TWA1985
Topic Author

New ABC Drama About Pan Am!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 pm

ABC just picked up a new drama about Pan Am and the lives of Pilots and Stewardesses in the 1960's. Should be interesting.

Here's a link: http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/434123_tvgif25.html?source=rss

[Edited 2011-01-26 12:55:57 by srbmod]
Live Young. Live Wild. Live Free.

DIRECTFLT

RE: New ABC Drama About Pan Am!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Or, they could do a Pan Am airline drama of an alternate future....

[Edited 2011-01-26 12:08:07]
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

mfe777

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 pm

This is cool! I will definitely be watching.

Also, TNT is planning a remake of the 80s hit "Dallas." They said it won't focus on the oil industry like the first one, but a new industry described like this:

"I don't want to give away the plot, but she found something authentic to business and to Dallas that allows them to trade on the same dynamic of the super wealthy," Wright said. "Dallas was always something of an Upstairs Downstairs paradigm. If it wasn't the rich and poor, it was attitude -- entitlement versus a populist point of view. This covers all that."

With Southwest and AA based in Dallas, we may have another airline centered TV show coming.... at least that's my hunch.

txjim

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:48 pm

I believe the subject has already been documented!

srbmod

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:02 pm

I would call this the "Mad Men Effect". As the result of the success of AMC's "Mad Men", the broadcast networks are trying to replicate this with their own 60s era shows of a similar ilk. NBC has given the green light to a pilot called "Playboy" that focuses on the Playboy Club in NYC in the 1960s (I guess the appearance of the Playboy Club in an episode of Mad Men this season gave someone the idea to develop a show.).

Hopefully this is miles better than NBC's ill-fated LAX show several seasons back.

LAXtoATL

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Quoting mfe777 (Reply 3):
TNT is planning a remake of the 80s hit "Dallas."

BEST NEWS EVER!!!

You made my day. Not sure how I didn't already know this, but I am grateful for you bringing it to my attention!

(oh yeah, the Pan Am show sounds interesting as well)

[Edited 2011-01-26 13:24:59]

mattdell

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 pm

I hope this is on the same caliber as Mad Men!

BMI727

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 4):
As the result of the success of AMC's "Mad Men", the broadcast networks are trying to replicate this with their own 60s

You have to wonder about things on networks. For example, Southland seems to have gotten better after the move to TNT.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 4):
NBC has given the green light to a pilot called "Playboy" that focuses on the Playboy Club in NYC in the 1960s

Probably mediocre on NBC but I bet it would be great on HBO.

Quoting mfe777 (Reply 2):
Also, TNT is planning a remake of the 80s hit "Dallas." They said it won't focus on the oil industry like the first one, but a new industry described like this:

"I don't want to give away the plot, but she found something authentic to business and to Dallas that allows them to trade on the same dynamic of the super wealthy," Wright said. "Dallas was always something of an Upstairs Downstairs paradigm. If it wasn't the rich and poor, it was attitude -- entitlement versus a populist point of view. This covers all that."

How about an Entourage-esque semi-biographical show based on Mark Cuban?
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

TWFirst

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 5):
BEST NEWS EVER!!!

You made my day. Not sure how I didn't already know this, but I am grateful for you bringing it to my attention!

Well then this should give you the big 'O'....

Larry Hagman has signed on to be in it! Show is evidently going to center around JR's son John Ross Jr., and daddy is still in the thick of things.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

LAXtoATL

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 8):
Well then this should give you the big 'O'....

Larry Hagman has signed on to be in it! Show is evidently going to center around JR's son John Ross Jr., and daddy is still in the thick of things.

Thanks for the info, but after learning of the show I immediately googled it and I saw that Larry Hagman had just agreed to be part of it (and yes I did get a little tingle), seems Linda Grey and Patrick Duffy will be apart of it as well and Keifer Sutherland will be playing John Ross. They have the casting so all they need is a good story and actors seem to really like the script. I can hardly wait...

TWFirst

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 9):
Keifer Sutherland will be playing John Ross.

Hmmm.... not sure how I feel about that. He doesn't look like Larry Hagman or Linda Grey, plus he seems a little old for the role, doesn't he? John Ross would be about 30 now, right? Sutherland is 44.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

IMissPiedmont

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 pm

Well, I won't see that one, I don't get ABC. Probably no loss, It will likely last as long as "San Francisco International Airport" did.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

BMI727

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 11):
Probably no loss, It will likely last as long as "San Francisco International Airport" did.

