fxramper
Topic Author

Drinking At Work.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Odds are your Grandfather poured himself a scotch neat at the office after he had closed a big deal so what happened to having a few drinks at the office? Don Draper still does it.   

article

wilco737

RE: Drinking At Work.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
few drinks at the office?

Well, I am not doing it at all, never ever, not an option, not even thinking about it!! No chance...

wilco737

fxramper
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Quoting Wilco737 (Reply 1):
Well, I am not doing it at all, never ever, not an option, not even thinking about it!! No chance...

If you bothered to read the article Phil, there was a disclaimer for commercial pilots need not respond.   

Tugger

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:13 pm

And: "A toast to another excellent landing!" errr.... OK maybe not....  

Actually a drink with lunch still happens regularly (though not as regularly as it used to be). I am sure that the higher up you go in a company the more it may be acceptable, depending on the boss' nature and opinion on the matter.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

wilco737

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 2):
If you bothered to read the article Phil, there was a disclaimer for commercial pilots need not respond.

I read the article... And I wanted to add that I am not allowed to drink at work and even 12 hours before work I am not allowed. Is that a problem for me? nope, not at all. I can live without alc.

wilco737

fxramper
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Quoting Wilco737 (Reply 4):

I'd love to see a picture in the Anet database with you cheersing your captain on final approach into DEL.   

desertjets

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Don Draper still does it.

I don't think Don Draper is the best roll model.

People respond differently to alcohol and that could be a problem. A beer or three and I may be done (I am such a lightweight and hardly drink anything these days) or ready to take a nap. Some people can be pleasant with a drink or two in them and some people become d-bags. Given all that variability why allow drinking at work? And in certain lines of work, other than commercial pilots, drinking would absolutely not be desirable. I wouldn't want my physician to be having a two martini lunch.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

wilco737

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 5):
I'd love to see a picture in the Anet database with you cheersing your captain on final approach into DEL.

Maybe we can set up one... But better not. Will bring us in trouble and I don't need trouble.
Why to DEL? Maybe with a Kingfisher beer?

wilco737

tu204

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Obviously when I am flying, this is a big no-no. And in Russia you get checked before every flight.
However, on my second, part-time job we do often have a beer or two as long as it does not interfere with my flying.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

HAWK21M

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Not permitted in Maintenance & 12 hrs prior too.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

kingairta

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:09 pm

We did the other day at lunch. The boss broke out a bottle of tequila and we all had a shot or two with lunch.

Aeroflot777

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:27 pm

My company keeps a fully stocked fridge of beers at all times. I'm talking like 12-15 crates at a time. Anyone and everyone is allowed to drink at the end of the day - and most people do.

sw733

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 6):

Hell I think he's a great role model for how to be a bad ass  

fxramper
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 12):

I'll drink to that!   

Oh wait, I'm at the office.   

WildcatYXU

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Drinking at work? Not really a problem around here. We are a brewery after all. However, I still drink only de-alcoholized product at lunch.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

AGM100

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:41 pm

In the 80's when I started working at a MRO doing heavy maintenance on CV-580's , 737's,727 . I was really surprised at how many guys had a beer or a few at lunch time ... the rules were pretty lax to say the least. We had groups that would go off sight for lunch and buy a few 40's and hang out. More shocking was a small group of guys who would go to a area on the far ramp behind the hangers and sit around and smoke the green ...

It was against the rules ... but know one enforced it . Then someone left a spanner wrench loose near a CV-580 vertical stab cable reel mechanism which blocked it on a pre flight check out and things changed. We also had a incident where cargo got loaded in the aft bag pit on a 722 without anyone knowing about it ...the aircraft flap setting were messed up and it was kinda dicey for the crew . Another incident involved a forklift operator using the bootstrap chain fall system to remove #1 engine on a 722. He was drunk or had been drinking and proceeded to bounce a JT-9D on the concrete when he lurched the forklift back to quickly ... ouch.

Management got with it and the rules changed ....
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

KingFriday013

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:48 pm

I think it depends on your job. I've gone out with coworkers in my accounting office over the summer and they ordered a pitcher of margarita, and I would have a glass or two, but never more than they did. Sometimes I felt a little buzzed but I was always able to get back to work. That's the important thing I think, as long as you can work then do whatever you want I guess.

