corinthians
Topic Author

Census: Chicago's Population Down To 1920 Level

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Not from Chicago, but I've always been interested in Census results. Chicago's population is down 200,000 since 2000. That's a loss of about 7%. Pretty big, especially considering that the city gained population in the 2000 Census. Most of the population loss seems to be from Blacks leaving the city and going to the suburbs or down South. White population loss was pretty small compared to previous decades. And the supposed influx of Latino's was actually pretty modest. Still, in spite of the city's population loss, the suburbs seem to be doing pretty well and the Chicagoland area grew by around 3%.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...nties-census-data-dennis-sandquist

I've been to Chicago a few times and think it's a nice city with great architecture. Over the last fifty years, the trend's been for these Midwest cities to lose people, though I had thought Chicago stabilized. And since it's the 3rd largest city in the country, there should be more than enough pull in terms of jobs, prospects, activities, etc. I was reading more into this and some articles were saying that high taxes, crime, lack of job prospects and weather were driving factors for the population loss.

Any current or former Chicagoland residents care to comment?

acidradio
Crew

RE: Census: Chicago's Population Down To 1920 Level

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:02 am

There are many ways you could look at this. We are talking about a change from 2000-2010 so you have to factor in an economic boom and an economic bust along with one of the largest home construction drives we've had in post-WW2 America.

While Chicago has a diverse economy it was an industrial stronghold. The US has lost great numbers of industrial jobs to offshoring and automation. Jobs lost that way are not likely to ever come back. And the industrial jobs that remain in the US have moved too. Significant amounts of industry have moved to the South because it is cheap to operate there. Back in the day the Rust Belt existed where it did for a reason - it was the perfect in-the-middle meeting place of coal from the Southern US and Appalachia and iron ore from Minnesota/UP Michigan/Ontario. Now you can put anything wherever you want because it is easy to ship anything you want anywhere you want.

With the housing boom came lots of suburban home construction. People who lived in the city their whole lives and rented now had an opportunity to own that "piece of the American dream" in the suburbs. That could explain some of the exodus from Chicago proper.

In recent years that has been an interesting migration of Blacks to the South. Although emancipation became law in 1865 many African-Americans stayed in the South. It wasn't until around WWI that many African-Americans came north to Rust Belt cities. They came to seek work and they stayed. But jobs aren't what they used to be in the industrial north. In the last decade there has been a noticeable migration of African-Americans from northern cities to southern cities. Why? Probably a few factors: plentiful jobs, cheaper living, want to be closer to family or follow their roots, etc. In reality Americans in general are moving to the South in large numbers because the jobs have moved there and the cost of living is more affordable.

Latinos seem to be going to other parts of the US more now - again they are following the jobs. The jobs all tend to be in the South, in parts of the western US and in pockets/enclaves of the rural Midwest. There just aren't as many jobs to chase in the Rust Belt cities right now.

I'm sure that high crime, high taxes and weather don't help market Chicago. At the end of the day though it is all about jobs. Nobody is going to move to a place where they can't find work.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

Superfly

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:23 am

Quoting corinthians (Thread starter):
Any current or former Chicagoland residents care to comment?

Acidradio summed it up very well.
Do keep in mind that Chicagoland as a whole grew by 3% so people are not leaving the area. They're just leaving the city of Chicago. Away from the wrath of the corrupt political machine of Daley/Emanuel.
Taxes are lower, crime is lower and there is more parking in the surrounding cities.
Schools are much better in the suburbs too. Chicago public schools average 1 homicide a day!
Chicago has some of the highest crime of any other major city. Their community organizer has done a terrible job.
Bring back the Concorde

flanker

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
Taxes are lower, crime is lower and there is more parking in the surrounding cities.

This is true. Chicago has become hell in the last 10-15 years. There was a time in the mid 1990's when I actually enjoyed living somewhat close to the city. Now I will do my best to never live anywhere near cook.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

mt99

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 3):
Chicago has become hell in the last 10-15 years. T

Yikes - i have lived in the city for over 10 years, and there is not a day that regret my choice.

Why - may as ask you feel this way?
Step into my office, baby

Type-Rated

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Chicago is a very expensive place to live. You are taxed to death by the city and the state. Everything seems to be more expensive there. Your money just does not go as far as it does in other places.

