BMI727
Topic Author

Rahmbo Off Chicago Mayoral Ballot

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Rahm Emanuel was ruled ineligible to run for Chicago mayor since he has not resided in the city for a year before the election. But here is the caveat: an exception to the residency rule is made for "national service." Call me crazy, but I would suggest that serving as chief of staff to the president most certainly qualifies as national service, but the court for some reason uses a narrower definition.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/01/...g-court-tosses-emanuel-off-ballot/
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

alberchico

RE: Rahmbo Off Chicago Mayoral Ballot

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:49 pm

And yet Hillary qualified to run for the senate in NY despite having been in Washington for most of the 90's

Go figure.......
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

AGM100

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 1):
Hillary

Rhambo has a few more enemies in Chicago than Hillary did in NY. Somehow all this is tied to the Daley family.... I smell a fishy ...

Daley replaces Rhambo .... as COS for Obama and Rhambo gets axed off the ballot ...seems the President has changed up his circles a bit in my opinion. Rhambo is too close to the Clinton's for Obama in 2012 ... I was shocked to see him in the administration to begin with. Not surprised Obama is aligning to a new group of politicos from Chicago.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

sw733

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Me thinks some Chicago judge(s) want(s) a payoff...

Ken777

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 pm

The court's decision is a bit queer. WHile it is targeted at one individual it may adversely impact others in the future.

As such the decision can lead to a reduction in a reduction in national service, which is the opposite of where we should be going.

NIKV69

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 pm

And yet Hillary qualified to run for the senate in NY despite having been in Washington for most of the 90's

Go figure.......

Exactly, I am not the biggest Emanuel fan but I don't get this at all. Something is up. He should be eligble to run.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Venus6971

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Oh great this makes Carol Mosely(what income tax?) Brown the front runner. Are you telling me in a city of over 2 million there are not any other descent canidates. Or any others who can afford to pay for play. I rather vote for Hugo Chavez than her.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

Aaron747

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 3):

Or they don't want a Jew running a town that still thinks it's Irish-Catholic?? Just a thought...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Cadet985

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:53 pm

I fully expect appeals to the State Supreme Court, and perhaps even SCOTUS. But here's a thought. Emmanuel can start a huge write in campaign. It might just work.

Marc

AGM100

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 6):
Oh great this makes Carol Mosely

Ah yes ... I forgot . Now that is interesting ... she has a interesting past . Very very left wing like Obama ... and his circles in Chicago. Community reinvestment act ... Rezco development stuff and of course ACORN . Oh well ... elections have consequences .

I sense a war coming with the Clinton's .... Mrs. Braun threw Billy Clinton right under the bus a few weeks ago ..and took away his first black President title .
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Mir

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 8):
Emmanuel can start a huge write in campaign. It might just work.

There is the drawback that his name isn't the easiest to spell (the way you did it is, in fact, wrong). And if you think the fight in Alaska over Murkowski was bad, imagine what it would be in Chicago's political system.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

falstaff

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Go figure.......

The rule for senator's, or any other elected official, eligibility is set by the states. RFK was also a senator from New York, but didn't live there.

Either way, he couldn't be seated because he isn't eligible.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):
Or they don't want a Jew running a town that still thinks it's Irish-Catholic?? Just a thought...

Or the fact that he doesn't meet the legal requirements to run. These laws aren't new, they have been on the books for a long time.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

NIKV69

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:16 pm

I fully expect appeals to the State Supreme Court, and perhaps even SCOTUS. But here's a thought. Emmanuel can start a huge write in campaign. It might just work

He is so popular I don't see him not becoming Mayor.

[Edited 2011-01-24 12:49:25]

BMI727
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 4):
The court's decision is a bit queer. WHile it is targeted at one individual it may adversely impact others in the future.

Exactly. I see no logical way in which being Chief of Staff could not be considered national service.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 11):
Or the fact that he doesn't meet the legal requirements to run. These laws aren't new, they have been on the books for a long time.

But the law says that there is an exception for national service. Again, how is being chief of staff not national service?

MadameConcorde

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:25 pm

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

falstaff

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 13):
But the law says that there is an exception for national service. Again, how is being chief of staff not national service?

I do see that as national service, but the court may see national service as serving in the armed forces or Peace Corps. His job was purely optional, he didn't have to take it. Someone in the miltary that has orders to be someplace else is a different story.

alberchico

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm

with less than a month to go till election day ?

The rule for senator's, or any other elected official, eligibility is set by the states. RFK was also a senator from New York, but didn't live there.

simply because some states allow it dosen't mean it isn't carpetbagging....
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

BMI727
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 15):
but the court may see national service as serving in the armed forces or Peace Corps.