On the other hand, here at my school, I work for security. Drinking on this job would be totally unacceptable, I believe, as it's against university policy to drink at all (at least when underage), so it would be sort of hypocritical. However I know some people who do it, and they have very little respect from me. When I get a phone call "Josh, I'm half drunk and I have to go to the res quad!" or something along those lines, I usually just hang up. It could be worse though; last year, apparently people came into work high. Glad I wasn't working back then, otherwise I would have said something.

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Starbuk7

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 15):
In the 80's

The Navy was this way in the early 80's as well, I remember more that one occasion going to lunch with you chief and having a couple bears with lunch, but that has changed through the 90's and into this century it is not tolerated at all.

BAViscount

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 11):
My company keeps a fully stocked fridge of beers at all times. I'm talking like 12-15 crates at a time.

It was the same at the company I just finished working for in Amsterdam. Beer, wine, spirits...pretty much everything you could want. Although the only time anyone touched it was after 5pm every Friday at the weekly "borrel". And I should probably add that alcohol was not the only vice that some people enjoyed at those events too!

Having spent most of my working life working in and around London I was used to the Friday tradition of a few beers at lunchtime. It was almost expected that next to nothing would be done workwise on a Friday afternoon. In one particular job it was not uncommon for my boss to get her drinking head on and for the whole team to eventually phone a friendly administrator in the office to ask her to switch off our PCs and lock away our laptops...those sessions would go on late into the evening having started at noon!

I do remember one funny occasion when I was working at my first ever job. I was a computer operator at the time and we worked a 24 hour shift system. This particular day I was due to work the Sunday night shift, working from 8pm to 8am. There were three of us working that night, the shift manager plus two of us operators. The shift manager who had just worked the day shift said that there wasn't a lot going on and asked my shift manager if it was OK to take the two of us operators for a couple of beers. So off we went to the pub. To cut a long story short, I eventually rolled back into the office some three hours later barely able to speak, let alone work!! I still remember my shift manager asking me if I was "in control" as I sat there trying to type in commands to run nightly batch jobs. I of course said (or probably slurred!) that I was, but when I checked the printed audit trail of what I had done a day later, I obviously hadn't been in control, although luckily I had managed to do what was expected of me! Fortunately there really wasn't a lot to do that night, so we were allowed to go home a couple of hours later instead of working till 8am.

But these days it seems to be less of a common practice, people are just too busy to write off a whole working afternoon for the sake of a few lunchtime beers.  
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

DocLightning

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 3):
And: "A toast to another excellent landing!" errr.... OK maybe not....

I hear that's how they do it at S7...   

In medicine, of course, this is never allowed. That said, I have seen an exception. As a resident, I was on call and we ordered out for Italian food. When it showed up, there was a free bottle of wine. The senior resident went and got cups and each of us had about 5mm of it. When I was in Spain, it was Working Womens' Day and they served migas and sangria (albeit really weak sangria) in the hospital. That was a surprise for me. But in general, I find that Europeans are much more tolerant of alcohol as a part of life than Americans are.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

airportugal310

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
But in general, I find that Europeans are much more tolerant of alcohol as a part of life than Americans are.

Agreed with this. Having spent some good amounts of time there, it is totally OK. But then again in most aspects of life, they are more relaxed. Could write paragraphs of stories, but don't have the time.

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 11):
My company keeps a fully stocked fridge of beers at all times. I'm talking like 12-15 crates at a time. Anyone and everyone is allowed to drink at the end of the day - and most people do.

Awesome indeed. Not the drinking part per se (though thats great), but more the principal behind it.

I have no problem going out and having a beer during lunch and coming back to work. I feel more relaxed, and being in a sales role, more open on the phone and jovial. Helps to seal the deal sometimes!
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

andz

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 15):
Another incident involved a forklift operator using the bootstrap chain fall system to remove #1 engine on a 722. He was drunk or had been drinking and proceeded to bounce a JT-9D on the concrete when he lurched the forklift back to quickly ... ouch.

That must have been some badass 727 with JT-9Ds!!!!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

ba6590

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

In medicine, of course, this is never allowed.

I always make sure there is more than 12 hours between the start of my shift and my last drink.
I have been guilty of the one off late drinking night before work. But never again, I had to ask my registrar if I could take a couple of hours break to get a coffee and a nap.

I wouldnt go any where near alcohol while at work though, just as id expect my pilot/bus driver or anyone in direct control of my safety to do the same.

DocLightning

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Quoting BA6590 (Reply 22):

I always make sure there is more than 12 hours between the start of my shift and my last drink.

