ManuCH
Crew
Topic Author

3D TV Without Glasses: A Different Approach

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:40 pm

OK, this one really surprised me. I was aware of new technology to produce 3D TV images without glasses, but this approach is different. Have a look!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/15/m...-tech-in-the-blink-of-an-eye-video

I think it's hilarious... I would also hope that it's some kind of a joke.

What do you think? Is this just a prank that even Engadget believes in?
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Fly2HMO

RE: 3D TV Without Glasses: A Different Approach

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:46 pm

I have heard of other techniques to have stereoscopic vision without lenses but this is new to me. This is very clever.

Quoting ManuCH (Thread starter):
What do you think? Is this just a prank that even Engadget believes in?

It's real as far as I can tell. The tiniest amount of electricity in the right spot will trigger muscles accordingly. However, I can't imagine this being approved by the FDA.

[Edited 2011-01-19 09:48:46]

ALTF4

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:18 pm

Hahaha - yeah, that post. I follow engadget religiously and lol'd when I saw that.

It is a joke.

Put the youtube video up on full HD and watch the eyelids - they are definitely CG. They picked a good guy to use, though, because if you watch his blinks, he shows very little signs of other muscles being used, but there is a definite difference between the real blinks and the CG blinks.

Lastly, try blinking really fast (and you're not even blinking half as fast as you need to) for 5 minutes straight. Thats all that is needed to convince yourself its not real. That is completely ignoring the impresiceness of the blinks as well (yes, I know, they are supposed to be electronically triggered) - mechanical glasses will always be more accurate and timed better when it comes to speed and precision and I don't think your muscles would co-operate for a whole movie.

Edit: Also, notice the tags engadget used when posting it: "humor", "joke" and "funny", among others.

[Edited 2011-01-19 10:20:22]
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

DeltaMD90

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Has anyone been to that one rollercoaster in MGM (I think,) the Rock and Rollercoaster (or something along those lines)? In the line to get on, there are 3-D videos in there that looked very cool to me. You didn't need glasses and it looked very realistic. The screen was back against the wall and there was a window you looked through (that created the 3D effect I believe.) Hard to explain if you never seen it.
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)