aer lingus

Facebook Will End On March 15th

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Just got a message from a friend saying that Facebook will be no more on March 15th 2011.
I don't know if the source is trustworthy but it seems Facebook will be shut on March 15th.
After finding some of my old classmates recently in Facebook, after so many years some of them had moved to a different country and the best way to keep contact with them is by Facebook. I hope the story is not true because if Facebook really shuts down, loads of people will lose contacts.
While Facebook is worth billions, would there be a buyout from someone to save it?
Saving Facebook would mean that we won't lose contact with families, colleagues, friends, classmates.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...1/facebook-will-end-on-march-15th/
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

MD-90

RE: Facebook Will End On March 15th

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:26 pm

I always recommend checking snopes.com when you see something like this.

Snopes.com: False.

planeguy727

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:27 pm

I want to live in an old and converted 727...

BMIFlyer

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Quoting Aer Lingus (Thread starter):

Erm, you know that this is a joke, right? 

I mean, look at the "news" site - it's crass!!!

This is the REAL story.....  
http://www.blogtechnical.com/286/fac...hut-down-hoax-spreads-like-fire.bt
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

skidmarks

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Does anyone keep count of the times this sort of rumour surfaces? it become a new hobby - Facebook Rumour Spotting!  

Andy   
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

BMIFlyer

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Quoting skidmarks (Reply 4):
Does anyone keep count of the times this sort of rumour surfaces?

Doesn't bother me, I quit Facebook in 2010.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

EMBQA

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Mark Zuckerberg would from being worth 50 Billion.. to zero. Think about it......!!!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

MadameConcorde

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:36 pm

I would really have a hard time believing such news.
Think of all the lost money if they ever close down.
They are worth more than Google.
Isn't Facebook worth $50 bn?
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

aer lingus

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 1):

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 2):

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 3):
Erm, you know that this is a joke, right? 

Thanks for the quick replies and the links! As I already said on the post I don't know if the source is trustworthy. After seeing the source my friend gave me. I felt it was strange for something which worth billions to shut down. Now everything seems to be clear. Thanks guys for your help!   
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

srbmod

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:57 pm

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...1/facebook-will-end-on-march-15th/

This is the website of an infamous trashy tabloid magazine filled with all sorts of rubbish disguised as "news". In some ways, it is "The Onion" taken to the extreme (although Weekly World News predates that publication by about 9 years).

I wonder how many times that link will get posted on Facebook today...... If any of my friends post it, I've got the Snopes link ready to go.

Quoting skidmarks (Reply 4):
Does anyone keep count of the times this sort of rumour surfaces? it become a new hobby - Facebook Rumour Spotting!

Usually it's stuff like Facebook is about to start charging $X/a month to use the site or Facebook is removing a popular game from the site.

IH8BY

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 9):
Usually it's stuff like Facebook is about to start charging $X/a month to use the site

Invariably asking you to click on a link to some dodgy site/script, get an application, or Like a page, with the promise that this will halt the otherwise inevitable disappearance of Facebook...

Quoting srbmod (Reply 9):
or Facebook is removing a popular game from the site.

Ever wished that some rumours would come true?
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

hka098

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Hmmm... I smell a wager   I seriously doubt it. Wouldn't be surprised if they went public in March.

jwenting

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 7):

no. Their stock value is $50 billion. But that's all bubble. Their actual value (property, services) is only a tiny fraction of that.
I wish I were flying

rfields5421

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:47 pm

would there be a buyout from someone to save it?
Quoting hka098 (Reply 11):
Wouldn't be surprised if they went public in March.

There is no reason for the people owning most of Facebook to sell, or go public.

The company is making a lot of money, and paying nice bonuses to the owners and investors.

The founder and his key management team have been very up front that they do not want to change jobs. Because when a company goes public, the CEO and top management job is no longer innovating and running a top flight technology company. Their job changes to working to keep shareholders and investment analysts happy.

hka098

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 13):
Their job changes to working to keep shareholders and investment analysts happy.

Which is the most curious part. A company that prides itself on connecting people and being open wants to keep the books quiet. Sooner or later the SEC is going to want to take a look. I am glad that I am not heavily vested in Facebook.

luv2fly

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Quoting hka098 (Reply 14):
Which is the most curious part. A company that prides itself on connecting people and being open wants to keep the books quiet. Sooner or later the SEC is going to want to take a look. I am glad that I am not heavily vested in Facebook.

You do know that Facebook is a "private" company and the SEC has nothing to do with it.
You can cut the irony with a knife

flanker

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Just got a message from a friend saying that Facebook will be no more on March 15th 2011.

