Tugger

Friday Stupid Thread - How Do You Shave?

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:13 pm

All right, I know this will devolve into areas no one should really go (after all this is A.net   ) but I've wanted to pose it for a while so here goes:

Pretty much everyone has to shave and groom as a regular part of their lives. How do you shave?

I shave my face only, while I am taking a shower, using only soap and water. I use a Gillette Fusion. I don't use a mirror. I keep a mustache and goatee and using a standard trimmer to keep it neat.

Tugg

[Edited 2011-01-14 09:16:12]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

GAIsweetGAI

RE: Friday Stupid Thread - How Do You Shave?

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Quoting tugger (Thread starter):
Pretty much everyone has to shave and groom as a regular part of their lives.

No you don't. Not on a regular basis, anyway.   
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

NIKV69

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Broken piece of glass...

Actually I dug out an old norelco electric that has been a great job of it while saving on those expensive Fusion blades! When I need a real close shave I use the Fusion Power.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

hka098

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:19 pm

With a disposable razor about twice a week.

ogre727

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:24 pm

I don´t... just trim my beard every 2 weeks or so with hair clippers... I haven´t fully shaved in years...
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

airportugal310

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Since Christmas, been using a Norelco electric shaver. Awesome thing

Before had been the Gillette Fusion, but I was getting tired of having to lather up. Additionally, though not as easy, its great for going around my goatee. Doesnt visibly distort the shape, whereas if you screw up with a razor...
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

ShyFlyer

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Gillette Fusion ProGlide & Shave Secret shaving oil.

Over the years, I've tried various razors and shavers, electric and not, different cremes, powders, and pre-shaves will little to no success in getting a close shave and minimal to no irritation afterward. The above combo, done while in the shower, works the best.

I don't use a mirror.

I don't need one either when I'm using an electric shaver but if I'm using a regular razor then a mirror is required, otherwise I'd surely cut myself.

I keep a mustache and goatee and using a standard trimmer to keep it neat.

I used to have one, not so much for the look (that was a bonus) but because the hair in that area of my face is some of the toughest to eliminate. Uniform regulations don't allow for it, so it went away.
I lift things up and put them down.

AGM100

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Everytime I shave this happens!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDVfl3OJb8
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

PlymSpotter

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I use an electric razor. I always have a disposable on hand though, as once my electric shaver just stopped for no reason when I was half way through taking a really bushy beard off. That was an embarrassing walk to the shops.  

Dan  

[Edited 2011-01-14 10:44:49]
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Aeroflot777

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:38 pm

I use a Gilette M3 Power - get's the job done. Thankfully, I only need to shave once a week. Definitely happy about that one.

Aesma

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Currently there is no regularity for me, so when I want to shave, the first step is the electric beard trimmer. I also use it on the head as I'm bald. Then, gillette mach 3, I never went for the fusion, I find it looks a little overkill. Usually I use an old blade for the scalp and a newer one for the face. Both with regular shaving gel.

I don't really like shaving, takes too much time I find, and my skin can't stand 2 days in a row anyway, so even when I groom more it usually means keeping a short beard with the trimmer. Also, in the morning I'm really not in the mood !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

mbmbos

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:52 pm

I shave in the shower. I use Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream (smells great!) and a Gilette razor.

In lieu of shaving my tongue I use a depilatory.

falstaff

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:05 pm

I shave my face only

Me too and always have. I am a hairy bastard (as a former girlfriend once told me) and I like it that way. I have heard some people call it being a "retrosexual".

I shave in my car/truck on my way to work with my Braun electric razor. I never take my eyes off the road, I just run the thing around my face and can tell by the sound if it is cutting.

I usually shave with a Schick Quattro on the weekends. I have a lifetime supply of blades. My dad's buddy retired from their parent company and gave me a big box full of "samples". I have been using them for seven years and have only made a small dent in the collection.

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 5):
Since Christmas, been using a Norelco electric shaver. Awesome thing

I have one of those too. One for each car, so no matter what I drive to work I have my shaver.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

airportugal310

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 11):
Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream (smells great!) and a Gilette razor.

As did I...Art of Shaving products are wonderful. I have the Sandalwood line and the Lemon line.