And may I add that Chicago is my hometown! I left there years ago because it seemed that no matter how much money I made, it was never enough to enjoy the city the way I thought it should have been enjoyed.

My last apartment in Chicago (1979) rented for $275.00 per month. The same apartment today goes for $1375 per month. And that was NOT in a luxury building.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

FlyPNS1

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 5):
My last apartment in Chicago (1979) rented for $275.00 per month. The same apartment today goes for $1375 per month. And that was NOT in a luxury building.

That's really not that bad. A similar apartment in a decent neighborhood in Washington DC or its nearby suburbs (Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, etc) would run you $1,500+.

While Chicago is expensive, it's actually cheaper than many of it's major city counterparts. Chicago is cheaper than LA, San Francisco, Washington, DC, New York and Boston.

Aaron747

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 6):
LA, San Francisco

Better weather and multiculti flavor.

Washington, DC, New York and Boston

Better salaries and better employment diversity.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

desertjets

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Another interesting finding from Census 2010 is that 1 in 4 counties in the US lost population between 2000 and 2010. The US saw the lowest level of population growth since the depression as well. Throw in a major economic downturn and things aren't going to look too rosy for a lot of places right now.

Quoting acidradio (Reply 1):
Latinos seem to be going to other parts of the US more now - again they are following the jobs. The jobs all tend to be in the South, in parts of the western US and in pockets/enclaves of the rural Midwest. There just aren't as many jobs to chase in the Rust Belt cities right now.

One thing I read several years back is that in the most recent wave of latino immigrants are not favoring big cities/urban areas as much as they did in times past. Given that many of these immigrants came from more rural communities in Latin America they were preferring to find something similar in the US and obviously finding work there. Which explained the massive growth of latino communities in the rural south.

Quoting corinthians (Thread starter):
I've been to Chicago a few times and think it's a nice city with great architecture. Over the last fifty years, the trend's been for these Midwest cities to lose people, though I had thought Chicago stabilized. And since it's the 3rd largest city in the country, there should be more than enough pull in terms of jobs, prospects, activities, etc. I was reading more into this and some articles were saying that high taxes, crime, lack of job prospects and weather were driving factors for the population loss.

I wonder what the population estimates for the city proper were during the boom years of the past decade, when all the hipsters and recent college grads were all flocking to the city -- and gentrifying and driving up rents. I suspect as job prospects changed and as they began having kids decided to leave the city for more family friendly locales. Which tells me that until a generation of young people is willing to stay and invest in their new communities (and not up and leave when they spawn) the major cities in the US will continue to struggle.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

sw733

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:25 pm

You are taxed to death by the city and the state

City, yes. State...taxes are not really above average. State sales tax is 6.25%. Personal income tax is 3%, going up to 5% but still far from the highest. So, Cook and Chicago are bad, but Illinois really isn't...so that also explains why Chicagoland population rose while Chicago population dropped.

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales.pdf

http://retirementliving.com/RLstate1.html#ILLINOIS

Everything seems to be more expensive there.

It's the 3rd biggest city in the country, right up there with Los Angeles...of course things are going to be expensive.

I love Chicago, spent a lot of time there growing up, and most of my family lives there...but I am happy living in Kansas City...schools are just as good, taxes are around the same, but the cost of living is definitely lower (though wages are lower, too).

windy95

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 3):
This is true. Chicago has become hell in the last 10-15 years. There was a time in the mid 1990's when I actually enjoyed living somewhat close to the city. Now I will do my best to never live anywhere near cook.

One of the reason's for me moving to Florida. Where I live we have little crime, no traffic, low taxes and agreat environment to bring up kids.

mt99

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 10):
, no traffic,

But tons of Bad Drivers!

windy95

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 11):
, no traffic,

But tons of Bad Drivers

During snow bird season you have to watch out...To many gray hairs..Toss in all the foreign tourists and yes it can be scary at times.

FlyPNS1

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):
Better weather and multiculti flavor.

Neither of which will pay your bills.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):
Better salaries and better employment diversity.

However, the higher salaries don't offset the higher cost of living.

One of the reason's for me moving to Florida.

