insurance coverage included in the US as well, with a US underwriter. I even get roadside support for free. Even if I didn't have it, you can just buy the tourist insurance for the US just like US drivers can buy Mexican liability insurance for Mexico, which is a scam really because it is not mandatory in Mexico unlike the US.

There are no Seat's and that car would not be to American standard to get registered.

I'm not registering it. It's a big gray area I have taken advantage off before, but basically even though states require registration within 90 days, as a dual citizen the only people that really have a say on how long my car can be in the states is CBP , and their limit is a year. All I have to do is drive the car out of the US and bring it back in and I have another year. However, If I run into a state trooper that's been having a bad day and is of the Nazi type, he may be able to screw me over. But with my few run ins with the law I've had no problems so far, granted this was all in border states (TX, AZ, CA, etc)