fxramper
Topic Author

What Do You Think Of Anthony Bourdain?

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:12 pm

Host of No Reservations on the Travel Channel; he sounds witty, but they write a hell of a script. Get a drink in him and he turns into a profanity laced idiot most of the time. I enjoy seeing the places he visits but he seems like just another fowl mouthed tv personality with an opinion about everything. I'm not impressed. Thoughts?

his tv show

Speedbird741

RE: What Do You Think Of Anthony Bourdain?

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Irriting voice.

Speedbird741
Boa noite Faro, Air Portugal 257 climbing flight level 340

doug_or

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Same boat. Like the show, hate the guy. It is one of the best travel shows on television I think (although I consider most unwatchable), but he is a like a mash-up of every cliched New Yorker stereotype that I couldn't stand. I did really enjoy watching him flop at the speaking engagement in the New Zealand episode. At least he had a sense of humor and humility about it.
When in doubt, one B pump off

AeroWesty

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 am

He's a much better author than TV personality. I read his book Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly a few years ago, and it was really entertaining. So much so, I read it a second time a couple of months later, and am thinking about picking up his other books for summertime reading.
International Homo of Mystery

Aaron747

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:14 am

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 2):
At least he had a sense of humor and humility about it.

Genuinely a nice buy from what I've heard - catch him at book signings or low key TV interviews and he plainly comes across as a dude who's been around the block and knows how lucky he has been. Probably a real jerk to those closer to him though, as the two divorces will attest  
he is a like a mash-up of every cliched New Yorker stereotype that I couldn't stand

He plays this up to the nth degree because he knows it's what sells. His unabashedly liberal political talking points annoy me though - sometimes it seems he thinks his little guerilla political commentary doesn't register with people but it's really too much of his show script.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 3):
picking up his other books for summertime reading.

I would recommend doing so. A Cook's Tour is particularly enjoyable. He is absolutely in love with food and his descriptions of things in places from Japan to Mexico to Russia are simply top-notch. Some nice anecdotes about rediscovering French food in France with his somewhat estranged brother as well.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

windy95

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:20 am

Like him and the show. To me the best show on that network.

AeroWesty

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:41 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 4):
Some nice anecdotes about rediscovering French food in France with his somewhat estranged brother as well.

What I liked the most about Kitchen Confidential was his character and situation development, that I found totally absorbing. I hope it continues in his other books.
International Homo of Mystery

srbmod

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:20 am

Quoting windy95 (Reply 5):

I can watch episodes all day and I know there's some I've seen at least a dozen times or more.

I've been meaning to start reading his books for a number of years now, just haven't gotten around to them yet.

In some respects, it's a bit funny that the Travel Channel is now majority owned by the company that also owns the Food Network, a network that Tony had a rocky relationship with about a decade ago with his series "A Cook's Tour" (which is where I first because acquainted with him). Over the course of the various seasons of "No Reservations" he's taken a number of potshots at the Food Network (and still does, albeit to a lesser extent), but from what I have read online, there's nobody from the Food Network side meddling in his show.

sw733

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:38 am

I love the guy. He's very entertaining, and I really think I would get along with him well. As my fiance says - "watching him on a show is like watch you abroad"...go to sometimes odd places, split my meals between street food, questionable offal and upscale $200 pp dinners, drink a bit too much, curse a bit too much, a bit too sarcastic. Not saying him and I are exactly the like, but I could see myself getting along with him if I had the opportunity to hit the road with him.

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
Get a drink in him and he turns into a profanity laced idiot most of the time.

Yup, definitely me  

2707200X

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:43 am

This show is the only reason why I have the Travel Channel on my "line up" list, "No Reservations" is one of my favorite shows on TV.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

OA412
Crew

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:15 am

I haven't watched the show (or much TV for that matter) in years, but I did enjoy it back when I used to watch it. The guy clearly knows his stuff, and he's certainly not afraid to try anything once. And, given his stance on that annoying bi*** Rachel Ray, the guy has my undying respect.  
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

canoecarrier

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:34 am

Quoting windy95 (Reply 5):

Got to say I like Andrew Zimmern's show much more. I like Anthony's show, but early on he came across pretty egotistical. Who wouldn't want to have this guys job? Travel around the world, eat great food for free?

