comorin
Topic Author

Lady Gaga's New Song "Born This Way"

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:48 pm

In other news, Egypt had a revolution today...

Now, LG has a new hit out that sounds a lot like Express Yourself - what do you guys think? Will this become an anthem?

http://www.kikaxemusic.com/news/pop-...gaga-just-release-a-madonna-b-side

Mortyman

RE: Lady Gaga's New Song "Born This Way"

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 pm

The song is actually recorded at Livingroom Studios in Oslo, Norway.

There is a picture pf Lady Gaga in at thr studio in Oslo in this article:

http://www.vg.no/musikk/artikkel.php?artid=10029963

The new song gets 4 dots on the dice by the reviewer

chepos

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm

I like the song, catchy and I am almost certain the song will hit number 1 shortly.

Regards.,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

Mir

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:06 am

Not her worst song, but can't say I'm that into it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

san747

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:41 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
Not her worst song, but can't say I'm that into it.

I second that. Not a bad song, but I'm not in love with it. Let's see what the whole album has to offer.
Scotty doesn't know...

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:49 am

I think it's her most Madonna-like song. I'd be curious as to what a.net's pink brigade thinks of it! is it really catchy enough to be an anthem?

DocLightning

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:37 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 5):
I think it's her most Madonna-like song. I'd be curious as to what a.net's pink brigade thinks of it!

It has to be. Lady Gaga has been, from the outset, one of the music industry's most vocal supporters of gay rights. She's young, 23-24, IIRC and this was her message from day one. She made it clear that she was going to take our cause to the masses and that she was going to be a huge ally. I may not love her music, but she has my deepest respect for her artistic talent... and my deepest gratitude.

Furthermore, Lady Gaga is a drag queen. She's a woman, yes, but she is still a drag queen. (So is Dolly Parton).

Will this join the ranks of "We Are Family" in the gay community? Only time will tell, but it was clearly written as an anthem for us. We'd be ungrateful not to use it.

Thank you, Lady Gaga. I'm glad to know we have a friend and a powerful ally in you.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):
Furthermore, Lady Gaga is a drag queen. She's a woman, yes, but she is still a drag queen. (So is Dolly Parton).

I think I know what you mean, but could you please explain? (would Joan Rivers and Bette Midler also qualify?).

luckyone

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 7):
would Joan Rivers and Bette Midler also qualify?).

Joan Rivers, yes. She's beyond a drag queen even, she's a dime store mannequin. Bette Midler, probably not. Her success has never been predicated much on her image besides her own self-deprecating jokes about her "pretty legs and great big knockers."

I personally am not a fan of the song. It reminds me too much of disco, a genre I'm not particularly fond of, and when I heard the song I just kept wanting to sing "Don't Leave Me This Way'' alone with it.

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 8):
and when I heard the song I just kept wanting to sing "Don't Leave Me This Way'' alone with it.

Wow, I had that same reaction! There is something in the song that is evocative of other songs, by design, I think.

TWFirst

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 5):
I think it's her most Madonna-like song. I'd be curious as to what a.net's pink brigade thinks of it! is it really catchy enough to be an anthem?

It definitely has potential... one of those songs that it takes a few listens to really connect to, but once you do, you can't get it out of your head... not unlike her "Telephone" song.

Will this join the ranks of "We Are Family" in the gay community? Only time will tell, but it was clearly written as an anthem for us. We'd be ungrateful not to use it.

Elton John says he thinks it's going to be the new "I will survive"... not sure about that, but it's definitely another massive hit in the making.

LG is awesome. Going to see her for the first time in Oakland next month!
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

DocLightning

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 7):

I think I know what you mean, but could you please explain? (would Joan Rivers and Bette Midler also qualify?).

Well, first of all, there is no cut-and-dry definition of what is and what isn't a drag queen.

But generally I think of a drag queen as dressing up in overly exaggerated feminine clothing and hair, very often with a costumey overall genre to it.

