Ken777
Topic Author

How Are You Preparing For The Blizzard?

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:04 pm

Those of us in the Midwest have been getting news for the past few days of a major blizzard heading our way.

Chicago news indicates it could be deadly, especially if your're in a car and not prepared.

Some schools in Kansas are already closed according to some reports.

We have done the food bit, have full tanks of gas for the cars + blankets, etc. The son-in-law is taking care of gas and setting up the generator on the back porch so we can have power & central heat if our power goes out.

So, if the storm is heading your way, how are you preparing for the rest of the week?

And, yes, I know our Aussie friends are stopping at the shops to stock up on sun block & beer.   

GBLKD

RE: How Are You Preparing For The Blizzard?

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:35 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Thread starter):
And, yes, I know our Aussie friends are stopping at the shops to stock up on sun block & beer.

Don't forget the Aussie friends who have lost everything in a massive flood

I hope all of you facing the blizzard stay safe and get through it in one piece.

[Edited 2011-01-31 15:06:03]

Centre

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 pm

Just heading out to the store for shopping... Just making sure I have enough Diapers for the boy.

South Ontario.
I have cut 4 times, and it's still short.

Kent350787

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Apart from the ones in Queensland facing a major cyclone, expected to hit the coast tomorrow night with gusts up to 280kph. Evacuations of low-lying areas has already commenced. At least it's north of the flood affected areas of the other week, but certainly no fun....

fr8mech

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Mainly, hoping that the weather reports hold true and the stuff stays mainly north of me. But, me being me, the cars are full of fuel and have an emergency kit with warm clothes and some non-perishable food/water in them.

The generator is fueled, the kerosene heaters are fueled and have plenty (I hope) spare fuel for both.

Pantry is usually fairly well stocked. Make a trip to Kroger tomorrow for some perishables, but that's a normal Tuesday trip for me.

Hopefully, the schools stay open. As of late, they have been closing because of the threat of snow or ice. The kids will be in school until the middle of June if this keeps up.

Good luck to those of you in the upper Midwest...it sounds like you may need it.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Kent350787

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 am

Best wishes and safe passage for everyone affected by major weather events. Apart from the Qld cyclone, a record heatwave (in terms of length) is forecast this week for my city....

Ken777
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:29 am

Quoting GBLKD (Reply 1):
Don't forget the Aussie friends who have lost everything in a massive flood

I won't - we flew over a lot of the flooding on our PER-BNE flight while the water was still high. (The flight was put in a holding pattern for a bit out of BNE to keep away from the rescue choppers.)

My brother-in-law there was talking about an $80 tax on couples with income over $50K to pay on infrastructure. Not a bad idea at all. Wish we had gone that route after our major hits, like Katrina.

skysurfer

Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:51 am

We're only going to get up to 12" of snow, maybe a little bit more so really the only thing i have to worry about is the thought of shoveling the driveway! However, the car is fully juiced should it be needed (don't plan on going anywhere though), the 'pantry' has enough tinned/dry goods in there, fridge is nicely stocked and there's a few large water bottles on hand. Candles/torch, batteries and matches are easily at hand and all that's left to do is grab a 'liquid lunch' from the friendly liquor store to help stave off the snow demons. All in all i think i'm good to go, so to speak.

Cheers

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

Okie

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:03 am

Those of us in the Midwest have been getting news for the past few days of a major blizzard heading our way.

The storm is just getting underway here in OKC.
They originally had us for 3-6" snow with 40+mph winds with 6-12" up your way Ken (TUL)
Just broke into programing on TV to say we will be getting 16-18" 40+ winds and 5-6' snow drifts.
Snow storms are forming up and training NE along I-44 no telling how much snow TUL will get.

The Hummer is fueled up and ready to go bust some drifts.

Okie

Revelation

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:03 am

Another 12" - 18", so what...

Actually I am getting a bit concerned about the big bad slabs of ice on the front of my garage roof.

It's my first year in the house, too bad the last owner didn't give me a heads-up.

Tomorrow I have a fairly important meeting.

Hope I can talk the boss into letting me telecommute.

It'd be a real PITA to drive through that stuff just to be in the office for a half hour or so.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

tz757300

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:17 am

With as much snow as we've received this year, this next round of snow isn't phasing me much. Sure, it's significant, but I just want it over with so I know summer is on it's way. But I did just go grocery shopping so I think I'm prepared for it.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

ER757

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:27 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 9):
Actually I am getting a bit concerned about the big bad slabs of ice on the front of my garage roof.

Just don't be standing underneath them when you slam the door shut. You may have to go knock them down eventually. I remember doing that way back when I lived in Chicago and we had storm after storm and it didn't warm up and melt what fell. The winds drifted the snow into big cornices hanging over the edges of the roof. Got up on a ladder and with a long clothes pole, started knocking them loose so they didn't bend the gutters and/or fall on someone's noggin.

Best of luck to those in the storm's path. A true blizzard is no fun at all, especially if you are out on the road. Hope you all stay safe.

Ken777
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:35 am

Quoting okie (Reply 8):
Just broke into programing on TV to say we will be getting 16-18" 40+ winds and 5-6' snow drifts.
Snow storms are forming up and training NE along I-44 no telling how much snow TUL will get.

Oooops!

We're looking at sleet before the snow (supposedly) and someone was saying the less snow you get the more sleet.

16-18" for us would be pretty wild as TUL is somewhat hilly. Our TV had a fast weather update indicating a lot of sleet (heavy during the night) turning to snow tomorrow.

Keep the Hummer in the garage and stick with the sleds.  

Kent350787

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:59 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 10):
phasing

Sorry for OT, but this should be fazing - just a personal crusade of mine.

Anyone want to swap (likely) bushfires for snow  

DocLightning

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:15 am

I have to say that I'm really glad I'm not in residency anymore.

In residency, if you're working on the inpatient units, guess what you are? "Essential Personnel." Come hell, high water, meteor strike, Mayan apocalypse, or any combination thereof, your ass is going to work. Even if you have to walk.

Then again, I'm going to work tomorrow, anyway. 62 and sunny.   
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ABQ747

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 am

Here in ABQ, we are expecting snow accumulations of only about 3 inches. On Wednesday night, the low temperature is forecast to be -3° F, and we won't see temperatures above freezing until Friday. Other than that, I'm not really too worried. It looks like the storm will be hitting the midwest and east coast a lot harder than us. I will be sure to stay informed of the road conditions, though.
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

Geezer

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:13 am

We live in western Indiana, 20 mi north of Terre Haute, and 8 mi from Brazil; went to Wal Mart in Brazil this afternoon to pick up a few things........while I was in "automotive" getting a wiper blade, Arlene was waiting in the check-out line, and up comes this big "red neck" Brazilian, and he says....."Wal, guess we gonna git a biggin tomarra, hadda git me a heater, case the lectricity go out". Arlene looks in his cart, and the guys got an electric portable heater; so she says " you gotta generator ? He says,,,,"wass thet ? She: "you know, thing you sit on the porch, put gas in it and it makes electricity".......
He's having a little trouble trying to "comprehend the concept", so he says, " wal, Imma plug this thing in an it heat the whole damn trailer up" ! So Miss Arlie says......."good luck" !

We already had freezing rain before we left, but on the way back home, the roads getting pretty icy, and my Dodge diesel dually ( which isn't 4-wheel drive ) isn't the best thing on icy roads, but being a
the world-class driver that I am, ( and creeping along ), we got home with no problem. Along the way, she's telling me about the hill-billy in Wal Mart, and I laughed so damned hard I was afraid I was gonna run off the road !

It's after midnite now, the rain is stopped, temp is steady at about 28 deg ( F ), just took the dog out for his late nite "pee", and all the trees have about 1/2 in of ice on them. Then, tomorrow we're supposed to get "THE STORM" ! 3 to 5 in of snow, and 30 mi / hr winds ! The snow is no problem, I can handle it, but the ice weights the trees down , they fall across the power lines, and I'll be in the same boat as the red-neck ! We'll see what tomorrow brings, I guess......

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

DocLightning

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 16):

He's having a little trouble trying to "comprehend the concept", so he says, " wal, Imma plug this thing in an it heat the whole damn trailer up" ! So Miss Arlie says......."good luck" !

Sometimes, you have to leave Darwin to his own devices.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Type-Rated

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 am

If you are in an area where this storm is headed, please remember to bring your pets inside. This weather is just as dangerous to them as it is to you.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

n6238p

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Well at GYY we got guys bringing their sleeping bags and food so the airport stays open. Lucky for me I have tomorrow off. I bought a bunch of comfort food and ate a lot of it on the drive home today. It took me over an hour to get from the Dan Ryan to I-55 and Pulaski. I really wish I didn't put my food on the seat next to me. Oh well I got enough beer to last me through the day. If the power goes out, the beer will stay cold.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

IMissPiedmont

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 pm

have full tanks of gas for the cars

Why ? If the weather is that bad you sure aren't going to be driving in it.

I'm preparing for the cold mornings by getting a blanket out of the closet, I hate it when it gets below 40F.   
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

n6238p

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 pm

My truck will not start if I got less than 1/4 tank below 10F. It took me 2 hours to drive 30 miles and 26 of those were on expressways. Many people will not need to drive, a few of us still have to get to work.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

Ken777
Topic Author

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:53 am

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 20):

I have my car in the driveway pointed to the street in case we have an emergency of some sort. I also fill them in case there are "price increases" after the worst of this is over.

One other issue we are considering (when the weather gets better) is a larger generator that is tied into our natural gas supply, automatically switching on if power is lost. Our only question now is if we stay in this house, or get one that is easier living - energy efficient and all on one level.

WarRI1

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:04 am

If you lose power for days after say an ice storm, you will hope you have full tanks on your vehicles. I have been without power for more than a week more than once. I always fill my tanks, plus extra tanks to run my generator.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Type-Rated

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 am

Nine months from now there will be a considerable jump in the birth rate in areas affected by this storm.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

seb146

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:03 am

I know our Aussie friends are stopping at the shops to stock up on sun block & beer.

Here in the Bay Area, we have a saying: Blizzard? What blizzard? Besides, some of us in the Bay Area are preparing for the blizzard by going to San Diego!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

OA412
Crew

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:20 am

We were lucky. We didn't get any snow, just freezing winds.    Sure made for a fun time while running errands today.   It's currently 0F (-18C) outside, but the wind chill means it feels more like -15F (-26C). Fun times!

Quoting type-rated (Reply 24):
Nine months from now there will be a considerable jump in the birth rate in areas affected by this storm.

Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

fr8mech

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 pm

A. Because you may mis-calculate and get caught in the stuff.
B. Highways close and strand people before and during storms because of wrecks before they close due to snow (usually).
C. It is a convenient place to store 15 or so gallons of gasoline for the generator should the situation get real bad.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Okie

Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm

We had 12"+ of snow on top of thunder ice/sleet with 45 mph winds drifts 3ft or more are common.
The good part is that the storm came during the overnight hours and most did not try to negotiate the snow yesterday keeping the streets clean of stalled vehicles. The winds subsided last night and the road crews have done an excellent job of clearing the main thoroughfares. You just have to watch for the 4ft piles of snow left behind by the plows to get into side streets or businesses.

Caution Caution Caution
Do not attempt to approach the shopping malls those tens of thousands of kids that could not get to school seem to be able to drive to the malls.

Okie

MadameConcorde

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm

I cannot fly tomorrow.
My United flight from Frankfurt to ORD is cancelled and so is my flight from ORD to IAD.
UA has rebooked me later this week. Will be very full flights and I am losing one travel day out of 3...

This is how my blizzard will be.  
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

IMissPiedmont

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 27):
A. Because you may mis-calculate and get caught in the stuff.
B. Highways close and strand people before and during storms because of wrecks before they close due to snow (usually).
C. It is a convenient place to store 15 or so gallons of gasoline for the generator should the situation get real bad.

Ah ! That makes sense. But the worst I get is a bit of cold and a dusting of snow in my yard.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 22):
I also fill them in case there are "price increases" after the worst of this is over.

Well that is a given.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Ken777
Topic Author

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 30):
Well that is a given.

To some degree. We have a Price Gouging Law in OK and the Governor has activated it for this storm.

The good news for us is that the electricity is still on - and the trees are clear of ice. We can handle the storm & snow as long as the utilities are functioning.

Geezer

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:39 am

Well, we were doing O.K. last evening, until about 9 PM.........then the lights went out, (along with it the furnace, the water pump, the TV, and of course, the computer ! )

Fortunately, I had anticipated the possibility of it happening, as we already had a lot of ice on things, about 3 in of snow on the ground, and the forecast was for "freezing rain"; knowing what happens to trees when we have a lot of ice, I had already filled up 8 plastic pails with water, had already brought in a lot of firewood for the fireplace, and a lot more on the front porch.........so we were as ready as you can be. ( We had even taken our showers early, so as to not get caught "unprepared" in case of "blackout"; When the lights went out, I already had a fire going, but trying to keep a fireplace going with just flashlights is a "pain in the butt"; finally gave up about 2:30 AM, and went to sleep. Woke up about 8:30 AM or so, and the house is now down to 58 degrees ( F )

It rained all night, transforming the 3 in of snow into 3 in of solid ice; the whole yard was covered with branches and large limbs that had broken off due to the weight of the ice. Fortunately, I had filled up all the bird feeders just before dark, so there were now about half the birds in the county having "breakfast" in the back yard ! Replenished the inside fire wood from the porch, messed around taking a few pictures of the "icy mess", and the lights came back on about 4 PM !