I go with 8. 8 hours from bottle to bedside. But then, I rarely drink and when I do I don't get drunk. It's been a long time since I was impaired enough that, for example, I would be unable to operate a car. I typically drink one and call it quits.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

lewis

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 pm

I have never seen people ordering alcohol at company lunches so I guess not. We may have a couple of beers after 5, sometimes we have to head back afterwards to do more work so we never overdo it.

FighterPilot

Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:08 pm

The CAR's say:

602.03 No person shall act as a crew member of an aircraft

(a) within eight hours after consuming an alcoholic beverage;

(b) while under the influence of alcohol; or

(c) while using any drug that impairs the person's faculties to the extent that the safety of the aircraft or of persons on board the aircraft is endangered in any way.

So no, I'm in the same boat as Phil.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

bill142

Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 pm

It was a regular thing that every Friday, myself and a few people from work would go out for lunch and have a few beers. Our superiors were well aware of this and never had an issue with it as we would return to work and perform our duties as expected, even if we weren't as productive as normal. It's all down to moderation and self control. If alcohol causes you issues, simply don't drink on the job. There were plenty of people who came out with us for lunch who chose not to drink.

srbmod

Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 6):
Quoting sw733 (Reply 12):

Roger Sterling is the best role model.........   

I've never drank on the job. There's been plenty of times where I really wanted to as I was having a really crappy day at work...... The closest I've ever come to drinking on the job, is having one or two a few hours before work back when I worked evening shifts.

I think my ultimate job would be to work at a craft brewery or a brewpub, as you typically do get to sample the product.... I've got a friend who works in management for a brewpub chain where he lives, and sampling the beers is part of his job.

mirrodie

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Funny but I JUST posted the original Bloomie Bizweek article on my FB page last week.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_41/b4198085656723.htm

Sometimes I feel a glass of red wine is warranted after certain encounters.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

ShyFlyer

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Sometimes I feel my job is going to cause me to start drinking.
I lift things up and put them down.

AGM100

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 21):
That must have been some badass 727 with JT-9Ds!!!!

Man them guys were drunk!  JT8D-9A's that was the engine at the time sorry .... 

After management started cracking down on everyone ... the unfortunate backlash was that if you happened to have a accident at work you were tested immediately. While I was raising the nose dock hanger door one time I didn't see that someone had put the monsoon door lock on it . I raised it and a 12ft piece of angle iron fell about 10 feet over me and whacked me open on the noggin. When I got to the health clinic they wizz quizzed me and had me do a breathalyzer before they stitched my head up!. Insurance issues I am sure ...

canoecarrier

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:43 pm

In consulting it's not all that uncommon at my work to have a beer at work with coworkers. But, there was a time not long ago where many company leaders had a fully stocked bars in their office. It was also very common in the legal field to have a bar in a partner's office. I can remember sending over a case of scotch once to our legal counsel after they won a court case for us. I doubt they waited until 5pm to open a bottle and enjoy.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Odds are your Grandfather poured himself a scotch neat at the office after he had closed a big deal so what happened to having a few drinks at the office? Don Draper still does it.

Probably doesn't happen a lot in the USA aside from business lunch's with high ranking executives, but it's not like that everywhere. A couple years ago I was bar tending in Germany, and it was common to drink beer or shoot a few shots behind the bar. Occasionally, probably a little more than should have been consumed? Plus, all workers at the hotel I worked at got two free drinks at the end of each shift if they wanted to come down to the bar! Great fun, though! Not even like work!

I believe I've heard at the Mercedes headquarters in Germany, workers get two free beers per shift?

[Edited 2011-03-22 14:49:32]

signol

Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Before he left, (not the company, he went to open a branch office in Austin, Texas) our American technical director had a beer fridge in his office, and come Friday at 5pm everyone would have a (single) beer. People took it in turns to buy a case to replace the beers. Since he left, no more beers  
On a couple of occasions we've gone for a pub lunch, and had a (single) pint with a meal, but it made me feel so sleepy in the afternoon that no longer - if we do go out, it's a coke for me.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Maverick623

Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 pm

There are certain jobs where a beer or two can be beneficial. Marketing, consulting, and high-end legal jobs come to mind. Anything more than that, and I think there's a problem.

Anyone who has to handle any equipment more complicated than a computer or a chair-on-wheels shouldn't be drinking at work, and shouldn't be drinking before work, either.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

DocLightning

Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 33):
Before he left, (not the company, he went to open a branch office in Austin, Texas) our American technical director had a beer fridge in his office, and come Friday at 5pm everyone would have a (single) beer.