At least Zimmern went to Syria. I give him big props for that. Plus he eats bugs, goes to Mongolia. If Anthony B. had an easier to spell last name I'd talk about him more.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

flymia

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:41 am

I do not like some of his view points but he knows what he is talking about with food. Love the show. Watch it all the time and he does a good job in it. Overall I like him.

Also he has the BEST job in the world.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Continental

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:04 am

An awesome dude. I enjoyed his books and No Reservations is one of my favorite TV shows. He seems very articulate and intelligent despite nearly destroying himself with so many drugs for so many years.

doug_or

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 7):
he's taken a number of potshots at the Food Network (and still does, albeit to a lesser extent), but from what I have read online, there's nobody from the Food Network side meddling in his show.

He also takes shots at travel channel folks (Samantha Brown- I'm looking at you [and your vacuous empty eyes are looking at nothing). Pretty much anyone (or anything) his viewers may have seen is made fun of.

fxramper
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:01 pm

he is a like a mash-up of every cliched New Yorker stereotype

Quoting sw733 (Reply 8):
Yup, definitely me

He just tries to hard on his show. He's like a completely different person on Top Chef.   

jfk69

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:43 pm

He is a chef. He is an arrogant person, they seem to go hand in hand.

I like the earlier episodes much better than the newer stuff as the later episodes (until this season which is better than the previous 2) tend to be more artsy then travel/ food show.

P3Orion

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:05 pm

It seems like he would be fun to hang around. But, when things go "south" with the locals, while he is high tailing it out of the situation he created; you would be the one with the black eye.
I will have a Manhattan.

exFATboy

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:46 pm

On his show he's an obnoxious git...but an entertaining obnoxious git. How much of that is real and how much is played up for the cameras, I have no idea - I suspect it's based on his real personality to a degree, but played up, just as Gordon Ramsay in Hell's Kitchen or the American version of Kitchen Nightmares is much more confrontational and abrasive than he is in the British Kitchen Nightmares or The F Word.

bill142

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:15 pm

A Cooks Tour was far more interesting than No Reservations. No Reservations was good at first, but after a few season it became pretty much the same thing each week in a different location. No Reservations is also a step away from what he's good at. Cooking. When he focuses on food, he's actually quite enjoyable. I recall a show where he is in Spain and is eating and El Bulli and learning how Ferran Adria goes about his scientific approach to gastronomy and some of the creations, even down to the crockery.

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:44 pm

He has by far the most watchable travel show. I even watch it sometimes.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 11):
At least Zimmern went to Syria.

Bourdain was in Lebanon when Israel/Hizbullah made it rain 
Quoting OA412 (Reply 10):
And, given his stance on that annoying bi*** Rachel Ray, the guy has my undying respect.

I really don't understand the animosity toward RR. I don't watch her but she's probably gotten more people interested in food, and in celebrity chefs including AB, than all of the others combined.

Quoting jfk69 (Reply 16):
He is a chef. He is an arrogant person, they seem to go hand in hand.

That was pretty much the thesis of Kitchen Confidential.

Quoting bill142 (Reply 19):
I recall a show where he is in Spain and is eating and El Bulli and learning how Ferran Adria

I think he was initially pretty anti Adria. Molecular gastronomy is my Rachel Ray.
E pur si muove -Galileo

STT757

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Big fan of the show, especially the humor and Bourdain's dry delivery.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Doona

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 20):
Bourdain was in Lebanon when Israel/Hizbullah made it rain

And the show got an Emmy nomination for it, IIRC.

I like him. I love the fact that whatever preconceptions he has about a country or a people, which he makes no effort to hide, go out the window once he sits down to eat with them. Also, the fact that he eats and enjoys pretty much everything offered to him shows an openness of mind (and pallet) that most people lack. Even when a Namibian tribe offers him a warthog's rectum grilled in a pit of sand (without, even, any means to wash that sand off the damned thing) he eats it. Not that he enjoyed it, but he still managed to eat it.

And even though he's an accomplished chef, he has zero pretension when it comes to food. A hotdog bought on the street is just as good, as important an experience as a faux strawberry constructed by molecular gastronomist Ferran Adrià (which by the way reminds me of the Spain-episode, where he visits the "Adrià-laboratory", after which he ends up at a barbeque where the main attraction is grilled onions, which he seems to have more appreciation for). The appreciation for both simplicity AND incredible complexity is very impressive, and the contrast makes for good TV.

