sunking737
Topic Author

Looking For Online Tutoring Help

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:03 am

Does anyone know were someone with learning disabilities can get free online tutoring help? My oldest daughter is in special education classes in high school. She is there because she has always had some trouble reading. She has some exams coming up next week and she is really stressed. They have been studying basic math and now the teacher wants them to do geometry.

Any guidance would be of great help to her. Thanks for your time.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

oly720man

RE: Looking For Online Tutoring Help

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 am

Quoting sunking737 (Thread starter):
She is there because she has always had some trouble reading.

Is this dyslexia or some form of interpretive/receptive disorder.... i.e. what's seen/read makes little or no sense?

Making people understand things can be challenging and it's sometimes a matter of thinking outside the box to make the concepts understood. Personally I can find it hard to make sense of things just by reading about them, I have to get my hands on and do it.

What level of geometry is your daughter doing? What concepts is she struggling with? Has the school made any suggestions?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

sunking737
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:03 am

Quoting oly720man (Reply 1):
What level of geometry is your daughter doing? What concepts is she struggling with? Has the school made any suggestions?

oly720man thanks for the reply. Its my understanding that it is beginning geometry. She has what they call an ESE Plan all written out. The problem is when she first started this plan when we lived back in MN. We now live in FL, and they basically are following the same plan but it has changed some. As she has gotten very good grades, A-B because of her good grades someone put her into a main stream courses and she struggles with some of her classes.

She studies hard, and she is starting to get flustered. It is her senior year and wants to finish with good grades. After she is done in May of this year she wants to go to cooking school. She has always struggled with her reading, below grade level. She told me that the teacher just decided to change the whole class, and just not her.

Mid term finals are coming up next week. She fears if she fails the school will make her return in Sept. to retake the class.
That is why I was asking for some pointers to a web site to help her. She found one that wanted $20 a week to help her. I guess I have to pay it.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

oly720man

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:28 am

Quoting sunking737 (Reply 2):

OK, I see. I hope your daughter doesn't get too stressed, it only makes things harder.

Another possibility, though not quite tuition is to use something like yahoo answers where there are plenty of people wanting answers to maths questions, including the workings. Lots of the questions seem to get answered fairly quickly and the replies seem, on the whole, to be reliable.

http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_..._SCQ3oInEDH1G;_ylv=3?sid=396545161

And there are probably many of the questions your daughter is worried about that have already been asked and answered
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

sunking737
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:33 am

Thanks again oly720man for your reply. I will talk it over with her and see what she says.

Have a great weekend.
Just an MSPAVGEEK