Pre Shave oil is a wonderful thing
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

GrahamHill

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:12 pm

I use Gillette Fusion about once a week. I should ideally shave every day but I'm just too lazy! Also I have tough beard and it's really a pain in the neck to shave it. Thankfully my job does not require myself to be shaved every day.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 6):
I don't need one either when I'm using an electric shaver but if I'm using a regular razor then a mirror is required, otherwise I'd surely cut myself.

Same here. Shaving without a mirror would end up in a bath of blood.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

EISHN

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Was using a Gillette blade, but then got an electric Phillips blade a few years ago. I then lost it in Vegas in '07 (left it behind in the hotel room). Then went to a Gillette blade for a few years, but the pain of shaving everyday was getting really bad, and eventually I got another Phillips. The Phillips was great, atlas for me. Very quick shave and pain free. Only downside is that it doesn't get as close. Was using it up until July this year, but lost the power chord in the middle of moving and went back to we shaving. It was like riding a back, came back to me so quickly! Now I just do a wet shave once a week, instead of every day. My skin comes out real smooth and it saves me the hassle of having to do it every day.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

2707200X

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Most of the time I shave with a Phillips Norelco electric shaver but when I shave with a blade I start shaving in the direction of the grain and then against the grain for a very close shave.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Boeing744

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:33 pm

I shave about every 3 days with a Gilette Fusion razor. I could shave everyday but I'm too lazy...

I have struggled with razor bumps (folliculitus) for years now on my neck. It can be very itchy and quite embarassing. There is almost always some level of irritation, although it comes and goes. My face is usually very clear. I have tried everything including different razors (electric, etc.), creams, aftershaves, antibacterial ointments, steroid creams and even acne medication (tetracycline)! The steroid cream helps to some extent but it's not a permanent solution. The only medical solution left that has been recommended to me is accutane which I'm not willing to do. Anyone have any miracle solutions haha?

GrahamHill

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 17):
Anyone have any miracle solutions haha?

Radical solution: remove your beard permanently with laser.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

YYZflyer

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

AF340

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:59 pm

About 3 times a week using shaving soap (either Wilkinson Sword or Truefitt and Hill) and a badger hair brush with a Gillette Fusion razor.

I use Nivea Anti-Irritation Post-Shave Balm after shaving.

As for technique: Usually after a shower when the pores are open using warm water. After just finishing I clean my face using cold/cool water to close the pores. Dry and put on the Nivea Balm.

OA412
Crew

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:16 pm

I use a schick quattro and tend to use Jack Black supreme cream (though I'm out of right now and decided to finish off some shaving creams I received as gifts that I'm less than happy with so I'll be going back to my trusty Jack Black soon enough). I can't use an electric razor as it simpy irritates my face way to much and leaves my skin red and itchy even after prolonged use when I should, theoretically, be used to it.

All right, I know this will devolve into areas no one should really go (after all this is A.net

Come now, whoever would do something like that?  
Gillette Fusion ProGlide & Shave Secret shaving oil.

Over the years, I've tried various razors and shavers, electric and not, different cremes, powders, and pre-shaves will little to no success in getting a close shave and minimal to no irritation afterward. The above combo, done while in the shower, works the best.

I have the same problem as you, and after much experimentation, I've found that the above combo works for me.

Same here. I've been forced to do it a few times, and the end result was a bloody mess.

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 9):
I use a Gilette M3 Power - get's the job done. Thankfully, I only need to shave once a week. Definitely happy about that one.

Up yours.    Seriously, I wish I only had to shave once a week. I shave every other day and that's only because I'm lazy and don't do it every day like I really should.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 12):
Me too and always have. I am a hairy bastard (as a former girlfriend once told me) and I like it that way. I have heard some people call it being a "retrosexual".

Hmm, haven't heard "retrosexual" before.

I shave in my car/truck on my way to work with my Braun electric razor. I never take my eyes off the road, I just run the thing around my face and can tell by the sound if it is cutting.

OMG, this sounds like the male equivalent of those crazy broads who apply makeup while driving.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

airtrainer

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 21):
Seriously, I wish I only had to shave once a week. I shave every other day and that's only because I'm lazy and don't do it every day like I really should.