Obviously they do, but what I haven't seen is why this is any different from being Chief of Staff.

His job was purely optional,

So is joining the all volunteer armed forces.

falstaff

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:33 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 16):
simply because some states allow it dosen't mean it isn't carpetbagging....

It is carpetbagging that is for sure!

For those of you who don't know what that term means: It was was a slang term that came out of the reconstructionist south after the civil war. A carpetbag was a suit case; meaning that outsiders were coming into the south after the war and running for office. The suitcase reference meant they were from out of town.

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):
There is the drawback that his name isn't the easiest to spell (the way you did it is, in fact, wrong).

Maybe Chicago voters can just write in "Dead Fish"  

falstaff

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 17):
So is joining the all volunteer armed forces

It is, but they decide where you go.

Revelation

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 18):

Most Chicago voters don't do their writing because they are already "Dead Fish"! 
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

sw733

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:45 pm

or Peace Corps. His job was purely optional

Peace Corps is purely optional. When is the last time you heard someone joining PC and going to Wyoming? It's always abroad...they know they will be dispatched abroad, unlike the military where it's not always the case.

BMI727
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 19):
It is, but they decide where you go.

Nobody joins the armed forces without expecting to move.

alberchico

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:50 pm

national service has always been traditionally defined as military service so I see no reason why an exemption should be made in this case. The fact that there are so few good candidates shows the stifling of local politics under the political machine of the Daley family.

[Edited 2011-01-24 12:51:58]

fr8mech

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 13):
Again, how is being chief of staff not national service?

I don't buy that being COS for a president is national service. He wasn't the COS for the country, he was COS for a man. That the man happened to be President of The United States is of no consequence.

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):
There is the drawback that his name isn't the easiest to spell (the way you did it is, in fact, wrong). And if you think the fight in Alaska over Murkowski was bad, imagine what it would be in Chicago's political system.

Does Chicago have a "you must spell the name absolutely correctly law"?

Either way, he couldn't be seated because he isn't eligible.

If he's not eligible to run ofiicially, I would assume he is not eligible to be on the ballot, at all.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Mir

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 24):
I don't buy that being COS for a president is national service. He wasn't the COS for the country, he was COS for a man. That the man happened to be President of The United States is of no consequence.

Who did his paycheck come from? If it came from the US government, then it's national service.

Does Chicago have a "you must spell the name absolutely correctly law"?

I'm sure they could drum one up fairly quickly.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

redflyer

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Emmanuel can start a huge write in campaign.

He could, but then he couldn't be sworn in because that is the whole issue here - legally he isn't eligible to be mayor.

In the big scheme of things, I find this whole thing to be peculiar. While I don't care for Mr. Emanuel or Illinois Democrats, I'm stunned at this turn of events. The ruling really hinges on a technicality and if it stands, it really sends a bad message. Given the ballots are going to print this week since they have to start sending out absentee ballots next week, Mr. Emanuel may actually not get a favorable ruling in time.

And the worst part of it all is that Chicago could very well end up with a buffoon as a mayor, which would be on top of having had a crime syndicate boss for a mayor the past 20-some years.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

JBirdAV8r

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:44 pm

I thought "national service" was even more narrowly defined than "in the military," as in...."drafted into the military."

Either way, this is a semantics debate...an unfounded one at that.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Aesma

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 pm

Why such a strange rule and not something simpler like having lived XX years or XX% of ones life in the city/metropolis ? After all, it's an election, if the people there think he's not Chicagoan enough, they just won't elect him.

For those of you who don't know what that term means: It was was a slang term that came out of the reconstructionist south after the civil war. A carpetbag was a suit case; meaning that outsiders were coming into the south after the war and running for office. The suitcase reference meant they were from out of town.

In French we call this parachuting  A notable one is last (and next) presidential election candidate Ségolène Royal.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

fr8mech

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:17 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 25):
Who did his paycheck come from? If it came from the US government, then it's national service.

By that criteria, I was in national service when I did some contract work in the early 90's. What about the Social Security recipient? SNAP (welfare) recipients?

Look, I could give a darn if Rahm is elected mayor of Chicago. I have no intention of visiting, much less live, in what I consider one of the most corrupt, left wing cities in the union. But if the man is not eligible, he's not eligible.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Okie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:38 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 27):

Either way, this is a semantics debate...an unfounded one at that.

Well, not necessarily, take the time to read the opinion.
The law in question states "resides in" not "residence"
Why would you have a law that would only allow voter eligibility for property owners only, the opinion states that according to the law he had to "reside in" to be eligible. I could own property and pay taxes in many communities but I "reside in" only one.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 27):
I thought "national service" was even more narrowly defined than "in the military," as in...."drafted into the military."