Madonna has approached it, but she doesn't do the exaggerated makeup and costumes that Gaga does. Dolly Parton? You bet. My favorite Dolly quote was when asked how long it took to do her hair and she said: "How should I know? I'm never there for it!" Tammy Faye Messner was another one, although less so.

Joan Rivers? I don't see the exaggeratedness of her dress. Nor do I see it for Bette Middler.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):
But generally I think of a drag queen as dressing up in overly exaggerated feminine clothing and hair, very often with a costumey overall genre to it.

OK, thanks for clearing that up! I know drag queens like to impersonate Joan Rivers, Bette Midler and Marilyn Monroe - all with flamboyant personalities!

Trivia: I remember as a grad student (1970's) some gay friends took me to a disco - quite the experience. This was before there were straight clubs. I usually associate music with a time and a place - so now I'm wondering, what was the first disco song ever?

UAL747

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:48 pm

The thing I do not like about it is that it took no musical creativity. It borrows almost exactly the same chord progressions from Madonna's "Express Yourself" and the spoken part follows the exact same beat and tone from "Vogue." It really took no musical talent to write this. Yeah, you have a different intro, and finale, but every chord is the same as the Madonna songs.

Words are great however. So I'm somewhat torn? Lady Gaga has always had her own vision and really didn't borrow others styles to a great deal, so to see this much blatant copying, it just bothers me.

But, people....all day long....have been posting, "Don't be a Drag, be a Queen!" as their FB status. It's annoying. So anthem, maybe so...
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

baguy

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:57 pm

An interesting interpretation........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2wVsABJP74

BAguy

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 13):
so to see this much blatant copying, it just bothers me.

Is it copying or is it a tribute? - just wondering...

UAL747

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 15):
Is it copying or is it a tribute? - just wondering...

It was never announced as a tribute to Madonna.....but is being rumored to be the "Gay Anthem." AFAIK no credit is given to Madonna.
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

cerretaman

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:31 am

Not gonna lie, I'd marry LG in a heartbeat...def my biggest celeb crush.

Listened to the song like 20x today; it's catchy!!   
u mad cause i'm stylin' on you?

Mir

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:49 am

The more I hear the song, the less I'm impressed by it. And that's not because it bears resemblance to Madonna or whatever, because I've never heard the stuff it's being compared to. I just don't think the music was very well thought out.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

mham001

Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:17 am

Not impressed, not even particularly catchy.

codeshare

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:24 am

Not the first and not the last time she will copycat another artist.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Mudboy

Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:41 pm

I am just not feeling it, like I do with her other songs. It sounds forced, and not from the heart. What I mean is, as a songwriter, you get a melody, an idea, and the creative juices start to flow. It seems like she wanted to write a song about this subject, and it is not as natural as an idea that just popped in your head, while taking a shower, driving down the road etc.
I respect the hell out of her as a singer and songwriter, because she is multidimensional when it comes to her songs, but this is not her best work. The chorus is ok, but it does not have that hook, like her other hits. As far as sounding like Madonna, who cares? The more songs that come out over the years, in the same genre, some are going to sound the same.
I hope this song does well, but I am hoping the CD is much better.

comorin
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:28 am

I like the song more as I hear it more often. The change in register that she does with her voice is impressive. I think her 'egg' performance at the Grammys tonight was quite spectacular! The song made it to #1 in 21 countries within minutes of release. I'm a big fan because she is a real downtown artist.

ouboy79

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:00 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 13):
Lady Gaga has always had her own vision and really didn't borrow others styles to a great deal, so to see this much blatant copying, it just bothers me.

Honestly, I've listed to both several times and it really isn't all that close. Yes, it can pass as a Madonna-like song, but nothing the blatant copying you are saying.

It definitely isn't as bad as Flo Rida, Rhianna, Black Eyed Peas and to an extent Katy Perry (E.T.) that have copied songs.