This reminds me that I have to shave today, and I just wish it had be done yesterday... Good thing is that I'm going to work in a few minutes and I usually shave there during the night, saves me 10 minutes to come on A.net when I'm home    
I use a Gillette Fusion with Barbasol shaving foam (bought in the US, no kidding ! I once had to buy shaving foam during a holiday in Arizona and found the Barbasol to be very cheap, comfortable and long lasting...).
Life is short : eat dessert first !

falstaff

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:45 pm

OMG, this sounds like the male equivalent of those crazy broads who apply makeup while driving.

pretty much. Except I don't take my eyes off the road. It is easy to shave without looking in a mirror. I would think that putting on makeup must be done, by looking in mirror. However since I have never worn makeup I really wouldn't know the procedure. Shaving in the car isn't new; Chevrolet offered an electric razor way back in 1955. I have also seen it listed as a Ford Accessory in 1987.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

noelg

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Once a week, on a Monday morning. Can go 10 days between, but keep it to Mondays for sake of a routine. I use a Gillette Fusion with Gillette gel and hot water. Always after my shower to get my face moist.

photopilot

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Scraping your face with a steel blade!!! How terrible is that. I've had a full beard for 35 years now and that's the ONLY way to go IMHO.

par13del

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:57 pm

And here I was reading this thread to find out how it is done. 

1. Every day for the last 10-20 years, I forget
2. Brush teeth, shave using regular soap, then shower.
3. Use any Gillette disposables, preferrably the double blades. Dump them every 2 or 3 days.

I believe the daily routine prevents bumps and irritation, I also shave with and against the grain.

fr8mech

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Every work day in the shower with cream and a razor. Touch up about 8 or so hours later at my desk with a Norelco.

Try to avoid shaving on my off days unless the wife says I have to shave for whatever social event we may be headed to.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

cgnnrw

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:31 pm

I use a Philipps XL and Balea Aftershave for Men. I usually shave everyday Monday-Friday and give my face a rest on the weekends.

Years ago (and I mean years ago) when I still swam competively I would shave my underarms and legs. Not sure that it helped though. Never shaved anywhere else, didn't trust myself I guess  
A330 man.

nws2002

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Proraso shave cream from the tube, a badger hair brush, and an old school safety razor. Best shave I've ever had, and the blades are way cheaper than the Mach3 blades I used before.

desertjets

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:06 pm

I don't particularly like shaving as my facial skin is somewhat sensitive, especially on my neck. Typically 3x weekly (M,W,F) using a MACH 3 with Gillette Foamy Sensitive skin. I shave after showering over the sink. First pass is with the grain, second pass is against. i have a 5 o'clock shadow by lunchtime.

And seeing as I am usually half awake when I shave I tend to miss spots. Typically the same areas too. So by the time I get to work I notice that I missed a spot.... again.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Aeroflot777

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:21 am

Up yours. Seriously, I wish I only had to shave once a week. I shave every other day and that's only because I'm lazy and don't do it every day like I really should.
Quoting airtrainer (Reply 22):

Haha, yeah. I really enjoy not having to do it more than once a week - I hate the activity as it is, so more often would just plain old suck.

Quoting noelg (Reply 24):
Once a week, on a Monday morning. Can go 10 days between, but keep it to Mondays for sake of a routine.

Exactly the same case here.

Aeroflot777

WarRI1

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:39 am

Everyday at the sink, first with a Gillette razor and Gillette shaving cream, then with a Norelco Electric. I cannot stand to miss spots. Cannot do it without a mirror.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

YVRLTN

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:52 am

I shave my own head to #1 every week, so trim my beard at the same time to the same grade - its a battle I can never win so I dont. If Im clean shaven in the morning I have full stubble by the evening. After a week I have 5mm, so the first week I will trim my whole head and face to #1 all over, then the second week will leave a goatee which grows to 10mm then shave it all off just using the beard trimmer with no comb, so thats not clean shaven but down to '5 o'clock shadow' and the process starts over again...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

TSS

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:58 am

Quoting hka098 (Reply 3):
With a disposable razor about twice a week.

Once a week here with a Bic disposable.