Damn it I should've sent you an email stating I am from Kenya and require immediate fund transfers
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

hka098

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 15):
You do know that Facebook is a "private" company and the SEC has nothing to do with it.

So, being private exempts them from any kind of regulation? That explains the financial crisis.

ALTF4

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Quoting hka098 (Reply 17):
So, being private exempts them from any kind of regulation? That explains the financial crisis.

Not sure where to begin here.

You might read up on the difference between public and private companies.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

EMBQA

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Quoting jwenting (Reply 12):

There actual value is near zero. They provide a free service and the only income comes from advertising and like many internet stocks they are very risky

[Edited 2011-01-09 12:34:49]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

hka098

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:29 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 18):
You might read up on the difference between public and private companies.

Probably should, but I don't care. I am not a stock owner, nor have any such desires. Either way, I find it tough to believe they can just do what they want without any kind of oversight.

rfields5421

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:32 pm

being private exempts them from any kind of regulation?

No - only from the financial oversight of the Securities and Exchange Commission.

They still have to comply with any other government regulation - i.e.: wage and hour, safety (OHSA), environmental, etc.

Private companies are a small but substantial part of the economy. Their financial situation and communication with their owners is not subject to regulation. But they are also restricted from a great number of activities, and sources of funds to grow, expand.

hka098

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 21):

Thanks for the info. I wonder if Goldmann Sachs were not such a large investor would Facebook consider going public? Besides, what about the talent behind Facebook? Many of the staff there left good-paying jobs at Google, Microsoft to join Facebook and get in on the IPO. If that doesn't happen, they may walk taking their expertise with them.

Type-Rated

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 19):
There actual value is near zero. They provide a free service and the only income comes from advertising

and selling all your demographic and location data to anyone who wants to use it for any purpose, as long as they pay.
Once you are on Facebook all your browsing information is tracked by them. They know what websites you look at and how often you look at them. It's a complete invasion of privacy.

Ever try to remove yourself from Facebook? Ha! Two weeks? Give me a break.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Okie

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:25 pm

"Ceaser beware the Ides of March" 

Okie

Fly2HMO

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:35 pm

I don't know if the source is trustworthy but it seems Facebook will be shut on March 15th.
After finding some of my old classmates recently in Facebook, after so many years some of them had moved to a different country and the best way to keep contact with them is by Facebook. I hope the story is not true because if Facebook really shuts down, loads of people will lose contacts.
While Facebook is worth billions, would there be a buyout from someone to save it?
Saving Facebook would mean that we won't lose contact with families, colleagues, friends, classmates.

You know the world is going to end on 2012 too right? I hope you've made preparations.

ShyFlyer

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:47 pm

If Facebook ever shuts down, it will shut down like a lot of companies do: suddenly and without much (or any) warning.

::poof::
I lift things up and put them down.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:06 am

I didn't realize people still believed this stuff. I thought we had gotten used to these hoaxes in the MySpace days...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

LH526
Crew

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 am

For one, I can't believe how some people stil by this hoax crap, for another it's a pretty bad example when you "loose contact" to your friends and families just because FB is down ... seems lile the modern amenities like letter, phone or even personal visits didn't struck some...
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

lhr380

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:00 am

Quoting LH526 (Reply 28):
seems lile the modern amenities like letter, phone or even personal visits didn't struck some...

I cant recall the last time I sent a letter. I text mates, call and catch up in person with them when I can, but being a shift worker, and having friends all over the world makes that hard to do, so facebook is a great way of staying in touch, be it on the laptop at home, or on the iphone when at work or out of the house.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

LH526
Crew

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 29):
I cant recall the last time I sent a letter. I text mates, call and catch up in person with them when I can, but being a shift worker, and having friends all over the world makes that hard to do, so facebook is a great way of staying in touch, be it on the laptop at home, or on the iphone when at work or out of the house.

Sure, FB is way more convenient and faster, however I know that you can keep a very healthy relationship with your friends, families and beloved ones totally sans Facebook. Call them in a silent hour, write an email (!), text them, twitter etc .... or have your local ones over for a beer.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

wexfordflyer

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:40 pm

I knew when i read the thread tittle that it couldn't be true.

Then I read that it was reported in the Weekly World News and my suspicions were confirmed.

Were these the ones who reported that Bill Clinton was abducted by aliens??
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

sw733

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Quoting wexfordflyer (Reply 31):
Bill Clinton was abducted by aliens??

Anal probes? He wishes...

Tugger

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 7):
They are worth more than Google.