Mudboy

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:13 am

I have to say, she kicked azz tonight on the Grammys, and liked the live version. She is one hell of a perfomer!

DocLightning

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:13 am

Quoting cerretaman (Reply 17):

Listened to the song like 20x today; it's catchy!!
Quoting Mir (Reply 18):
The more I hear the song, the less I'm impressed by it.
Quoting mham001 (Reply 19):
Not impressed, not even particularly catchy.
Quoting Mudboy (Reply 21):
I am just not feeling it,
Quoting Mudboy (Reply 21):
I like the song more as I hear it more often.

Well, one thing's for sure: she's controversial!
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Type-Rated

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:52 am

IMHO all you need to have for a drag queen is a man in a dress.........

Even though this is not her best effort, I think La Ga Ga will be around for a long time to come. She is one very talented person. When she first hit the scene I kind of looked up what she had done so far. I was amazed at her own accomplishments and for the others she had contributed to within the music industry before she debuted as an artist herself.

I think this song will appeal to the 18-25 crowd. Come on, Ga Ga you can do better than this!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

elbandgeek

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:04 am

Much like was the case with Alejandro, I'm not feeling it much now but I think it will grow on me. It's still not her best work though, but performed live is much better than the recording.

flynlr

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 am

wow the charlie uniform November something else ..hey gaga Madonna did that in the 80's
The Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:06 pm

I think you have the terminology wrong here Doc, she's a Faux Queen, i.e. a female pretending to be a drag queen, I don't think Dolly is one.

In fact I think Lady Gaga's style is more a modern interpretation of 70's glam, think Freddie Mercery, Mark Bolan, David Bowie, Gary Glitter with a bit of KISS over the top glam thrown in for good measure.

As for the song I think it's crap, I can't see it being an anthem, it's not even close to her best work.

cargolex

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Quote:
AFAIK no credit is given to Madonna.

Part and parcel of the music biz. Madonna hardly ever mentions that her earliest hits were not written by her and were produced by Nile Rodgers from Chic. He basically created her sound. He didn't mind, they both laughed all the way to the bank on songs like "Material Girl." And even Madonna herself is unafraid of sounding derivative, witness the heavy sampling on her last few albums, particularly the Abba sample on "Hung up" from a few years ago.

AGM100

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:52 pm

My daughters were playing it Saturday... for the rest of the day I had " Express Yourself " by Madonna going though my head. Its a awful song ... and I like Gaga ..
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Aaron747

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 23):
Flo Rida, Rhianna

I'd certainly listen to La Ga Ga on repeat all day rather than anything by those two nincompoops. The utter crap that passes for music in the pop r&B contingent these days. Remember when Mary J. Blige worked with Method Man? That was music. Remember when Run DMC covered Aerosmith's "Walk This Way"?

In terms of the Grammy's I wanted to throw something at the TV with that tool Drake traipsing around on stage doing that useless number with Rihanna looking like a tricked out caberet singer. These people got paid for that crap...give me a break  
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

JBirdAV8r

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Blecch. Any 12-year-old idiot with a pirated copy of Auto-Tune and Garage Band could "write" the crap that passes for "music" these days. Most new artists are HORRIBLE without massive vocoder work.

In other news, though, Esperanza Spalding won the Grammy for Best New Artist, upstaging idiots like Justin Bieber and other idiots I've never heard. She is simply phenomenal. There is hope for the Grammys and mainstream musical taste yet...just a little, but it's there...
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Flighty

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Watching her perform this (Madonna) song yesterday, she didn't sing my favorite Madonna parts of the song. So, it was a performance of Madonna's song but without the breakdown that makes that song magic.

While not a professional musician, just a music fan, I could write a much better song in 2-3 hours that that. She took a winner of a song and turned it into a fail!

Aaron747

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:22 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 33):
Blecch. Any 12-year-old idiot with a pirated copy of Auto-Tune and Garage Band could "write" the crap that passes for "music" these days. Most new artists are HORRIBLE without massive vocoder work.