Except that Florida's another big ponzi scheme in the making. High unemployment, dismal housing market, bankrupt state insurance funds trying to keep beach front property owners afloat and if conservatives have their way, Florida will suffer severely when cuts to SS and Medicare occur.

Aaron747

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 13):
Except that Florida's another big ponzi scheme in the making.

Not to mention generally crime-ridden.

However, the higher salaries don't offset the higher cost of living.

They very well can. If you're a recent graduate trying to save money by living with your parents and you're from Chicago, you'll make less than a recent grad living with their parents making 20% more salary in Boston or LA.

Neither of which will pay your bills.

Better weather is useful though. Here in Hawaii it means never having to buy winter clothes for your kids, never having to winterize plumbing, and zero heating bills. Don't need to run air conditioning often either since the trades will blow through any open window most days. These things do actually balance out.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Superfly

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:26 am

One of the reason's for me moving to Florida. Where I live we have little crime, no traffic, low taxes and agreat environment to bring up kids.

No crime in Florida?!?!?!  Wow!
This is the first time I've ever heard this.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):
I am happy living in Kansas City

I thought you lived in Namibia.   

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):
So, Cook and Chicago are bad, but Illinois really isn't...so that also explains why Chicagoland population rose while Chicago population dropped.

Get's even cheaper if you go to the suburbs just to the southeast in Indiana.
Taxes are much lower on the Indiana side of the boarder. Lot's more greenspace, parks, hills, clean beaches and great schools. Gas cost about 30 less per gallon and you can buy fireworks for the 4th of July.  
Chicago is cheaper than LA, San Francisco, Washington, DC, New York and Boston.

That is changing my the second. In many ways, Chicago has caught up and even surpassed those cities in terms of cost.
I found food and booze in Chicago cost more than in San Francisco and Los Angeles. The grocery stores are more expensive as well. Granted the CTA system is one of the best in the nation but fares have gone up and I believe they got rid of transfers. For every segment of your bus trip, it cost $2.00. If you need to take 2 buses to get to your destination, it's $4.00 each way ($8.00) round-trip.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 4):
Yikes - i have lived in the city for over 10 years, and there is not a day that regret my choice.

Bet you wouldn't say that if you lived anywhere south of 35th street.
Bring back the Concorde

GuitrThree

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:30 am

Chicago is a very expensive place to live. You are taxed to death by the city and the state. Everything seems to be more expensive there. Your money just does not go as far as it does in other places.

And yet today, the great citizens of Chicago elected Washington D.C.'s own Rahm Emanuel as their mayor. Thus continuing the endless taxation cycle.. Way to go Chicago!!!
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

Superfly

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:40 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 16):
And yet today, the great citizens of Chicago elected Washington D.C.'s own Rahm Emanuel as their mayor. Thus continuing the endless taxation cycle.. Way to go Chicago!!!

Just saw the headlines.  
This has cemented the decline of Chicago city proper. What a great city it used to be.
Rahm will be a continuation of Richard Daley and Rahm will be mayor for life.
Considering Rahm is fairly young, he'll be mayor for the next 30 years.
Shame on you Chicago.
Bring back the Concorde

flanker

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 am

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):
So, Cook and Chicago are bad, but Illinois really isn't...so that also explains why Chicagoland population rose while Chicago population dropped.

There are areas of Illinois that are nice yes, but as a whole, the state is a broke overtaxed bureaucratic shit hole with a bunch of straight and boring roads that lead to places like Carbondale.

Yep I will be, either Florida or Texas as soon as I can.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 4):
Why - may as ask you feel this way?

Don't get me wrong, I love the city itself, always have. What I don't like is everything that has gone wrong with it and the state in general. And I really wish you would have experienced it during the mid 1990s.

You should move to the south west burbs. Burr Ridge/Darien.. etc. Great place to live.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

BMI727

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:10 am

Quoting flanker (Reply 18):
There are areas of Illinois that are nice yes, but as a whole, the state is a broke overtaxed bureaucratic shit hole with a bunch of straight and boring roads that lead to places like Carbondale.