Hell, just the fact that he seemed to enjoy his visit to Sweden, which in my opinion has one of the most boring food cultures in the world says a lot(the best thing about Swedish food culture IMO is that we quickly and easily embrace other countries' food cultures).

I wish I could be as open to new things as he is. Sure, I try new stuff when I travel, but not to the same extent.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

LMP737

Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
Get a drink in him and he turns into a profanity laced idiot most of the time.

You can say that about a lot of people.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

blrsea

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:14 pm

I prefer "Bizzare food with Andrew Zimmern" and "Man vs Food" compared to "No reservations". Andrew Zimmern seems more natural, and genuinely interested in what he is doing. Anthony somehow seems to be acting most of the time.

steeler83

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 pm

He needs to come to the Steel City! He's gone to Cleveland, Baltimore, and Buffalo of all places, and he gives the Burgh the shaft almost every time! He'll have plenty of things to eat there, and if he's up for a good thrill, heck, there's the best white water experience this side of the Colorado just a short drive away!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

sw733

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 22):
Even when a Namibian tribe offers him a warthog's rectum grilled in a pit of sand

He needs to man up, I grew up on that stuff!

OK, not really...  

ClassicLover

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:39 pm

I read his books, watch the show and think he's very good, to be honest!

The show is very good - it's about the food, the culture, and his opinions seem to always be spot on. He's also not afraid to say when he gets something wrong, which I like. Good guy in my opinion, would like to eat with him over a few drinks!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

stlgph

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 pm

i've seen him a couple of times - my favorite is how he rips on other celebrity chefs and food presenters - but at the same time -- he's a celebrity food presenter so .... *hello*.

to me, he seems like a twit.

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 14):

He also takes shots at travel channel folks (Samantha Brown- I'm looking at you [and your vacuous empty eyes are looking at nothing). Pretty much anyone (or anything) his viewers may have seen is made fun of.

i know in good fortune he's vastly jealous of Samantha Brown. she gets a lot of creative freedom, more budgets, and a lot more shows.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

sw733

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 28):
to me, he seems like a twit.

He travels the world doing what he loves, eating ridiculously amazing food and making huge dollars from it...if that's being a twit, sign me up.

EasternSon

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 pm

I really dig his philosophy of trying to learn about different cultures, but without being a tourist.

After traveling quite a bit in foreign countries, I have seen the "ugly Americans." Bourdain I think goes out of his way not to be. Instead, he is incredibly grateful for the food and hospitality he receives in every country he visits.

Even the stuff he hates, he never bags on it in front of the people who've gone out of their way to prepare it for him. (more than I can say for Andrew Zimmern, who I can't watch for more than 5 minutes)

I try to be a conscientious traveler like Bourdain is, and would encourage everyone to take a lesson or two from him.

I also have a an affinity for him because we're both from Jersey, so we share a similar attitude. I also read Kitchen Confidential after years of working in restaurants, and LOVED it.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

stlgph

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 29):

truth be told, he makes far far less on The Travel Channel than what you would think.

doug_or

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 28):
i know in good fortune he's vastly jealous of Samantha Brown. she gets a lot of creative freedom, more budgets, and a lot more shows.

If she gets such a big budget, why does she have to spend half her damn show on the boutique hotel room she presumably got comped? That is the most (of many) annoying thing about her show (at least the European version; haven't seen her in 5 or 6 years).

stlgph

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:32 am

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 32):

Samantha's show gets a lot of freebies, yes, but her shows require a lot of behind the scenes work. It typically takes 8-9 days to tape one episode. She generally travels with a crew of 8 to 10 people on the road 230+ days a year.
8 to 10 people trekking overseas isn't cheap, no matter what comes free with it, or doesn't. Post editing production isn't cheap either.

As of now, Samantha Brown is The Travel Channel's top kitty for budgetary spending. Like her or not, she generally has a broad appeal and attracts a lot of followers/viewers and is arguably one of that particular network's most important assets.

N1120A

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:42 am

Huge fan. I love his brutal honesty and fearless nature. I also love the way he tears into Sandra Lee.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

stlgph

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:45 am

in addition to Samantha Brown, Anthony Bourdain is severely jealous of Sandra Lee. and it shows.

N1120A

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:29 am

Quoting stlgph (Reply 35):
in addition to Samantha Brown, Anthony Bourdain is severely jealous of Sandra Lee. and it shows.