Couldn't agree more.

And talented lasses like this don't even win Grammy's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa8zN4ElAFM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtt0X4V3yM
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ouboy79

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:47 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 34):
Watching her perform this (Madonna) song yesterday, she didn't sing my favorite Madonna parts of the song. So, it was a performance of Madonna's song but without the breakdown that makes that song magic.

While not a professional musician, just a music fan, I could write a much better song in 2-3 hours that that. She took a winner of a song and turned it into a fail!

Yay for more uninformed feedback. Yes it sounded like a Madonna song, but it wasn't. Don't make unsubstantiated claims.  

Thankfully Gaga actually has some real talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HvURBhMGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R3KqrJAI4

atrude777

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:14 am

I posted a review of it in my notes on Facebook, here it is...

Edit
My Review on Lady Gaga's "BORN THIS WAY" and a personal note.
by Alex Trude on Monday, February 14, 2011 at 8:25pm

First time I heard the song, my instant reaction was “hmmh, this needs to be a ballad” It has good upbeat moves, and certainly something one can dance to in the clubs. I think when I pre-read the lyrics without hearing the music I formed my own version of it, and it came out to be a ballad.

Maybe Whitney Houston can perform this song as a ballad, as Lady Gaga mentioned on the Grammy’s last night. A lot of people have messaged me knowing I am a big fan of her, and wanted to know what I thought. The sentence I kept saying was “it’s not THE lady gaga song, I feel that title still goes to “Bad Romance” but, I really have never heard such beautiful lyrics in my life.

Most of you know by now that I am Gay. If you didn’t, you know now. I am not one of those guys who bawled my eyes out first time I heard the song, because I had to sit and think about it. Many proclaim it to be an anthem for gay people. While I can see how many can interpret it as that way, I truly think it is a song for EVERYONE. She covers it in all genres’ races, orientation and whatnot.

I heard it a lot, put it on repeat, watched it on the Grammy’s trying to get into it and like it, the way everyone else has, but something didn’t click with me yet. The song is great, why can’t I relate to it yet? Did the music really need to be a ballad for me to “like it” or was I not letting myself be more open minded?

The song opened talking about what her momma said, and leading to how everyone is perfect, maybe that’s why I couldn’t relate to it just yet? I didn’t see myself as perfect, we all have mistakes, but then I hear her singing “god makes no mistakes”. That is certainly true.

I kept listening, really analyzing the lyrics (maybe more than I needed to) this song was supposed to be THE hit of her, and relate to everyone, so I was determined to find it. The song came on the radio again today, on the way to work so I figured, Ok going to listen to it again.

Then out of nowhere it just hit me, I was “born this way”, and I sure as hell didn’t choose to be gay and sure as hell didn’t choose to be deaf too. All the folks who were against me for being gay, and asked why I chose it, look at me. I am Deaf too, that’s my disability, why the hell would I CHOOSE to be gay, and make my life twice as hard. I didn’t make myself this way, God did.

She sings it word for word, I am on the right track, he didn’t make any mistakes, because I was Born This Way. It left me smiling, and just really appreciated she took the time, whether in 10 minutes or 5 days to write a song everyone can relate to.

So family and friends, love and respect everyone for who they are, if you believe in Capital HIM, respect what he did, he created everyone the way he had us in mind, race, orientation, and disabilities. Love them and me for who we are.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

YVRLTN

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:05 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 26):
I think La Ga Ga will be around for a long time to come

Unfortunately.

Quoting type-rated (Reply 26):
She is one very talented person.

Person or musician? She can make money, that takes talent, but I dont think she is a talented musician.

Shes only big because there is nothing else. Its sad music has got to this point. She named herself after a song written by a real band. Nuff said...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

ouboy79

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:21 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 38):
Person or musician? She can make money, that takes talent, but I dont think she is a talented musician.