That's about the size of it. Some of the downstate (in the "not Chicago" sense) that are home to major companies, and therefore people with money, are pretty nice. The Twin Cities are nice, and while Peoria is a ghetto, many of the surrounding communities are comfortable. Haven't spent too much time in the Quad Cities, but they seem to be pretty much the same thing. I never felt much desire to spend any time south of Peoria though.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Superfly

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 am

LOL!  
Quoting BMI727 (Reply 19):
The Twin Cities are nice, and while Peoria is a ghetto,

Hometown of Richard Prior.  
And I really wish you would have experienced it during the mid 1990s.

Dude I was there in the 1970s & 1980s.  
I was even on channel 9 WGN TV show Bozo Circus back in 1978.   

There is a huge untapped oasis in northwest Indiana and I think all the thugs have been killed off in Gary.
All Gary needs to do is get elected officials that know how to run things and the area will be great again.
The neighborhood I grew up in (Miller) is trying to succeed from the rest of Gary and call the city Miller Beach.
Nice big homes with huge lots, dunes, forest, clean beach front, ponds and still only a 30 minute drive to downtown Chicago. Already has the rail line that links to downtown and goes as far east as South Bend.
Already has an airport (GYY) in which Boeing execs. park their private jets.
Other surrounding communities such as Shereville, Munster, Dyer and Merriville are safe cities with good schools, lots of parks and very clean.
Taxes are very low as well.

Aside from the el-train and deep dish pizza, what else is there? It's not like you're gonna go to the museums every single day. Their women at the clubs there are some of the biggest heifers I've ever seen, have bad attitudes, tattoos and smoke like chimneys.
Bring back the Concorde

flanker

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
Dude I was there in the 1970s & 1980s.

oh cool but my reply was to mt88 lol

BMI727

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
I was even on channel 9 WGN TV show Bozo Circus back in 1978.

My dad always tells the story of watching that show when one kid exclaimed "Oh Shit!" after being unable to toss a ball into a bucket.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

FlyPNS1

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
Taxes are much lower on the Indiana side of the boarder.

Can't make up for the fact that Gary is a sewer and it's not going to change. And if Chicago does decline, those Indiana suburbs will get taken down with it.

Chicago has caught up and even surpassed those cities in terms of cost.

No, it hasn't. The cost of living data clearly shows that Chicago is no where near those cities. If anything, it will fall further behind as housing prices are on the rise in SF, LA, DC and NYC.

mt99

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Bet you wouldn't say that if you lived anywhere south of 35th street.

That can be said of any city really...

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
Rahm will be a continuation of Richard Daley

Thank God! Definitively happy about that!

You should move to the south west burbs. Burr Ridge/Darien.. etc. Great place to live.

Are kidding me? When i first moved to the area i lived in Lisle.. Now that i look back on my time there, i tell you that i think i had some level of depression. Suburbia is awful...

Superfly

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:23 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 23):
The cost of living data clearly shows that Chicago is no where near those cities.

Not sure how they're collecting that data. I just know from the things that I normally buy on a day to day basis is higher in Chicago than in San Francisco.
I found that the meats at Dominics & Jewels were more than Safeway and Albertsons. Wine at the grocery stores cost more as well. Restaurants are more expensive as well. Hyde Park real estate cost the same as the S.F. Mission district. Lincoln Park real estate cost the same as S.F. Castro district. Suburban DuPage county cost the same as Orange co. and Contra Costa co.
The only difference is that the rough areas of the south side of Chicago is cheaper than Oakland and Hunters Point section of San Francisco.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 22):
My dad always tells the story of watching that show when one kid exclaimed "Oh Shit!" after being unable to toss a ball into a bucket.

That wasn't me!
I swear it wasn't!   

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 23):
if Chicago does decline, those Indiana suburbs will get taken down with it.

Why do you say?

Quoting mt99 (Reply 24):
Rahm will be a continuation of Richard Daley

Thank God! Definitively happy about that!

Check back to this thread in about 10 years.  
Bring back the Concorde

Type-Rated

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:32 am

Dominicks has been owned by Safeway for about 8 years now. It's not what it used to be.

Superfly

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:35 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 26):
Dominicks has been owned by Safeway for about 8 years now. It's not what it used to be.

Interesting. That explains why I was able ot use my red discount card. The prices were still higher for the same product.
Bring back the Concorde

flanker

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 24):
Are kidding me? When i first moved to the area i lived in Lisle.. Now that i look back on my time there, i tell you that i think i had some level of depression. Suburbia is awful...