Not quite that tight but according to the law stated in the opinion it only made exceptions for military, congress, and senators. It did not make exceptions for someone working a government job whether it was at the pleasure of the President or any other government job.

I do not think Rahmbo is going to have much of a chance getting the decision overturned by the time for the Mayoral election.

Okie

ltbewr

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:05 am

Rahm comes off like a 'carpetbagger' trying to run for mayor of Chicago, he should have tried to run for a city representative first to show some real interest. I am not surprised to this court decision on a law to prevent those not true residents and not specifically exempt from the true residency requirement. Better the next mayor be someone who represents the real majority of the residents, someone who is middle class, better from the 'south side' which is mainly non-white, and knows real politics in that city.

Superfly

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:56 am

Quoting sw733 (Reply 3):

I was thinking the same.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):

Well Chicago has already had 2 Black mayors.

LOL! 
Oh great this makes Carol Mosely(what income tax?) Brown the front runner. Are you telling me in a city of over 2 million there are not any other descent canidates. Or any others who can afford to pay for play. I rather vote for Hugo Chavez than her.

Carol Mosley Braun would be a good mayor for Chicago actually.
I say that because she would be completely incompetent and clueless and nothing will get done. Getting nothing done is probably a good thing given the direction of the city of Chicago and a few other major US cities. Getting things done in big cities in the US today means raising taxes, passing more useless, restrictive gun laws, going green, tearing down freeways, destroying airports, putting up more expensive condos that no one can afford, making excuses for street thugs, wacky new experiments with their board of mis-education and punishing working class people. Therefore, I'd rather an see incompetent figurehead like Carol Mosley Braun as Chicago mayor.
She wouldn't have destroyed Meigs Feild like Daley.
With the new income state tax increases in Illinois, Braun would not have the political skill to strong-arm businesses in to staying in Chicago so that could be very good news for Northwest Indiana.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 31):
Better the next mayor be someone who represents the real majority of the residents, someone who is middle class, better from the 'south side' which is mainly non-white, and knows real politics in that city.

You mean a Community Organizer?
Please, give the racial politics a rest.
Perhaps Bobby Rush would be a good mayor but he is content with his role as a US Congressman.
Bring back the Concorde

Venus6971

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:51 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 32):
Carol Mosley Braun would be a good mayor for Chicago actually.
I say that because she would be completely incompetent and clueless and nothing will get done. Getting nothing done is probably a good thing given the direction of the city of Chicago and a few other major US cities. Getting things done in big cities in the US today means raising taxes, passing more useless, restrictive gun laws, going green, tearing down freeways, destroying airports, putting up more expensive condos that no one can afford, making excuses for street thugs, wacky new experiments with their board of mis-education and punishing working class people. Therefore, I'd rather an see incompetent figurehead like Carol Mosley Braun as Chicago mayor.
She wouldn't have destroyed Meigs Feild like Daley.
With the new income state tax increases in Illinois, Braun would not have the political skill to strong-arm businesses in to staying in Chicago so that could be very good news for Northwest Indiana.

I knew there would be a angle to get some love for Gary and Hammond,is there a Walmart or Cosco just over the border yet, but your statement has merit, if they elect a total schmuck like her it would power in the hands of the alderman and ward bosses. She would be just a figurehead but I foresee big money coming in from 26th street( 2nd in retail sales to Michigan Ave) and the next mayor will be a Latino. Another thought would be if Brown is elected that will decentralize power out of Cook County where the rest of the state has a chance.

Superfly

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:32 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 33):
I knew there would be a angle to get some love for Gary and Hammond

Well of course.  
Perhaps I should have rephrased my comments and said; Carol Mosley Braun as mayor of Chicago would be good for the greater Chicagoland area.
I'm a Democrat and I still think it's time for the corrupt machine of Chicago to be shut down!
I'm glad that Chicago didn't get the Olympics and I'm glad the Green Bay Packers eliminated the Bears chances of going to the Super Bowl.
Why?
It's less revenue going to the most corrupt political machines in the nation.
Granted the Olympics nor a Super Bowl victory wouldn't have generated long-term revenue for the city but it does expose how limited and powerless their machine is outside of the greater Chicagoland area.
Far too long, the corrupt Daley machine has called all the shots on everything in the Chicagoland metro at the expense of Northwest Indiana and down state Illinois.
Rahm Emanuel would have been Richard Daley part II.
More of the same corruption but with ties to Washington which makes him potentially more dangerous than Daley.
Carol Mosley Braun would be a powerless mayor which would be a great opportunity for surrounding communities to attract businesses and run their cities without interference from the thugs in the Chicago political machine.