To be fair, that's not drinking on the job. That's drinking after hours. Those are two very different things.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

signol

Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
That's drinking after hours.

Not really - we worked until 5.30. But it is a bit of overlap...

signol

fxramper
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 27):

Cheers to you Steve!

Aesma

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:41 am

At several companies where I worked (and also a public research institution) there was wine available at the staff cafeteria, that's quite popular in France.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

signol

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:11 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 38):
At several companies where I worked (and also a public research institution) there was wine available at the staff cafeteria, that's quite popular in France.

When I worked at the Air France HQ at Roissy, there was wine (and beer) available at the staff cantine. Obviously, pilots and cabin crew were only allowed to drink it after their shifts.

I do remember a story one of the cabin crew told me. She was asked by a pilot (during a long haul flight) to bring him a beer with his meal. She refused as it wasn't allowed, but told him he knew where they were if he wanted (he went and got...)

signol

cpd

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:27 am

It's strictly frowned upon where I am.

Each year when the Melbourne cup is on, the media has a habit of calling up our major phone numbers to see if we are working, and if they don't get an answer immediately, they run a story in the next day's paper about it.

I'd like to know what the media is doing at the same time...

[Edited 2011-03-22 18:30:13]

[Edited 2011-03-22 18:33:27]

bananaboy

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 am

My partner works for a wine distributor and has nearly daily wine tastings. There is always wine open. Hard life.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

melpax

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:23 am

Quoting bill142 (Reply 26):

Same here, as long as you didn't come back smelling of booze & you could still function as normal, there was no issue. However, there were a few guys who were heavy drinkers who would come back from lunch most days with a strong beer smell on them after downing a 6 pack or 2, they were soon dealt with. Anythng goes at Friday night drinks at the pub though....

When I used to work in retail, the last company I worked for had a strict no-drinking policy during working hours, even at lunch.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

swissy

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:46 am

Back in the days in the CH...sure we had a beer or glass of wine with our lunch at the restaurant. Still remember when I was young my mother always had a grocery stores and I could not believe how much booze/food these construction workers drank/eat over lunch time... 

Since I moved to Canada...noting anymore and if we go out, zero booze for me, drink only at home...

Cheerios,

ozglobal

Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:25 pm

But in general, I find that Europeans are much more tolerant of alcohol as a part of life than Americans are.

An Australian friend of mine was backpacking in Europe in the 70's and after having spent 2 months or so in UK, not without some drinking..., came to Paris. After 2 weeks here, a french gentlemen asked her, "So, Joan, you've been here a while now. How do you find Paris?" She answered that she loved it and that it was beautiful, but that one thing had struck her, "You hear how much the French love their wine and so forth, but do you know, after having seen how they drink in the UK and now here, in 2 weeks, I don't think I've seen a single person in the street drunk." He said, "Ah, yes, Joan; But have you seen ANYONE .... ENTIRELY... sober....?"
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

sw733

Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 27):

Yeah but then he pimped himself out to that devil firm known as The Adjustment Bureau...$20 says they're not approved by the BBB.

tommy767

Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Yes I have. A few times in my past life in LA at lunch with beer mainly. Currently at this company I work at in NYC, people keep bottles of liquor in their offices and cubicals in OPEN VIEW of the hallways. The best part: Nobody cares. I've never have been slammed at lunch but I have had some scotch in a co-workers office this past x-mas.

VERTICT: Drinking on the job is FUN! But I have to say drinking beer at lunch time is the worst. I hate the bloated and tired feeling I get from it. I'd rather drink hard liquor or wine.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

AGM100

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 46):
VERTICT: Drinking on the job is FUN! But I have to say drinking beer at lunch time is the worst. I hate the bloated and tired feeling I get from it. I'd rather drink hard liquor or wine.

:D  Dude this is hilarious ! How does the company get away with that ?

texan

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:12 am

We have a liquor license at work. Bar opens every Friday at 4:30. Spend the week dispensing legal advice, finish the week up by sharing a drink or two with colleagues. I have one of the best jobs in the world.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

tommy767

Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 47):
:D Dude this is hilarious ! How does the company get away with that ?

it's a Privately owned company and I think the unstated rule is as long as people aren't noticibly drinking in clear view of the halls and/or the liquor bottles are sealed up or in boxes then it's fine. It's not like people are getting tanked in their offices on a daily basis -- if that were the case no work would get done  
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA