Aaron747
Topic Author

Valentich Disappearance 1978

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Not to bring up the whole UFO lore thing again, but I recently came across this story again and was captivated. I'm pretty skeptical of most things but there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't add up to an easy explanation in this guy's case. Any Aussies want to comment?

Unsolved Mysteries segment on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct9yIz7USAk

The long and short of it - a guy rents a plane in 1978 for a short cross-country flight, reports an unusual aircraft to ATC along the way, and after 10 minutes or so disappears from radar, while over water. He is apparently somewhat frantic according to the controller involved and the transcript reflects his increasing distress. He describes an aircraft with a green light pacing his C-172 and eyewitnesses apparently also came forward describing a green light in the area near Valentich's aircraft, some three years before the official report was released containing the ATC transcripts.

What the hell happened to this guy? Occam's razor tells me he must have faked his own death, as witness accounts don't seem to account for a loss of control / disorientation incident. Interesting.

If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ArmitageShanks

RE: Valentich Disappearance 1978

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:12 am

A bit off topic but there are some really interesting and bizarre mysteries out there. Here's a link to Wikipedia articles about some interesting ones. You can spend hours researching some of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mysteries

A particularly interesting and mysterious case I've been following for a while:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Maura_Murray

YVRLTN

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:24 am

Hmm, the guy had a puff or two, encountered St Elmo's fire, freaked out and forgot about flying the plane. It seems they didnt actually send any divers into the water, its probably down there though in little pieces and he was shark food.

As for the eyewitnesses, I guess they saw the St Elmo's fire too.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:18 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 2):
Hmm, the guy had a puff or two, encountered St Elmo's fire, freaked out and forgot about flying the plane.

I don't find St. Elmo's fire to be a plausible explanation, especially considering it is whitish-blue or violet and certainly never green. St. Elmo's fire is also not capable of movement over distance and would clearly be emanating from the aircraft structure, propeller radius, etc.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

falstaff

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 1):
there are some really interesting and bizarre mysteries out there

One of my favorites is the missing B-25 in Pittsburgh.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/transportation/a/b25_bomber.htm

My dad remembers when this event happened and he and his dad went by the area where the they were looking for the plane. My dad later worked at J & L Steel, which was nearby the crash site, and many workers there eye witnesses to the crash. Dad said it was a popular topic of conversation in Pittsburgh in the 1950s and 60s.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:15 pm

^
That's a great story, but how does it help to explain what happened to Mr. Valentich??

ArmitageShanks

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:23 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 5):
That's a great story, but how does it help to explain what happened to Mr. Valentich??

It doesn't. That's why its a mystery.