Thats becasue its Lisle. Everyone in Lisle, Westmont and Lemont has depression.

Burr Ridge, Hinsdale,Oakbrook, Downers Grove.. etc are great places to live. We had a house in Burr Ridge that was on 5 acres of land and it was the last house on a dead end street (only 3 houses on that street btw). It was next to a forest and every morning there were deer and other animals at the doorstep. 5 minutes from 355/I55/294 and best of all, NO traffic or conjestion almost anywhere. How can I get depressed about that?  cloudnine 

What I do get depressed about is when I have to drive by pulaski/lawrence and see people and cars packed like cattle.

boggled 

[Edited 2011-02-24 08:23:11]

flanker

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 26):
Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
Interesting. That explains why I was able ot use my red discount card. The prices were still higher for the same product.

I love how Dominicks is now. It used to be a shit hole. I had always been a fan of Jewel until the mid 2000's when Dominicks revamped their stores. I find the produce, layout, prices and atmosphere to be 100000% better than Jewel. Just wish that the stores around here are open 24/7, I really don't like going to Jewel.

Thats just me though.

mt99

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 28):
It was next to a forest and every morning there were deer and other animals at the doorstep.

Did you see have corn too? Shudder...

pulaski/lawrence

Why would you ever go there? Besides.. congestion = life and things happening

Thats becasue its Lisle. Everyone in Lisle, Westmont and Lemont has depression.

Burr Ridge, Hinsdale,Oakbrook, Downers Grove.

Lisle is 2 blocks from Downers'.. Yuck

[Edited 2011-02-24 08:32:04]

flanker

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):
Lisle is 2 blocks from Downers'.. Yuck

Downers is actually very nice unlike Westmont. Everyday I pass by Audi, Benz, Bmw, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrai, Bentley and unfortunately Toyota and Lexus.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):
Did you see have corn too? Shudder...

Haha, no its not rural Aurora so no there is no corn there. They are all mostly multi million dollar homes (well, they were), so nobody really grows anything.

Its just a nice quiet place to live.

Venus6971

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 29):
I love how Dominicks is now. It used to be a shit hole. I had always been a fan of Jewel until the mid 2000's when Dominicks revamped their stores. I find the produce, layout, prices and atmosphere to be 100000% better than Jewel. Just wish that the stores around here are open 24/7, I really don't like going to Jewel.

Used to be a stocker in a Garfalos in Tinley Park a small chain back in the late 70's early 80's plus a union member UFCW, I bet the employees are making less now in those stores now than what I made in 1979. When I visit now all I can see is traffic, strip malls, and housing development. When my parents moved to Orland Park in 1985 they still had working farms but now they are all housing developments. I read a story not to long ago about the last working farm in Cook County being sold to a developer, it always worries me for the future when I see good farm land plowed over for a commercial property. There is now no way in hell I would ever live in Illinois again, that is one place where taxation without representation is in effect.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

mt99

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 31):
Its just a nice quiet place to live.

And that the problem...

I could really care less about the Audi, Benz, Bmw, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrai, Bentley there.. There are plenty in the Gold Coast too ..

Personally i feel that living in the city offers opens up so much many activities and things to do.. Unless you like watching corn grow, or deer pasture..

flanker

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):
Why would you ever go there? Besides.. congestion = life and things happening

Well I used to live there. It WAS a nice place 10-12 years ago. I am around that area a lot because I still have family living in the vicinity.

Type-Rated

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Westmont was a hole even back in the 60's!

I lived in Lisle back in the early 70's. I thought it was quite nice. What has happened since? A buddy of mine who flies for WN just bought a house there.

sw733

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 am

lead to places like Carbondale

Can't expect salukis to run on rocky trails, can you?

I thought you lived in Namibia.

Born and raised in Namibia to parents from suburban Chicago. I split high school between Namibia and DuPage County. Now I live in Kansas City. I bounce around a lot...

Everyone in Lisle, Westmont and Lemont has depression.

Ahahahaha

Burr Ridge, Hinsdale,Oakbrook, Downers Grove.. etc are great places to live.

Never been a big fan of Downers...