Was that longer or shorter than LAX?
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

thomasphoto60

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Quoting TWA1985 (Thread starter):
ABC just picked up a new drama about Pan Am and the lives of Pilots and Stewardesses in the 1960's. Should be interesting.

Indeed, though my experiences on PA were during the 70s and 80s. Still, I'll probably give it a look (if time permits)

Probably no loss, It will likely last as long as "San Francisco International Airport" did.

I was a wee-lad when this aired thus I don't recall any episodes (mainly because my parents would let me stay up so late), save for the pilot (if you'll pardon the pun) which occasionally airs from time-to-time. BTW, how long did it last?

Quoting mfe777 (Reply 2):

For the love of God.....NO! I hated this when this first aired, why re-hash this garbage?

BTW, when will Hollywood give Houston get it's "15 minutes" of infamy in the form of a weekly TV series? Seems that every major US city has had at either a show made in that particular city, at least in part or has used those cities as settings for said series. Yet nothing for ol' H-Town....are we that boring?

Hell, even Detroit (Detroit 1-8-7, ABC) has a series.

[Edited 2011-01-26 16:03:27]
"Show me the Braniffs"

fridgmus

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 am

The Big Three will screw it up, as they tend to do and end up cancelling it early despite good possibilities.

Let a cable network do it right the first time HOPEFULLY and give it a chance to mature into a good show.
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

Airstud

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 am

So when does the Pan Am one hit the airwaves?   
Pancakes are delicious.

Superfly

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 am

Well, I won't see that one, I don't get ABC. Probably no loss, It will likely last as long as "San Francisco International Airport" did.

Or the TV show 'Flying High'.
I remeber watching this when I was 5 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PocbPm2CF_k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrU82zN1jiE
Bring back the Concorde

thomasphoto60

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:39 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):

Or the TV show 'Flying High'.
I remeber watching this when I was 5 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PocbPm2CF_k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrU82...N1jiE

Yep, I was in my mid-teens when this aired. Lot of T&A action, which was probably the most appealing aspect to the show.
"Show me the Braniffs"

Superfly

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:48 am

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 17):
Yep, I was in my mid-teens when this aired. Lot of T&A action, which was probably the most appealing aspect to the show.

That TV series helped shaped me to be the man I am today.  
I was too young to understand the plot but really, who cares?
You've got 747s and lots of T&A, a plot isn't all that necessary. 
Bring back the Concorde

steeler83

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 am

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 13):
For the love of God.....NO! I hated this when this first aired, why re-hash this garbage?

Yeah, they should bring back Dynasty!

bitch! [slap]
slut! [slap]
bitch! [slap]
slut! [slap]

This Pan Am series should be interesting. It's odd though. I haven't seen any advertisements for it yet.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 15):
So when does the Pan Am one hit the airwaves?

That's what I'm wondering. Considering my above statement, I'd assume either this summer or perhaps the fall...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

TSS

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:14 am

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 13):
Seems that every major US city has had at either a show made in that particular city, at least in part or has used those cities as settings for said series.

Be thankful Houston hasn't been featured badly in a TV show. The one (and as far as I know, only) show set in Birmingham, Alabama was Lifetime's "Any Day Now", which was apparently written by people whose entire knowledge of Birmingham was gleaned from news clips from the early 1960s. Aside from the fact that the entire theme and premise of the show pandered to the very worst stereotypes of Alabamans in general and Birmingham natives in particular, any time directions were given on the show they were wrong (often hilariously so), and the whole thing was clearly and obviously filmed in Southern California (hint- neither palm trees nor agave plants can be found growing here outside of greenhouses).

Back to the original topic of this thread, I'll be interested to see the pilot episode of the Pan Am series. I can only hope they've hired a technical editor who knows his (or her) stuff.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Superfly

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:17 am

I hope this TV show will have a nice theme song featuring lush orchestra arrangements with real session musicians.
That is an art that his been lost over the last 25 years.
Bring back the Concorde

goblin211

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 pm

I'd watch it if I grew up during that era. For someone as young as me i'd not really relate to it. Interesting idea though.
From the airport with love

Type-Rated

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Houston did have a little detective show back in the 80's, Houston Knights. It was about two Houston detectives riding around town in a Jeep solving crimes.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

fxramper

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Hope they do it better than LAX.