jetblue777

DOGS, Cats Or (Insert Animal/Pet Here)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:56 am

So do you prefer cats or dogs?

Personally, I like cats better. Less maintenance, IMO they're adorable and it kinda releases my stress when I see them.

But it doesn't mean I hate dogs, I mean I love dogs. They are more affectionate and playful while cats are just laid back, independent and lazy.

Personally, I have 6 Cats and 5 Dogs at our vacation home in the Philippines taken care by my grandma and her personal assistant.

Not to mention my two love birds and a whole aquarium of fishes (it used to be a tiny kid's pool but my grandma turned it into a giant aquarium)

My grandpa (on my mom's side) has a rice field back home and he has a "pet" water buffalo and had the pleasure to ride on top of one and boy my legs got very very itchy!

Also, some random stray cats also come to our house to eat, so we basically adopted them. LOL.
It's a cultural thing.

ShyFlyer

RE: DOGS, Cats Or (Insert Animal/Pet Here)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:08 am

Dogs are fine, as long as the belong to someone else.

I prefer cats. They seem to match my personality better. By that I mean quiet, understated, and if I trust you, I'll curl up in your lap.
I lift things up and put them down.

stratosphere

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:34 am

Was totally a dog person growing up and still love dogs...But my ex girlfriend turned me on to cats...Never knew what great animals they are. I have 4 and another 2 I am trying to find homes for. They are less maintenance true and they do have personalities just like dogs do. Mine crack me up.

rwy04lga

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:54 am

Cats...easier to leave at home when non-reving around the world. I'm usually gone for less that a week at a time, dogs would'nt work with that type of schedule. Cats have no problem with it.

Cats - 4
Dogs - 0

[Edited 2011-03-27 19:56:03]
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Confuscius

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:10 am

I like to pet my python
Ain't I a stinker?

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:19 am

I don't really prefer one or the other. I grew up with a cat, and have a dog now.

I'm allergic to cats, so tend to dislike being around them for that reason, which obviously has nothing to do with the cat itself.

My dog is also rather cat-like in some ways, for what it's worth....

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
I prefer cats. They seem to match my personality better.

So you're a 30-something single woman?

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NoUFO

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:48 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
By that I mean quiet, understated, and if I trust you, I'll curl up in your lap.

Apparently we are similar in this respect, but I do like dogs better, especially those with a puppy-like attitude such as Flat-Coated Retrievers. (I would not go to a breeder, though, but rather adopt one or two from a shelter.)
I support the right to arm bears

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:18 am

I've always been a dog person and hated cats. But about five years ago I was trying to win over a girl and I got her a kitten. I was only going to keep it a couple days, but that turned into more like five days. Then a week. Then two weeks. Then I got won over and just kept it for myself! Needless to say, the girl decided to go for somebody else! Perhaps I shouldn't have let her know I had gotten it before I decided to keep it? LOL

When I decided to go to Germany for a few years, the cat came too! Then came home in the passenger cabin as a stow-away to avoid the ridiculous pet fee I paid going over. Almost got caught during check-in when I concealed her carrying-bag in a plastic grocery bag and had it on the floor behind me while the agent was checking me in. I heard a noise and turned around and noticed the bag was squirming and thrashing about on the terminal floor! I quickly pulled it closer to the counter where they couldn't see! Then I got on the plane, and with my luck my seatmate had a small dog with her under the seat in front of her, next to my cat that was also under the seat in front of me! I can't believe I didn't get caught! She didn't make a peep for the entire 10 hour flight! Since then she's been a stow-away on several flights and is an excellent flier.

[Edited 2011-03-28 00:25:45]

Fly2HMO

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting JetBlue777 (Thread starter):
DOGS, Cats Or...

Women for me      

sw733

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:11 pm

I prefer Ligers.

But in reality, I like both. I grew up with both. Currently I only have a dog, but I have been meaning to get a cat too.

NoUFO

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 7):

Wahnsinniger! 
Life, not fiction, tells the best stories.
I support the right to arm bears

desertjets

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:41 pm

I love both, but I was originally a dog person and didn't think too much of cats. But my girlfriend changed me. And now I wake up every morning to my two cats begging for their breakfast.

I used to think cats were aloof and cold. But i know better now. Their personalities are really varied. My older gray boy is very dog like. He will come (some of the time) when called and demands your attention. My tortie kitten (not a kitten anymore) was born feral and rescued young, but is still skittish around strangers. She is my baby and when she wants attention from me she lets me know in no uncertain terms.

That said when I have a place that will allow and be better for a dog I will most certainly have one.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

aero145

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 8):
Women for me

Dude, are you really sure? Seems like you tend to dislike the women in the long run. Maybe you really should consider a wolf or a tiger (or a ♂    ) !

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):
I prefer Ligers.

Tions do it for me though.

Joking aside…………

I grew up with a cat and until one died and the other one run away in 2008, I always had had cats.

After such a long time with cats and some 25 kittens through the years, I started to dislike the cats. They’re too… there for themselves. Don’t do anything for me at all.

I’ve got to get to know some dogs through the years, and liked pretty much all of them. I nevertheless wouldn’t want to own one, the Homo sapiens’ are problematic enough.

elbandgeek

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:11 pm

Definitely a dog person although I do like cats and other animals a lot as well, my parents don't and are stirctly dog people. We have one dog and while we'd love to get another one we just don't have space. I have a feeling when I'm off on my own I'll be one of those peoples who has at least 2 dogs and 2 cats.

ScarletHarlot

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Cats for me...always. I have no maternal instinct for human children, I'm miswired to have it for cats.   We still have three cats. Our boys are getting old - they're going to be 17 in July - and have had some health struggles. Emily is nearly 11. They are wonderful.
But that was when I ruled the world

ShyFlyer

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 5):

Well, if the saying, "you are what you eat" is true, then....     
I lift things up and put them down.

aa61hvy

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Dogs.

I don't mind cats, but I'd never own one.
Go big or go home

DocLightning

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 8):

Women for me

Waay too high maintenance. Damned near impossible to train. And they hog most of the bed. They need huge cages, they stink to high heaven if not kept supplied with extensive supplies, and trying to get them to eat is next to impossible.

Admiral Nimitz is quoted as saying: "We call ships "she" because they so expensive to keep in paint and powder."

As for me, I love dogs!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 15):
Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 5):

Well, if the saying, "you are what you eat" is true, then....

Well played, well played indeed.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

zalemam

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 am

I absolutely love cats, much cleaner than dogs, and very quiet and loving...to bad I'm allergic to them and my family would never let me keep one.
Patience is Virtue

Airstud

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:33 am

Dogs have families.

Cats have staff.
Pancakes are delicious.