My major problem now is my diesel P/U truck; even though I keep it "plugged in" at night, when the power goes out.........
but that isn't a problem............the "problem" is the solid 1/2 inch of ice from the front bumper, to the rear bumper, windshield, door handles, you name it, it's got 1/2" of very "hard" ice on it ! ( I knew damned well I was gonna regret not getting that car-port for the trucks built before it got cold weather ! ) ( Another "top priority" project for this coming spring / summer ! )

And so goes the "joy" of living in good ole "rural" Indiana !

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Revelation

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:16 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 32):
My major problem now is my diesel P/U truck; even though I keep it "plugged in" at night, when the power goes out.........
but that isn't a problem............the "problem" is the solid 1/2 inch of ice from the front bumper, to the rear bumper, windshield, door handles, you name it, it's got 1/2" of very "hard" ice on it ! ( I knew damned well I was gonna regret not getting that car-port for the trucks built before it got cold weather ! ) ( Another "top priority" project for this coming spring / summer ! )

I haven't seen this one dealt with too easily.

I recall one friend's mom bring out a huge pot of water she just boiled and poured it around the door, but it didn't do squat.

And another friend actually rigged up an extension and a hair dryer but it too didn't do squat.

All I recall is just chipping away at it with an ice scraper till it gave away.

Get the door handle free first, then chip away at the gaps around the door, giving the door a tug whenever you feel like it.

Eventually it'll break loose, then you go in the car and start the engine and put all the defrosters on full and let it run for a while.

Of course if the driveway and the streets are just as icy, why bother?
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

MadameConcorde

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:30 am

Flight Rebooking Message
Dear MADAME CONCORDE,
We regret to inform you that a cancellation has affected the following flight(s):

Flight Number: 941
Operated By: United Airlines
Departing From: Frankfurt Germany
Date: February 3

This is just one flight out of 3 cancelled flights.

How is the on site situation at ORD and IAD snow/blizzard wise?
Any airport pictures available?

MadameConcorde

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 am

I am too late to edit. Some pictures here. Very impressive.
I can understand why flights are cancelled. Airports must beunder no-landing condition.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Lake-S.../ss/events/us/020211lakeshoredrive

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...s/new-slideshow-midwest_2011-02-02

Has anyone got any airport pictures in the blizzard?

MadameConcorde

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Too late to edit my previous post.

This article has a series of stunning pictures of the snow storms that have hit parts of the U.S. of A. the last couple of days.

America braces for NEW snowstorms as country digs out from 'bomb scene' blizzard of ice and snow that crushed buildings and killed 12

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ushed-buildings.html#ixzz1Cv77pqG7

flyorski

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 36):
This article has a series of stunning pictures of the snow storms that have hit parts of the U.S. of A. the last couple of days.

Wow! Thank you for posting that! I find it highly informative, and the photos are stunning. Definitely the best photo report of the storm I have seen so far. Thanks for posting. For those who live in these areas now, good luck dealing with the cold that is due to arrive. Its been freezing cold outside with wind-chill the past couple of days here in Utah and that should move east now. We are expecting our next snow storm to arrive tomorrow or Saturday and then move over and blast the Midwest and east again. Be safe everyone.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

MadameConcorde

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:19 am

This is another updated article with more pictures of the storms.

And the worst isn't yet over for Americans, especially in the Midwest. Today the blizzard has passed - but as skies clear temperatures are expected to plunge to 30 below this morning.
In a region where hundreds of thousands of people have been left without power or transportation, it could prove deadly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ushed-buildings.html#ixzz1D4BUz4UD

U.S. Snowstorm Seen From Space: Wild Weather Captured By NASA (PHOTOS)

The storm, which is covering a third of the U.S., is captured in the following images by NASA's Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) aboard NASA's Terra satellite as well as the GOES-13 satellite.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...ily+Brief&utm_campaign=daily_brief

[Edited 2011-02-04 23:40:09]