Samantha Brown is no more a serious traveler than that pile of goo Rick Steves. Of course Bourdain's show is much better.

As for Lee, jealous (actually, envious) of what? That she is with the Governor of New York? Bourdain is a far more successful, actual chef and a more successful TV personality who actually knows how to cook decent food that isn't processed garbage.

I absolutely love his rant in the following link - http://ruhlman.com/2007/02/guest_blogging_.html

His take on Sandra Lee is classic, hilarious and completely true:

"SANDRA LEE: Pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time. She Must Be Stopped. Her death-dealing can-opening ways will cut a swath of destruction through the world if not contained. I would likely be arrested if I suggested on television that any children watching should promptly go to a wooded area with a gun and harm themselves. What’s the difference between that and Sandra suggesting we fill our mouths with Ritz Crackers, jam a can of Cheez Wiz in after and press hard? None that I can see. This is simply irresponsible programming. Its only possible use might be as a psychological warfare strategy against the resurgent Taliban–or dangerous insurgent groups. A large-racked blonde repeatedly urging Afghans and angry Iraqis to stuff themseles with fatty, processed American foods might be just the weapon we need to win the war on terror."
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

EA CO AS

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 am

Quoting stlgph (Reply 33):
As of now, Samantha Brown is The Travel Channel's top kitty for budgetary spending. Like her or not, she generally has a broad appeal and attracts a lot of followers/viewers and is arguably one of that particular network's most important assets.

And she's hot.   

What Do You Think Of Anthony Bourdain?

I think he's an annoying, pretentious douchebag.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

stlgph

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Anthony Bourdain can huff and puff all he wants to about Sandra Lee, but the truth is, she still has the advantage. he tried to come out with a new niche, attempting to be the next big thing ... and Sandra Lee came out and did the same thing. well, guess what, by far and by a long shot Sandra Lee has become a bigger branding and success story than he has. she has more followers, more endorsements, more pay, and a bigger following. when he was flirting around with the Food Network - he wanted her timeslot. a lot of the very thing he's ripping into her for -- he tried to do, or did do, and it never caught on. he can cook all you want to and you can tout his talents in your eyes all you want to - but the numbers and results speak for themselves.

Samantha Brown, in her own right, has proven herself as a valuable personality. her attitude and demeanor have made her pleasant to watch. the target niche audience of The Travel Channel will drink anything she puts their way. she could do a show about public restrooms and she'd get viewers. she puts out the work and it brings results - until then - she gets a free pass to travel the world and her job is hers until she decides to not pack her suitcase.

it's just the way ball rolls.

it could change 6 months from now, it could change a year from now, but as of right now, it's just the way it is.

sw733

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 37):
And she's hot.

Guess we have different eyes!  
Quoting stlgph (Reply 31):
he makes far far less on The Travel Channel than what you would think.

Doesn't surprise me, but he still isn't hurting for cash I would imagine. And between the books, the appearances, the show, etc. I imagine he does quite well for himself, doing what he loves.

stlgph

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 39):
Doesn't surprise me, but he still isn't hurting for cash I would imagine. And between the books, the appearances, the show, etc. I imagine he does quite well for himself, doing what he loves.

it's two fold. The Travel Channel has given him the opportunity to present himself doing what he likes to do. but yes, he does have to go out and make the money with the appearances. and if he's willing to do that, hey, you know, good for him, i'd love to travel around and have it all taken care of. if someone's dedicated to doing all of that - then they're in it more for the respect of what they do rather than the love of the cash they earn.

then on the opposite spectrum you have the Buddy Valastro family, etc. -- their fortunes expanded greatly, of course, thanks to Cake Boss, but as they found out, with several families all putting their hand into the pot, the money from cable goes quickly, even if you are one of the top shows on TLC. so they had to venture out into other methods -- the live tour, the live appearances, etc, which they've found a bit tiring - so hence they came out with their "Next Great Baker" show - so they could stay closer to home and bring in the cash that way.

steeler83

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:51 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 37):
I think he's an annoying, pretentious douchebag.

He doesn't bad mouth Pittsburgh, does he? I think he did in one episode when he was looking at "application" videos of potential hosts.

Does he have some disdain towards Philly, too? I don't think he's been to the City of Brotherly Love yet...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.