I am a hairy bastard (as a former girlfriend once told me) and I like it that way. I have heard some people call it being a "retrosexual".

You da man, Falstaff! I love the term "retrosexual"!

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 22):
found the Barbasol to be very cheap, comfortable and long lasting

Barbasol rules! Not too thick, not too thin, the same pressure and consistency from the first squirt to the last, and it's definitely "budget-friendly". I just hate that they stopped making version with the lemon-lime scent... about 20 years ago!   
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DocLightning

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:19 am

I should, by all rights, shave every day. But I can get away with M/W/F. I tend not to shave on vacation unless my beard gets itchy/scratchy.

I use a Schick Quattro and whichever shaving gel is cheapest (typically store brand). Follow it up with a staff slap of Aqua Velva (or generic equivalent). And I do shave in the mirror or I'll rip my face to shreds.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 27):
Every work day in the shower with cream and a razor. Touch up about 8 or so hours later at my desk with a Norelco.

Does your beard make a rustling sound as it grows?

I remember in 8th grade we had a kid in our class who already had a full beard. When asked Senior year "What has changed most about you since Freshman year?" he answered "I now get 5 o' clock shadow at 10AM instead of 2PM."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

N1120A

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:00 am

I generally shave 2-3 days a week, and will always shave before going to court. My facial hair is dark and grows fast, but I also look good with some scruff, so no biggie. I shave with Art of Shaving Lavender and a Fusion (no battery, such a gimmick). The blades last forever, even with the goat hair I call a beard. That is a nice thing.

As with Falstaff, I'm a hairy dude, so when I'm going on a beachy vacation, the chest gets shaved.

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 11):
Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream

I use the lavender. Switched when L'Occitane made it impossible to find the travel size of their L'Occitan line shave gel, which smells quite similar. I bought the travel size of the AoS lavender and liked it so much that I switched to the big tub for home use when I ran out of L'Occitane.

Quoting photopilot (Reply 25):
Scraping your face with a steel blade!!! How terrible is that. I've had a full beard for 35 years now and that's the ONLY way to go IMHO.

I remember a guy who worked at the local Post Office who had a really nice, brushed out beard and long hair who said "I have no desire to get up and scrape my face." I can grow a rather impressive beard and do every so often. Last one was shaved off on my birthday (November 20) in 2009.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

brons2

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:23 am

I shave every day immediately after exiting the shower. I always seem to get the best results right after a hot shower. I use Edge "advanced extra comfort shave gel for sensitive skin" and a Gillette Fusion. I bought both the razors refills and gel at Costco in large quantities so they last a long time, although when I do have to buy, it's a big bill.

I find the Fusion blades work best with a light touch, there are 5 blades after all. I start with the neck and do that in two passes, the bottom half shaved towards the collarbone and the top half shaved towards the chin. I then shave along the jawline from ear to chin until smooth, and then follow up with the cheeks shaved upwards towards the eyes. I go both directions across the upper lip. The chin is shaved straight down. I use scalding hot water to rinse the blades between strokes.

When I was riding bicycles several hundred miles a week I would shave my legs and arms once a week. Legs were shaved upwards towards hips, arms inward towards the shoulders. Done in the bathtub following a shower, once complete would use the shower to rinse off again. Moisturizing lotion as a followup.

I had a girlfriend from Russia once who liked me to shave my pubic hair. There's no real good way to do it that I discovered, my skin was always irritated even if I followed with lotion or aftershave. However, she made it worth my while and then some. I miss her sometimes :-/
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

fr8mech

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:35 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
Does your beard make a rustling sound as it grows?

It should. I can have a "shapeable" beard inside of 4 days. Any guesses as to who got to buy the beer in high school?

I learned something interesting years ago when I was a firefighter. It was almost guarenteed that after a 'good' fire, I would need to shave. Didn't matter if I had shaved right before the fire. My wife suggested that it may increased testoserone or adrenaline levels related to the exertion.

Aeroflot777

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 am

Quoting brons2 (Reply 37):

I had a girlfriend from Russia once who liked me to shave my pubic hair. There's no real good way to do it that I discovered, my skin was always irritated even if I followed with lotion or aftershave. However, she made it worth my while and then some. I miss her sometimes :-/

It's very common in Russia/Eastern Europe for men to shave their armpits and "keep tidy" in all areas of the body. Not sure exactly why - but it's common.