I think it's hilarious that Rahm Emanuel left his prestigious Chief of Staff position in the Obama administration only to be humiliated back at home.
What other government job can Rahm Emanuel take?

http://timesonline.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/16/rahm_emanuel_2.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

NIKV69

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
I'm a Democrat and I still think it's time for the corrupt machine of Chicago to be shut down!
I'm glad that Chicago didn't get the Olympics and I'm glad the Green Bay Packers eliminated the Bears chances of going to the Super Bowl.
Why?

Your so right Larry! I do like Rahm though he called the pro left out!

sw733

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm glad the Green Bay Packers eliminated the Bears chances of going to the Super Bowl.

Dude...respect GONE  

Dreadnought

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 25):

Disagree. Public service, IMHO is the military or elected office. The COS position is neither. It was just a job - a high profile one to be sure, but just a job for which he was picked by someone.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

BMI727
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Why?

Are you kidding? Getting the Olympics would have ruined Chicago financially.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 37):
Public service, IMHO is the military or elected office.

So what about cabinet positions? Being a member of the cabinet or chief of staff is certainly national service.

Dreadnought

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 38):
So what about cabinet positions? Being a member of the cabinet or chief of staff is certainly national service.

Nope. At that point you are still just an appointed employee.

Military service or elected office.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

LON-CHI

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Oh great this makes Carol Mosely(what income tax?) Brown the front runner.

If Emanuel is truly out of the race, Gary Chico will pick up a lot of his votes and be the front runner.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 2):
Rhambo has a few more enemies in Chicago than Hillary did in NY. Somehow all this is tied to the Daley family.... I smell a fishy ...
Quoting sw733 (Reply 3):

Ed Burke, probably the second most powerful Chicago politician, helped elect the 2 judges that ruled against Emanuel. Burke is also backing Chico for mayor. And Burke's wife is a judge on the IL Supreme Court, which may soon be hearing Emanuel's appeal.

Politics in Chicago & Illinois are rarely boring!

ALTF4

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 25):

Ah, good to know, good to know.

I can now trump myself as being a part of "national service", whatever that is called. Maybe I'll even put it in my signature!!  
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Superfly

Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 36):
Dude...respect GONE

I love the Bears as well as the Packers.
If this was any other year, I'd route for the hometown team but I just don't want Daley presiding over any Super Bowl homecoming parades his last year in office. I swear I can't stand that b@$-@_d!

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 38):
Are you kidding? Getting the Olympics would have ruined Chicago financially.

How so?

Quoting LON-CHI (Reply 40):
Gary Chico will pick up a lot of his votes and be the front runner.

Sure about that?
Carol Mosley Braun is former US Senator and still popular among Chicago Democrats.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 41):
I can now trump myself as being a part of "national service", whatever that is called. Maybe I'll even put it in my signature!!

I don't even know you yet I'd vote for you over Raham Emanuel or Richard Daley if he ran for another term.  
ALTF4 for mayor!   

Can Rahm Emanuel get a normal job in the private sector? Why should he feel entitled to a government job?
Can Emanuel get 99 weeks of unemployment until Obama, Hillary or Daley secure him another government job?
Bring back the Concorde

ALTF4

Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:52 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):
ALTF4 for mayor!

First day in office, I'd get Meigs field on its way back and then resign when it was finished. I'd be the best mayor ever.  
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Ken777

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Rambo is back on the ballot.

The State Supreme Court stepped in according to CNN (TV)

So, for a while, it's back in the hands of the lawyers instead of the voters.

LON-CHI

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Quoting LON-CHI (Reply 40):
Gary Chico will pick up a lot of his votes and be the front runner.

Sure about that?
Carol Mosley Braun is former US Senator and still popular among Chicago Democrats.

That's what the media is thinking...

http://www.suntimes.com/3474119-417/...co-emanuel-business-race-rahm.html

Superfly

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting LON-CHI (Reply 45):
That's what the media is thinking...

http://www.suntimes.com/3474119-417/....html

Doesn't matter at this point. Most of the damage that could be done in Chicago already has been done.
Rahm will just finish off what Daley couldn't destroy before he left office.
Bring back the Concorde

Venus6971

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):

"Braun is conceding nothing. She hopes to inherit black and independent white votes that might have gone to President Obama’s former White House chief of staff. "

The black vote maybe forget about the white vote. Looks like Chico has the big money behind him if Rahm cannot run. Brown only has 450,000 compared to Rahms 11million in cash. Besides she was a embarassment to the country and Illinois as a US Senator.

Longhornmaniac

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Illinois court issued a stay, Rahm is back on the ballot.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ssues-stay-rahm-back-on-the-ballot

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

BMI727
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:34 pm

How so?

Because Chicago had no way to pay for the venues, etc. to host the Olympics. Not getting them was one of the best things that happened to Chicago.