Ummm.... Google has a market cap currently of almost $200 billion, Facebook is most certainly not more valuable than Google and likely never will be.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

aluminumbird777

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 5):
Doesn't bother me, I quit Facebook in 2010.

So did I. My last day was 12/31/2010. Well...I'll be back on in December 2011 for all those who wonder where I went or are too lazy to ask someone for my contact info. Then I'm leaving again. Facebook got impersonal and boring. I decided real friendships are more worth my time.

But before I left, I spent time compiling a contact email list.

TheRedBaron

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:05 am

Facebook is a fad.... 4 years from now it will be worth nothing...

Real friends are found in real life not online....
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

rfields5421

Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:01 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 21):
being private exempts them from any kind of regulation?

No - only from the financial oversight of the Securities and Exchange Commission.

I find that I was wrong based on recent news stories - http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/21/technology/facebook_funding/index.htm.

Facebook is preparing to submit forms and information to the SEC apparently starting in late March or April

The reason is that Facebook will likely cross the 500 shareholder (owner) mark this year. Companies with 500 shareholders, even if the shares were done as private investments, have to disclose their information, and comply with most of the SEC regulations.

They will have to begin operating the Facebook company almost as if it were publicly traded.

DocLightning

Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:21 am

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 35):
Facebook is a fad.... 4 years from now it will be worth nothing...

My real friends are scattered all over the world. Each and every one of them is a flesh-and-blood person who I personally have met and who I personally like. All 800+ of them on my friends list (there are a few exceptions who are from this site or others who I haven't yet met personally). Seem absurd? I have lived in three major places in my life (SE Michigan, San Francisco, NYC). I have spent significant amounts of time in the UK, Australia, and Spain. I spent ten years in higher education between two institutions plus I have worked for three different employers. During that time, I have had the pleasure to meet a LOT of very amazing and special people and Facebook gives me one place to go where I can easily keep in contact with all of them.

FB has a degree of interactiveness and give-and-take that Myspace and Friendster never had. They were just databases of your friends. Facebook is a truly interactive website. It is only a website. But it has allowed me to find people with whom I'd lost touch and who I feel blessed to have back in my life... even across thousands of miles and multiple time zones.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Fly2HMO

Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:49 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 37):
Seem absurd?

Somewhat. While I see where you're coming from, realistically how many do you actually regularly keep in touch with? I have barely over 100 friends, and like you all are flesh and blood and I've met them but I had a meaningful relationship with ALL of them.

But at one point I was getting close to 300, the wall got annoyingly crowded even with me censoring people (cant imagine what it is a 1k) and I figured what the hell, I barely actually keep in touch with 50 or so people. So I deleted all the ones who I thought I was sure I'd never see again, or who made no effort to contact me at all, and whom I had otherwise no real connection with. I've noticed a lot that people seem to brag about how many friends they have on Fbook (not saying you are). I'd say that mostly anybody that says they have over 200 truly close friends they keep in touch with often, facebook or not, is lying.

Personally, I see no point in adding that slut I met at the bar the other night, the guy in class I did a group project with just once, the person working at the cubicle next to me who the most I get out of their mouth is "good morning" etc etc. And call me shallow, but every girl I've gone out with that had a friends list over 1k "friends" ended up being a flaky whore. I seem to always fare better with those with less than 500 friends, and I'm certain it's more than just a coincidence, the reasoning behind that should be obvious.

Suffice to say, over the past few years, I've deleted more friends than I've added. Interestingly some of my closer friends with realistic, and smaller, friend lists have done the same. It really annoys me when just because I say hi to someone that's a good enough excuse to stalk me on FB. It's stupid.

Anyways, rants aside, it is indeed a great tool to keep in touch with those that matter and who are far away.

[Edited 2011-01-21 20:53:03]

DocLightning

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:37 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 38):

Somewhat. While I see where you're coming from, realistically how many do you actually regularly keep in touch with?

Many, not all. But they are available to me, and that's what counts.

I get sick of people trashing Facebook. Don't like it? Don't use it. Easy.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

wexfordflyer

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 35):

Facebook is not necessarily about finding friends (not for me anyway) but it's a great (easy and cheap) way of keeping in touch with friends. I have a lot of friends who are in alot of different places which makes it hard to keep in touch with them, facebook makes it easy. Also, when I am away travelling it is so easy to keep in touch with friends and family back at home!

I agree that it may be a bit of a fad and in a number of years time it may be history. I say "may" though. It is also possible that it will still be in full swing. For me if it is to go then it will have to be replaced with something else that will make it dead easy for me to keep in touch with people as I have mentioned.

Real friends can be kept in touch with online.....
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.