Birdwatching
Topic Author

Aviation Trip To North Korea - Anyone Interested?

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:18 pm

After reading a lot about North Korea in the recent weeks (you might have seen the other thread I have posted) I am planning to visit the country in the near future. I have had plans to travel there for many years, being a high school geography teacher I have a great interest in visiting the various different areas of our planet and North Korea would be a very special place to visit.

I'm also thinking about giving the trip an aviation theme, with one or two domestic flights on Air Koryo in addition to the inbound trip from China. Unfortunately the possibilities for photography will be limited, but not impossible at all.

I have contacted Koryo Tours (not related to Air Koryo) with these ideas and am now waiting for them to suggest me an itinerary, options and pricing. Judging by their prices for taylor-made group tours, a trip like this one would cost around (maybe a bit less than) 2000 EUR all in.

I'm thinking about 5 people as a good group size (they have great discounts if the group size is around 5 or above), and I was wondering if anybody here on A.net would be interested in this. As I'm just now beginning to plan this, the dates are still more than 1 year in the future, between My 27 and June 9, 2012.

Anybody in?

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

aa61hvy

RE: Aviation Trip To North Korea - Anyone Interested?

Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:43 pm

I'd be a very very very soft maybe on your trip. I have always wanted to go there, I have done a great deal of research on NK over the last few years, purely out of intrigue and interest. That said I have no idea where I'll be in 12 months most likely switching jobs and moving. So put me as a very very very very slim maybe at this point. Plus I'd have to bring my lady and she is more leery going to NK than I am.
Go big or go home

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Count me in as a possibly-maybe-unsure-leaning towards yes maybe. A trip to NK would be out of this world, but then again, I'm not right next door and US citizenship can be a problem. I'd need to get a visa to enter China (I assume you would leave from Beijing) and a permit to enter NK.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aeroflot777

Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Count me in as 'potentially interested' well. I've been wanting to get over to North Korea for a while now. This might be a good way to do it, as long as the country's political position doesn't deteriorate and become of concern.

I would definitely be interested in seeing more than just "the usual" in the country. Being a dual-citizen holding both US and Russian passports, I would imagine completing this journey with the Russian citizenship will be easier.

Aeroflot777

ShyFlyer

Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 2):
US citizenship can be a problem.

It's not impossible, but there are obstacles to overcome that would likely add a lot of money to such a trip.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...is/cis_988.html#entry_requirements
I lift things up and put them down.

KingFriday013

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:55 pm

A few of us who frequent the chat were thinking about doing a similar trip, although it wouldn't be any time soon. Let us know how it goes! Best of luck.

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

NorthstarBoy

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:34 pm

I'd be interested.......If i can even get a visa to go into NK given that i'm an "evil american."

Do they even have domestic flights within NK?

I was planning another RTW trip for 2012 but going to NK might trump that, sounds like a fascinating opportunity.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

sccutler

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:59 pm

In a world loaded with amazing and inviting destinations, I cannot fathom choosing DPRK as a destination. I do admit to a significant measure of curiosity about the place, but not enough to justify actually giving money to them.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Dazed767

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:49 am

It's something I've looked into as well and a buddy of mine has emailed Koryo Tours with questions we had as well. Financially it's going to have to wait for me, but something I'd like to do in the near future. VICE Guide to North Korea by VBS was fascinating to watch.

aa61hvy

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:15 am

Quoting Dazed767 (Reply 8):
VICE Guide to North Korea by VBS was fascinating to watch.

That collection of videos was what originally had me interested in NK. That place blows me away.
Go big or go home

dxing

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:01 pm

This sounds interesting. Given how badly they treat "official" visitors, following them, berating them, even threatening them I don't see it as a very enjoyable vacation. You certainly won't be able to deviate from the prescribed routine without someone getting after you. It will be like a giant Chernobyl tour only worse, at least they let you wander around Pripyat on your own a little. Let us know how the planning is going though.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

MattRB

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Having seen a travel show on the DPRK (Departures - anyone outside of Canada know it?), I'd been very interested in going. They did the tour through Koryo (I believe) as Nick Bonner (http://www.koryogroup.com/about_staff.php) was their guide.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

nighthawk

Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:00 pm

put me down - ive always been interested in DPRK and considered visiting a few times.

airtrainer

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Sounds like a fantastic opprtunity, put me on the maybe list !

Here's an interesting link to a trip report made by a guy who is apparently as mad with trains as we are with planes  http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/

I also remember of a long video on youtube but I can't find it...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

TupolevTu154

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:05 pm

Sounds good Soren, I'm a very promising looking maybe!