Boeing744

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 18):
Radical solution: remove your beard permanently with laser.

Yeah I'm definitely not willing to go that far. I dunno, it's a problem that bugs me, but I've also had other people tell me that they barely notice it. I'd like to get rid of it, but I don't think it warrants a "radical solution."

signol

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:32 pm

I have one of these:

I use it every day, as if I leave it a day, it hurts to shave.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

ShyFlyer

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
I remember in 8th grade we had a kid in our class who already had a full beard.

I knew a kid like that too. Name was Nigel. Though, to be honest, his wasn't quite a "full" beard, as it was spotty and patchy.

He was an odd fellow too, the type that you'd suspect took Dungeons & Dragons just a bit too seriously.
I lift things up and put them down.

tb727

Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:00 am

I've been thinking of switching to a nice straight razor once for when I have lots of time to shave which is well, most of the time. I've been using a Schick Fusion for a few years and recently switched to Barbasol shaving cream and got much better shaves. The last few weeks I have been foaming my face with shampoo/conditioner in the shower right before shaving and it has really helped with cutting down on irritation.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

AirCanada787

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:22 pm

I shave pretty much everyday, sometimes on Sundays when I don't have class or work I don't shave due to pure laziness. I use a Braun Syncro 7505 on my face.

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 39):
It's very common in Russia/Eastern Europe for men to shave their armpits and "keep tidy" in all areas of the body.

I have a Philips Body Groom Pro to 'keep tidy' everywhere below my neck.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

747srule

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:47 pm

Let me give all of you a great idea.Soak your blade in baby oil between shaves. This will coat the razor and will give you an incredible close shave. It will save you from getting cuts and I can go against the grain. This is the only way to shave!!!!
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

Tugger

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 pm

When I was using my electric shaver that was my routine, every morning on the way to work or when at work in the parking lot, shave. Then I lost the cord.... (but there's more news now, below) so I went to the Fusion and like it a lot. I only have to shave about two to three times a week using it.

Quoting EISHN (Reply 15):
Was using it up until July this year, but lost the power chord in the middle of moving and went back to we shaving. It was like riding a back, came back to me so quickly! Now I just do a wet shave once a week, instead of every day. My skin comes out real smooth and it saves me the hassle of having to do it every day.

That's what happened to me. But the good news is that I just found the cord to my Norelco 8883XL this weekend cleaning out some old boxes! I am very jazzed, and now will keep it in the car again for the "work shaves" when needed. I don't plan on stopping using the Fusion but will probably go to using it just once a week (when I want a really smooth face).

Quoting photopilot (Reply 25):

Well, you do SOME kind of "grooming" on that mass of hair on your face, don't you?    (the only smiley with face hair   ) Or does your mustache cover your mouth completely  (or maybe you go for the handle bar look)?

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
Fusion (no battery, such a gimmick). The blades last forever,

I have to admit, the blades do last for a long, long time (for me about 4-6 months). Heck, my wife started to use it too and it still lasts several months.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

fr8mech

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 46):
I have to admit, the blades do last for a long, long time (for me about 4-6 months).

Are you kidding me??? 4-6 months??? I get a week, 10 days max, and the blades are tearing up my face.

fatmirjusufi

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Beard trimming machine.
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

Tugger

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 47):
Quoting tugger (Reply 46):
I have to admit, the blades do last for a long, long time (for me about 4-6 months).

Are you kidding me??? 4-6 months??? I get a week, 10 days max, and the blades are tearing up my face.

Not kidding at all, the Fusion blades seem to be very good. My wife used to use disposable twin blades and after a week or so you could see rust starting in the corners of the blade. That does not happen with the Fusion blades, even over several months.

I don't see if you mentioned what kind of razor you use but remember that this thing has 5 blades so the "abuse" of shaving is spread over a lot of blades. Also I see that you have a fast growing beard and I only shave two to three times a week (and I can just use soap and water). Whatever is different, my face hair is probably not as "tough" and maybe my skin is OK with "rougher" blades.

Tugg