Shes only big because there is nothing else. Its sad music has got to this point. She named herself after a song written by a real band. Nuff said...

Have you even bothered to listen to the recordings of her just playing the piano and singing? Look at the links above and then make a comment like this. It is incredible how people can continue to make such claims, when they don't even bother taking the time to educate themselves fully about a topic. However, trolls and haters will always exist and will refuse to consider any possibility that someone who they wish/hopes/thinks is horrible is actually somewhat good.

AustrianZRH

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:46 am

I dont think she is a talented musician

Ever heard her live? I don't think so because if you had you wouldn't say that. Singing speechless unplugged just on the piano definitely showed her musical abilities.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

shamrock350

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 am

There's no doubting Lady GaGa's talent, just watching one of her live performances on YouTube and you can see she's in a completely different league compared to the likes of Rihanna who is usually awful live but I think Lady GaGa often ruins it with this attention seeking wacky image she has but then again would she sell as much without it? Probably not.

This latest single isn't her best, it's catchy and has a nice meaning but other than that it's bland and dated. Unfortunately it's the type of song selling at the moment and her management know this, just look at Rihanna releasing "Only Girl" and "S&M" which are both rubbish vocally compared to other songs on her album so with that in mind hopefully Lady GaGa will have something better in the album like she did with the first one.

WestJetForLife

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:27 pm

Quoting AustrianZRH (Reply 40):

Ever heard her live? I don't think so because if you had you wouldn't say that. Singing speechless unplugged just on the piano definitely showed her musical abilities.

The way she played 'Paparazzi' live, unplugged and on a radio show no doubt goes to show that you don't need auto-tune to make that song (and about 40-60% of her songs) sound great.

Anyway, "Born This Way", to me, isn't just a gay anthem. To me, it's an anthem to everyone who was born with something that they couldn't control. That's my perception, anyway. Yeah, sure, it sounds very Madonna-esque, but to be honest, it's one of those 'landmark' songs that an artist or band writes to establish themselves, such as Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", KISS' "Rock and Roll All Night" or, in a more modern sense, Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl".

Sure, a lot of people say that she ripped off Madonna's "Express Yourself", but it's a pretty damn good song in my opinion.

Nik
I need a drink.

DanTaylor2006

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

I really didn't like it when I first heard it. I thought it was over-produced and too much like Madonna to be considered decent. However, it's now on repeat. It just took a while to grow on me. Seeing the live version at The Grammy Awards is what really got me hooked on it. I still prefer the live version but I'm now really liking the record version too.

This is the second song in the last month that has the message that it's okay to be who you are... Pink's F**kin' Perfect came out a few weeks ago, and now this. A lot of people are going to be able to relate to these songs.

comorin
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Quoting DanTaylor2006 (Reply 43):
Seeing the live version at The Grammy Awards is what really got me hooked on it.

I think it was beautifully done - the costumes, the dance moves and the song itself. LG is too big a star to rip anyone off, and she either speaks to you or she doesn't.

She's also very different in that her DNA is more downtown NY - ghosts of Warhol, Velvets, Patti Smith, Blondie rather than Madonna. Gaga also interviews well and speaks with wit and intelligence.

To be fair to Madonna, LG has yet to come up with a 'Borderline', but GaGa does a better job as an avant-garde artiste.

I'm sold on the song   

[Edited 2011-02-15 10:07:02]

ouboy79

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:12 am

Quoting DanTaylor2006 (Reply 43):
This is the second song in the last month that has the message that it's okay to be who you are... Pink's F**kin' Perfect came out a few weeks ago, and now this. A lot of people are going to be able to relate to these songs.

Definitely a huge push for these types of songs right now to counter the decades of mistreatment of people that may be just a bit different from what is considering "normal". Katy Perry's Firework could also be put into this category.

Type-Rated

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 am

Lady GaGa was on Jay Leno's show the other night and went into quite a bit of detail about how she recorded this song and then took a year to mix it to her satisfaction. If that's the case, I would have hoped it would have sounded better.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

comorin
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:25 pm

So "Born This Way" makes history after only 3 days of retail availability:

Goes straight to #1 on Billboard Hot 100, only 19 songs have ever done that.
1000th #1 song in Billboard's history,
Record- breaking opening week audience at 78.5 million.
Top digital track ever by female artist.

Good job.

from NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...s/entertainment-us-singles.html?hp

YVRLTN

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:22 am

Apologies if this is a LG eulogy thread only, but I have my opinions just as you are entitled to have yours and I know plenty about her. Just to prove I am not simply what you label me
Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 39):
However, trolls and haters will always exist and will refuse to consider any possibility that someone who they wish/hopes/thinks is horrible is actually somewhat good.

I will explain why, not that it will matter. You actually ignored the whole point of my post which was

Shes only big because there is nothing else

And I stand by that. You guys have said as much yourselves

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 32):
The utter crap that passes for music in the pop r&B contingent these days. Remember when Mary J. Blige worked with Method Man? That was music. Remember when Run DMC covered Aerosmith's "Walk This Way"?

In terms of the Grammy's I wanted to throw something at the TV with that tool Drake traipsing around on stage doing that useless number with Rihanna looking like a tricked out caberet singer. These people got paid for that crap...give me a break

In other news, though, Esperanza Spalding won the Grammy for Best New Artist, upstaging idiots like Justin Bieber and other idiots I've never heard.

She has only made it big because there is nothing else. That does NOT mean she has no talent but IMO in any other generation she would just be another singer on the radio. There would not be the hype that there is today. Of course theres no way to prove that or otherwise as we dont have a time machine.

Quoting AustrianZRH (Reply 40):

Of course. I can play the piano as can many others who are not chart topping icons. Doesnt mean she or we have no musical talent but she is not the best pianist since Beethoven and she is NOT where she is because of her ability to play the piano. My point is her GREATEST talent is not her musical abilities. Its about making money. And I dont knock her for it, what she has achieved is her short life so far is phenomenal and shes deserves credit. But today its not pure musical ability that has got many of these popstars where they are, though I readily agree LG is not a mere studio puppet like some, that is obvious. But I suppose today there is a need for the latest and greatest to do something different than what has been done before and we have come a long way from standing there in smart suits and playing good live music. Which is why we get the whole LG circus and IMO from a musical standpoint, there is nothing outstanding about any of her songs. Sure, she has a good voice, but IMO there is nothing technically brilliant about any of it. Instead we have people going to her concerts to see what antics she will be up to and what she will (or will not...) be wearing on stage.

This song is the epitome of what I dont like about her. There is nothing musically special about this song at all, and in this particular case its a rip of an average Madonna song. But its gone straight to #1 - why? Because this is more about producing a commercial success than producing good music. Run out of ideas? Need more than the drag queen persona? Need more than covering yourself in blood on stage? Lets appeal to the gay crowd and make them an anthem...

Look back over the years to other chart toppers. Will her songs still be played on a daily basis 40 years later? Will she still be doing gigs at 68 years old to sell out crowds? Only time will tell.

Hopefully that explains my view that she is a talented person far more than a talented musician.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

MDShady

Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 am

One of her other songs sounds an awefull lot like "Take My Breath Away" from the household favorite Top Gun.

I

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 48):
Of course. I can play the piano as can many others who are not chart topping icons. Doesnt mean she or we have no musical talent but she is not the best pianist since Beethoven and she is NOT where she is because of her ability to play the piano

I concur. Many people can sing and play instruments very well but never hit the big time. To me Lady Gaga'a image seems forced and contrived. I would be so bold to throw out a prediction she'll have to constantly out do herself until finally it exhausts a fan base (if they don't grow out of it first) and becomes plain out annoying. I don't see longevity in a career where the "shock" cards are being burned up rather quickly.